2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

P Reed not happy about Ryder Cup snub

DrivingChamp

1 minute ago, bubbagump said:

I'd look more at your outspoken nature on the topic, and quantity of posts and what your point is in regards to your opinion.  The Stephen A Smith style opinions, tend to grab more responses than more mundane ones. 

Blade and SASmith on TV together! 

Now that would be dope!

1 minute ago, bscinstnct said:

Uh, exactly bubba, that was my point ; )

Yah, was agreeing with you.   They are both equally as unrelated to the future matches results, its just toss away comments with really little validity. 

• Like 1

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

10 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Dude. Didn’t I agree with you that he isn’t healthy ?  Come on.  We all get too worked up over this.  I have a shadow follower dedicated to dismissing my opinion , that’s how much we all get too worked up over this. Lol but I digress.  

I have come to agree that he probably isn’t Healthy enough.  So we can stop arguing that point.   But I’m all ears on the two massive points for him going forward.   We use past actions as predictors all the time.  Why not here ? 

This healthy thing is BS too

Says who exactly?

Dr. Stricker? Boom Boom MD?

If they were serious then have PR provide a docs assessment. Or tell him you want him to see one you choose. He would do it.

Hes a grown man. A top tour pro for years, he knows if he can play. Plus. We see time and time again guys who are injured/ill play legendary games

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bscinstnct said:

SF! 

Im just presenting some facts.

TWs RC record stinks 

PRs RC record is excellent 

Ian Poulter has been a captains pick 5 times because he has an excellent RC record

So, yes, it’s a popularity contest decision or a stupid one to leave him off the team ; )

Or a health/chemistry decision 🙂

4 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

LOL the "health issue" is totally separate than whether or not he was worthy of being picked? So just pick the most qualified and let the clubhouse sort it out.

HAHAHA.

OK fine, I want Tiger picked then.

Totally separate as a discussion….yes.   And sure, if Tiger was fully healthy he would be on the team…….

Unless of course his qualifications were too long ago.😇

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

20 hours ago, bladehunter said:

The metric is this. Speith in.   Scotty = spieth buddy = in.   I don’t dislike Scotty.  But him being in and Reed never being picked again rides right here.  

Tony was only person who showed spark in France +distance =in.  He earned his pick last cup.  I have no issue with that.  

xander = gold medal. =in.  I’m cool with that pick. 

Berger and English are the two that I would leave off in favor of Na at least and as a gamble kisner.  Na isn’t a gamble.  You can read his emotion and passion.  The guys a big dog in a little body.  

Berger to me is the obvious mistake.  (I’ll say I’m wrong if he proves it ). English is so so.  I know he’s played well. But. He doesn’t putt lights out.  So if he hits it bad.  He plays really bad.  Kind of like Spieth if he doesn’t putt.  He leans on one side to prop up the other.  And if the prop fails. He’s a guaranteed sit on the Bench guy.  

I don't know if Spieth and Scheff are buddies, so I'll take your word for it.  Anyway, team dynamics do matter in a team sport.

But when it comes to hard data, Scheff has done better than Reed in 2021. Scheff had more top 10's than Reed, fewer missed cuts, better birdie to bogey ratio and I believe finished ahead of Reed in almost every tournament they both played and Scheff finished better in every major this year except The Masters.

As for Na and Kisner, I'm not sure Berger and English are more popular with their peers.  So I'm not convinced it's a popularity contest, but rather some data and other factors that the Captains believe they used to make the decision.  Those factors are likely something NO One here on WRX knows. 

Edited by BlackDiamondPar5
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

I don't know if Spieth and Scheff are buddies, so I'll take your word for it.  Anyway, team dynamics do matter in a team sport.

But when it comes to hard data, Scheff has done better than Reed in 2021. Scheff had more top 10's than Reed, fewer missed cuts, better birdie to bogey ratio and I believe finished ahead of Reed in almost every tournament they both played and Scheff finished better in every major this year except The Masters.

As for Na and Kisner, I'm not sure Berger and English are more popular with their peers.  So I'm not convinced it's a popularity contest, but rather some data and other factors that the Captains believe they used to make the decision.  Those factors are likely something NO One here on WRX knows. 

Scotty and Jordan were college teammates. Maybe even roommates. 

I just don’t take Steve stricker for the data type guy.  I mean how many savages do you know who use analytics?.   

he’s more of the “ ok guys who do you want  on the team “?  type guy.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Haha 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Stricker (or his team) seemed to roll out a bunch of stats at his announcement, so I wouldn't be too sure about that.

They also pointed out that Scheffler beat Rahm, Poulter and Day at the Dell match play this year.

edit - https://www.golfchannel.com/news/no-curveballs-steve-stricker-sticks-game-plan-ryder-cup-captains-picks

Edited by dcmidnight
  • Like 3

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

2 hours ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Team dynamic are an interesting subject.  Anger can be a great motivator for instance the miracle on ice hockey team were all mad at the coach or the early 70's A's teams won three World Series while fighting each other anywhere they could and pretty much all despising the owner and I think that nobody really like the manager much.  There are also many examples of winning teams with great comradery who all seemed to love each other.  Winning tend to breed that 'love' though.  I bet that if the US teams had played lights out and the Euros had lost the Ryder cups that they won then their team chemistry just might not have been so good!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

Stricker (or his team) seemed to roll out a bunch of stats at his announcement, so I wouldn't be too sure about that.

They also pointed out that Scheffler beat Rahm, Poulter and Day at the Dell match play this year.

edit - https://www.golfchannel.com/news/no-curveballs-steve-stricker-sticks-game-plan-ryder-cup-captains-picks

Sounds good.  I’m kind of done hashing this out.  Let’s just wait and watch and see how many points the rookies get.  It’s close enough now that wait and see won’t be too painful.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

4 hours ago, bladehunter said:

I just don’t take Steve stricker for the data type guy.  I mean how many savages do you know who use analytics?.   

Oh I don't think that's true at all.  

I'm sure some guys had some opinions on who to pick, and no doubt some of them told him to stay away from Reed, but they would have lived with it had Stricker decided to take him.  I think Steve is 100% honest when he said that Reed was not picked due to health concerns and the lack of recent good form.  Its two legitimate concerns in a team format where you need to be expected to play all 3 days.  Perhaps if Reed hadn't acted like an a** in Paris, you could have looked past his recent issues and had him on the team, even in a limited role where you asked him to only play his singles match and maybe a four-ball match in order to preserve his health....but his antics in the last Ryder Cup were probably just the icing on the cake as the reason not to pick him.

The narrative that Steve is some sort of pushover or a guy who will just go with the flow and let the inmates run the asylum is just false.  This Ryder Cup being in Wisconsin is a big deal for him, and will probably cement his legacy one way or othe other considering he never won a major on the big tour.  

Edited by JaNelson38
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

Good stuff dc. The match play is impressive for Scheff of the future.

I hope this works out really. Should be very entertaining given the cast of characters. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Scotty and Jordan were college teammates. Maybe even roommates. 

Just an FYI, Spieth turned pro in 2012, Sheff wasnt at Texas until 2 years later...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tpfol said:

Just an FYI, Spieth turned pro in 2012, Sheff wasnt at Texas until 2 years later...

I stand corrected.  I’m sure they are mortal enemies.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Haha 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, JaNelson38 said:

Oh I don't think that's true at all.  

I'm sure some guys had some opinions on who to pick, and no doubt some of them told him to stay away from Reed, but they would have lived with it had Stricker decided to take him.  I think Steve is 100% honest when he said that Reed was not picked due to health concerns and the lack of recent good form.  Its two legitimate concerns in a team format where you need to be expected to play all 3 days.  Perhaps if Reed hadn't acted like an a** in Paris, you could have looked past his recent issues and had him on the team, even in a limited role where you asked him to only play his singles match and maybe a four-ball match in order to preserve his health....but his antics in the last Ryder Cup were probably just the icing on the cake as the reason not to pick him.

The narrative that Steve is some sort of pushover or a guy who will just go with the flow and let the inmates run the asylum is just false.  This Ryder Cup being in Wisconsin is a big deal for him, and will probably cement his legacy one way or othe other considering he never won a major on the big tour.  

Second thought.  I said I didn’t want to be in this discussion so I won’t be . We will see soon enough how these picks work out.  

Edited by bladehunter

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Every running of the RC, the US should leave a pick for Anthony Kim, have us all hoping he shows like Santa.  Comes through in his 2008 RC outfit on the first tee still hammered from the night before and ready to stack bodies.  

Edited by bubbagump
  • Like 1

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

Patrick who?  🙂

• Like 3

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

2 minutes ago, MUNIGRIT said:

People act like Strick just made selections by himself. They were a combined effort by players on the team and Tiger. Leaving Reed off was the right move. 

All the PR fanboys have gone conspicuously silent.  🙂

• Like 2

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

17 minutes ago, ShowMe said:

nailed.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

2 hours ago, ShowMe said:

Well yeah, the TEAM is doing well.  Berger 1-1 and Scheffler 0-0-1 so far. Maybe they could be up more. 

1. If they both do poorly rest of today and tomorrow but the teams wins does that necessarily validate skipping Reed?  I still think he should have been picked if healthy which is what I said all along.  He likely is/was not.
  • Like 1

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

2 hours ago, ShowMe said:

He would have gotten a full point with Bryson yesterday. Spieth shouldve given up his spot for a guy that can putt

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

NLU 18* DI Ventus Black 10X
Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Vokey SM8 M 50*/Vokey SM4 S 56*/Vokey SM8 T 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35” 
Tour BX S

3 hours ago, ShowMe said:

Surely you don’t think Reed or Na or even Freddie couples would have trouble scoring on this euro team ?  I hope the let Phil play tomorrow.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Hahahahaha. So Reed has been the problem for the last 20 years?😇

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1