Fan strategy for Whistling Strait

goherd

I just bought ground passes for Ryder Cup for Saturday and Sunday. For those of you who have been to a Ryder Cup event and is familiar with Whistling Strait, what would be a good location (hole location)  to watch these two days? I would imagine that watching individual play on Sunday would be a different experience than four ball or foursomes on Saturday. I’ve never been on Whistling Strait, so I’m not familiar with the course. I like to find a spot and let the players play through me rather than following players hole to hole and usually ending up rows behind a mass of humanity. 

What’s a good location to place my chair on the ropes (I’ll get there early), but still have the ability to see other holes? I appreciate any advice. Hole 18 doesn’t seem like a great location because I’m sure many golfers will be closed out and not make it to 18. Again…appreciate any advice.

Whistling straights isn't the easiest place to walk around, big place and very hilly. Would also say that if you put your chair down somewhere, you're only going to get one good spot that day.

If you go somewhere on the front 9, once like 70% of the groups go through everyone migrates to places on the back, except a lot of the good spots will be already taken. So you might get a good seat on the front except have to stand in a group of people on the back.

If you go to somewhere like 17 or 18 you'll be sitting around a long time waiting if you really want a prime seat. The 18th at Whistling straights is pretty close to another hole, i think maybe the 9th if i recall, so maybe you could see some action there from afar.

These types of events are tough to have cake and eat it too. if you want a prime spot on 18 you'll probably have to get there early and wait a long time . If you want to see a lot of action during the day--you will not get a good spot on 18

Callaway Mavrik 9 w/Aldila Rogue White 60 MSI130

Callaway Mavrik SZ 13 w/Aldila Rogue White 70 MSI130

Titleist TS3 hyb 20 w/PX Hzrdus Smoke Black 80

PXG 0211 ST 4-GW w/ TT Elevate Tour

PXG 0311 Forged 54 and 60 w/TT Elevate Tour

Putter [redacted]

10 hours ago, goherd said:

I just bought ground passes for Ryder Cup for Saturday and Sunday. For those of you who have been to a Ryder Cup event and is familiar with Whistling Strait, what would be a good location (hole location)  to watch these two days? I would imagine that watching individual play on Sunday would be a different experience than four ball or foursomes on Saturday. I’ve never been on Whistling Strait, so I’m not familiar with the course. I like to find a spot and let the players play through me rather than following players hole to hole and usually ending up rows behind a mass of humanity. 

What’s a good location to place my chair on the ropes (I’ll get there early), but still have the ability to see other holes? I appreciate any advice. Hole 18 doesn’t seem like a great location because I’m sure many golfers will be closed out and not make it to 18. Again…appreciate any advice.

Great first post and welcome to Wrx 🍻

TaylorMade JDM SLDR TP 430 10*           Diamana X17 60X

TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15*                           Diamana X17 70X

Bridgestone J33 AirMuscle 18*                 Velyx Rome Wildeye 988X
MIURA TC-201   4-6                                  MCI MMT-105TX

MIURA MB-101  7-P                                   MCI MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Prototype  52, 57, 60                MCI MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 1.5 34/350 Beached Prototype (A010656)

18 at Ryder cup is not a great place,  a lot of matches never make it 18.  Ryder Cup isn't the best experience from watching golf,  great tho to be part of that energy.    

Taylormade Sim 2 8* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x

Taylormade M3 3 Wood Accra FX 300

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 21* Aldila RIP Phenom

Taylormade P770  4-PW Rifle 6.0

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy

2 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

I would say bring a portable TV and generator with you and camp in a lawn chair under an umbrella near the beer stand.

Exactly right. Golf is made for TV. At least have a radio broadcast to know what’s going on. 

905S 9.5 Graffaloy Blue S
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

Ping G25 3 hybrid S300
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW S300
Ping Glide Stealth 52*/ Ping Tour S 56*/Ping Glide 3.0 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35”
Pro V1

Per past tournaments there , bring one of those short beach chairs and the kids sand castle molds and stake  out a place with the kids beside one of the greens or fairways in a “ sandy area “. You’ll know it by the resemblance it pays to the bunkers we are used to seeing on a course.  Now mind you. They’re  not the same.  So you’re good.  Just scoop after your dog or cat , and try to not get sand in your ….. shoes.  

Edited by bladehunter

TM Sim2 max 9* TB 70TX

TM 300 13.5* Tensei CK blue 80TX

TM Sim2 max 17hL MMT 70x 

Callaway  xforged UT 21 ventus blue 9x 

Titleist T100 4-pw MMT 125 TX 

Edel sms 54 58 MMT 125 TX 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

• 2 weeks later...

The grandstand around the first hole is fun just to see everyone tee off. 

On the front nine, the grandstand in back of #6 is great because you can see both #6 and #3 (par 3 on lake). If you are high in the corner on the lake side you might even be able to catch a glimpse of #2 green and #7 (but from a distance). If you just want to avoid the crowds, holes like #4 and #5 on the front, and #13 and #14 on the back, are on the ends of the property and less trafficked. 

Be sure to come very well fed and hydrated, and bring a bottle of water (plastic and sealed is the rule). I found concessions to be not very abundant or close to the action. Whistling Straits is also very hilly and the matted-down fescue grass gets slippery. Wear comfortable shoes -- lots of walking -- and something with some traction. 

Mizuno Stg Driver Rdx 6.5

TM 300 Mini Driver Rdx 6.0

Mizuno Stz 5 Fairway Rdx 6.0

Mizuno Pro 225 5i - Gw Px 6.0

Miura Milled 52 - 56 - 60 Px 6.0

Mizuno M-Craft VI Bgt Stability

Arrive early, like ridiculously early and make sure you are on the 1st tee. An experience not to be missed a chance to say you were there type of thing. 

From there, it is worth bearing in mind that the morning matches this year are foursomes. They move surprisingly quickly. Once the matches have teed off, head out to the course. You literally have no chance of seeing much of the first 6-7 holes so give up on them, for your purposes they don’t exist. 

Focus on finding somewhere further round the course with access to a TV screen. It is the only way that you are going to get to see much of anything.

In the afternoon, forget about the 1st tee. Find somewhere early to mid on the front 9 again with a screen and then once they have gone through there, head to a spot mid to the end of the back 9. 

Focus on the atmosphere and not actually getting to see golf - if you want to watch a lot of golf, don’t go to the Ryder Cup.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TS3 8.5*
Titleist 915Fd 15*
Titleist U510 1 Iron
Titleist T100 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08
Titlesist Vokey SM7 56.12 & 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2021

Generally Been to a dozenish tournaments on the European tour. And sitting at a place is pretty boring. If one do not have medical issues I strongly support the strategy of following a pairing. Or even better, kind of following several  by taking "smart routes" when walking around.

For this specific event, match play and probably hoards of people as well as the Course in questinon that might not be the best strategy, but I wanted to suggest this anyway. Just imagining going to Whistling Straits now(havent been across the big waters since 1983) I think I would follow one of the less star-studded pairings, probably not so many people but still the nerve because of the match-play format.
People followed match-play in hoards in the first half of the 1900´s so I suppose its a good enough format for on-site spectators now too.

Edited by Hankshank

If you setup between holes 3/4 there are some mounds you can get high enough on to see holes 3 and 4 and a bit of  a glance at 5 and 6 if you're lucky. Course is so spread out you really have to pick your battles and hope you're early enough. 

Side note, beer prices are absurd but I did get free lunch there yesterday because the lady ringing me up was having trouble with her tablet and just flat out gave up. 

• Thanks 1

At Hazeltine a good strategy was to get into a grandstand on a hole on the front nine or early in the back nine - you'll get to see everyone, may see some critical turning points, etc.  Maybe a drivable par 4 or a par 5 where you could see some dramatic long shots in, but also critical shots around the greens.

• Like 1

Countdown to The Masters has begun!

Whistling is really really not the best venue for spectators. I've been there 5 times (both PGA's in 2010 and 2015 as well as the practice round yesterday). The terrain and mounding and swarms of people make it exceptionally difficult for viewing. The fact that there are less players makes everything compressed, so you have to pick your spots.

With that said I had a great place on 15 right of the fairway where you could watch drives, approaches and then climb up the hill 20 feet and have a front row seat to watch tee shots on 16. Well they ruined that as they put in the 15th fairway village and a massive grandstand there. 

So yesterday this is what I did. We grabbed a spot on 2 to the right of the green. You can watch approaches into the Par 5. We watched all the Euros come through. Then we went to 7 tee and camped out for 45 minutes and from there you can watch the tee ball and can see the green. Great par 3 (225 into the wind with the Lake to the right).

After that we went to the back to watch USA but it was a mob scene and that's when I discovered that my beloved spot on 15 was gone forever. So we trekked back towards 10 and I found a nice little gem about 75 yards off the tee left on 11 where you have some mounds and can park a chair. From there you can see approaches into 10 and the tee ball on 11.

If you like practice, park your chair on the mounds in the direct center of the range on the hill. We did that for about an hour as well.

Edited by 5 O'Clock Charlie
  • Like 1

Adams 9064LS  - Driver
Adams 4060  - 3W

Maltby TS-1  - 3-PW

Maltby TSW Forged  - 50/56

On 9/22/2021 at 8:03 AM, Will29 said:

Side note, beer prices are absurd 

This is the truth. 1 Brat,  1 hotdog and 2 Pepsi's was $37
Michelob Ultras were $12 a pop

Edited by 5 O'Clock Charlie

Adams 9064LS  - Driver