Mtljeff's 2021 demo day blues (i don't know what to buy this offseason)

MtlJeff

I've done a lot of demo days this year. It's one of the fun perks of being at a pretty renowned club in the Mtl area. But i gotta say...After hitting a lot of stuff this year i came away mostly uninspired. There was definitely some good stuff--But i just felt less wow'd this season than any before it. I actually approach the offseason with just total apathy towards buying new stuff, though this could definitely change

Callaway - I love their drivers, but i own 2 Mavriks so i'm not overly interested in the Epic Speed. I most certainly WAS interested in the Apex Pro but after hitting i felt that the feel/sound was pretty meh compared to my Forged TECs. I really wanted to want the Apex Pros, but came away being happy i didn't buy them last winter.

TMAG- I felt the same about the 770s as i did about the Apex Pros--just not a great feeling iron IMO. The Pi790 is a MONSTER club though and i expect 50% of the golfers in my club will be playing these next year. These irons are sexy AF and felt nice. Definitely a winner there. I just don't know that i can buy PI790s and be like everyone else LOL. I also liked the SIM2 , it felt a lot like my Mavrik--But i own 2 Mavriks

Ping- Hey, maybe release a new players club more than once every decade. How about trying that. I think the I500s came out in like 2007?

Titleist: The T200s are amazing. Amazing Amazing.....If i buy anything this year it will be those. Seriously these feel awesome and are the perfect size for forgiveness/playability. T100s were nice too but i don't see the point. T200s were really nice

2021 was the first year though where i came out of all of the demo days thinking the stuff i already had was better than the stuff i hit. I think my Forged TECs came out the best of anything this year frankly--I would say they are probably the best overall iron no one is playing. They feel awesome and are a nice tweener size.

Did anything blow you away this year?

• Like 3

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

There's been 1 club that I had the wow feeling for...the pxg proto 3w.

I'm trying to solidify the 3w spot in my bad and have hit everything but cobra and ping. Nothing has impressed. Mizuno stz has come close. It's serviceable, but not wow. 

I want a 3w that sits square. I want it to not go left. I want it to equal everyone else in ballspeed. I want it to be forgiving. The pxg proto checked all those boxes. I demoed it past Friday. Hit a used one at a retailer the next day. Ordered it later that day. Hit it again Wednesday.  Every time I hit it I loved it. No definitive wow yet...gotta get it in my hands off grass. But I'm anticipating this club more than any in a while.

Edited by getitdaily

I'm really happy with my 714AP2's but I think I'd like to try a set of the PXG Gen3's. The price is right and I've heard nothing but good about them. 

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

#firstworldproblems

I would love to do a demo day where I could hit a selection of stuff rather than buy it in hopes it doesn't suck or can be resold if it does. 🤣

Sounds like you at least get to try different stuff, uninspiring or not. It could be worse.

• Like 3

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

As an older, more traditionalist leaning player @jvincent doesn't share @MtlJeff 's love of the hollow body. Give me a pure forging all the time.

Famous last words, but I am very happy with the bag right now. The Srixon utility has proven to be a very good addition and I'm really liking the Wilson Staff irons.

What I'd love to see is a smaller brand only demo day where Mizuno, Cobra, Srixon are all available. Those are the ones you tend not to see.

Note, I'm going to try and always use 3rd person in @MtlJeff threads from now on. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Instead of trying this year’s stuff, is there anything from past year’s offerings that you didn’t get a chance to own? Adds a little hunting to your off-season and possibly some time as a seller next spring if it isn’t for you.

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

Zero demo days here. I’ve tried very few of the new clubs since our local shop shuttered club sales.

@MtlJeff what did you think of G425 driver?  That’s the only new driver for me that could unseat Mav Max.

• Like 1

Spring 2024

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx LS 5W 17.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx 4Hy 21° HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° / Z585 6i-7i / Z785 8i-AW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant DF / Piretti Teramo / MannKrafted MA99 Proto

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

I bought the srixon zx5s after hitting them… I didn’t try the cobras and should have (granted, I still haven’t gotten the srixons, so there is still time) but the zx5 were incredible for me…

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

The stuff that blew me away this year was the stuff from yesteryear: 2006 PING Rapture, 1998 Callaway Hawk Eye, and 1984 Eye2.  Not even my "modern" bag comes close...

• Like 2

Driver PING G SF Tec

Wood PING G (18.5*)

Irons PING G30 (6-SW)

Putter PING DS72 2021 (35")

Bag Jones Classic Stand

Cart Clicgear 3.5+

1 hour ago, jvincent said:

As an older, more traditionalist leaning player @jvincent doesn't share @MtlJeff 's love of the hollow body. Give me a pure forging all the time.

Famous last words, but I am very happy with the bag right now. The Srixon utility has proven to be a very good addition and I'm really liking the Wilson Staff irons.

What I'd love to see is a smaller brand only demo day where Mizuno, Cobra, Srixon are all available. Those are the ones you tend not to see.

Note, I'm going to try and always use 3rd person in @MtlJeff threads from now on. 🙂

MtlJeff approves of the use of the 3rd person. It is classy and dignified!

• Haha 1

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

The stuff that blew me away this year were the Srixon ZX7 irons, and Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges!!

Loved them at first sight and first test, and love them even more now that I own them!

I’ve been a massive Club Ho over the last 16 months, but with the ZX7’s and Zipcore wedges, I think I’m ready to settle down and keep those in the bag for a long time!

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

2 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

I think I’m ready to settle down and keep those in the bag for a long time!

A long time = 6 months.  You got this!

• Haha 2

Spring 2024

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx LS 5W 17.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx 4Hy 21° HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° / Z585 6i-7i / Z785 8i-AW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant DF / Piretti Teramo / MannKrafted MA99 Proto

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

8 minutes ago, jbrunk said:

A long time = 6 months.  You got this!

Bahaha….yeah, I can’t really argue with that!! 🤣💯

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

29 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

Me not finding new clubs to purchase is the worst thing that's ever happened to anyone!

Somebody asked me if I had anything new in the bag this year.

Other than putter, everything is new. Even the bag.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

28 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

The stuff that blew me away this year were the Srixon ZX7 irons, and Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges!!

Loved them at first sight and first test, and love them even more now that I own them!

I’ve been a massive Club Ho over the last 16 months, but with the ZX7’s and Zipcore wedges, I think I’m ready to settle down and keep those in the bag for a long time!

The Srixon's are the ones I was looking at most of the major OEM's. I wish the Z Forged came in lefty because a Z Forged 6- PW and ZX7 4, 5 would be pretty sweet.

<edit> I've had 5 sets of irons in the last 12 months, but I hadn't bought irons since '97 so I was due. I still might get a newer set of blades, but that's it. Maybe. 🤣

Edited by lefthack
  • Like 2

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Up until I recently I hadn’t hit anything that wowed up. I had a demo day earlier this week and was booked in for a driver fitting with Titleist. I arrived early as I wanted to hit a few other clubs. I tried the Ping i59 which was good but didn’t stand out in any shape or form, I then walked past the cobra set up and saw the MB’s. I had a quick chat with the rep and hit a few balls. These wowed me, and it’s been a long time since a set of irons did that to me. So by the end of the day new driver was ordered but couldn’t stop thinking about those irons, next day I ordered a set. Picture attached for my benefit so I can keep looking at it until they arrive 

7589F4FA-C633-40B9-BF56-07F0FA77888F.jpeg

• Like 4

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

1 hour ago, lefthack said:

The Srixon's are the ones I was looking at most of the major OEM's. I wish the Z Forged came in lefty because a Z Forged 6- PW and ZX7 4, 5 would be pretty sweet.

<edit> I've had 5 sets of irons in the last 12 months, but I hadn't bought irons since '97 so I was due. I still might get a newer set of blades, but that's it. Maybe. 🤣

Haha…I feel you, I’m on my 5th set of irons in the last 12 months too! Welcome to Club Ho’s-R-Us, Lol!

I haven’t hit the Z-Forged, but they look gorgeous for sure. I’ve had blades before, and would put ZX7’s feel and control up against any of them though…might as well treat yourself to set #6 and pick up some ZX7’s!! 😉

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

51 minutes ago, craz-e said:

Up until I recently I hadn’t hit anything that wowed up. I had a demo day earlier this week and was booked in for a driver fitting with Titleist. I arrived early as I wanted to hit a few other clubs. I tried the Ping i59 which was good but didn’t stand out in any shape or form, I then walked past the cobra set up and saw the MB’s. I had a quick chat with the rep and hit a few balls. These wowed me, and it’s been a long time since a set of irons did that to me. So by the end of the day new driver was ordered but couldn’t stop thinking about those irons, next day I ordered a set. Picture attached for my benefit so I can keep looking at it until they arrive 

7589F4FA-C633-40B9-BF56-07F0FA77888F.jpeg

These are fire! I'm tempted, but it would mean me coming out of the OL coma. 

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

3 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Haha…I feel you, I’m on my 5th set of irons in the last 12 months too! Welcome to Club Ho’s-R-Us, Lol!

I haven’t hit the Z-Forged, but they look gorgeous for sure. I’ve had blades before, and would put ZX7’s feel and control up against any of them though…might as well treat yourself to set #6 and pick up some ZX7’s!! 😉

The Takomo 101's are interesting, but I am holding out for the Haywood MB's in lefty that are supposed to be end of this year, early next.

I am really loving my BGD's. The blades were just a little funner, I think.

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

The Srixon irons were incredible, so much so that I bought a set of ZX5’s. The Epic Speed Triple Diamond was intriguing but no woods have really wowed me

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

19 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

Ping- Hey, maybe release a new players club more than once every decade. How about trying that. I think the I500s came out in like 2007?

I'm guessing you demo'd before the i59's were ready.  I was absolutely, positively not buying irons this year.  Then I tried the Ping i59 demo.  You may want to go check them out.  I was really impressed by how consistent my carry distance was.  

Titleist TSR3 9* - KBS TD 60 CAT3 | Taylormade SIM2 Max 3HL(16.5*) - VA Composites Raijin 74 four | Taylormade Sim2 Max 5w(18*) - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7x | Srixon Z785 4-PW - KBS Tour FLT (S) | Vokey SM8 50.08F(51*), 56.12D, SM9 64.04W - DG Tour Issue S400 | Scotty Cameron Fastback

18 hours ago, jwb10 said:

You Canadians are sooo formal; PXG,at all ??

PXG intrigues me , but after almost buying both the Apex Pros AND 770s without hitting them and then not linking either, i'm getting a little gun shy---And PXG i can't hit anywhere

• Like 1

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

3 hours ago, bevans0222 said:

I'm guessing you demo'd before the i59's were ready.  I was absolutely, positively not buying irons this year.  Then I tried the Ping i59 demo.  You may want to go check them out.  I was really impressed by how consistent my carry distance was.  

Yea no I59s...They might be a bit too small for me though. I pretty much draw the line at like a P770 style club. The perfect head for me size wise is probably my Forged TECs to be honest.

Truthfully i love my Forged TECs. I'll probably just keep them.

Maybe a new hybrid is in order...But that is so boring.

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I did order 5 boxes of Vice golf balls today so that'll hold me a bit LOL

• Like 1

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Two clubs blew me away this past season.  Tsi3 driver and Honma tr20 irons.  

Tsi3 driver mainly because of the shape, which directly correlates to performance.  The look at address just suits my eye so much better than anything else I’ve tried in a long while.  It just gives me confidence and this season has been my best driving the ball in a couple of years.

Tr20 irons look and feel incredible!  I’ve played Mizuno and Bridgestone off and on for most of my time playing this game.  Blade looks at address, wider sole (very Bridgestone like), dense feel and more forgiving than you would think from looks at address.

I did test the new t100 a couple of days ago and I have to say they felt and looked amazing as well.  If I were to move away from the Honma’s it would be with the t100 in a heartbeat.  Just not happening anytime soon.

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X