Golfers elbow is THE worst pain I've had.

cj4501

Been dealing with something on the inside of my elbow.  It might be golfer's elbow, but the physio thinks I might have torn a muscle since it didn't respond to treatment.  Might need an MRI to figure it out.  Good thing winter is just around the corner and I'll be forced to shut it down one way or another.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

If you have insurance then going to a PT can really speed up recovery. After suffering for 6 months, physical therapy had me feeling great after 3 visits. They did ultrasound and active release and painful massage lol. 

Now I'm very good about stretching and strengthening. I also use my Theragun on my forearm flexors and extensors and also do my biceps and triceps a couple times a week. Just trying to keep everything happy.

11 hours ago, eht8266 said:

Hitting off of mats will def contribute to my pain -

Yeah my greater point is that altering swing is the real answer.  I simply cannot go a to range that allows grass hitting. The closest is 30 minutes of clear highway. I was averaging 200 balls a week for years, on mats. My elbow injury never recurred.

1 minute ago, Nard_S said:

Yeah my greater point is that altering swing is the real answer.  I simply cannot go a to range that allows grass hitting. The closest is 30 minutes of clear highway. I was averaging 200 balls a week for years, on mats. My elbow injury never recurred.

??  Are you missing a few key words that would change the message?

MCC Align Midsize

1 hour ago, Nard_S said:

Clue me in. Message is clear, mats may not be ideal but bulk of elbow injuries come from poor mechanics.

I simply cannot go a to range that allows grass hitting.

I've never seen anyone state that they don't want to go to range that allows them to hit off grass.

MCC Align Midsize

4 minutes ago, Socrates said:

I simply cannot go a to range that allows grass hitting.

I've never seen anyone state that they don't want to go to range that allows them to hit off grass.

Hah, okay, excuse the grammar . It's not a simple thing for me to hit off grass. Closest grass range is 20 miles, have to pay $35 too, all you can hit though. in traffic takes 40 minutes, so really not worth it. Do 15 minutes and $15 on mats instead.

1 minute ago, Nard_S said:

Hah, okay, excuse the grammar . It's not a simple thing for me to hit off grass. Closest grass range is 20 miles, have to pay $35 too, all you can hit though. in traffic takes 40 minutes, so really not worth it. Do 15 minutes and $15 on mats instead.

I'm more of a picker of the ball and I usually don't care if I hit of grass or mats (as long as they are decent), but right now I working on the takeaway and setup in my swing and I've hit more than a few fat stinkers.  The mats are punishing my elbow right now. It will become a moot point soon as winter is only a couple of weeks away.

MCC Align Midsize

7 minutes ago, Socrates said:

I'm more of a picker of the ball and I usually don't care if I hit of grass or mats (as long as they are decent), but right now I working on the takeaway and setup in my swing and I've hit more than a few fat stinkers.  The mats are punishing my elbow right now. It will become a moot point soon as winter is only a couple of weeks away.

It's against city ordinance but there's a huge soccer field in my town and i can go whack short irons (#7i tops, keep it at #9i or less) without any danger of hitting anything So on an off time, I'll do that, go dig in that turf, with a ball collector in tow. I have to be careful though, there's a lot of Karen's where I live, lol.

• Haha 2

On 9/16/2021 at 7:49 AM, tm3 said:

You have the inside and outside characterization correct.

Surgery for tennis elbow is more straightforward and has a higher success rate than that for golfer's elbow.

I'd be a little wary of getting cut. Going to try the rehab and stretching method for preventative maintenance first. Ordered a theraband flexbar from AMZN that may arrive this weekend. Just in time for 2 weekends of the club championship... 😐

If you have steel shafts you can put foam inserts in the shaft to limit the vibration.  Sensicor is one option.

I battled golfer's elbow for a couple of seasons. Then I had shoulder discomfort. When i went to PT for that issue they found that one of the large muscles on the back of my shoulder had gone dormant. Some stretches and light weights got that muscle going again. It fixed my shoulder pain and golfer's elbow.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, eht8266 said:

I'd be a little wary of getting cut. Going to try the rehab and stretching method for preventative maintenance first. Ordered a theraband flexbar from AMZN that may arrive this weekend. Just in time for 2 weekends of the club championship... 😐

I would be more than a little wary of getting cut, for golfer's elbow or for any other elective procedure.  Surgery is often not the magic bullet that many expect, and even when the complication rate is only 1 in 100, well if you are the 1 ......

On 10/14/2021 at 4:41 PM, modore said:

If you have steel shafts you can put foam inserts in the shaft to limit the vibration.  Sensicor is one option.

I battled golfer's elbow for a couple of seasons. Then I had shoulder discomfort. When i went to PT for that issue they found that one of the large muscles on the back of my shoulder had gone dormant. Some stretches and light weights got that muscle going again. It fixed my shoulder pain and golfer's elbow.  

What exercises and stretches worked in your case?

Thanks.

On 9/7/2021 at 3:21 PM, stingerfade said:

Get the therabar. Has cured tennis/golf elbow for me and a friend in a matter of a couple months. 

It works, also graphite shafts help a bunch, once you are healed.   Yes many doctors are "quacks" in that they haven't really done any research, they just follow a list of procedures that someone gave them as an intern.  My Dr. sent me to a PT, nothing they recommended helped.  

1.  rest, don't hit balls

2.  Theraband

3.  ice after any use or daily while in pain.  

4.  Deep massage, the kind that really hurts.  

5.  Avoid hitting balls off of turf, try to find a natural grass range, yes it's becoming almost impossible unless you join a private club.  

The big one is rest, if you don't take time off it wont get much better no matter what you do.  

Edited by dlygrisse

Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54,58 Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

On 10/18/2021 at 11:29 AM, eht8266 said:

What exercises and stretches worked in your case?

Thanks.

It's been a few years so my memory has faded. I remember laying on my back with a light dumbell ( maybe 5lbs) I held my arm straight above me and punched or extended it straight by only flexing the muscle in the back of the shoulder ( rhomboid or lat)

While standing, I did stretches of the same muscle in multiple directions with an exercise band

I've flown around the country trying to see the best elbow surgeons to fix me and have not had much luck.  My issue is golfer's elbow for sure and degenerative elbow arthitis.  I had my elbow scoped and they removed about 12 bone chips - that helped with my range of motion but the medial epicondyle still was very painful.  I could share the list of things I have tried but it spans way too long to type (medical and home remmedy).  I had 2 cortisone shots at the location of the pain and they did nothing.  Then my 5th ortho doc wanted to try cortisone on the tennis elbow side which he said was more directly into the elbow joiint itself.  No idea how or why, but that gave me good relief for 6 months.  It has come back here and there but no where near like it was.  He said we will keep shooting me up as long as it works and I'll go back for more if it gets unbearable again.  My elbow is still trash structurally and playing golf is going to destroy it but i guess you only live once.  Still trying to find another hobby i like just as much but so luck yet haha

Ping G410 LST, 9.5 degrees, Tensei CK Pro Orange 70 TX
Taylormade p790 UDI 2 iron, KBS $-Taper
Mizuno MP 18 MB 4-PW, x100s
Mizuno T7 - 50, 56, 60
Artistan 0119 S

12 hours ago, Jlopicco23 said:

I've flown around the country trying to see the best elbow surgeons to fix me and have not had much luck.  My issue is golfer's elbow for sure and degenerative elbow arthitis.  I had my elbow scoped and they removed about 12 bone chips - that helped with my range of motion but the medial epicondyle still was very painful.  I could share the list of things I have tried but it spans way too long to type (medical and home remmedy).  I had 2 cortisone shots at the location of the pain and they did nothing.  Then my 5th ortho doc wanted to try cortisone on the tennis elbow side which he said was more directly into the elbow joiint itself.  No idea how or why, but that gave me good relief for 6 months.  It has come back here and there but no where near like it was.  He said we will keep shooting me up as long as it works and I'll go back for more if it gets unbearable again.  My elbow is still trash structurally and playing golf is going to destroy it but i guess you only live once.  Still trying to find another hobby i like just as much but so luck yet haha

I found the cortisone somewhat helpful, as well. It reduces inflammation enough to make the pain more tolerable for a little while. The drawback, however, is that cortisone damages tissue over time so not great as a long-term remedy. Many people also see an even worse re-flare of the issue some months after. I eventually had denervation surgery, which solved the problem, but it was denervation of the lateral epicondyle and I don't know whether a similar procedure exists for the medial side. Have the surgeons ruled out a neuroma?