Golfers elbow is THE worst pain I've had.

cj4501

9 hours ago, cj4501 said:

I've broken bones,  had surgery, dislocated a knee and none of those hurt as bad as my golfers elbow. Please tell me it will end sometime lol

I'm guessing you've never ruptured a disc in your back and then had a muscle spasm that dropped you to your knees.  I've had golfer's elbow.  It didn't come close to comparing.

That said, after I switched to graphite shafts in my irons, the golfer's elbow went away very quickly.  My back still hurts every day, though.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Max LS MMT 70X

Titleist TSi2 13.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSi2 18* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist 816H2 23* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G425 5-UW Steelfiber i95S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i95S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Newport M2

REST IS BEST. stop playing immediately.

Never ever hit from a hard surface again.

invest in graphite shafts.

get thicker grips.

if you are an office worker change your mouse to an upright ergo mouse

MORE REST.

deep tissue massage on the effected arm

strengthen your fingers and forearms, use a theraband or towel

follow my playlist 

• Like 1

Physician friend of mine just had surgery for this after failure of conservative therapy, including PRP.

The overall success rate from surgery is not wonderful so I would say be diligent with the conservative Rx, especially rest -- and there is debate amongst surgeons about best technique, ie debridement and reimplantation vs just cutting the tendon and calling it a day (and living with the potential resulting impairment of function).

As far as worst possible pain, kidney stones are supposedly only second to childbirth.  I thought that was a bullet that I had dodged but now that it is being reported that men can get pregnant I guess I have more to worry about.

Is the pain on the outside of your elbow, or inside?

• Like 1

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist TS2 15* 3-wood - Tensei Blue - 65 - S; Titleist 918 5-wood 19*. Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist 818 H1 21* Atmos Tour Spec Blue - S
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s-400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

My pain was so bad I couldn't pick up a cup of coffee without severe pain.

The exercise above fixed me completely. I do it virtually every day, just the simple pulling back of all the fingers fixed it to me.

• Like 1

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist TS2 15* 3-wood - Tensei Blue - 65 - S; Titleist 918 5-wood 19*. Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist 818 H1 21* Atmos Tour Spec Blue - S
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s-400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

First off if you play a lot of golf then graphite shafts are a must. Secondly what worked for me ( and mine was very painful as well ) was CBD cream. Put it on every morning and night and after a week or so pain was pretty much gone. Even during my workouts, could hardly do any bicep work for a while. I no longer have to wear the band around my elbow and now only use the cream a few times a week.

• Like 1

DRIVER -    Taylor Made Sim 2 - 9* | 🔥🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥🔥
3 WD -        Taylor Made Sim Max 14* | Ventus Red Regular 
HYBRIDS-   PXG Gen 2 -  2/3/4 | Accra Tour 100i Stiff
IRONS -       PXG Gen 4 -  0311XP 5 - GW | Mitsubishi MMT 80 Stiff
WEDGES -  Ping Stealth Glide 2.0 54-12 / 58-06 Wedges | Wedge Flex
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX XL ULTRALIGHT grips on ALL 
PUTTER -   PXG ☠️One and Done☠️w/JUMBOMAX 17" FLAT
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag
BALLS -       Bridgestone BXS / Pro V1

Both my Tennis and Golfer's Elbow injuries had nothing to do with golf.  Both came from woodworking (manual screwdriver and nailing up siding) and golf was just impaired by the injuries.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

A couple of years ago I had golfers elbow on my lead arm (outside) pretty bad for about 6 months.  I finally made it go away by deep tissue massaging my lead forearm.  I'm not talking about gently rubbing it, but pure digging your fingers into your muscles.  Hurt like a sob, but I would get some relief right away.  Took about 2 months to get rid of completely.  Now I do this for prevented measures and I have a green theraband I use for exercise. 

Not only do I recommend some sort of therapy for your arms, but also look into massages for your back shoulders and neck as well.  I've been getting deep tissue massages now for about 6 months.  It took about 4 months to work out a kink I had from a shoulder muscle injury over a year ago.  At 45 my body just doesn't work like it did when I was 20, lol.  I can't imagine what the older guys feel like.  

• Like 1

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 4i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

Posted this in other threads, but check with an instructor, or if you have a monitor to verify the numbers, because hitting substantially down that can exacerbate the problem. I had to change my swing around to be much more level to save the elbows, made a big difference. 

Also, avoid fitting off mats, more often than not they don't have the proper padding under them. 

On 9/7/2021 at 2:50 PM, LegendJeff said:

I went to graphite shafts in my irons and wedges and also started using a thera-bar to strengthen the elbows. I am cured now. Give it a shot

https://www.golfgalaxy.com/p/theraband-intermediate-flexbar-16cmruflxbrntrmdtspm/16cmruflxbrntrmdtspm

Same. 

Callaway Big Bertha 21 9* w/ HZRDUS Yellow 6.0

Callaway Mavrik Max 3+

Callaway Rogue 4 wood

Srixon ZU85 4/23

Srixon Z565 w/ Matrix Ozik F15 shafts 5-PW

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX4 54* and 58*

Cleveland Huntington Beach #11S

11 minutes ago, StrokerAce said:

starting to get it on the inside of my right elbow. I hit off mats when practicing because that's what is available. 

What does switching to graphite help with? Does the shaft flex more on impact or something?

No, not more flex, just far less vibration traveling up the shaft and into your hands and arms. 

• Like 2

Callaway Mavrik Max 3+

Callaway Rogue 4 wood

Srixon ZU85 4/23

Srixon Z785 AW

I took a break for a few years and came back hard. I noticed my local course went to mats where they used to alternate with grass. I was hitting the range 3-4 times a week on mats. I started getting golfers elbow on my right arm. It would come and go, but was somewhat controllable. 

I ended up getting fit for some graphite shafts and while I think they are too light for my swing, the pain has completely gone away.

I grew up playing tennis and took a long break. I started picking it up again a few weeks back and I did something funny. Now I have golfers elbow on my left arm. I started icing it and doing the exercises on the Theraband Flexbar and it’s pretty much gone now. This probably would have helped me with the pain I had in my right arm earlier, but I’m glad I made the switch the graphite. I would suggest others do the same. Just make sure you get the right weight or you may be facing some big adjustment issues. It took a while for me to figure it out.

I experienced it. It took about 4 months of not playing golf for the pain to subside. After that, I switched to graphite shafts. Night and day. Not more trying to play x stiff steel shafts that are around 130 grams. Now I play Steelfiber 95's in stiff. 

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5*  TP7HD 

Cobra F9 Hybrid 21 KBS 105X
Cobra Rev33/Tour CB 125 MMT

Taylormade 50 MG/ 60 HiToe

Odyssey OG1 Stroke lab
Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

On 9/9/2021 at 11:21 AM, StrokerAce said:

starting to get it on the inside of my right elbow. I hit off mats when practicing because that's what is available. 

If you absolutely must hit from mats, check into products like the one linked below. 

These get the ball up just slightly off the mat and offer no resistance to the club head, which better simulates hitting from real grass. They're promoted as being good for your swing since they promote better contact and reduce "mat flinch" for lack of a better term. 

I'm using some with my indoor hitting setup and find them to work as advertised. The ones I ordered turned out to be dark green which are somewhat hard to locate after I've hit the ball. I found some old spray paint and painted one side bright pink and the other shiny chrome which makes them a lot easier to spot in the net or on my mat. 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08YS352Q2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

C2EC9FDD-4A6A-4C38-AA2D-BE0BCF46201D.jpeg.837e0cbf31746686fc905b6489f9387d.jpeg

Edited by me05501
  • Like 1

Callaway Mavrik Max 3+

Callaway Rogue 4 wood

Srixon ZU85 4/23

Srixon Z785 AW

3 minutes ago, ChipStrokes said:

Because The Product IS NOT KINESIOLOGY TAPE!! Have A LOOK!! FDA Approved!!

Edited by Seeking70s
add bolding

I highly recommend getting a Band-IT elbow brace (LINK)

I got bad golfer's elbow (inside of elbow) from hitting too much off of range mats ~10 years ago, probably had poor form, but that's a different story. I did some physical therapy and it helped somewhat. I did cortizone injection and it helped somewhat. I am now resigned to just permanently having some annoyance with golfer's elbow, very minor pain, and I just ALWAYS wear the brace when I am playing or practicing golf. I also wear the brace if I am doing any kind of manual labor, weight lifting, etc.

I would also strongy recommend limiting the amount of full short iron/wedge shots you hit off of range mats, especially if they are sitting on concrete. If I ever have a range session, or warm up before a round, that is on a mat sitting on concrete I hit very very few full short iron/wedge shots.

On 9/13/2021 at 5:39 AM, me05501 said:

If you absolutely must hit from mats, check into products like the one linked below. 

These get the ball up just slightly off the mat and offer no resistance to the club head, which better simulates hitting from real grass. They're promoted as being good for your swing since they promote better contact and reduce "mat flinch" for lack of a better term. 

I'm using some with my indoor hitting setup and find them to work as advertised. The ones I ordered turned out to be dark green which are somewhat hard to locate after I've hit the ball. I found some old spray paint and painted one side bright pink and the other shiny chrome which makes them a lot easier to spot in the net or on my mat. 

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08YS352Q2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

C2EC9FDD-4A6A-4C38-AA2D-BE0BCF46201D.jpeg.837e0cbf31746686fc905b6489f9387d.jpeg

How are these doo-dats any different from a low rubber tee???? At least with a rubber tee, you don't need to go looking for it.... 😜

Edited by SwingBlues

Taylormade Sim Max, Fujikura Ventus Velocore Black 6-S, Top Golf All-Fit Universal adapter

Callaway Epic Max LS, Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60 stiff, Top Golf All-Fit Universal adapter
Fairways: Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft, Taylormade M4 HL 16.5* 4 wood, Vizard Z 60S shaft
Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid

Irons:      Taylormade P790 DGold 105 S300 4-PW

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW KBS TGI 95/100 shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & TGI 100 shaft. Cleveland FullFace 56* with Catalyst 100 shaft.
Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with BGT Stability shaft
#1 Callaway Chromesoft X LS, #2 Srixon XV 5/6

Moe Norman/Todd Graves Single Plane swing

From my understanding, "Golfer's elbow" is pain on inside of elbow, whereas "Tennis Elbow" is referring to pain on outside.

Is that correct?

I have been dealing with pain on outside elbow, (I thought was tennis elbow) and professional opinion has told me nothing that I couldnt find on my own with an internet search. R.I.C.E. 

I'm finding information in this thread very intriguing, and wondering if the remedies apply to pain in both inside and out?

21 minutes ago, Tpfol said:

From my understanding, "Golfer's elbow" is pain on inside of elbow, whereas "Tennis Elbow" is referring to pain on outside.

Is that correct?

I have been dealing with pain on outside elbow, (I thought was tennis elbow) and professional opinion has told me nothing that I couldnt find on my own with an internet search. R.I.C.E. 

I'm finding information in this thread very intriguing, and wondering if the remedies apply to pain in both inside and out?

You have the inside and outside characterization correct.

Surgery for tennis elbow is more straightforward and has a higher success rate than that for golfer's elbow.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/9/2021 at 3:46 PM, Nard_S said:

I did a number of stretches, icing & massaging for a year. A year of big time pain. Big key though is change swing. It's not the steel shafts or mats, it's the swing. Arms not working together will aggravate tendons. 

I think this is the case for me - releasing too early / cast is hurting my lead elbow. It hurts the most with a driver which is definitely graphite.

I had this problem go away on its own three years ago. No pain, strangely.

Elbow Injury Bruising.jpg

Cobra F9 9.5*, VA Composites Raijin 44 F2
Cobra F9 14.5*, UST Helium 49 F2
Titleist 585H 19*, Aldila NVS 85 R
TXG Custom SIM Max 7-wood 21*, Accra 140 2.0 M2
TXG Custom Mizuno CLK 23*, Tensei Red CK 60 R
TXG Custom, Mizuno JPX 919 Hotmetal 6-pw, 1* up, + 1/2", UST Recoil ESX 460 R, Soft Stepped Once
Mizuno T20, 50/07, 56/10, 60/07, Nippon 950H Neo
PXG Brandon, 34.5"

26 minutes ago, eht8266 said:

I think this is the case for me - releasing too early / cast is hurting my lead elbow. It hurts the most with a driver which is definitely graphite.

Yeah I had to get a sense of having the hands working together more and elbows getting closer. I've come across other aches but not of the elbows and I did lots of mat hitting in last 5 years.

1 hour ago, Nard_S said:

Yeah I had to get a sense of having the hands working together more and elbows getting closer. I've come across other aches but not of the elbows and I did lots of mat hitting in last 5 years.

Hitting off of mats will def contribute to my pain - basically mats do me more harm than good.

I've been doing some exercises (3lb weights) and also some stretching and massaging. Last weekend's round popped a preventative anti-inflamatory and was basically pain free. Let's hope that works for the rest of the month.