Titleist T300 vs Srixon ZX4/ZX5 or Mizuno?

BTee17

On 9/9/2021 at 4:10 PM, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

I think you'll really like the Tensei.  I'm glad I got to hit it at my fitting, I was planning on going recoil, because, well that's my go to graphite shaft, along with KBS TGI.   But when I saw the first few results with the Tensei Red AM2 I was really surprised and pleased.  Play on course has lived up to it as well.

What is your 7 iron and driver swing speed. I am in the 84-86 and 100-103 range. I've hit the am2 red in regular a couple of times and was surprised that they performed pretty well. Trying to gauge if I could really use that shaft versus the blue or white. 

• Like 1

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Titleist TSi2 9° AD IZ 6s
Titleist TS2 16.5°  EF White 65s
Ping G410 21° EF White 75s
Ping G410 22°/25°/30° Hybrid Tensei White
Mizuno HM 7-PW Recoil 95r
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

Ping Sigma 2 Valor

One other iron to hit - XL Halo. Since TXG was invoked, watch their video hitting it vs the T300. 

And for a yin/yang moment, XL Halo vs ZX7 (which may be worth hitting as well).  Oddly enough for me a well struck ZX7 shot goes further then Halo despite being 2 degrees weaker. But inconsistent swings get penalized much less with the Halo. So depends how consistently you hit your irons.

EF5A1B99-13EC-44A6-9006-AC6813FB4357.jpeg

5D271A8C-C75F-4331-AE4E-78D105038CC6.jpeg

D96A6A4C-E9FF-4B04-BB7A-F695324C965B.jpeg

G400Max Xtorsion 60S | Cobra F9 3W Devo 7S | F9 3H Devo 8S

XL Halo 5H | G425 6-7H Tensei OrangeS |  Halo XL 8-DW CypherS

Glide3 Eye2 55-60 Recoil Proto W | Nova or ER2B

3 hours ago, Wooderson said:

What is your 7 iron and driver swing speed. I am in the 84-86 and 100-103 range. I've hit the am2 red in regular a couple of times and was surprised that they performed pretty well. Trying to gauge if I could really use that shaft versus the blue or white. 

You’re quite a bit faster than me. I’m in the 71 to 73 range on 7 iron 85 to 86 on driver.  Even at that slow speed I have a quick transition . So I’ve been fit to regular flex vs Senior. 

:smilie_titty: TSi1   9.0 Aldila Ascent 40g 
:smilie_titty: TSi2 16.5 FW GD IZ5

:smilie_titty:TSi1 20 & 23 Hybrid Aldial Ascent 50g
:smilie_titty:2021 T300 5-P Tensei Red R Flex
Vokey SM 8 46/54/58 

PING Tyne 4 35" 

ProV1X No. 12

On 9/9/2021 at 11:34 PM, dlow206 said:

Im gaming the ZX5s but have a T300 iron set on order. Looking for a bit more forgiveness and a bit more distance. It won’t be a perfect comparison because i ordered softer shafts in the T300

I'm in the same situation.  '21 T300 users, how have you found the feel to be using a premium ball?  Is chipping a challenge given the size of the clubs/sole width?  Spin rates? I don't want a low spin club and wondering about spin rates with the T300 assuming stock AMT red shaft.  Feedback appreciated.  

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 Hybrid 19*, 21*
Titleist '21 T300 4-GW 

Titleist Vokey SM8 56* 60*
EVNROLL ER1.2 TourBlade

Titleist '21 ProV1X

Vessel Lite Lux

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is interested in my set of zx4’s 5-AW brand new with Nippon neo stiff shafts let me know.  I ordered two sets with different shafts and decided fate would allow me to choose which set to play by whichever one came first so dg 105’s it is. 

will give a great deal to someone interested in them.  Easiest clubs I’ve ever hit. 

• Like 1

Pulled the trigger on T300 4-GW AMT Red R.  Arrived today, loving what I'm seeing.  Had the ZX5's which I liked but wouldn't say loved.. I have a feeling I just play better with cast cavity backs over forged for whatever reason, my best iron play was with a set of TM SLDR's.  Used to play to a 10 but now a 13 mostly due to lack of play so was looking for as much forgiveness as I could stand to look at.  First round Friday, let's see what happens.  The T300's just look so playable to my eye, looking forward to it.  

Edited by jjl
  • Like 1

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Titleist '21 T300 4-GW 

EVNROLL ER1.2 TourBlade

Titleist '21 ProV1X

Vessel Lite Lux

On 9/12/2021 at 9:49 AM, jjl said:

I'm in the same situation.  '21 T300 users, how have you found the feel to be using a premium ball?  Is chipping a challenge given the size of the clubs/sole width?  Spin rates? I don't want a low spin club and wondering about spin rates with the T300 assuming stock AMT red shaft.  Feedback appreciated.  

Sorry. Just seeing this. 

The feel is just fine.  Obviously not forged.  But better feel then anything else in the same category that I have hit Radspeed, SIM2 or G425.  The sound is absolute better than any of those.  A nice solid but not loud contact.   As for spin. I haven’t been on a LM with them.  But playing a ProV1X I have no problem stopping any iron within a few feet of the pitch mark. 

Speaking of pitch. I use my 54 Vokey for modt shots around the green.  But I have used thd P (43) on a few bump and run shots and it was just fine.  No awkwardness at all. 

To sum it up. I was on the range today with a longtime playing buddy.  He commented several times, he’s never seen me hit the ball so well and so consistently.  From the 9 to the 5 iron.  I hit them all very solid snd on the same flight for each of them.   Getting plenty of height on the 5.   

He joked. That he Better not see another set of irons in my bag for a very very long time.  Yikes😜

Vokey SM 8 46/54/58 

PING Tyne 4 35" 

ProV1X No. 12

17 minutes ago, jjl said:

Pulled the trigger on T300 4-GW AMT Red R.  Arrived today, loving what I'm seeing.  Had the ZX5's which I liked but wouldn't say loved.. I have a feeling I just play better with cast cavity backs over forged for whatever reason, my best iron play was with a set of TM SLDR's.  Used to play to a 10 but now a 13 mostly due to lack of play so was looking for as much forgiveness as I could stand to look at.  First round Friday, let's see what happens.  The T300's just look so playable to my eye, looking forward to it.  

Congrats.  You’re going to love them.  I think your last statement is so correct.  They are just a very good looking iron while not being intimidated.  

• Like 1

Vokey SM 8 46/54/58 

PING Tyne 4 35" 

ProV1X No. 12

On 9/21/2021 at 6:03 PM, JoelKD said:

If anyone is interested in my set of zx4’s 5-AW brand new with Nippon neo stiff shafts let me know.  I ordered two sets with different shafts and decided fate would allow me to choose which set to play by whichever one came first so dg 105’s it is. 

will give a great deal to someone interested in them.  Easiest clubs I’ve ever hit. 

@JoelKD sent you a PM

• 3 weeks later...

To poster=Play G410 5-a with i95 Steelfiber reg. No issues and plenty of distance but I go thru irons because it's my curse,LOL. Anyway a Zx5 deal feel thru and I keep seeing these T300 posts. Historically the finish on this line of Titleist irons(use to be the AP1 models) dulled fairly quickly. Of course I don't usually keep irons long enough to find out but how is the finish holding up? Also it seems at least in this thread the T300s play longer and more forgiving than the Zx5s?  Any comments appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

After a brief reality check with new T100S which are fantastic but not for me I picked up a set of. T300 built to my specs. I too think they are the best looking and performing GI irons I have played. The feel is excellent for a cast club, distance is outstanding, dispersion is tight and they forgive my sins. I’m amazed at how they hold greens and even spin back for me. Ego aside, these are great irons

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 9:58 PM, jjl said:

Wow, your iron experience similar to mine. I regretted selling my SLDRs when I did.  Enjoyed my Zx5s but was not 100% sold. Picked up a set of graphite T200 and after a couple of okay rounds I benched them for a set of 2021 T300, 4 thru G, R-AMT Red. These feel great! Better than the T200 to me. What I like best is what the Ping Gs and T300s do better than anything is, to fly straight at the flag whether I'm a little toey or on the heel. T200s think I actually want to “work “ the ball :-).  They actually made the 300s better. Not longer. Better feel, flight and spin. Ridiculous  Consistency. Any one want a near new set of T200, R ,tensei  AM2 ?

Edited by Steelhead

So have a few rounds in with the T300, going back to the ZX5 or maybe the SLDR's for now.  I found the soles on the T300's to be too wide/game improvement, especially the long irons, and didn't love how chunky the long irons look at address.  Couldn't get any feel with chips around the green with the scoring clubs.  I also found the 4 and 5 irons make a slight whistle sound like the old Nike Slingshots when swung fast.  Not selling the T300's yet but they haven't secured a spot in my bag.  

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Titleist '21 T300 4-GW 

EVNROLL ER1.2 TourBlade

Titleist '21 ProV1X

Vessel Lite Lux

5 hours ago, JDIL said:

For some reason they look real chunky to me. And the soles looked huge. Compared to new P790, T200, etc.

I came from 919 HMP and address looked very similar. They don't play like a fat sole club, except for going right at my target lol

Ping g410 Lst 9* 
Ping G410 14.5* 
Ping G410 hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX5 4-AW 

Cleveland CBX2 54* 
Titleist SM7 58* Slate Blue
SC Select Newport II Midslant

On 9/12/2021 at 6:49 AM, jjl said:

I can help here.  I played my first round Saturday and again yesterday.  T300 KBS $Taper Stiff.  Alternating between a TP5 and Pro V1x.  Great stopping power on greens and in fact I did spin some approach shots back.  No run outs.  Frankly, I am blown away and do think the high descent angle on the 300s is playing a part in that.  

• Like 1

On 9/9/2021 at 5:49 PM, PJE said:

Unfortunately, you didn't like the feel of the Titleist 300. For a sweeper, I think they are great irons. Very easy to hit. 

I don't think the words, "Mizuno", accompanied by,  "forgiving", should ever be uttered. Seriously, you can get away with the Mizuno JPX series in sweeping the ball. 

The ZX5s are a great iron. I don't think they are an ideal iron for sweepers unless sweeping means you are always taking a small divot.  The V sole doesn't seem to work for some sweepers. 

The V Sole in general is very odd.  I know steep guys that love, steep guys that hate, I also know sweepers in both categories.  I think in the 45 series irons the V sole was the best, it went backwards in the 65 series.  It became as good as the 45 in the 85 and Z forged.  More players have converted to the ZX series of irons there than ever, more sweepers and more steep folks both.

My former club has the PGA Tour Srixon Tour Rep as a member, so we always got Srixon stuff before it was out in stores, and we have heard a lot about how much better received the ZX7 has been than the 85 and just a bit better received than the 45's were from tour players, all spoke of the feel being better and the sole being more to their liking.

If you did not care for the V sole in any of the previous generations I would not rule out the ZX lineup based on what I have seen, just because it has changed.

Sure for me the V sole has worked well as a sweeper in the longer irons and a slight digger in the mid to short, so the fact that I love them is no surprise.

• Like 1
  • Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS on Ventus Purple
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade SIM2 Titanium - testing shafts
  • 7 Wood - Company that shall not be named, turned down 1* and open on a UST Mamaiya Black
  • Hybrid - Cobra King Tec 17* 
  • Util - Srixon ZXU 18* on Recoil 110
  • Irons - Srixon ZX5 4&5 iron on Recoil 110
  • Irons - Srixon ZX7 (6-9) on Recoil 110
  • Wedges - Clevelland 46* Zipcore, Cleveland 50* mid Zipcore, Cleveland 54* mid Zipcore, Cleveland Zipcore 60* Mid all on Recoil 110
  • Putters -  Odyssey V Line Tank on a BGT Shaft - sometimes Sunset Beach Ocracoke or Mannkrafted MA/66 on UST Frequency Filtered with SS Counter Core
  • Ball - Srixon Z Star XV auditioning Snell and Vice Pro Plus this offseason.

11 hours ago, TiScape said:

Just watched a TXG review of the 2021 T300s. Said they were the best GI irons they’ve tested to date. Said the Srixon ZX4s were a close 2nd. I think ZX5 is in a slightly different category than the 300s and 4s. 

ZX5 is a players distance club while T300 and ZX4 are GI's.

• Like 2

I’m in a similar boat as most. Originally came into this playing Ping G15s. Figured I was outgrowing them and decided to step up to Srixon ZX5s. Really enjoy them but wasn’t 100% confident in my shots with them.

I’ve been looking for something to replace the ZX5s currently, and just went to hit the t300s and JPX 921 HMs. For me I found the JPX 921s to be heads and tails above the t300s. The t300s were clunky and played all over the place for me. The Mizunos played consistent and I was hitting better than I ever have before. Was consistently hitting 160yd carry (nice draw) with the 7-iron. Don’t think you can really go wrong with any of them, just have to hit em.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, estes640 said:

I’m in a similar boat as most. Originally came into this playing Ping G15s. Figured I was outgrowing them and decided to step up to Srixon ZX5s. Really enjoy them but wasn’t 100% confident in my shots with them.

I’ve been looking for something to replace the ZX5s currently, and just went to hit the t300s and JPX 921 HMs. For me I found the JPX 921s to be heads and tails above the t300s. The t300s were clunky and played all over the place for me. The Mizunos played consistent and I was hitting better than I ever have before. Was consistently hitting 160yd carry (nice draw) with the 7-iron. Don’t think you can really go wrong with any of them, just have to hit em.

Please dont forget the ZX4's.  I use to play the 545, 565 and the 585s.  But since playing less skipped the ZX5s and went to the ZX4s.  You wont be disappointed!

On 9/9/2021 at 6:05 AM, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

As I’ve said a few times.  The ZX5 are great in every way.  When I got them in January I fully expected them to be the mainstay in my bag.   Then COVID hit me snd I couldn’t play until May.  And I got the itch for one length so I ordered the RAD OL and immediately took to them.   They were in the bag until the T300. 

I think many will be surprised by this picture as I’ve always liked the V sole of Srixon.   This is the T300 (middle) sole compared to the other 2.   I post this just so people realize the T300 sole is not the usual chunky Fat Bottom Girl 😬. There may not be any fancy tech name like about sole but these irons get through the turf great. Just enough bounce to not dig, but not too much. 

1647A502-D3B0-4508-A584-32796CD6F28E.jpeg

That's surprising. It looks a lot less chunky when compared like this. Clearly the T300 looks the best - I just don't like the back of it - yet.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM Max

Wood: TaylorMade M6

Hybrid: Taylormade M3

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7

Putter: TaylorMade Ardmore 2 Black Copper

I went through an iron search last spring.  Was playing the Ping G700 for about a year after getting fitted at Club Champion.  Was not a good fit.  Way too game improvement for me.  Yes, I could play them on full shots.  But, for chipping they had zero feel.  

I didn't do a full fitting.  I had a short list of clubs to try including Callaway Apex and DCB.  Wasn't in love with either of them.  I asked what else should I try and the guy at the PGA Tour Superstore said Srixon ZX5.  I immediately fell in love with them.  The ZX7 and ZX5 have virtually identical top lines and look at address.  The ZX5 is more of a players distance than players due to technology features.  I went with 6-AW and married them with Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54 and 58 degree wedges.  The AW is 50 degrees.  So, the gapping works well.  I really like the forged feel of the ZX5.  If you are looking for a players distance, they should definitely be in the mix.  If you want more of a game improvement, go with the ZX4.  Brooks Koepka plays the ZX7.   Of course, you could work out a combo set, if that suits you.  I didn't find a need to do that and went all ZX5.

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 w/ Project X Evenflow Green 55 R shaft Fairway woods: Callaway Epic Flash 5 and 7 wood Hybrids: Callaway Big Bertha 4i and 5i Irons: Srixon ZX5 6-AW, Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54 and 58 degree Putter: mySpider X

5 hours ago, Vater said:

That's surprising. It looks a lot less chunky when compared like this. Clearly the T300 looks the best - I just don't like the back of it - yet.

I get it. The ZX5 certainly has the better look in the back.  But the T300 this go round is 1000 times better than the sun dial of 2019.  

here they are in my bag. 

25636C0E-EFDF-402E-B078-CFBBFBB3A8D4.jpeg

• Like 1

Vokey SM 8 46/54/58 

PING Tyne 4 35" 

ProV1X No. 12

On 9/9/2021 at 11:34 PM, dlow206 said:

Im gaming the ZX5s but have a T300 iron set on order. Looking for a bit more forgiveness and a bit more distance. It won’t be a perfect comparison because i ordered softer shafts in the T300

i'am in the same boat i have zx5's an play 6.0 project x in them looking for something softer can i ask what you went with in  the t300 

3 minutes ago, bogey777 said:

i'am in the same boat i have zx5's an play 6.0 project x in them looking for something softer can i ask what you went with in  the t300 

I went with Nippon 950gh, but i already pulled them out after two rounds lol. i still love the shafts, but my body hates me right now, so anything i can do to not aggravate some pre-existing medical issues, the better. So i am switching out to graphite soon. 

With the 950gh, the T300 launch high, in a good way for me.