P Reed not happy about Ryder Cup snub

DrivingChamp

11 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

The 20-20 hindsight in this thread...lol. I guess now that I think about it the Reed apologists were going to win either way.

If they lost, it would be all about how Reed should have been on the team.

But they killed them, so instead of being about how Reed's absence didnt matter - its all about how bad the Euro team was.

I look forward to checking in on this thread two years from now when we're talking about what a great putt Reed made against Rory...seven years ago and how he absolutely has to be a captains pick.

DC! 

Me and blade said SS was proven out a great pick. 

And, as it relates to the blow out, PRs absence and the complete mismatch in quality of players, are not mutually exclusive. 

And yes, let’s look forward to Rome and a healthy PR and lively rejuvenation of this excellent thread! 

5C1F031C-2C7C-4502-A5D9-9B00252EBF0D.jpeg

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Doesn't work for the Ryder Cup.

They will find a way if they are desperate enough.  Have him join the European tour.  He could qualify on points there.  The Brits play under an EU banner and they left the EU.  In 2002 the US RC rules were changed to allow foreign born players who because US citizens by age 18 to play on the US team.

Edited by Naptime

28 minutes ago, MUNIGRIT said:

I think the only way Reed makes the team anymore is to qualify for an automatic spot. He isn't liked and no reason to put him on the team. His wife is a liability for him too for a Captain pick.

Thats pathetic. 

Sure, this was a blowout.

But who knows how things look in two years.

You, we’re you captain, actually would keep PR off the team if he was ranked next in owgr after the qualifiers and had a couple of wins? What if he win a major? Lol

He just insnt liked? 

BD and BK had a public Twitter spat and one encouraged fans to harass the other during tournaments! And they played on the same team and killed. 

The Euros all love each other and got destroyed. 

Think about what you’re saying here ; )

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bscinstnct said:

Thats pathetic. 

You, we’re you captain, actually would keep PR off the team if he was ranked next in owgr after the qualifiers and had a couple of wins? What if he win a major? Lol

He just insnt liked? 

BD and BK had a public Twitter spat and one encouraged fans to harass the other during tournaments! And they played on the same team and killed. 

Yes, PReed is a certified cheater. He annoyed most of his college teammates. I also don't think he belong if he isn't automatically qualified. 

4 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Thats pathetic. 

He just insnt liked? 

Absolutely.  P Reed would be no where near my Ryder Cup team if he didn't qualify.

• Like 1

All Ping

7 minutes ago, Gawbage_man said:

Absolutely.  P Reed would be no where near my Ryder Cup team if he didn't qualify.

Lol, ok, ok!

Jeez, didn’t know it was possible to hate a guy who plays golf so much ; )

What if he qualified?

How would you be a true coach, overlook your obvious bias, and welcome him to the team and keep him engaged? 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Thats pathetic. 

He just insnt liked? 

Lets take names out of it.  Heck it doesn't even need to be golf.   But if there was someone that was so toxic that as the leader you knew their presence would adversely impact the performance of your team, would you not avoid hiring them? 

We don't know if Reed is really that bad, but if he is, then he should NOT be on the team.  Especially when there are other strong candidates for the job.  

10 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Lets take names out of it.  Heck it doesn't even need to be golf.   But if there was someone that was so toxic that as the leader you knew their presence would adversely impact the performance of your team, would you not avoid hiring them? 

We don't know if Reed is really that bad, but if he is, then he should NOT be on the team.  Especially when there are other strong candidates for the job.  

Based on everything we've heard this week from Stricker and players alike, the players themselves had a large role in the development of this team and who did or didn't make it and who played with who.

The fact that Patrick Reed wasn't selected should make Reed angry...but not because of performance.  Its because it appears pretty much everyone in that room hates his guts to the point where one of the few Americans in the past decade with a winning RC record was passed over.  He needs a good attitude adjustment.  And unless he improves his performance to the point where he makes these teams on points, he's never going to be selected for these team events again.

Edited by JaNelson38

2 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

The 20-20 hindsight in this thread...lol. I guess now that I think about it the Reed apologists were going to win either way.

If they lost, it would be all about how Reed should have been on the team.

But they killed them, so instead of being about how Reed's absence didnt matter - its all about how bad the Euro team was.

I look forward to checking in on this thread two years from now when we're talking about what a great putt Reed made against Rory...seven years ago and how he absolutely has to be a captains pick.

So in short. If You don’t hate read. You ain’t right ?  

come on man !  

• Haha 2

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, bscinstnct said:

Thats pathetic. 

He just insnt liked? 

He isn't liked plain and simple. That comes into play and it has been every level he has been disliked. From his antics in Paris, sand castle building, comments on Spieth to his wife's blasting other players on social media. As far as Bryson and Brooks I'm pretty sure they were not Captains picks for one and many players have said they think it is made up for the social media bonus. If you aren't in the good graces of the Speith and Thomas group leaders who pretty much picked the selections this year, its hard to get picked. 

12 minutes ago, MUNIGRIT said:

He isn't liked plain and simple. That comes into play and it has been every level he has been disliked. From his antics in Paris, sand castle building, comments on Spieth to his wife's blasting other players on social media. As far as Bryson and Brooks I'm pretty sure they were not Captains picks for one and many players have said they think it is made up for the social media bonus. If you aren't in the good graces of the Speith and Thomas group leaders who pretty much picked the selections this year, its hard to get picked. 

Right.  ^. Which is what basic has been saying and getting told he’s crazy  for.  Citing the popularity contest.  now we agree ! And that’s a great thing. 

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

19 hours ago, bladehunter said:

I asked in the other thread.  What was the strategy ?   I’d need to see or hear the battle plan laid out.   Gathering a lopsided team and saying “ go forth and multiply “ doesn’t really make stricker a genius.  Same as losing with a stacked team didn’t make Watson a bad captain.  It’s not really much about the captain.  In my opinion.  

it was so one sided that the captains picks were irrelevant.   Phil tiger and Freddie could have played , and won. 

edit.  To be clear. I’m not saying he did a bad job either.  If someone did I’d defend him.  I just think we’re fawning  over him because of where he’s from.  If the captain is Kenny Perry for instance , Same result. He probably still gets roasted , or at least discounted as “ lucky “.  Or dumb luck. Etc.  

his 2 captaincies have produced the record in points both times. Not sure why you need to see his strategy or road map. It’s the result that matters. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Right.  ^. Which is what basic has been saying and getting told he’s crazy  for.  Citing the popularity contest.  now we agree ! And that’s a great thing. 

It isn't a popularity contest, it is a compatibility contest.  You have to be playing well at the time, but also have to be able to be a team player to get picked.  Reed was doing neither at the time.

Edited by Gawbage_man
  • Like 1

All Ping

14 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

I don’t understand. 

These are grown men and professionals.

If PR is on the team, he’s one of you.

He didn’t kill your dog.

Who cares if you don’t “like” him?

You tellin me that PR and Bryson and BK and Jordy can’t eat dinner and have a beer together ? Without being catty like, “ohmagod, I don’t like him”!

🤣

Thats insane. 

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, stingerfade said:

his 2 captaincies have produced the record in points both times. Not sure why you need to see his strategy or road map. It’s the result that matters. 

Fine with me if they make him captain in perpetuity.  

that’s how little I think it makes a difference.  

the more I think on it and listen to the players. Then more I know that The players made the picks.  And that can be cool in the Short run. But what happens in situation like that is that they all consider themselves “ automatic picks “ which becomes an issue to captains going forward.  I guess what I’m saying is.  The captain either matters or he don’t.  I don’t think he matters if he lets the players make the choices.  We could easily do away with picks and go straight qualifying spots.  Then let them vote on pairings after the team is made.  No captain needed. 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

On 9/9/2021 at 3:24 PM, miamistomp said:

I think the worst pick was Stricker as Captain

Never seemed all that inspiring 

Seems as if the PGA of America knows a bit more in how to select a Captain than many of the golf experts here on GolfWRX. 😂

• Haha 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

1 minute ago, bladehunter said:

Fine with me if they make him captain in perpetuity.  

that’s how little I think it makes a difference.  

the more I think on it and listen to the players. Then more I know that The players made the picks.  And that can be cool in the Short run. But what happens in situation like that is that they all consider themselves “ automatic picks “ which becomes an issue to captains going forward.  I guess what I’m saying is.  The captain either matters or he don’t.  I don’t think he matters if he lets the players make the choices.  We could easily do away with picks and go straight qualifying spots.  Then let them vote on pairings after the team is made.  No captain needed. 

Damn millennials. Haha 😜😜

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Gawbage_man said:

It isn't a popularity contest, it is a compatibility contest.  You have to be playing well at the time, but also have to be able to be a team player to get picked.  Reed was doing neither at the time.

Right.  I have several times agreed after my initial shock that he wasn’t picked , that his health was a good reason to leave him off.  No argument there.  But he will regain health.

this team player stuff is dual sided.   Spieth is the one who refused to play with the guy who he had won sooo many paired matches with.  I love Jordan. But.  You can’t call out Reed for what jordan did to the team.  Put your snags aside and ride the hot pairing until it doesn’t win.   

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

6 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

I don’t understand. 

These are grown men and professionals.

If PR is on the team, he’s one of you.

He didn’t kill your dog.

Who cares if you don’t “like” him?

You tellin me that PR and Bryson and BK and Jordy can’t eat dinner and have a beer together ? Without being catty like, “ohmagod, I don’t like him”!

🤣

Thats insane. 

Exactly.  I don’t get it either.  I have real issues in my life.  And I have to be in the same room with some of those people without murdering them. And so far so good 😊 …..and I’m talking folks who have caused me huge attorneys bills and one pair of blood relatives who robbed me while I was on vacation.  With this little tidbit attached. I paid them to watch the business while I was gone.  And yet I have had to not strangle those two.  This whole issue is nothing. Non issue. I’ve had worse fights before dinner snd ate beside the person I was punching a minute ago.  Maybe that’s why I can’t relate. 

• Like 2

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Stricker seemed pretty clear in his presser last night - the captains picks were not made simply because they were great players but that they were great guys and they got along with everyone in the team room.

If Stricker wanted Reed on the team - he would have been on the team.

If a majority of players - or even a few - had told Stricker that Reed should be on the team, he probably would have been on the team.

Neither of those seem like they were true.

Its reasonable to think that the next captain was in that room, right, so either Couples or ZJ? So - again I'll reiterate - if Reed wants on the team he better plan on being in that Top 6.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

7 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

this team player stuff is dual sided.   Spieth is the one who refused to play with the guy who he had won sooo many paired matches with.  I love Jordan. But.  You can’t call out Reed for what jordan did to the team.  Put your snags aside and ride the hot pairing until it doesn’t win.   

I would need to hear Spieth's reasoning for the break up.  

All Ping

6 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Exactly.  I don’t get it either.  I have real issues in my life.  And I have to be in the same room with some of those people without murdering them. And so far so good 😊 …..and I’m talking folks who have caused me huge attorneys bills and one pair of blood relatives who robbed me while I was on vacation.  With this little tidbit attached. I paid them to watch the business while I was gone.  And yet I have had to not strangle those two.  This whole issue is nothing. Non issue. I’ve had worse fights before dinner snd ate beside the person I was punching a minute ago.  Maybe that’s why I can’t relate. 

The worst thing about this social media age is 

People actually think they know people they have never met, based on gossip.

But, unfortunately, that picture is very one sided:

“Shortly after the 2018 Ryder Cup, when the U.S. lost to Europe in Paris and Reed was less-than-gracious in defeat, Cherney went on Reed’s website and wrote him to tell him he was raising money for a cancer-research charity that was dear to him and that he thought might be meaningful to Reed. That was it.

The dentist had no special path to Reed.

He was just some rando writing in.

“Within a day or two, I heard back from Patrick, saying he’d be sending a check for $10,000,” Cherney told me. “He also sent me a signed Masters flag, which we auctioned off for charity. I wound up buying it, for $1,000. Patrick and his wife Justine had had a close friend who had died of cancer. He couldn’t have been kinder, more generous or more prompt.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/golf.com/news/patrick-reed-story-you-probably-havent-heard/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Happens in all walks of life and other sports. Once the talent is out weight by the side shows yoy might not make the team. You can calm it a popularity contest but his attitude isn't worth his skills even as great of a golfer as he is at times. 

Tip of the cap to Stricker for putting it all together.  That's what the Captain does and he did an excellent job.  But let's be honest, that euro team was just too old, too short off of the tee and just couldn't putt as a team.  I think we'll be seeing the dawn of a new era of youth for both teams come 2022.