2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

The 2020/2021 U.S. Ryder Cup team is...

Frankensteins Monster

On 9/10/2021 at 2:29 PM, ShowMe said:

If he really has "National pride," he'll show up and root the team on, like Bubba Watson does.  Let's see if he does.  Then we'll know how much of it is about his love for the country, or if it's all about himself.  I know which one my money's on.

Drawing unnecessary lines in the sand with that.  You don't see too many guys on the outside looking in showing up to root on the team (in fact, pretty much never if they aren't vice-captains), and it would be a distraction.  

Wouldn't expect him to show or think any differently of him if he didn't, nor should anyone else . . . I guess, except the Mensa crowd, lol.

Edited by Hawkeye77

1 hour ago, caniac6 said:

Take Billy if Brooks can't play. It's hard to think of anyone that could be a better team player, and with his intensity, he could be the American Poulter. 

He won!

Pretty interesting that even though he said all the right things about not being picked that it did bug him and serve as some motivation this week that Stricker didn't even call him to say, "hey, I'm not picking you".  LOL, as many times as he said he apologized to Reed for not picking him, you'd think Billy would have been in the conversation at least, and he, IMO, would have been a fine pick.  

With the win and his attitude and form right now, I'd argue him over Na if Brooks can't go.

• Like 2

These are just my personal feelings in the Ryder Cup I’ve felt this way almost since I can remember and it’s only gotten reenforced as time has passed. 

The Ryder Cup is just an exhibition, much like the Olympics, ones patriotism isn’t measured by showing up and rooting for their side if a player isn’t picked. There is nothing brave or patriotic about a golf shot. It’s the single most overhyped “us vs them” in the sporting world. To me I’m so familiar with names on both sides it’s not really a division. A majority of guys on both teams live stateside or play the PGA Tour mostly anyways. Granted because whether you like it or not the PGA Tour is the best professional golf tour in the world an as such attracts the best players from all over the world. The whole manufactured drama of the task force to determine why the European wins was much to do about nothing to me, they win because they play better…it’s not a chemistry issue or talent issue (definitely not that if you go by OWGR) it’s just they simply play better golf. 

This whole thing with Patrick Reed, I don’t know him, I know people that do including his college coaches. He is legit trash of human being, the lowest common denominator for humanity just a massive thumbs down for the entire Reed family. That he procreated is an abomination BUT why wouldn’t he be mad if he felt like he should be on the team? I’d been cut and left off teams that I felt I should have been on and I’m still upset about it 25+ years later (granted nothing of importance high school and college basketball) but still if you’re left off of a team as a competitor it sucks. 

As far as a solution goes, I’m not sure what the answer is. To me it’s more on the players to have some professionalism and pride in their craft why am not great in this event/format? But as far as fixing that? I don’t know. Look at the best golf player ever, Tiger. He’s 13-17-3 in this event, yes he’s 4-1-2 in singles and earned 14 points putting him top 10 for USA but that’s not a great record at all. So to me it’s not a captains issue, or chemistry issue, it’s squarely on the players to just play better. Just my two cents

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Drawing unnecessary lines in the sand with that.  You don't see too many guys on the outside looking in showing up to root on the team (in fact, pretty much never if they aren't vice-captains), and it would be a distraction.  

Wouldn't expect him to show or think any differently of him if he didn't, nor should anyone else . . . I guess, except the Mensa crowd, lol.

You also don't see too many golfers wrapping themselves in the American flag and calling themselves Captain America.  If he really cares more about the country winning the tournament then his own results, then he'll show up.  Bubba does.

At least that's what the Mensa crowd tell me...😮

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

36 minutes ago, ShowMe said:

You also don't see too many golfers wrapping themselves in the American flag and calling themselves Captain America.  If he really cares more about the country winning the tournament then his own results, then he'll show up.  Bubba does.

At least that's what the Mensa crowd tell me...😮

I guess you'd claim to know, but you take your dislike of Reed too far and to the point of more straw man arguments which are pointless.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

I guess you'd claim to know, but you take your dislike of Reed too far and to the point of more straw man arguments which are pointless.

Liking or disliking has nothing to do with it.  I don't like Koepka either, but he definitely belongs on the team.  Don't be petty.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

in for a BIG Disappointment

• Haha 1

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2021 at 2:33 PM, Simp said:

Terrible picks. How do you leave Na and Kiz off the team? They at least bring some fire. Berger and Scheffler are so boring. Stricker really dropped the ball on this one. It'll be over by Saturday afternoon. 

Over by Saturday afternoon? You were correct!

• Haha 3

On 9/25/2021 at 12:09 PM, Mustard_Tiger said:

Over by Saturday afternoon? You were correct!

Lol. That didn't age well. I love your forum name. Most won't get it though. 

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

Was it a big surprise that USA won, not really but it was a surprise that they won as big as they did. The other big surprise which was pretty cool was when Brooks came up and gave Bryson a hug. Good job USA Go Rahm and Garcia, Go team Spain. Those 2 did a nice job 

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

Just now, Tiptx1122 said:

Was it a big surprise that USA won, not really but it was a surprise that they won as big as they did. The other big surprise which was pretty cool was when Brooks came up and gave Bryson a hug. Good job USA Go Rahm and Garcia, Go team Spain. Those 2 did a nice job 

Brooks and Bryson got together last off season and mapped out their "feud". Of course the golf world took it hook, line and sinker.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

11 minutes ago, Bad9 said:

Brooks and Bryson got together last off season and mapped out their "feud". Of course the golf world took it hook, line and sinker.

I know but it was good to see it as social media is what has been ruining this country for years. 

• Like 1

I really wished Brooks could have gotten a hole in one as he came so close on the 17th hole as that could have been the match clincher, talk about excitement that would have been. It was nice for Collin but to only tie the match to get the point clincher just didn't really have excitement. Also glad DJ went undefeated but to do so by another person miss putt. Overall there was a lot of excitement for those 3 days and USA proved they were the better team, much better. Hope to see a repeat when the play in Rome during the next Ryder Cup

• 5 months later...
On 9/8/2021 at 12:33 PM, Simp said:

Terrible picks. How do you leave Na and Kiz off the team? They at least bring some fire. Berger and Scheffler are so boring. Stricker really dropped the ball on this one. It'll be over by Saturday afternoon. 

How could you pick Kisner or Na over SS? How could you pick them on that course too?

SS was easily the right pick for the RC. After the group matchup this week the whole Na/Kiz deal for RC snub was fired back up. SS is so much better than those 2. 

Edited by MUNIGRIT

4 hours ago, MUNIGRIT said:

How could you pick Kisner or Na over SS? How could you pick them on that course too?

SS was easily the right pick for the RC. After the group matchup this week the whole Na/Kiz deal for RC snub was fired back up. SS is so much better than those 2. 

At the time it was iffy.  How many wins did Scheffler have back then? It’s ok…I’ll give you time to count them all.🤣

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

20 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

If you looked at his stats back then and compared to others (as I did) he was never an iffy pick. 

We don’t know you compared like that as you never posted the results…at least not in this thread.

Most of these teams seem to want guys as proven as possible.  Scheffler was not the proven entity.  But he was the guy that fit in with the rest of the team the best.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

2 hours ago, Shilgy said:

We don’t know you compared like that as you never posted the results…at least not in this thread.

Most of these teams seem to want guys as proven as possible.  Scheffler was not the proven entity.  But he was the guy that fit in with the rest of the team the best.

Yeah not in this thread but here.

Edited by BlackDiamondPar5

3 hours ago, Shilgy said:

At the time it was iffy.  How many wins did Scheffler have back then? It’s ok…I’ll give you time to count them all.🤣

It wasn't iffy. It was pretty clear then he was a superior player and a much better course fit. When you guys were saying he hasn't won on tour yet though! How quick do you expect someone to win once they join the PGA tour? Nobody ever brings up his Korn Ferry success.