P Reed not happy about Ryder Cup snub

DrivingChamp

3 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

YOU were arguing that because he could drive 12 hours - and finish 4 rounds - that is an indication he was healthy enough to take on the Ryder Cup. Thats YOUR argument. So now your bar is that he can be considered to be in game shape because he could *finish* four rounds of golf? FINISHING four rounds of golf in a no cut event...thats now the bar?

He had to ride to the event because the doctors would not medically clear him to fly - because his lungs were not healthy enough to simply sit in an airplane under cabin pressurization. Think about that for a minute before arguing that he's healthy.

I

What would the bar be if not completing a tournament? Like I said before, he tied Scheffler 

905S 9.5 Graffaloy Blue S
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

Ping G25 3 hybrid S300
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW S300
Ping Glide Stealth 52*/ Ping Tour S 56*/Ping Glide 3.0 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35”
Pro V1

4 minutes ago, kasting333 said:

What would the bar be if not completing a tournament? Like I said before, he tied Scheffler 

Scheffler also had more top 10's than Reed all season, fewer missed cuts, better birdie to bogey ratio and I believe finished ahead of Reed almost every tournament they both played and Scheff finished better in every major this year except The Masters.

Again he couldn't fly. It takes months to fully recover.  Seems like your making decisions based on emotions, not facts and data. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/14/2021 at 3:38 PM, ShowMe said:

Here's some math...

0 for 7 = .000

PR's team match record without Spieth as a partner.  Until he can prove that he can win with another partner, any partner, then he will remain an anchor on any future team he makes.

Spieth, on the other hand, has proven that he can win with other partners.

Oh, and a golfer can play in 4 team matches, but just 1 singles math, so it's not really 16-12 on a per golfer basis.  It's 4-1.  I'll take a guy with the potential to win 4 points vs. 1 point any day.  More math.  🙃

If some believe Reed’s Cup success is ancient history where is the line? A couple weeks, months? One year? Some are using Scheffler’s “success” in the past year and ignoring the most recent success of Na tying Rahr for low gross in the Tour Championship. What does Scottie’s play a year ago have to do with current form?

Callaway Epic Speed 9* playing at 8* PX Hzrdus Green 60s

Titleist TS3 strong 3 wood 13.5* PX Hzrdus. Smoke 75s

Titleist 818H2 19* hybrid Tensei Blue

Adams A12 21* UST VTS Silver 75s

Titleist TS3 23* Tensei Blue

Srixon ZX7 6-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125s

Taylormade MG2 50* 54* 58* DG S300

Scotty Cameron Newport Special Select 34” with flow neck by LaMont

1 hour ago, Shilgy said:

If some believe Reed’s Cup success is ancient history where is the line? A couple weeks, months? One year? Some are using Scheffler’s “success” in the past year and ignoring the most recent success of Na tying Rahr for low gross in the Tour Championship. What does Scottie’s play a year ago have to do with current form?

The line is Reed proving that he can win a team match with somebody other than Spieth as his partner.  He's had ample chance over the past few years and has not performed well.

Scheffler has been playing well for the past 6 months, especially in the big tournaments.  18th at the Masters.  8th at the PGA.  3rd at the Memorial.  7th at the US Open.  8th at The Open.

Na has been playing well lately, but he missed the cut at the PGA and the US Open, so not as well in the big tournaments.

Callaway Epic Max LS MMT 70X

Titleist TSi2 13.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSi2 18* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist 816H2 23* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G425 5-UW Steelfiber i95S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i95S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Newport M2

45 minutes ago, ShowMe said:

The line is Reed proving that he can win a team match with somebody other than Spieth as his partner.  He's had ample chance over the past few years and has not performed well.

Scheffler has been playing well for the past 6 months, especially in the big tournaments.  18th at the Masters.  8th at the PGA.  3rd at the Memorial.  7th at the US Open.  8th at The Open.

Na has been playing well lately, but he missed the cut at the PGA and the US Open, so not as well in the big tournaments.

It will be sort of hard forReed to show that if he is not picked for future competitions.😆 The majors were about all Scheffler semi succeeded at.

My post was directed at one saying Reed’s Ryder experience was useless because it was three and five years ago. Well so as everbodies.

And your reference to Schefflers alleged success was for events months ago. Most recently in the stress filled playoffs his best finish was 22nd—-out of a 30 man field.

10 hours ago, Shilgy said:

It will be sort of hard forReed to show that if he is not picked for future competitions.😆 The majors were about all Scheffler semi succeeded at.

My post was directed at one saying Reed’s Ryder experience was useless because it was three and five years ago. Well so as everbodies.

And your reference to Schefflers alleged success was for events months ago. Most recently in the stress filled playoffs his best finish was 22nd—-out of a 30 man field.

It was five and *seven* years ago. Whatever the line is - we can agree that because you played well in an event SEVEN years ago, that should probably have no practical bearing in whether or not you get picked for a team event now, right? BTW plenty of players had success in the 2018 and the 2019 PC. Reed was 0-5 in team matches.

And again the Reed apologists want to completely ignore the fact that less than *three weeks ago* he was still not healthy enough to be medically cleared to get on an airplane. Not to fly the airplane - just to get one one as a passenger, he was not healthy enough to be cleared to do that. If you want to ignore that and say he's completely fine to play in a grueling, high stress, three day team event - on a course that can be a brutal walk and has a lot of elevation changes - then I dont know what to tell you.

• Like 4

SIM Max 12* - Rogue Elite Green 65x
Callaway Apex 18* / 20* - Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8x
P790 6i / P770 5i-GW // Steelfiber 95s
Vokey SM8 Raw 54* / 58* / 62*
Scotty Golo 5R 35" / ProV1X Left Dash

31 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

It was five and *seven* years ago. Whatever the line is - we can agree that because you played well in an event SEVEN years ago, that should probably have no practical bearing in whether or not you get picked for a team event now, right? BTW plenty of players had success in the 2018 and the 2019 PC. Reed was 0-5 in team matches.

And again the Reed apologists want to completely ignore the fact that less than *three weeks ago* he was still not healthy enough to be medically cleared to get on an airplane. Not to fly the airplane - just to get one one as a passenger, he was not healthy enough to be cleared to do that. If you want to ignore that and say he's completely fine to play in a grueling, high stress, three day team event - on a course that can be a brutal walk and has a lot of elevation changes - then I dont know what to tell you.

2-4-6-8…..if his past positive experience doesn’t matter because it’s too long ago please tell that to all the Ryder Cup captains and players that hav ever lived.  Every single one of them has said it is a golf competition like no other in the different pressures it brings. Every single captain has tried o make sure he doesn’t have to many rookies to the competition.

Why is that do you think? They are two years apart so everyone is speaking of experiences 2-4-6-8 years ago as if it is a valuable thing to have.

If Reed is still not healthy then no he shouldn’t be picked.  But that is a totally separate issue than the discussion of is he more worthy than some of the others.  
  Pick the most qualified players and let them sort it out in the clubhouse.  Give me the guys that care and have proven themselves in competition.  Like those that some here wish to ignore with a 3-0 singles mark.

• Like 1

LOL the "health issue" is totally separate than whether or not he was worthy of being picked? So just pick the most qualified and let the clubhouse sort it out.

HAHAHA.

OK fine, I want Tiger picked then.

Edited by dcmidnight

1 hour ago, dcmidnight said:

While that is absolutely true and a valid reason to not pick him.  We all know that he wasn’t picked for other reasons.  The popularity contest reasons. If he’s healthy , they don’t pick him.  And I think then it’s a mistake.  

our greater point is to point out and hopefully change the US teams ways so that we win once in a while.  The picks should be with an aim to win.  NA should be on the team.  And I believe Kisner should be as well.  Reed if he was healthy. We need grinders who can  putt.  Guys who care about the TEAM winning.  

we can call it nationalism , or whatever.  But it’s needed to win.  The attitude expressed recently by some guy who made it on points , plus the display he started in France , is the absolute clear example of why we continue to lose.  We’re just tired of that mess.  Reed or no Reed.  The idea of length as The only pick criteria is just crap.  We need intestinal fortitude, and a hot putter a lot of the times.  

• Like 1

Epic Speed triple diamond 8.7 TB70 TX

TM 300 mini 13.5 Tensei CK blue 80TX 

TM sim max 18 Aldila rogue proto 85TX 

Titleist T100 4-gap MMT 125 TX 

Edel  SMS 54 58 MMT 125 TX ( testing ) 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

57 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

7 years ago, PR was ranked #27. 

Goes 3-1-0 in the RC and takes out Stenson who is ranked #5 in the world

5 years ago he goes 4-0-1 in the RC and takes out Rory who is ranked #3 in the world 

2018 PR gets paired with TW whose RC team record stinks at 9-16-1 lol. 
The US gets destroyed 17 1/2 to 10 1/2.

Spieth and JT do great but Spieth gets destroyed on Sunday 5&4 against Thornbjorn Olesen (the guy who allegedly peed in the aisle of an airplane)

Reed wins to bring his 

Overall RC record to 7-3-2 and 3-0 in singles. 

Just a little context for those throwing around cherry 🍒 picked numbers in some odd attempt to discount PRs outstanding RC record and legendary Giant Slayer play on Sunday singles ; )

Ian Poulter has been an RC captains pick 5 times. Why? Because of what he’s done 5, 7, 9, 11 years ago. 

So, PR being left off the team is either

1. Stupid 

2. A popularity contest decision 

Apologist rant over ; )

• Like 1

OK, fair points.

But how do you know that the new guys dont care about the team winning? How do you know the new guys wont get along? How do you know they wont be just as RAH RAH MERICA as Reed is. We dont. You dont. No one does. Its time to find out though.

Reed isnt healthy enough to be on this team, period. You cant put someone on a team who isnt healthy who the best you could argue would be good in singles. Just...thats it for me.

And if you want "team guys" - that doesnt just mean guys who want to win for America, or whatever BS you want to define that as. You also need guys who arent a'holes and will get along with each other in the locker room. To me, THATS one of the big reasons the Euros continue to whip on us. By all accounts Reed and "his team" rub guys the wrong way. And no I dont care that one of you once saw Reed and JT laughing together at the range five years ago lol. Between his cheating BS and the rest of the nonsense, he doesnt seem like a guy I'd want in the locker room right now.

BTW if there are any golf gamblers out there, its ludicrous to me that the Euro team are +200 underdogs. Ludicrous.

Edited by dcmidnight
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

OK, fair points.

But how do you know that the new guys dont care about the team winning? How do you know the new guys wont get along? How do you know they wont be just as RAH RAH MERICA as Reed is. We dont. You dont. No one does. Its time to find out though.

Reed isnt healthy enough to be on this team, period. You cant put someone on a team who isnt healthy who the best you could argue would be good in singles. Just...thats it for me.

And if you want "team guys" - that doesnt just mean guys who want to win for America, or whatever BS you want to define that as. You also need guys who arent a'holes and will get along with each other in the locker room. To me, THATS one of the big reasons the Euros continue to whip on us. By all accounts Reed and "his team" rub guys the wrong way. And no I dont care that one of you once saw Reed and JT laughing together at the range five years ago lol. Between his cheating BS and the rest of the nonsense, he doesnt seem like a guy I'd want in the locker room right now.

BTW if there are any golf gamblers out there, its ludicrous to me that the Euro team are +200 underdogs. Ludicrous.

Visual displays of shouting "Lets Go" or "Come On" seems to resonate a lot with people in the definition of "caring", "nationalism".   If that isn't you swag, stay home because you don't care. 

Edited by bubbagump

G400 LST | SLDR MINI |PXG 0317x  

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

Fourteen RM Tour | TM Hi-Toe

Toulon Atlanta
WITB

19 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

While that is absolutely true and a valid reason to not pick him.  We all know that he wasn’t picked for other reasons.  The popularity contest reasons. If he’s healthy , they don’t pick him.  And I think then it’s a mistake.  

our greater point is to point out and hopefully change the US teams ways so that we win once in a while.  The picks should be with an aim to win.  NA should be on the team.  And I believe Kisner should be as well.  Reed if he was healthy. We need grinders who can  putt.  Guys who care about the TEAM winning.  

we can call it nationalism , or whatever.  But it’s needed to win.  The attitude expressed recently by some guy who made it on points , plus the display he started in France , is the absolute clear example of why we continue to lose.  We’re just tired of that mess.  Reed or no Reed.  The idea of length as The only pick criteria is just crap.  We need intestinal fortitude, and a hot putter a lot of the times.  

I don’t think you can conclude it's a "popularity contest," it's a hypothesis that would be tough to prove. 

Anyway why do you say Kis and Na? I believe both guys are really well liked by their peers and yet they weren't picked. So the Captains must know something else we don't? Or perhaps they're using some different metric to select someone whom they believe is stronger? 

• Like 1

OK, fair points.

Very true. I’ll come here first and point out any rookie pick who shows the guts , and rolls the rock.  And say I was wrong.  

I think of it this way.  Reed. He’s statistically a guaranteed point.  Right ?  We all love to spout stats.  He’s statistically going to give you a point in singles.  He’s unbeaten.  If we chose a team full of guys who could guarantee a point , we’d never lose.  

so to leave him off ( if healthy ) is a huge gamble of 1 full point.   I’d ride him until he provided no points. Then all bets are off.  As long as he brought me his point , he’s a pick.  

I agree on most of those points.  We aren’t far off.  The betting odds especially.  I wouldn’t bet on the us team for even odds.  I just feel it.  Rahm is too hot.  Poulter will bring a point. Or two And so will Sergio.  If something fires up Rory they’ll come out leading after day 1 and that’s it.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Very true. I’ll come here first and point out any rookie pick who shows the guts , and rolls the rock.  And say I was wrong.  

I think of it this way.  Reed. He’s statistically a guaranteed point.  Right ?  We all love to spout stats.  He’s statistically going to give you a point in singles.  He’s unbeaten.  If we chose a team full of guys who could guarantee a point , we’d never lose.  

so to leave him off ( if healthy ) is a huge gamble of 1 full point.   I’d ride him until he provided no points. Then all bets are off.  As long as he brought me his point , he’s a pick.  

I agree on most of those points.  We aren’t far off.  The betting odds especially.  I wouldn’t bet on the us team for even odds.  I just feel it.  Rahm is too hot.  Poulter will bring a point. Or two And so will Sergio.  If something fires up Rory they’ll come out leading after day 1 and that’s it.  

That's kinda janky logic there.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Toulon Atlanta
WITB

17 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

7 years ago, PR was ranked #27. 

Goes 3-1-0 in the RC and takes out Stenson who is ranked #5 in the world

5 years ago he goes 4-0-1 in the RC and takes out Rory who is ranked #3 in the world 

2018 PR gets paired with TW whose RC team record stinks at 9-16-1 lol. 
The US gets destroyed 17 1/2 to 10 1/2.

Spieth and JT do great but Spieth gets destroyed on Sunday 5&4 against Thornbjorn Olesen (the guy who allegedly peed in the aisle of an airplane)

Reed wins to bring his 

Overall RC record to 7-3-2 and 3-0 in singles. 

Just a little context for those throwing around cherry 🍒 picked numbers in some odd attempt to discount PRs outstanding RC record and legendary Giant Slayer play on Sunday singles ; )

Ian Poulter has been an RC captains pick 5 times. Why? Because of what he’s done 5, 7, 9, 11 years ago. 

So, PR being left off the team is either

1. Stupid 

2. A popularity contest decision 

Apologist rant over ; )

Or because he’s not a TEAM player. And it’s tigers fault he stunk? Lol

Again, throwing your TEAM under the bus publicly after you lose is not the way to get back onto the TEAM. 

1 minute ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

I don’t think you can conclude it's a "popularity contest," it's a hypothesis that would be tough to prove. 

Anyway why do you say Kis and Na? I believe both guys are really well liked by their peers and yet they weren't picked. So the Captains must know something else we don't? Or perhaps they're using some different metric to select someone whom they believe is stronger? 

The metric is this. Speith in.   Scotty = spieth buddy = in.   I don’t dislike Scotty.  But him being in and Reed never being picked again rides right here.  

Tony was only person who showed spark in France +distance =in.  He earned his pick last cup.  I have no issue with that.  

xander = gold medal. =in.  I’m cool with that pick. 

Berger and English are the two that I would leave off in favor of Na at least and as a gamble kisner.  Na isn’t a gamble.  You can read his emotion and passion.  The guys a big dog in a little body.  

Berger to me is the obvious mistake.  (I’ll say I’m wrong if he proves it ). English is so so.  I know he’s played well. But. He doesn’t putt lights out.  So if he hits it bad.  He plays really bad.  Kind of like Spieth if he doesn’t putt.  He leans on one side to prop up the other.  And if the prop fails. He’s a guaranteed sit on the Bench guy.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bubbagump said:

That's kinda janky logic there.  

Why is it janky when I cite stats , and if I argue for forgetting stats it’s “ statistical facts vs feels. “ ? 

he is unbeaten in singles.  Yes ?  So ? 

Just now, stingerfade said:

Or because he’s not a TEAM player. And it’s tigers fault he stunk? Lol

Again, throwing your TEAM under the bus publicly after you lose is not the way to get back onto the TEAM. 

SF! 

Im just presenting some facts.

TWs RC record stinks 

PRs RC record is excellent 

Ian Poulter has been a captains pick 5 times because he has an excellent RC record

So, yes, it’s a popularity contest decision or a stupid one to leave him off the team ; )

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bladehunter said:

Why is it janky when I cite stats , and if I argue for forgetting stats it’s “ statistical facts vs feels. “ ? 

Lol, you make the same argument as the “Reed can’t win without Spieth” logic and is like…

No no, that only applies for anti-Reed ; )

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

So how is this a guaranteed point? Because he's undefeated in RC singles is no guarantee he wins THIS year. So you cant say "youre leaving off a guaranteed point".

And can we STOP with the "if hes healthy"...hes NOT healthy. He's not. Just stop.

So this "if he's healthy hes a guaranteed point" argument has TWO massive faults to me.

Edited by dcmidnight
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Reed is unbeaten in singles, we all know this, 3-0.  But to misconstrue that and deal with it in certainties going forward as you did, is janky and desperate to force the narrative. 

Edited by bubbagump
  • Like 2

Toulon Atlanta
WITB

BTW if Reed really loved the RC as much as he and his team claimed - he could have approached this a lot differently.

Instead he whined about it and his team dumped all over social media about Stricker.

Or "his team" did...sure, sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, dcmidnight said:

So how is this a guaranteed point? Because he's undefeated in RC singles is no guarantee he wins THIS year. So you cant say "youre

And can we STOP with the "if hes healthy"...hes NOT healthy. He's not. Just stop.

So this "if he's healthy hes a guaranteed point" argument has TWO massive faults to me.

Dude. Didn’t I agree with you that he isn’t healthy ?  Come on.  We all get too worked up over this.  I have a shadow follower dedicated to dismissing my opinion , that’s how much we all get too worked up over this. Lol but I digress.  

I have come to agree that he probably isn’t Healthy enough.  So we can stop arguing that point.   But I’m all ears on the two massive points for him going forward.   We use past actions as predictors all the time.  Why not here ? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bubbagump said:

Reed is unbeaten in singles, we all know this, 3-0.  But to misconstrue that and deal with it in certainties going forward as you did, is janky and desperate to force the narrative. 

Exactly.

Does the fact that he's 3-0 in singles mean he will win forever in singles and never lose? No. Then its not a guarantee.

So how is this a guaranteed point? Because he's undefeated in RC singles is no guarantee he wins THIS year. So you cant say "youre leaving off a guaranteed point".

🤣

Its the same convoluted logic as people saying PR is certain to lose without Spieth. 

(Sorry to throw you under the bus there blade 😬)

🤣

Blade! You my friend!! ; )

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bladehunter said:

have come to agree that he probably isn’t Healthy enough.  So we can stop arguing that point.   But I’m all ears on the two massive points for him going forward.   We use past actions as predictors all the time.  Why not here ? 

I'll say this. With the way that Reed and "his team" handled themselves here - Reed better automatically qualify for any team event he wants to play on going forward. BC he's not getting picked if there are other options out there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Lol, you make the same argument as the “Reed can’t win without Spieth” logic and is like…

This, is basically the same thing on the opposite side.  

• Like 1

Toulon Atlanta
WITB

10 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

I know it.  That’s what keeps bringing me back in.  The glaring double standards.  🤦‍♂️ On all sides. 

guys.  I’m just not in the mood really.  As usually I’m sorry I posted.  Funny thing is I know for a fact that dc- Bubba- basic and myself could have beers and food and watch the cup and not leave enemies.    We’re all just hard headed. But good eggs.  So I’m going to go do something where I won’t make enemies out of good dudes.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Dude. Didn’t I agree with you that he isn’t healthy ?  Come on.  We all get too worked up over this.  I have a shadow follower dedicated to dismissing my opinion , that’s how much we all get too worked up over this. Lol but I digress.  

I have come to agree that he probably isn’t Healthy enough.  So we can stop arguing that point.   But I’m all ears on the two massive points for him going forward.   We use past actions as predictors all the time.  Why not here ? 

I'd look more at your outspoken nature on the topic, and quantity of posts and what your point is in regards to your opinion.  The Stephen A Smith style opinions, tend to grab more responses than more mundane ones. 

There really is no worked up, its just the most relevant and interesting golf talk for a while.  Good banter is all it really is.  

Edited by bubbagump
  • Thanks 1

Toulon Atlanta
WITB