Driver strike doesn’t feel solid?

justcallmemoses

I’m hitting the driver consistently location wise,  flight is decent, distance is good with a slight high draw. Path is slightly in to out and positive angle of attack.

The strike pattern is generally around the highlighted section on the pic. My problem is the feel isn’t solid off the face (as in light or hollow feeling). What could be causing this feel? Swingweight? Shaft?

TS3 10.5 @ D1 9.75

Tensei AV Raw White 65g stiff

Playing length is 45 inches 

6473AEDE-4886-4D84-A958-2C7C996D0EC0.jpeg

3 hours ago, justcallmemoses said:

My problem is the feel isn’t solid off the face (as in light or hollow feeling). What could be causing this feel? Swingweight? Shaft?

I can’t comment on the Titleist TS3, but I moved the weight in my Ping G410 lst to see how much it would effect draw and fade bias, and I thought I cracked the face after the first strike it felt so bad. 

I made 2 swings

1. First one I thought the face cracked and I couldn’t see the crack. It felt awful

2nd I was convinced that if the club had a hairline fracture that I couldn’t see, the second strike would cave it in. Again, it felt awful and I struck both in the middle of the face

I moved the weight back to neutral and it was like magic happened, it felt back to its usual self. 

*side not, my weight is about 8 grams heavier than stock since I play my driver at a shorter length with a high balance point shaft. *

where is your weight located in relation to your typical strike pattern. 

I don’t hit mine that high on the face, but I am slightly toe side, similar anyways. I don’t know if you tried moving the weight around, it may help

Agree on the ball.  Try a softer ball (avoid "X" balls.)  

BTW, I wish I could strike the ball so consistently on the center of the face.  I'm jealous.  

• Like 2

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Not sure it’s what your feeling, but nothing annoys me more than the feeling of the face of the driver “bouncing back off the ball” instead of

smashing through.  That is what I interpret as not solid, but everyone is different. If that is what you’re feeling, a more stable shaft or tipping your current shaft would make it feel

more stable as the clubhead moves through the ball.

3 hours ago, Drivingrangehero said:

I can’t comment on the Titleist TS3, but I moved the weight in my Ping G410 lst to see how much it would effect draw and fade bias, and I thought I cracked the face after the first strike it felt so bad. 

I made 2 swings

1. First one I thought the face cracked and I couldn’t see the crack. It felt awful

2nd I was convinced that if the club had a hairline fracture that I couldn’t see, the second strike would cave it in. Again, it felt awful and I struck both in the middle of the face

I moved the weight back to neutral and it was like magic happened, it felt back to its usual self. 

*side not, my weight is about 8 grams heavier than stock since I play my driver at a shorter length with a high balance point shaft. *

where is your weight located in relation to your typical strike pattern. 

I don’t hit mine that high on the face, but I am slightly toe side, similar anyways. I don’t know if you tried moving the weight around, it may help

my weight is in neutral setting. I’ve tried the fade setting in TS3 but I think I’d need more weight in it to find a difference 

15 minutes ago, NHenson815 said:

Not sure it’s what your feeling, but nothing annoys me more than the feeling of the face of the driver “bouncing back off the ball” instead of

smashing through.  That is what I interpret as not solid, but everyone is different. If that is what you’re feeling, a more stable shaft or tipping your current shaft would make it feel

more stable as the clubhead moves through the ball.

That’s exactly what it feels like and sometimes the launch can be higher than normal that’s what I’m wondering if I needed a stiffer tip 

5 minutes ago, justcallmemoses said:

That’s exactly what it feels like and sometimes the launch can be higher than normal that’s what I’m wondering if I needed a stiffer tip 

I use a tipped 90TX Smoke Green in my driver just so I never have this feeling, lol.  I know I'm leaving distance on the table, but the game just doesn't feel as fun if I'm not smashing through stuff.  

28 minutes ago, NHenson815 said:

I use a tipped 90TX Smoke Green in my driver just so I never have this feeling, lol.  I know I'm leaving distance on the table, but the game just doesn't feel as fun if I'm not smashing through stuff.  

You realize of course that shafts don't provide propulsion right?

• Haha 1

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I find that if the shaft or the tip isn't stiff enough, or the bend point is too low the contact through the ball never feels as "solid" but rather "loose".

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

If you have this same feeling with proper "premium" balls then there are a few likely culprits. 

The first thing I would consider is weight placement per what @Drivingrangehero alluded to. The TS3 from a horizontal CG standpoint is pretty solidly draw biased/heel side, very similar to many other drivers with moveable weights in their "Draw" positions, which obviously is working slightly against your current strike pattern. You'll feel increased torquing/gear effects with strikes like you pictured as a result, so trying out a slightly heavier "fade" weight might be a good place to start (more in this below). 

Other factors to consider:

1) Sound. Many weren't crazy about the sound of the TS3 and that is a big part of how we perceive feel. 
2) Vibration. Stock shafts like the AV White you're using, while fine parts, are not going to be as smooth and "solid" feeling as many similar premium offerings given the materials used. These stock shafts will have both cheaper composites used in their construction and often higher resin content which both lead to a harder/harsher feel than their premium counterparts. 
3) Lighter headweight/swingweight. Many people find benefit in figuring out their "feel sweetspot" with the right headweight and total club weight. Not only does it sync up with your swing/mechanics more smoothly, but the right amount of additional weight (assuming we're starting from a point of "too light") can often create a better impact feel. That is to say, drivers that are too light can feel tinny and harsh whereas too heavy can feel a little dead and muted. Finding the Goldilocks zone in the middle is the goal. 

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

5 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

If you have this same feeling with proper "premium" balls then there are a few likely culprits. 

The first thing I would consider is weight placement per what @Drivingrangehero alluded to. The TS3 from a horizontal CG standpoint is pretty solidly draw biased/heel side, very similar to many other drivers with moveable weights in their "Draw" positions, which obviously is working slightly against your current strike pattern. You'll feel increased torquing/gear effects with strikes like you pictured as a result, so trying out a slightly heavier "fade" weight might be a good place to start (more in this below). 

Other factors to consider:

1) Sound. Many weren't crazy about the sound of the TS3 and that is a big part of how we perceive feel. 
2) Vibration. Stock shafts like the AV White you're using, while fine parts, are not going to be as smooth and "solid" feeling as many similar premium offerings given the materials used. These stock shafts will have both cheaper composites used in their construction and often higher resin content which both lead to a harder/harsher feel than their premium counterparts. 
3) Lighter headweight/swingweight. Many people find benefit in figuring out their "feel sweetspot" with the right headweight and total club weight. Not only does it sync up with your swing/mechanics more smoothly, but the right amount of additional weight (assuming we're starting from a point of "too light") can often create a better impact feel. That is to say, drivers that are too light can feel tinny and harsh whereas too heavy can feel a little dead and muted. Finding the Goldilocks zone in the middle is the goal. 

I’m going to try pick up a heavier weight. The stock TS3 is 45.5 but my shaft is 45 with the stock weight so maybe more head weight is needed. I previously played a g400 lst which had more of a heavy hit off the face. I’ll try the heavier weight in the toe before jumping into a shaft or new driver fit.

BTW I’ve always played with prov1x so have tested the premium ball.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, justcallmemoses said:

I’m going to try pick up a heavier weight. The stock TS3 is 45.5 but my shaft is 45 with the stock weight so maybe more head weight is needed. I previously played a g400 lst which had more of a heavy hit off the face. I’ll try the heavier weight in the toe before jumping into a shaft or new driver fit.

BTW I’ve always played with prov1x so have tested the premium ball.

PINGs are consistently much heavier stock than most drivers, so i'd definitely mess with weight first. Their raw headweights are normally anywhere from 5-7g heavier than everyone else. 

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

You might also have too much dynamic loft at impact. That’s a big factor for how the ball flight comes out, and how solid the strike feels.

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9 Diamana WS 70 TX
3w: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 15/BRNR Mini Diamana D+Plus 80TX

5w: Paradym AI Smoke 18 Tensei Pro White 1k 90 TX
4i: Srixon ZX Mk II AD IZ 95x

5-PW: Miura TC-201 Oban CT 125x

50/54/59: Cleveland RTX Zipcore DG S400

Putter: Jailbird 380 WH/Taylormade Spider Tour Red/Odyssey #7CH Milled

3 minutes ago, BlueDragonKorea said:

You might also have too much dynamic loft at impact. That’s a big factor for how the ball flight comes out, and how solid the strike feels.

is that something controlled by strike? I don’t think my AOA is ridiculously high or would lower loft be needed potentially 

2 hours ago, Valtiel said:

That is to say, drivers that are too light can feel tinny and harsh whereas too heavy can feel a little dead and muted.

I have experienced that with my old Ping G30 Ls Tec. 

it felt tinny but seemed to jump off the face compared to my Titleist 905r. Both clubs were loud as hell, but the G30 felt tinny……. Until I added weight to the head, then it felt much more solid if that makes sense. 

10 hours ago, justcallmemoses said:

I’m hitting the driver consistently location wise,  flight is decent, distance is good with a slight high draw. Path is slightly in to out and positive angle of attack.

The strike pattern is generally around the highlighted section on the pic. My problem is the feel isn’t solid off the face (as in light or hollow feeling). What could be causing this feel? Swingweight? Shaft?

TS3 10.5 @ D1 9.75

Tensei AV Raw White 65g stiff

Playing length is 45 inches 

6473AEDE-4886-4D84-A958-2C7C996D0EC0.jpeg

460CC Titanium head = loud impact sound (harsh feel). Buy a carbon top driver and I expect you will like it.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

Or as mentioned above add a couple grams at a time to raise head weight and swing weight for a more solid impact and feel with the weights available.

The alternate way is Hot-melt, which also deadens the titanium “ting” sound providing a more powerful “thud” sensation and audible experience. 

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0