2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

TP5 Ball Damage?

AcesAndHoles

Has anyone noticed their TP5s getting damaged easily? I've gone through about 1-2 boxes of TP5s the past month (2019 and 2021) or so and have had to toss a shocking number due to cover damage. I'm not including cart-path bonanza or an equator-wedge-blade over the green. I keep finding legitimate cuts in the cover, or pinheads of urethane coming up off the ball.

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons : Callaway Apex Pro '21 5-AW-- S400 (S)

Woods: Callaway Epic Speed 3W

Putter: TM HydroBlast Del Monte 1

This was from this weekend alone. The third photo top ball caught a dirt patch even though it looks like cart scuff and still took that abuse. Tough to see from the angle but the ball actually has a dent/depression in it. 

3D792774-1A94-4B7C-A1BE-99EB1F3C3AF0.jpeg

8A7163A5-9DB8-411B-BBAB-A79B70CE2D76.jpeg

A36D8F2F-8764-4F28-9A2F-94771CAF07E8.jpeg

Edited by AcesAndHoles

I haven't noticed any issues with the X... played 72 holes with the same ball... not sure if the cover is different

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Ventus Black 8-X

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

all I can say is Ouch, those balls look destined to the shag bag or the bin, I played 9 holes this morning with the last gen (2019) pix ball and apart from a few grass stains and a lot of tree bashing (through the branches and a touch yellow stain) its still good for a another 9 to 18 I would think if I don't lose it lol. 

Perhaps you just got a bad batch even with the amount of checks the balls go through these days things like this happens. Have you tried posting these pics to TM via twitter? they may send you a new box or something. 

Just now, DavidH88 said:

all I can say is Ouch, those balls look destined to the shag bag or the bin, I played 9 holes this morning with the last gen (2019) pix ball and apart from a few grass stains and a lot of tree bashing (through the branches and a touch yellow stain) its still good for a another 9 to 18 I would think if I don't lose it lol. 

Perhaps you just got a bad batch even with the amount of checks the balls go through these days things like this happens. Have you tried posting these pics to TM via twitter? they may send you a new box or something. 

The bottom third ball was after 2 shots out of the sleeve, a drive and a wedge. Wild stuff.

I'm going to reach out to them at some point. Wanted to see if it was a common theme first.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AcesAndHoles said:

The bottom third ball was after 2 shots out of the sleeve, a drive and a wedge. Wild stuff.

I'm going to reach out to them at some point. Wanted to see if it was a common theme first.

That is wild. I'm lost for words not even a low end ball would look like that after 2 shots perhaps after a few bunker shots perhaps but that ain't right especially with the how much they cost to buy.

best of luck have you tried looking at the other TP5 thread that's on here?  as some people have had the same issue. 

The "pin head" mark you see is from getting a grain of sand stuck between the clubface and the ball and it gets jammed into the cover.  I see it a lot with my Srixon Z Stars when I catch a ball a little fat or hit a fairway bunker shot where the ball is covered in a light coating of sand.  Often times I find the grain of sand still embedded in the ball and I can push it out then smooth out the cover a bit with a tee. 

The "dirt patch" ball probably hit something that is much more abrasive than you realized, which is why it took more damage than you would expect.

All that being said, the ball that looks like it has a tear in the cover is weird.  I haven't seen anything like that since I stopped playing balatas...

Titleist TSR4, 7.25*, Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70 S
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP H5 (4&5), MP 5 (6-PW), DG X100 SSx1
Cleveland RTX6 54/12 (bent to 53*) Raw & 58/10 Black, DG Spinner
Piretti Potenza 1.5
Ball - Titleist AVX Yellow

1 minute ago, grochol17 said:

The "pin head" mark you see is from getting a grain of sand stuck between the clubface and the ball and it gets jammed into the cover.  I see it a lot with my Srixon Z Stars when I catch a ball a little fat or hit a fairway bunker shot where the ball is covered in a light coating of sand.  Often times I find the grain of sand still embedded in the ball and I can push it out then smooth out the cover a bit with a tee. 

The "dirt patch" ball probably hit something that is much more abrasive than you realized, which is why it took more damage than you would expect.

All that being said, the ball that looks like it has a tear in the cover is weird.  I haven't seen anything like that since I stopped playing balatas...

Yep, I've seen the pin-head before, or picked out a grain of sand that gets embedded but the two times I've seen it on the TP5 it's been a lot deeper, if you pick at it or pull on it you can actually see the inner core.

I also figured as much. The dirt probably had a root or something underneath when it landed, but it doesn't explain how/why it got the crazy dent/depression. I usually don't scrap balls for just a little cart-path scuff but this one was really shot. Just really disappointing overall. I like the slightly softer feel of the TP5 but not if it's at the cost of having to carry a box of balls every time I play-- especially not since I probably have 3 dozen left 😟

3 hours ago, AcesAndHoles said:

Has anyone noticed their TP5s getting damaged easily? I've gone through about 1-2 boxes of TP5s the past month (2019 and 2021) or so and have had to toss a shocking number due to cover damage. I'm not including cart-path bonanza or an equator-wedge-blade over the green. I keep finding legitimate cuts in the cover, or pinheads of urethane coming up off the ball.

I have had that cut in the cover happen twice on 2019 TP5x (Once when we played Bethpage) 

but not on the 2019 TP5 or Tour Response.  I have heard on the other TM TP5 thread that there have been durability issues with the 2021's 

• 2 weeks later...

I've found the X to be quite durable, on par with Pro V1/V1X durability.  The TP5x is solidly in my rotation.

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 Hybrid 19*, Ventus Blue HB 9X  /or/  Titleist TSR2 7W 21*, Tensei Black 75X

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

On 9/16/2021 at 9:52 PM, Pearlwhites said:

I’ve been complaining about the TP5 durability for 2 years.  1 or 2 spinny shots and the cover is ripped off.  The 2021 ball seems to be an improvement, but still does t hold up as well as the left dash I also use.

I played a full 18 with a new Prov1 this weekend that included a full-blown equator blade out of a bunker and some rough terrain and it's still absolutely playable. I've gone through a sleeve of TP5 in less than 9 holes with similar damage to what I posted. May be I just have a bad batch? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AcesAndHoles said:

I played a full 18 with a new Prov1 this weekend that included a full-blown equator blade out of a bunker and some rough terrain and it's still absolutely playable. I've gone through a sleeve of TP5 in less than 9 holes with similar damage to what I posted. May be I just have a bad batch? 

Not unless I also had the same bad batch.

I just picked up 6 dozen as a result of trying the TP5 from a PGA pro friend. I really like them off the irons. I’ve not noticed any durability issues whatsoever.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 10.5* Diamana GT 60 S
Callaway AI Smoke Max 5W Tensei Blue 65 S

Ping G430 4H RDX Red 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-GW Modus 105S (bent 2* weak)
Cleveland RTX6 54 & 58*
TM Spider X DB 34”

I haven't played many TP5s but some of these main brand balls seem to have similar issues. When I played Chrome Softs I couldn't get through 7 holes without having a major cut or flight impacting cover issue with them

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

Hm, it seems that there's a split. Idk if it changes anything but my swing speed is pretty up there. Driver at about 113mph, 7i around 93mph. Love the ball for the most part, just frustrated with the damage. No knock on performance whatsoever otherwise. 

Nowhere near your swing speed, but I'm another data point on the “you must have a bad batch” side of things.

Bought 6 dz TP5 Pix “practice”, haven’t had any durability issues unless I hit a cart path. Played 3 rounds with one before retiring it, had some scuffs, but not too bad. 

Ping G400 Max 9.0 - Alta CB 55 R 

Ping G400 5 wood - Alta CB 65 R

PIng G425 Max 7 wood - Alta CB 65 R

Mizuno CLK hybrid - Tensei CK Blue 70 R

Mizuno JPX 923 FliHi 23 & 26 - Recoil ESX F3

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 7-GW - Nippon NS Pro850gh Neo

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54/12 - Rotex 70 wedge flex

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58/06- Rotex 70 wedge flex

Odyessey Eleven Tour Lined

19 hours ago, WasatchBogey said:

Nowhere near your swing speed, but I'm another data point on the “you must have a bad batch” side of things.

Bought 6 dz TP5 Pix “practice”, haven’t had any durability issues unless I hit a cart path. Played 3 rounds with one before retiring it, had some scuffs, but not too bad. 

Always appreciated.

Sigh, that's the dream. Although if one box of balls lasted me 30+ rounds I'd probably use the fact to justify buying new (unnecessary) clubs. 

I've been playing TP5X practice balls for the last two seasons, never had a durability issue till the last batch I ordered. These ended up with scuffs and cut marks after a few holes. I contacted Taylormade, this is what they told me.  

We did use a thinner layer of Urethane in the golf balls and the Practice and regular ball is the same. Because of this you may see more than normal scuff marks when hitting out of the sand or hitting the cart path. But at a time where technology is growing we have found a balance. Also, new clubs or new wedges can have an impact on these balls as well and because of the thinner face can result in scuff marks.

Ping G400 Max 10.5, Ventus Blue 6S

TM Stealth 3 wood, Tour AD DI 7X

Callaway UW 21, Project X HZRDUS RDX Black

Mizuno CLK 25 Hybrid, Ventus Blue HB 10-X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 4-PW, AMT White X100

Ping Glide 3 56 Eye2

Cleveland RTX-4 60.03

Seemore PCB

22 hours ago, mattt987 said:

I've been playing TP5X practice balls for the last two seasons, never had a durability issue till the last batch I ordered. These ended up with scuffs and cut marks after a few holes. I contacted Taylormade, this is what they told me.  

We did use a thinner layer of Urethane in the golf balls and the Practice and regular ball is the same. Because of this you may see more than normal scuff marks when hitting out of the sand or hitting the cart path. But at a time where technology is growing we have found a balance. Also, new clubs or new wedges can have an impact on these balls as well and because of the thinner face can result in scuff marks.

Good to know! Also cool to see TM acknowledge that the Practice and regular balls are the same. 

• 1 year later...

I have a box (2021 model) just purchased from DSG today and nearly all have pin marks on them like if it had a grain of sand stuck in the cover. They’re brand  new in the box, I checked other boxes at store by opening a sleeve and it seemed that all had the same thing going on…I thought to myself maybe I’m making too big a deal out of it.  But after getting home and taking a closer look at every sleeve, each ball has marks some more pronounced that others.   I game the 5X and have not noticed this before, even with other brands there may be some tiny imperfections, but these appeared much more pronounced not and  easy to ignore…safe to say I’ll be getting my money back tomorrow…

13 hours ago, JuanDaily said:

I have a box (2021 model) just purchased from DSG today and nearly all have pin marks on them like if it had a grain of sand stuck in the cover. They’re brand  new in the box, I checked other boxes at store by opening a sleeve and it seemed that all had the same thing going on…I thought to myself maybe I’m making too big a deal out of it.  But after getting home and taking a closer look at every sleeve, each ball has marks some more pronounced that others.   I game the 5X and have not noticed this before, even with other brands there may be some tiny imperfections, but these appeared much more pronounced not and  easy to ignore…safe to say I’ll be getting my money back tomorrow…

That sounds like a bad batch. Personally I wouldn’t see a difference in my game but if you’re paying premium you should get perfect, no?

To continue this thread, I’ve been playing the newest TP5x and haven’t had an issue with damage anymore. I’ll have to bring out a few of the older TP5 from the other boxes to see if it compares