Driver Length - what are you playing and why ? does anyone really know the tour average for length ...

smithy23

Hi All 

Something i guess over the years has always wondered.... 

I got fitted 5 years ago for driver shaft - Oban Iwasa Red 04 Flex tipped an inch to 44" End of Grip to adaptor. 

Purchased a new driver last year G410 SFT with the std tour silver 60g shaft at 45" EOG to adaptor. 

It may now be physclogical but i seem to struggle with a 45" shaft and newer drivers just seem to be getting longer and longer. 

I have the Oban now in the Ping and am happy and fairly consistent even if i do feel im leaving some yards out there and interestingly having just seen the latest TxG video on testing shaft length it got me wondering what is everyone playing in terms of driver length ....

Are you buying off the rack and rolling with it , if your getting fitted is it something fitters are saying we need to go shorter / longer etc just keen to know 

There has always to me seemed to be this myth that tour average is like 44 / 44.5" anyone know if thats true ?? 

For ref im 5'10" so think i pretty much fit into the bang average height category here

cheers all and stay safe 

D- Ping G410 SFT - Oban Iwasa 04 

3Wd - Ping G425 SFT - Ping Tour Stiff 

4# Srixon ZX5 Tour AD DI 95 Stiff

5+6# Srixon ZX5 - MMT 105 S

7-PW# Srixon ZX7 - MMT 105 S

50 - Vokey SM8

56 - TM MG3 Tiger Spec

P- Betti Queen B #12

4 minutes ago, smithy23 said:

There has always to me seemed to be this myth that tour average is like 44 / 44.5" anyone know if thats true ?? 

I guess Tour average driver finished length is 45.25".  Longer shafts produce longer driving distances. If a player wants more control he swings his 43" to 43.5" 3-wood from the tee box. Players who try a 44.5" driver shaft typically find the shot distance is close to their 3-wood shot distance.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

I've been building/tweaking my clubs for years and after countless experiments I have determined that I am most consistent with driver at 44.5" or 44.75". The added consistency let's me swing harder and hit it further.

Aside from length it's equally or more important to get the right weight.

With my current setup I am hitting it the furthest I ever have at age 55. On our 18th hole there is a fairway bunker that in the previous 10 seasons I have been in or past maybe twice. I have been past it probably 8 times this season so far.

• Like 2

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

24 minutes ago, smithy23 said:

Hi All 

Something i guess over the years has always wondered.... 

I got fitted 5 years ago for driver shaft - Oban Iwasa Red 04 Flex tipped an inch to 44" End of Grip to adaptor. 

Purchased a new driver last year G410 SFT with the std tour silver 60g shaft at 45" EOG to adaptor. 

It may now be physclogical but i seem to struggle with a 45" shaft and newer drivers just seem to be getting longer and longer. 

I have the Oban now in the Ping and am happy and fairly consistent even if i do feel im leaving some yards out there and interestingly having just seen the latest TxG video on testing shaft length it got me wondering what is everyone playing in terms of driver length ....

Are you buying off the rack and rolling with it , if your getting fitted is it something fitters are saying we need to go shorter / longer etc just keen to know 

For ref im 5'10" so think i pretty much fit into the bang average height category here

cheers all and stay safe 

44.5" - 60g shaft, added 12g to the head, 30g counterweight in grip. Just had the best round driving the ball in over 3 years.

• Like 1

LTDx LS 11.5* - Tensei White 65X

G430 Max 15* - Ping Chrome 75S

King Tec Hybrid 19* - MMT 80S

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F, 54S, 60M

White Hot OG 7CH

I used to always play a shorter driver.  Usually 44-44.5" as that seemed to give me the best accuracy without too much distance lost.  Anything longer I just didn't have the control.  I then built a Ping G30 at 45" with a Hzrdus Yellow and D5 and it was a phenomenal combo although spun a little too much at times but it was really accurate.  

However, after noticing that the tour average has seemingly increased the past several years (when I see WITB lots of guys seem to use 45+" drivers) and my slight loss in distance I decided to experiment with longer drivers. Tried a '17 M2 at 46" and it was really long but accuracy suffered a little.  Now I have a Rogue at 45.5"  and through 4 rounds with it my accuracy has been the same as the Ping but it's noticeably longer.  Hit 10/11 fairways this past weekend with it.  I think the key for me was trusting the longer/lighter shaft and just focusing on a rhythm for the swing. 

Maltby KE4 TC Max MPF Pro Stiff
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 19*, 22* Matrix  HX3 White Tie
Taylormade Burner TP Japan Issue 5-PW DG120

Callaway MD4 Raw 52*, 58* DG115
Maltby PTM-5

Mine is 45 inches long. I've been playing that length since the r7.

Tour average last I saw was 45.5. That was from 2 different tour reps.

Dr. Sim2 8° w/ RDX blue 60 6.5

3 Wood. Sim2 15° and 19° w/ Diamana 70x

Ui. Callaway x forged ut 21° w/ dg120 x100

4 to GW. Mizuno Pro 223 w/ dg120 x100

SW and Lw. 54° and 58° Milled grind raw w/ dg s200

Putter. Odyssey OG 1ws, 33 inches

Ball. Taylormade TP5x

45 minutes ago, smithy23 said:

I'm not sure what the tour average would tell us, other than that pros have shorter driver shafts than us mere mortals.

48 minutes ago, smithy23 said:

It may now be psychological but i seem to struggle with a 45" shaft and newer drivers just seem to be getting longer and longer. 

No, it's more an issue of physics. Do a face decal test with your new 45" driver. Hit 10 shots and see where the impact points fall. If the impacts are scattered all over the face, your shaft is too long for you. Shaft length should maximize the combination of leverage and control. This is a basic diagnostic test from The GolfWorks Academy.

Yeaars ago, I snapped the steel shaft on my persimmon-headed driver. Just for fun, I had the clubsmith trim the replacement shaft at 46". That was long for when average length for driver was ~ 43.5". The good news: I hit some really long drivers. The bad news: about four times a round, I had to chip sideways back to fairway because the ball was deep in the trees. And once a round, the ball was so deep in the trees I couldn't find it. Had clubsmith trim it back to 43.5" during a regrip.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Though there are much longer drivers and shorter drivers, but I have been told by tour guys average is around 44.75".  I've tried lengths to 46" and as short as 43" but those lengths didn't feel natural to me.  Years back when I hit 44.75" playing length, it just felt right.  It's long enough so when I grip at the butt-end I get a tad more yardage and when I choke down 1.75" I have reliable control.

This https://golf.com/?p=14836131 confirms it.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

I typically play 44-44.5" with heavier head weight for swing weight purposes. After messing with a 45" driver the last year, I can say with 100% certainty that, for me, a shorter driver results in much more consistency, comfortability, and overall better play with minimal, if any, loss of distance. For my buddies who are newer to the game or who want to improve, that's one of my first recommendations and I've had multiple friends convert and say the same thing. I will never go back to 45"+ drivers. 

Driver: TaylorMade QI10 9 degree Tour AD VF 6TX
Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Tour 14.5 w/Tensei CK White 70TX

Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue 11 18 degree X flex
Irons: New Level 623 CB w/Modus 105X
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zip Core 52, 58 KBS 610 S+ 
Putter: Cobra Armlock
Ball: 2024 Bridgestone BX / 2024 Chrome Tour X

Played most of my drivers at 44.25 and below since the start of the 460 head drivers. Couldn’t hit anything else . But recently went to a Ping G425 Max with a 45.75 inch shaft and it works great. Had to change shaft though to a Project X Evenflow Blue 5.5 shaft for accuracy. 

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

I was having a lot of issues with a slice last year so I got a heavier shaft and cut an ince off, then added 6g to the head. 

Now that I had a proper lesson, my drives are much better. I have thought about a driver fitting, but haven't yet until my swing is a bit more solid.

• Like 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

Got fitted for my PING G425 Max at 44.75" and it's just so much more comfortable to me than longer drivers. Have a slightly heavier weight in it (29g) that gives me a D4 swingweight at that length. I struggle with consistency of strike with anything longer.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke ♦♦♦ 10.5° Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6X

Titleist TSR1 15° Atmos TS 8S

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke ♦♦♦ 20° Ventus TR Red 7X

Callaway Mavrik Max 24° Project X Catalyst 75S

Titleist T150 6-GW Modus 120S

Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F, 58.14K (at 56°), 60.04T DG Wedge Flex

Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 1.5 Prototype

Driver "playing length" is with head attached, not just shaft length (and it differs depending on brand - some add 1", some 1.5", etc.).  I looked over the data available not long ago and the average playing length on tour is around 45", with many over 45".  Ping has most of their tour staff info readily available and Chris Trott of Taylormade has most of their staff's build sheets on his Instagram.  

https://www.instagram.com/trottiegolf/?hl=en

https://ping.com/en-us/pros/pga-tour

I play mine at 45".  I played 44.5" for a long time as I got better off the tee.  This year I briefly experimented with 44.5" and 44.25" and my strike pattern was too spread out, so now I'm back to 45".  I'm 5'10 and some change with a 34" wrist to floor measurement (both measured with golf shoes on).  

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

I used 44.5” for 20 years but just went to 44.75” this year with lighter shaft. I’ve been lightening up my shafts the past few years. 

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

38 minutes ago, cwilk said:

Driver "playing length" is with head attached, not just shaft length (and it differs depending on brand - some add 1", some 1.5", etc.).  I looked over the data available not long ago and the average playing length on tour is around 45", with many over 45".  Ping has most of their tour staff info readily available and Chris Trott of Taylormade has most of their staff's build sheets on his Instagram.  

https://www.instagram.com/trottiegolf/?hl=en

https://ping.com/en-us/pros/pga-tour

I play mine at 45".  I played 44.5" for a long time as I got better off the tee.  This year I briefly experimented with 44.5" and 44.25" and my strike pattern was too spread out, so now I'm back to 45".  I'm 5'10 and some change with a 34" wrist to floor measurement (both measured with golf shoes on).  

I get the driver playing length is going to differ somewhat due to how each manufacturer designs the head and hosel length , it would appear ping is around 3/4” longer in playing length so with my Oban shaft I’m 44.75 playing length compared to 45.75 with the standard ping shaft 

I guess for me I feel I’m giving up some yards potentially but wondered do others when being fitted ever get spec’d for length or is it swing as long a driver as you can control or do some not even give it a moments thought 

D- Ping G410 SFT - Oban Iwasa 04 

3Wd - Ping G425 SFT - Ping Tour Stiff 

4# Srixon ZX5 Tour AD DI 95 Stiff

5+6# Srixon ZX5 - MMT 105 S

7-PW# Srixon ZX7 - MMT 105 S

50 - Vokey SM8

56 - TM MG3 Tiger Spec

P- Betti Queen B #12

45.75 Now. Ive tried to go shorter and it just doesnt work for me. Im 6 foot 3 so that tends to work pretty well. I recently switched to x flex from stiff and im hitting my driver best i ever have. Shame i was so afraid of x flex for last 15 years wish i would of switched a long time ago. 

TM M5 9* + Diamana R50x @ 47 3/4". Bomber........

Driver: still looking.....
4 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 17.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW70x @ 42 1/2".

7 Wood: Kamui Pro TP-XF 22.5° + Fujikura Speeder Evolution VI FW80x @ 41 3/4".
Irons: Kamui Pro KP-102 5i-PW + KBS TGI 110 + 1/2".
Wedges: Callaway Jaws Forged 50°/55°/60° + KBS C-Taper
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

I play 45 now. I use to play 44 since I lost accuracy at 45 but I slowly added length over the years to 44.25,44.5,44.75 and then finally at 45. Shorter always worked for me and sort of was quick fix to getting quick with my swing but I took the time and solved my timing issues and now 45 is comfortable for me. 45 is my max and I won’t go any longer.

44.25-44.75 for the past 30 years or so. The difference in the lengths is finding center-face-contact with different head shapes. Currently 44.5.

• Like 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

43.75 because as soon as I go longer than that I have lots of 50 yard hooks or 30 yard blocks. Got really back into golf last year and was struggling keeping the ball in play with driver. Put a shorter shaft into my driver head and presto, straight without any loss of distance.

if you do go the shorter route pay attention to the weight of the head. Last year as I started using the shortie the weight made no difference. However, the more I’ve played and practiced my swing speed has gone from 90-92 to 98-100. This has led to some real “feel” issues for me this season that I only just figured out/fixed.

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

I had an 9* epic subzero with a kuro kage dual core 70tx @44.5 that was pretty good. Then went to a SIM Max 9* with a Tensei Av raw orange 75tx @44 and didn't hit that so well. Added lead tape to the head and it was better but I felt the short length changed my delivery and to be fair I've been changing my swing this year via online lessons. 

For the last 3 months I went 1st gen SIM 9* with a Ventus Black 6x and have never hit the driver this consistent. Zero rights (im a lefty) and feel of the length and ventus is so confidence inspiring. 

45" with a mid 60 gram seems to be the best for me. I'm 5'11" so pretty standard height. 

Trimmed (butt trim) an inch off the standard length off my SIm Max and added a few grams to get the swing weight right.   

distance is about the same and errors have dropped.  

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Rossie nsl og slant neck.  

There's two key factors to consider.

With perfect swings, perfect strike, a longer shaft will obviously produce more distance if swung at the same rate. But we all have a point of diminishing returns where adding shaft length no longer increases swing speed. For me, that's around 45 inches. Any longer than that and I actually LOSE swing speed (on average).

Then you have the other diminishing returns calculation -- identifying the point at which the distance gained from a longer shaft is outweighed by the inconsistency of strike. When considering this, and the previous factor, my ideal driver length is about 44.50. 

Titleist TSR3 1w Ventus Red x

Titleist TSR2 3w 5w GD AD DIx

Titleist TSR2 4h 5h GD AD Dix

Titleist T100 6i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

45 inches.  Perfect blend of length and accuracy for the tee for me.  I've played a 46 inch driver once.  When I mashed it one it was 20 yards longer BUT, I couldn't find the sweet spot consistently.  It also produced a lot more curve on mishits as well.  Ended up cutting it back down to 45 inches.  I tried a 44.5 inch driver once and I was just as accurate as the 45 but 10 yards shorter on average. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2