The 2020/2021 U.S. Ryder Cup team is...

Frankensteins Monster

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/us-ryder-cup-captains-picks-include-jordan-spieth-not-patrick-reed

Reed is a combined 2-5 in his last two team appearances, at the 2019 Presidents Cup and 2018 Ryder Cup, and was also embroiled in controversy at both events. After the Americans’ loss in Paris, Reed called out captain Jim Furyk, as well as teammates Tiger Woods and Jordan Spieth, in a New York Times interview. A year later in Australia, his rules violation at the Hero World Challenge the week prior followed him to Royal Melbourne, where his caddie, Kessler Karain, was suspended from the singles session after an altercation with a fan the previous day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Body_Visions said:

No Reed, nor Kisner, but Finau.  Guess I’ll be pulling for Europe again.

I think Berger is a solid pick, surprised to see so many disagree.

Finau was America's 3rd best player at the last Ryder Cup? Won 2 out of 3 matches. He also won recently and is exactly the kind of consistent player you want in a Ryder Cup.

When was the last time a player was chosen by the US team had 0 PGA Tour wins?

I don't think Scheffler is a poor choice. He is very consistent and finished runner up in the WGC Match Play.

I would have preferred Na over Berger.

I can see why Kisner wasn't picked because he didn't show enough at the FedEx Playoff events with a MC and T66.

That was everyone I wanted except Na instead of Berger.  Na made 1 bogey last week.  I think he would've thrived in this event, you can tell the guy has tons of passion and really cares.  Plus he would annoy the hell out of his opponents.  I'm kind of pissed about this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping G425 Max 9*

Ping G425 Max 14.5*

Ping G425 17* & 19*

Titleist T100 4-6

Titleist 620MB 7-PW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* & 58*

Odyssey White Hot OG 7s

Sun Mountain Mid Stripe

11 hours ago, oikos1 said:

Stricker picked...Stricker.  Have to let it play out, but if they don't win he will be eviscerated.

Who was Stricker "supposed to" pick? 

Seems to me he and his assistant captain's know more about the players performance, health, personalities and impact on group dynamics than anyone here on WRX. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JohnnyCashForever said:

Kisner on the Ryder Cup process (from Fore Play Golf):

"They like ask all these smart people that I think are dumb a**** to try to help them and figure out a way to be better and they try to make it too big of a deal”. 

Kisner on how he would run the US team:

Great... when he's Captain he can use that process.  Might work, might not.  Doesn't mean the existing process is bad or good. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dropkicked said:

^Gotta love the Kiz..sobering comments for sure.

Kisner participated in this podcast on Aug 17.  It probably didn't help his chances as a Captain's pick very much.  Basically, he torches the whole Ryder Cup process.  But I would guess he sleeps pretty well at night.  He speaks the truth as he sees it and moves on.  Agree or disagree, I love him for it.

• Like 1

As a Canadian with Euro parents I cheer for the Euro’s but I do have some US players I like so it makes for 3 days of great golf entertainment

The funny thing is, every RC, you read about how strong the US team is on paper, based on individual rankings worldwide …. Newsflash, that means sweet FA in a team event

you need guys with grind, putting savants, short game wizards, guys that are $$$$ under pressure, guys that want to win for their country, and THIS IS BIG ….. win for their friends/peers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

17 hours ago, Simp said:

Terrible picks. How do you leave Na and Kiz off the team? They at least bring some fire. Berger and Scheffler are so boring. Stricker really dropped the ball on this one. It'll be over by Saturday afternoon. 

Havent gone through the whole thread, but Whistling Straits is going to play damn near 8000 yards.  Its fall, so the winds will be up.  Approaches into many of these par 4's will be at, around, or over 200 yards.  

They did an analysis of performance at Whistling Straits and it was clear that driving distance was the #1 factor to success there.  The US team is going to have the advantage in distance off the tee, so they're going to set the course up as even more of a bombers paradise than it already is.  Kevin Na hitting long irons and rescues/hybrids into half of these holes isn't a recipe for success.

I don't think Kiz was ever in serious consideration anyway, but Na probably makes the team if the venue is different

17 hours ago, BCC1898 said:

The English, Berger, and Schiffler picks are horrendous. Our captains lose the Cup for us before we get started all the time. 

English and Berger were both in the top 12 in points.  Scheffler is an interesting pick, but the dude can crush it and knows how to putt.  And he and Spieth make the perfect team.

I guess who else are you going to take?  I would argue the only surprise to me not being picked was Webb Simpson, who has been one of the most consistent American golfers for a long time.

Edited by JaNelson38
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Pat du Golf said:

Yes, Striker can't pick everybody. Come On Man,...... KEVIN NA HAS TO win ALL 4 majors in order to get a call? In this long ball era, he is very talented tee to green to carry his own.

Compare his records from the past 3 years to other picks from this morning..... Berger? Scotty S? T. Finau?

I know Striker and the Ryder Cup big wigs are anonymous in this forum (golfwrx)......

You must give KN a call......his records, his passion and cultural background can't be discounted........

Pick up the phone

Kevin Na's record at Whistling Straits:

2010 PGA:  T58

2015 PGA:  Cut

11 hours ago, CCTxGolf said:

I think one problem that not many people bring up is that two automatic qualifier spots are filled by two of America’s/worlds greatest golfers that give absolutely not one squat about playing in these comps. 

DJ and Brooks don’t care at all and play like they don’t care at all. They qualified automatically and I think that might be one small waste.

Hopefully I’m wrong and they bring more fire to this cup and DJ is one of my all time faves. They just carry themselves and play as though they’d rather be doing more fun off-season activities.

I get the Brooks comment since he's already said he only cares about majors.  But DJ I just think has that personality that he doesn't show his emotions.  It's like watching Tim Duncan play basketball.  You couldn't tell if he was playing good or bad.

• Like 2

Anyone know for sure if Brooks is going to play? 

Bomber course or not if he drops out and they choose Webb over Na it will be hard to convince me the system isn’t stupid and their version of what a team guy just means guys they like. 

Pretty sure Na’s distance is comparable to many of the euros. 

They will have enough potential drama with the Brooks and Bryson.  No reason to make it a trifecta and throw Reed into the mix.  I would have rather seen Na and Kisner over Berger and Scheffler but I understand both Na and Kis are short knockers by tour standards and they are playing a long course so on paper it makes sense but Ryder Cups are rarely won on paper.

17 minutes ago, WannabePaperTiger said:

Bomber course or not if he drops out and they choose Webb over Na it will be hard to convince me the system isn’t stupid and their version of what a team guy just means guys they like. 

I'm not sure how he compares to the Euros. But here's 5 guys stats, 2 made the team and 3 didn't.  Can anyone name them?

1.jpg.ca5736b25673b8013c7b952fffe23464.jpg

2.jpg.6be647998f6d69ee60df89efa7796d83.jpg

3.jpg.01665515bb9b8e7aed88fb3670c1309b.jpg

4.jpg.1327ad4bb3d88e06ddd338dff5c8e232.jpg

5.jpg.7f690e3522c163b856acd318d9f442e9.jpg

34 minutes ago, WannabePaperTiger said:

Na was whopping 4 yards longer off the tee than the 54-year old captain of the US team this year.  

At Whistling Straits, hitting it 285-290 off the tee is going to be a major disadvantage, which is why neither Na or Webb was picked.  But at least Webb has the credibility of having won majors and being compeitive in big events, along with having Ryder Cup experience and being decent in the matches.  

3 hours ago, JohnnyCashForever said:

Kisner on the Ryder Cup process (from Fore Play Golf):

"They like ask all these smart people that I think are dumb a**** to try to help them and figure out a way to be better and they try to make it too big of a deal”. 

Kisner on how he would run the US team:

And this is why we said Kisner should have been picked.  He and Na.  Leaders are born that way.  He’s the guy who people listen to when he speaks.  Like him or hate him , you will find it hard to argue with or dismiss him.  

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

2 hours ago, cardoustie said:

I cannot believe guys think not taking PReed was a mistake.  The kid, and his Kookoo bananas wife, was a cancer to the team in Paris

Just a difference of perspective.  I’d take an undefeated singles guy with that length of history any day over almost any  rookie. Put him on notice that the record is The only reason  for the pick.  And dare him to earn it.  He wasn’t the cancer.  But let’s just say he was.  He was NOT the lone tumor.  

to me this is where the euros get it right. They pick players often that the us hates to face.  They don’t choose based on this clicky buddy crap.  I doubt very seriously if Ian poulter is best pals with all.  But as long as he’s the putting thorn that he is. He will get picked.  Smartly so. 

anyway. In short. This idea of friendship is the problem for the US team.  They all want to be comfortable.  Should be focusing on winning instead.  Kevin Na is another thing. The guy just has the intangible thing that you can’t buy.  And his putter is too hot to touch without gloves.  Can’t believe Sheffler or Berger got picked over him.  But I’m not captain. Just a disappointed  fan who knows what’s coming. 

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 3

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

2 hours ago, JaNelson38 said:

Havent gone through the whole thread, but Whistling Straits is going to play damn near 8000 yards.  Its fall, so the winds will be up.  Approaches into many of these par 4's will be at, around, or over 200 yards.  

They did an analysis of performance at Whistling Straits and it was clear that driving distance was the #1 factor to success there.  The US team is going to have the advantage in distance off the tee, so they're going to set the course up as even more of a bombers paradise than it already is.  Kevin Na hitting long irons and rescues/hybrids into half of these holes isn't a recipe for success.

I don't think Kiz was ever in serious consideration anyway, but Na probably makes the team if the venue is different

English and Berger were both in the top 12 in points.  Scheffler is an interesting pick, but the dude can crush it and knows how to putt.  And he and Spieth make the perfect team.

I guess who else are you going to take?  I would argue the only surprise to me not being picked was Webb Simpson, who has been one of the most consistent American golfers for a long time.

Hmmm, you mentioned Webb and some wrx’r named @Simplikes it.

Webb, dat you? 

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

3 hours ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Who was Stricker "supposed to" pick? 

Seems to me he and his assistant captain's know more about the players performance, health, personalities and impact on group dynamics than anyone here on WRX. 

Sticker is supposed to pick who he wants to pick.  I believe that is why he has six picks.

With those six picks comes a higher degree of analysis and accountability.  You may be fine with those picks, others not so much.  Everyone has an opinion.  It makes things a bit more interesting. Or we could all get in line and be good soldiers:

South Korea's Air Force Chief Resigns Over Woman's Death | Military.com

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, tiderider said:

"carry themselves" ... i'd be interested in understanding how you define that phrase (and what they are doing to meet that definition) for those two, as it pertains to general notions of playing in an iconic, international exhibition/match/competition/etc and not giving a "squat" ... 

by carry themselves I mean how many memorable moments have Brooks and DJ been involved in. Whether good or bad. They have no fire in these events. 

They seem uninterested. Of course this is just my opinion watching from afar. 

7 hours ago, grm24 said:

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/us-ryder-cup-captains-picks-include-jordan-spieth-not-patrick-reed

Reed is a combined 2-5 in his last two team appearances, at the 2019 Presidents Cup and 2018 Ryder Cup, and was also embroiled in controversy at both events. After the Americans’ loss in Paris, Reed called out captain Jim Furyk, as well as teammates Tiger Woods and Jordan Spieth, in a New York Times interview. A year later in Australia, his rules violation at the Hero World Challenge the week prior followed him to Royal Melbourne, where his caddie, Kessler Karain, was suspended from the singles session after an altercation with a fan the previous day.

^^^Exactly. He ain't captain America anymore.

• Like 1