2021 Cambia Portland Classic, September 16-19

18majors

3 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

She's fun, she's Aussie, and she's an underdog and was a solid amateur! ☺︎   I'm also a Perth loyalist aka Minjee/Min Woo... and a JDay fanboy...  (I'm fine with Hannah Green too haha)

Of the 3....yes...I think Su would be the most fun.

I think Minjee is quite introverted and the most reserved.

Mike Clayton is a bit of a mentor to the gals...he was on another forum and said Min Woo is the opposite of Minjee and quite animated.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KBong said:

Of the 3....yes...I think Su would be the most fun.

I think Minjee is quite introverted and the most reserved.

Mike Clayton is a bit of a mentor to the gals...he was on another forum and said Min Woo is the opposite of Minjee and quite animated.

Yes Minjee is an introvert - but nothing wrong with that... so long as she isn't perceived as a "snob", which she isn't to me... Lots of my friends who live in Perth obviously root for her and actually some do know her a bit...  

2 minutes ago, KBong said:

So the commentators just said that they were surprised that Carlota is ranked very low in scrambling.

They should have said that her poor putting is a factor in that stat.

Ciganda just 3 jacked from 5 ft on #8.🤣

It's the curse... I saw the lipout and double bogey...

it's also unfortunate the moment the coverage started, Su Oh misses a birdie putt! these guys are jinxed!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

Yes Minjee is an introvert - but nothing wrong with that... so long as she isn't perceived as a "snob", which she isn't to me... Lots of my friends who live in Perth obviously root for her and actually some do know her a bit...  

I noticed it in the way she interacts with the fans.

I think there are a good number of golfers who are introverts....a good sport to practice and play alone.

I can't stand playing alone....I end up goofing around....worse is playing alone sandwiched between 2 groups.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Seamus_MacDuff said:

Top level pro, towards the top of the world rankings. Very friendly and engaging with our group.  I’ll PM you the name. 

You scored a jackpot....I've never seen her play....but will certainly watch her at my next event.

So was there a pro-am draw dinner on Tues night where your group selected her or was she a random selection to your group?

2 minutes ago, KBong said:

You scored a jackpot....I've never seen her play....but will certainly watch her at my next event.

So was there a pro-am draw dinner on Tues night where your group selected her or was she a random selection to your group?

There was a pairings party Tuesday night with David Feherty and Nancy Lopez where the pairings were announced, but I don’t believe it was a random selection. 

• Like 1

Give JYK an event that doesn’t have a full field, a rain delay and only a handful of top players to handle and she’s the one. Very similar to Dallas earlier this year. I think it says a couple of things:

1.) She’s the best this season outside of a few maybe as little as 3-4 players when it comes to closing out an event. 

2.) She’s showing a sort of maturity that she can endure delays, course conditions etc and still play well. Dare I say it causes her to focus more than she normally would? I was NEVER close to being an even good tennis player in high school but when we had events that had a rain delay it was very easy to get distracted, discouraged and just want to get out there and get the match over with so you could go home. Not the case with JYK.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, KBong said:

TV doesn't truly capture the REAL topography.

Is OGC really that hilly that walking on a daily/weekly basis would be too cumbersome?
I assume many OGC members cart???

Generally speaking....at our privates here...it's basically a walking culture.

I did a Google....I thought OGC was a members owned private....seems like it's corporately owned....by a South Korean business man.

Do you know the cost of a OGC F/T membership initiation?

On the OGC website...the Youtube video says OGC is one of Oregon's best privates???

I think not???....it doesn't show up on any top list I Googled.

I assume OGC decided to host the LPGA to showcase the course for more members???....I assume they might be struggling for members???

Basically all the privates here have very long wait lists...especially increased by the pandemic demand...with most initiations to the premier privates at $50-$100K.

I hope the city gets the homeless off Marine Dr and away from CEGC.

No one else wanted wanted it on such short notice. If you PM me I can give you some details. 

OGC has a weird reputation. They have some very good golfers as members but is an afterthought compared to most privates around here. They have great membership deals and a great social environment but course is average at best. To be fair they didn’t have anywhere near enough time to prep for the tournament. 

Personally I hate the course. The course does well because of the money around it and the fact that the other privates that compete with it are full. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

I have to agree that the course doesn't drain well. For a course built in the PNW, 2 inches of rain doesn't sound like much.

It appears that it's currently raining there, and it will continue until noon. It looks light, though. Hopefully they can start the 3rd round, and finish tomorrow.

They aren’t one of the better draining courses but to be fair the ground is so hard right now nowhere is draining well. No measurable moisture for almost 5 months is the reason. It’s not course drainage now, just overall the ground isn’t ready for water. 

43 minutes ago, mallrat said:

No one else wanted wanted it on such short notice. If you PM me I can give you some details. 

OGC has a weird reputation. They have some very good golfers as members but is an afterthought compared to most privates around here. They have great membership deals and a great social environment but course is average at best. To be fair they didn’t have anywhere near enough time to prep for the tournament. 

Personally I hate the course. The course does well because of the money around it and the fact that the other privates that compete with it are full. 

Yes...few courses want to give up their course to host an event.

Now that I saw play from the 17th green and 18th tee and looking at the background....I can see how severe the elevations changes are at OGC.

There's a hilly public course near me....Northlands....it would have more elevation changes than OGC.....I also don't like the numerous uneven lies.

I don't care for it and have only played it twice in 10 years.

But it is very picturesque. 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, ThinkingPlus said:

It looks like Kupcho got fed up with playing poorly and finished -6 over the last 5 holes.  Impressive.

I would have rather seen Kupcho shoot +6 over the last 5 holes.

A SNaP V2 club helicopter would have been more FUN to watch.

On Thurs....we did see a good club slam from Jenn.🤣

spacer.png

46 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Of all players I've watched this year, Nelly Korda, Lydia Ko and Jin Young Ko included, Patty Tavatanakit is the one who stands out.

She's just getting started, she very well could leave the tour in the dust!

LMAO.

In my books...I need to see consistent domination from a pro over a 2 year period before I say they are "dusting" the competition.

You're not very loyal...what happen to your FAWNING over Nelly and Yealimi?....did both block you on Instagram?🤣

• Like 1

Congrats to JYK...finished it off #LIKEABOSS draining the 20 foot sliding downhill putt on 18 for birdie to end the event.

It's pretty easy to drool over JYK's swing....especially how she holds her finish.

I think I'll buy some flood pants like JYK's to bring some good Karma to my golf game.

Hmmm...a Korean wins, OGC is owned by a Korean....I'd say the Koreans in Portland are going to spoon feed the homeless outside of CEGC to keep the Cambia at OGC next year...just saying

• Like 2

First, a tip of the hat to the grounds crew. I'm sure they put in a lot of effort to get the course playable today. Fairways were very soft, but it looked nice. Also, thank you Mother Nature for giving them a window to get this thing finished today. 

A bit anticlimactic, but did you really expect anything different with Gemma and Carlota chasing? Jin Young is made for tough courses. Give her a lead and it's rare to see her make a big mistake. Nine wins is more than solid. On a course that was handing out doubles or worse she managed only four bogies, with zero today and only one in round two. Did they say that her driver was the only old club in her bag? That's a serious change. 

Nice week for Su. Fanbois have to be happy. 

Glad they got this thing in. The course reminded me of Lake Merced. Nice to see a tough course once in a while. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

18 minutes ago, KBong said:

JYK told us it's Chuseok.....Korean Thanksgiving.

It's the 15th day of August on Asian lunar calendar; the same day as the Mid Autumn Festival in China.

Most likely, Korea took the holiday from China and renamed it; but I couldn't confirm that from Wikipedia.

21 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

A bit anticlimactic, but did you really expect anything different with Gemma and Carlota chasing? Jin Young is made for tough courses. Give her a lead and it's rare to see her make a big mistake.

IMO...JYK played Annika Sunday golf....steady, boring and flawless golf and watched any contenders fold like a cheap suit.

I think if Annika was a better putter...especially on Sunday...she'd have all or at least the majority of the significant LPGA records.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 18majors said:

It's the 15th day of August on Asian lunar calendar; the same day as the Mid Autumn Festival in China.

Most likely, Korea took the holiday from China and renamed it; but I couldn't confirm that from Wikipedia.

2021 Chuseok is celebrated for 3 days...Sept 20-22....and it's already Sept 20 in Korea.

https://www.chuseok.info/

Everyone STEALS the amazing things from the Great People of China.🤣

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Did they say that her driver was the only old club in her bag? That's a serious change. 

Ya...they said that....but they are mistaken.

JYK used to play a Cally Epic Flash.

Hopefully someone does a WITB.

I'm not sure if there are Titleist FW's & hybrids under the TSi headcovers....and we couldn't get confirmation if JYK upgraded her irons to a new Bridgestone model

13 minutes ago, KBong said:

Ya...they said that....but they are mistaken.

JYK used to play a Cally Epic Flash.

Hopefully someone does a WITB.

I'm not sure if there are Titleist FW's & hybrids under the TSi headcovers....and we couldn't get confirmation if JYK upgraded her irons to a new Bridgestone model

She had the Tsi3 at the Olympics. 

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

6 hours ago, 18majors said:

It's more like 5 hours for threesome.

I thought you were JOKING about this.

Didn't the last group...who I believe were playing on pace with the group ahead...though Ciganda was in the group....play in approx....5:20 hrs....teed off at 9:37am...finished around 3pm???

WTH???

That's PATHETIC.

I'm mad our typical rds here are 4:30....but there are a lot of ball hawkers and garbage players up here.