Jump to content

Jack’s Majors Ranking


Holy Moses
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:


 

Need 4. Gotta have a Quad-drilateral yo ; )

 

Hey! Why they 5 there?!

 

 

 

 

8C59BAA9-7339-49A1-9B3D-C4C88002D55A.jpeg


i love OB Keeler…he was a master wordsmith

 

-chris

  • Like 2

Srixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, TiScape said:

 To think the Masters and other major golf tournaments were held all the up until 1989, at places that wouldn’t allow a person to be a member based solely on the color of their skin is both sobering and hard to wrap my head around. 🤷🏼‍♂️

 

Just don't act like this is unusual.  The UK didn't outlaw using skin color to admit people to bars, etc, until 1968.  So do you think about that when watching the British Open?

 

Almost every country in the world has practiced slavery and 167 still do.  And I'm sure every country has had or still has rules based on skin color or ethnicity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, smashdn said:

  Tell me what the identity of the PGA Championship is. 

 

It's the major with the best test while still being fair and has the strongest field of any major.

 

I don't agree with Jack.  Here is how I rank them.  The fun part of this is that we all get to have an opinion.

 

Masters

PGA

US OPEN

British

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Golferpaul said:

 

It's the major with the best test while still being fair and has the strongest field of any major.

 

 

If it weren't for the PGA Championship being already crowned a major, I'd contend The Memorial can lay as much claim to the latter characteristics.  (Also, The Players if we want to go down that road.)  The PGA Championship is all professional golfers and fewer qualifying players outside of tour pros than the US Open and Open.  By those reasons it will always have a stronger strength of field.  One of them has to have the strongest field.  Two are opens and one is an invitational.  It wasn't like they set out to have the strongest field, it just sort of fell that way.

 

What is fair?  What is unfair?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, smashdn said:

 

If it weren't for the PGA Championship being already crowned a major, I'd contend The Memorial can lay as much claim to the latter characteristics.  (Also, The Players if we want to go down that road.)  The PGA Championship is all professional golfers and fewer qualifying players outside of tour pros than the US Open and Open.  By those reasons it will always have a stronger strength of field.  One of them has to have the strongest field.  Two are opens and one is an invitational.  It wasn't like they set out to have the strongest field, it just sort of fell that way.

 

What is fair?  What is unfair?

 

Good question.  I think the USGA has set up unfair course conditions in the recent past in their effort to protect par.  I think the PGA does a better job without resorting to ridiculous greens and pin positions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Abh159 said:

Jack hasn't played competitively on tour now for close to 30 years so his views on the majors and their importance are a lot different than the guys playing today. 

 

\

Every current Tour player wants more than anything else in golf to win one of the 4 Majors, same as Jack Nicklaus did.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, bscinstnct said:


 

Need 4. Gotta have a Quad-drilateral yo ; )

 

Hey! Why they 5 there?!

 

 

 

 

8C59BAA9-7339-49A1-9B3D-C4C88002D55A.jpeg

It looks like the Walker Cup trophy in the center.  Jones was captain of the Walker Cup team in 1930, which won 10 - 2.

  • Like 2
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Fairway14 said:

Every current Tour player wants more than anything else in golf to win one of the 4 Majors, same as Jack Nicklaus did.

 

Agreed. Although this thread and my comment weren't about whether or not players care about majors. It was about which majors are more/less important to players.

 

As pointed out several times in the previous pages, current players rank the Masters as their #1 when polled compared to Jack who had it at #4. Illustrating how feelings change over the years and from generation to generation as well as player to player.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, gvogel said:

It looks like the Walker Cup trophy in the center.  Jones was captain of the Walker Cup team in 1930, which won 10 - 2.


 

Wait, so is actually 5?!

 

That be like

 

Pentagram!! Ancient symbol, revered in Babylon and by Pythagoras himself. 
 

Now the true power is revealed yo!!

 

Its 5 wins, not 4, that is the conduit to golf immortality.

 

Tigerrrrrrrr! got 5 too. 4 majors and the 2001 Players. 
 

 

5395D96B-17E4-4F9A-83DB-5A0A291E5DE7.jpeg

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

 

Agreed. Although this thread and my comment weren't about whether or not players care about majors. It was about which majors are more/less important to players.

 

As pointed out several times in the previous pages, current players rank the Masters as their #1 when polled compared to Jack who had it at #4. Illustrating how feelings change over the years and from generation to generation as well as player to player.

 

I think if Nicklaus was asked in 1960 (before he had won any of the professional  Majors) which Major he would most like to win, his answer probably would have been "any of them , but if I had to choose it would be the US Open or Masters".  As the decades passed by it became apparent to fans of golf that the Masters (relatively small field playing the same course each year) was the easiest of the 4 Majors to win.

As for current/younger Tour players the "invitation for life" to a Masters Champion has great appeal. It used to be that the PGA was a favorite Major of younger Tour pros because in past decades winning that Major included the benefit of  a 10 year Tour card.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Abh159 said:

 

Agreed. Although this thread and my comment weren't about whether or not players care about majors. It was about which majors are more/less important to players.

 

As pointed out several times in the previous pages, current players rank the Masters as their #1 when polled compared to Jack who had it at #4. Illustrating how feelings change over the years and from generation to generation as well as player to player.

I think players preference has changed with the money. Hear me out. I’m not sure the purse but it’s up there but I think The Players has the biggest purse, and the US Open is the biggest of the majors? (This is off the top of my head). But even though The Masters might not offer the biggest purse what it means for a players career is exponential. I think Masters Champion carries a little bit more weight with corporate sponsors. Plus being first means that companies have some money to spend on reps rather than the end of year PGA Champ (or Open Champion now). I remember someone did the math for just what each major could mean for a player, or maybe just specifically The Masters. It’s nuts, yeah the green jacket is iconic but my bank account would explode for being Masters Champion. It didn’t use to be that way. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, BNGL said:

I think players preference has changed with the money. Hear me out. I’m not sure the purse but it’s up there but I think The Players has the biggest purse, and the US Open is the biggest of the majors? (This is off the top of my head). But even though The Masters might not offer the biggest purse what it means for a players career is exponential. I think Masters Champion carries a little bit more weight with corporate sponsors. Plus being first means that companies have some money to spend on reps rather than the end of year PGA Champ (or Open Champion now). I remember someone did the math for just what each major could mean for a player, or maybe just specifically The Masters. It’s nuts, yeah the green jacket is iconic but my bank account would explode for being Masters Champion. It didn’t use to be that way. 


 

Yes, there was a piece on how much career and financial value a Masters win delivers. 
 

But in addition. You have the practically mystical and iconic course played every year.

 

You are granted a lifetime exemption to play

 

You host a dinner to your fellow winners including the legends of the game. And you go back every year to eat with the new champion.

 

All in all, you can see how if you’re a kid, a young Spieth or Bryson, that’s the place you dream of winning. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, bscinstnct said:


 

Yes, there was a piece on how much career and financial value a Masters win delivers. 
 

But in addition. You have the practically mystical and iconic course played every year.

 

You are granted a lifetime exemption to play

 

You host a dinner to your fellow winners including the legends of the game. And you go back every year to eat with the new champion.

 

All in all, you can see how if you’re a kid, a young Spieth or Bryson, that’s the place you dream of winning. 

I agree. But tbh if it were me all I’m seeing is dollar signs haha. If there ain’t no coin in it for me I ain’t doing it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, BNGL said:

I agree. But tbh if it were me all I’m seeing is dollar signs haha. If there ain’t no coin in it for me I ain’t doing it. 


 

Ya but ultimately the coin, whether it purchases products or services,  buys us experiences. 
 

The value on the experience of playing Augusta for 30+ years and some dinner with TW, Phil, and making fun of Faldo is very high ; )

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ANGC has done a much better job of marketing their brand over the last few decades.  The 

TV viewing experience and the live on the course patron experience are the best of the best from what I have seen and heard.  I think this has a lot to do with it's current popularity.  

 

Back in the '60's and early '70's the pros took great pride in winning the PGA, they all had to be members back then and it held more weight.  Now it's just a great tournament with a very deep field.  Still a major but the tour players aren't PGA members for the most part any longer so they have no personal ties.  At one time most of the tour had club pro jobs during he winter to supplement their pay as the prize money was pretty sparse.  Even the likes of Hogan, Sneed and Nelson had club pro jobs.  Jacks era and Arnie were really the first to move away from that paradigm.  

 

The 2 Opens should be high on the list depending on where you live in the world.  Personally I rank them along with the Masters as pretty equal.  

  • Like 1

Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54,58
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:


 

Ya but ultimately the coin, whether it purchases products or services,  buys us experiences. 
 

The value on the experience of playing Augusta for 30+ years and some dinner with TW, Phil, and making fun of Faldo is very high ; )

Yeah but don’t put prestige ahead of coin even for these guys, remember they’re professionals. Very few are playing for history.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, smashdn said:

 

The concept of a "major" is a manufactured one anyway.  Their tournament rose to that level and they wish to keep it at that level.

The four majors have been such since the 40s, so yes, history/writers/golfers had to buy in at some point and they became so over time prior to that, but there's been almost 80 years for the idea to lose traction if it was simply artificial.  

 

Seems to have aged pretty well, IMO.

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/10/2021 at 6:45 PM, Holy Moses said:

 

Hmmmm….

If you'd ask me in 2015 I would've said

 

It goes as follows

1. Masters

2. US Open

3. Open Championship

4 PGA Championship

 

But now I'm not so sure. I don't really care as long as the best golfers are in the mix and it's somewhat challenging. 

 

I love watching the Masters and Augusta National is my favorite course on tour, but the last 2 Masters have been really dull. This years Masters didn't really have any back 9 drama and last years Masters was probably one of the worst in recent times. 

 

The PGA Championship has really grown on me in recent year. 2018, 2020, and 2021 were all great from a viewing perspective. I love how the PGA of America has played some tough courses in recent years (Kiawah was a beast and -1 finished top 10 in 2017, 2019, and 2021). I don't think you'd see anything like that scene on 18 at Kiawah anything else (super cool). If the USGA got there hands on Kiawah this year it would've been even more of a bloodbath. 

 

The US Open is the one that is the most polarizing to me. I think Shinnecock and Pebble Beach were about as opposite as 2 tournaments could be. But I will say from a set up standpoint Winged Foot was the best US Open in over a decade. As a viewer and someone who despises Bryson it was super boring but I liked how the course was tough but fair. Even the players agree. 

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/golf/usopen/2020/09/19/u-s-open-winged-foot-gets-thumbs-up-players-who-missed-cut/5838779002/ 

 

I think out the final 3 majors The Open is the one that has had the best finishes in the last decade. 2013 was a watch as a Phil fan and 2015-18 were all awesome tournaments that came down to the wire . I love getting up early and watching the Open. If you ask any European, the 2 biggest events for them are the Open and Ryder Cup. 

 

As a golfer I think it really depends, for a guy like Shane Lowry, winning the Open in front of the Irish crowd would never top anything. 

 

A few more notes: I really loved watching a firm and fast Augusta National this year. I feel like the course has played very easy in the past decade  (out of the past 11 Masters played, 5 had winning scores of -14 or better) and the course was starting to lose some of it's bite.

I also like what the US Open is doing by having a rota system. They've already got 3 courses locked in (Oakmont, Merion, and Pinehurst). 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think one easily compares two things here:

Player preferences and spectator(TV and Live) preferences. 

I'm sure many US players agrees with Jack that the US Open, for an american is the ultimate thing. However that does not say anything about what is attractive to see for a golf maniac.

 

OK, being a european(scandinavian), The Open has some appeal as the kind of local event, and being the home of golf and so.

But nothing compares to the Masters. Same course, every year, just when golf opens again in northern europe and, as I understand it, in the northern parts of US.  Those wonderful first 16 holes, the traditions and everything.

 

Being no fan of golf courses in the style of an endless row of long par fours and no spectacular surroundings, US Open is normally the least attractive tournament to watch on TV.  OK, some years its played on quirky courses, like Chambers bay, but thats kind of not right. It shall be played on one of those long par four bories, for the reason Jack mentions. It shall be tough.

 

PGA champs can be played on this and that, I really enjoyed the year Day won on Whistling straits. But it sat better in August. 

Edited by Hankshank
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As a TV viewer, I prefer the Open and the Masters.  Open courses tend to be seaside links and I like seeing top players dealing with a fundamentally different type of course.  I like the Masters because of the year to year familiarity.  Having a memory library of previous great/awful scores on Amen Corner, etc.  I can't tell a PGA course from a US Open Course, frankly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Naptime said:

As a TV viewer, I prefer the Open and the Masters.  Open courses tend to be seaside links and I like seeing top players dealing with a fundamentally different type of course.  I like the Masters because of the year to year familiarity.  Having a memory library of previous great/awful scores on Amen Corner, etc.  I can't tell a PGA course from a US Open Course, frankly.


I too have trouble telling Bethpage from Bethpage and Olympic from Olympic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How can any major be the "easiest to win?"  A course may be easier to score on, but it's the same easy for everyone in the field.  Only one guy wins regardless of low scoring, aside from the rare team events.  Field size (or strength) is a consideration, but most fields are filled with guys who have no realistic chance to make the round 4 leaderboard, much less win.  Basically the inactive ingredient filler in a pill.  I think field strength only really matters at the top of the field.  If the top 50 OWGR + past winners are in the field, they are really playing their own tournament within the larger tournament.

Edited by Naptime
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/14/2021 at 3:54 PM, dlygrisse said:

ANGC has done a much better job of marketing their brand over the last few decades.  The 

TV viewing experience and the live on the course patron experience are the best of the best from what I have seen and heard.  I think this has a lot to do with it's current popularity.  

 

Back in the '60's and early '70's the pros took great pride in winning the PGA, they all had to be members back then and it held more weight.  Now it's just a great tournament with a very deep field.  Still a major but the tour players aren't PGA members for the most part any longer so they have no personal ties.  At one time most of the tour had club pro jobs during he winter to supplement their pay as the prize money was pretty sparse.  Even the likes of Hogan, Sneed and Nelson had club pro jobs.  Jacks era and Arnie were really the first to move away from that paradigm.  

 

The 2 Opens should be high on the list depending on where you live in the world.  Personally I rank them along with the Masters as pretty equal.  

100% agreed. As a viewer the Masters is the best major to follow, the familiarity with the course definitely helps but the whole online/app experience is light years ahead of any of the other majors. I understand why people complain about the lack of tv coverage on ESPN/CBS but trust me Augusta National wants it this way. It's basic supply/demand, the less tv coverage they show the more people will tune in.  

Edited by PHILsThemannnn
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks

    • 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club - Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
      2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club - Tuesday #1
      2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club - Tuesday #2
       
       
      Adam Scott - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Justin Rose - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Collin Morikawa - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Jason Day - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Justin Thomas - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Erik Van Rooyen - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Matt Jones - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Cam Davis - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Cam Smith - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Byeong Hun An - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Min Kyu - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Joohyung Kim - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Tommy Fleetwood - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Jordan Spieth - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Lucas Glover - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Keegan Bradley - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
       
       
       
      Gary Woodland's new Cameron putter - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Kevin Na's new Odyssey/Toulon putter - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Jucie wedges & Proto irons - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
       
       
       
       
      • 6 replies
    • 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open WITB Photos- Discussion & Links
      Please put any questions or comments here...
       
      Links:
       
      Harry Higgs - WITB - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
      Ian Poulter - WITB - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
      Corey Conners - WITB - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
      Harry Higgs - WITB - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
      Matt NeSmith - WITB - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
      Doug Ghim - WITB - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
      New Cameron Las Vegas covers - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
      New Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX shafts - 2021 Shriners Hospitals doe Children Open
       
       

       
        • Like
      • 14 replies
    • 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship - Discussion and Links
      2021 Sanderson Farms Championship - Monday
      2021 Sanderson Farms Championship - Tuesday #1
      2021 Sanderson Farms Championship - Tuesday #2
      2021 Sanderson Farms Championship - Tuesday #3
       
      2021 Sanderson Farms Championship - Tuesday #4
       
      WITBs
      Aaron Rai - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship
      Brian Stuard - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship
      Eugenio Chacarra - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship
      Davis Riley - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship
      Brice Garnett - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship
      Curtis Thompson - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship
      Richy Werenski - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship
      Andy Ogletree - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship
      Sahith Theegala - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship Will Zalatoris - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship Stephan Jaeger - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship Kevin Chappell - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship Jonas Blixt - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship Kevin Streelman - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship Sam Burns - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship Matthew Wolff - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship Jimmy Walker - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship Gary Woodland - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship Davis Thompson - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship Sam Saunders - WITB - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship  
      Special Galleries
       
      Odyssey putters - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship  
      Cameron putters - 2021 Sanderson Farms Championship  
        • Like
      • 5 replies
    • 2021 Fortinet Championship - Discussion and Links
      Please put and questions or comments here
       
       
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #1
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #2
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #3
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #4
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #5
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #6
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #7
      2021 Fortinet Championship - Tuesday #8
       
       
      New Ping putter - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      New Bettinardi putters & Cover - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Ping Putters - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Odyssey putters - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Cameron putter and new ball marker - 2021 Fortinet Championship
       
       
      Sneds - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Peter Uihlein - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Charles Howell, III - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Scott Piercy - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Brandan Steele - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Mito Pereira - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
      Kevin Tway - WITB -2021 Fortinet Championship
      Joseph Bramlett - WITB - 2021 Fortinet Championship
       
       
       
      • 19 replies
    • 2021 Tour Championship - Discussion and Comments
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
       
      Odyssey putters - 2021 Tour Championship
      LA Golf putter shafts - 2021 Tour Championship
       
       
       
      • 25 replies

×
×
  • Create New...