hypergolf

Thoughts?

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

Where are people still seeing the MMC for sale?  They are nowhere to be found in my stores.  

Two great irons... I'd lean Srixon personally just for the V Sole, but would be happy with either one of these.

Mizuno ST-Z 9.5  HZRDUS RDX blue 60  6.0

Titleist 917f2 16.5 (C1)  Aldila Rogue silver 70s

Ping G410 19  Aldila Rogue black 85s

PXG Gen 3  0311T  4-P  Elevate Tour stiff

Ping Glide Stealth 2.0  52/12, 58/10

Odyssey White Hot OG Rossie 34.25"

Snell MTB 

Titleist Players 4+

9 minutes ago, Nixhex524 said:

Where are people still seeing the MMC for sale?  They are nowhere to be found in my stores.  

Two great irons... I'd lean Srixon personally just for the V Sole, but would be happy with either one of these.

No - MMCs are sold out (in fact all MP-20s are). This from Mizuno itself. Newest versions, that they've named MP 221, 223, and 225, won't be available until February 22. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10.25* ~ Tensei AV Blue

Titleist TSi2 15* ~ Tensei AV Blue

Titleist TSi2 18* ~ Tensei AV Blue

Titleist TSi2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Blue

Mizuno MP-20 MMC, 4 - PW ~ KBS $-Taper 120

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST Pured

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST Pured

Scotty Special Select Newport 2.5

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 ball

11 hours ago, Nixhex524 said:

There were last 2 brand new sets on sale in our local store. Dirt cheap as well. So I picked up one anyway and the other set was taken by another lucky buyer. 

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Ball - Srixon Z Star

Tested both in my fitting and went with MMCs as I preferred the DG 120 shaft and they only had Modus 3 for the ZX7

Don't think you can go wrong with either. ZX7s seemed a bit bigger but both felt lovely and were relatively long and forgiving for their category.

In my view comes down to shaft and brand/look preference

Ping G425 LST 9* Tour 65 S
Ping G425 LST 14.5* Tour 75 S
Ping G425 Hybrids 19*/22* Tour 85 S
Mizuno MP-20 MMC 5-PW DG 120 S400
Mizuno T20 Raw 50,54,58 DG 120 S300
Scotty Cameron Phantom x 5 34"

I couldn't directly compare these H2H: the ZX7 had Modus 130 X shafts while the MMC had DG120 X100 shafts.  I really loved the feel of the head on each, however, the MMC has just been a match made in heaven so far.  I have probably bought 10 used sets here and the MMC just stands out due to its weighting and feel.  I am not the best golfer by any means but I have found the MMC to be much more "forgiving" than the GI and SGI irons I have tried.  There is just something about the feel and weight of the head that gives me a repeatable swing. The closest other great iron I have tried is the Callaway MB21/Apex Pro 21 combo, but the MB irons aren't quite as forgiving and don't really offer additional advantages for me.  

Yesterday, I was struggling with my swing tempo on my longer clubs (driver mostly) but when in my short to mid irons, the MMC was always money.  I always feel like I can attack the pin.  I hit all of the Par 3s on a pretty tough course. My last shot of the day was a straight away 140 yard 9-iron (choked down 1" as my normal MMC 9-iron length is 150): it it flush 6 inches past the hole and it spun right back in for an eagle; first shot I have ever made that was more than 50 yards out.  Last week, I had 3 tap-in birdies hitting either my 8/9/PW MMC.  Now, if only I could keep my driver out of the woods....

FWIW, I have been playing about a year after taking about 25 years off, but I played a lot between the ages of 12-14. Currently 5.4 handicap but I started playing these MMCs when I was struggling to break 95 last summer, and they felt great even then. 

As an aside, I think that companies like Mizuno do a real disservice to people by saying stuff like "elite player's cavity back iron".  if it works for your swing and gives you confidence, who cares if you are shooting 70 or 100.  I could never hit those klunky SGI irons, even when I was struggling last summer for the most part.     

• Like 1

I was JUST having this discussion with some buddies based on my recent testing of both...

Ive been gaming the new ZX5s since its release, so about 8-9 months now in the bag. Coming from Z585s, it was a natural transition with minimal break-in period, albeit different shafts.

Few weeks ago, I decided to try a set of ZX7s and a set of MP20 MMCs to test against the ZX5s. (Ive tried both HMBs last year as well as MBs this year, but never MMCs).

Few thoughts to share...

1. Distance is about same and very predictable. ZX7s and MMCs are within few yards of each other, and ZX5s are at least 1/2 club longer if not full club. Obviously lofts are bit stronger on ZX5s, although mine are bent 1 degree weaker. I do feel like MMCs requires bit more effort to get the same distance as ZX7s, but I think its mainly just perception. When compared to similarly struck shots with equal swing speed, they both carry exactly the same... I just feel like Im able to swing the ZX7s about 1-2 mph faster with similar effort.

2. Turf interaction is almost exactly the same. Yes, the Srixons have the V-Sole which helps with certain shots but Mizuno have always been great at grinds too. Maybe the ZX7s are touch more playable out of buried thick rough, but I find MMCs to be slightly better at really tight conditions.

3. Softness winner goes to ZX7s, but only just. I feel like its not a comparison of softness, but rather what KIND of soft... MMCs have more of a meaty softness while ZX7s I would call more spongy soft. I think a lot of that has to do with metals used, and I think all newer Mizunos which uses the HD Grain Forged all share similar feel. MMCs feel few grams heavier to me. I dunno if thats perception or reality, but I can only describe the difference in feel related to the weight of the head. Just has that meatier launch compared to the ZX7s.

4. Forgiveness and Playbility winner is ZX7s, but once again JUST. Maybe its opticals, but longer blade length of the ZX7s are bit more confidence inspiring for my TOE misses, but I do find MMCs to be very surprising on how forgiving it is on mishits. Shots that I feel like should have never gotten to the target seems to carry longer than expected, and lateral misses are about the same. Obviously, these arent as forgiving as the ZX5s, but whether you are 10 yards short or 5 yards short, misses are misses, and these do fairly good job of hiding less than perfect hits. The most notable differences between the two comes in the MID IRONS. I dont play 3-4 irons, so 5 iron is the longest iron in each sets, but I feel like ZX7s are bit more forgiving in the 5-6 irons than the MMCs. Once again, maybe its the longer blade length, but I would prob opt for HMBs in the mid-irons for my game.

5. Looks goes to MMCs for me, as longer I look at ZX7s side by side, I find them to be slightly too busy in the cavity. Previous owner removed all the paint fill on the ZX7s which looks great but the new MP20 MMCs are the best version of these multi-material design Mizuno has made to date. Having said this, I wish Mizuno did the satin finish instead of the chrome, but thats just my personal preference and does not take away from how clean they look. Slight downside to the ZX7s are they are SO soft that after few rounds, they show their wear and tear really quickly.

So... which one will I game for the remainder of the season? Thats the dilemma which has me scratching my head before every round... Played slightly longer course yesterday so I took the ZX5s out. If I were to play my home course which isnt particularly long but really firm and fast greens, I prefer either the ZX7s or MMCs. If I had to just choose one... It would have to be the ZX7s however. Its the right balance of all things considered, in my opinion.

IMG_7963.JPG

Edited by Gohigh
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, hypergolf said:

There were last 2 brand new sets on sale in our local store. Dirt cheap as well. So I picked up one anyway and the other set was taken by another lucky buyer. 

Can't say I blame you!

Mizuno ST-Z 9.5  HZRDUS RDX blue 60  6.0

Titleist 917f2 16.5 (C1)  Aldila Rogue silver 70s

Ping G410 19  Aldila Rogue black 85s

PXG Gen 3  0311T  4-P  Elevate Tour stiff

Ping Glide Stealth 2.0  52/12, 58/10

Odyssey White Hot OG Rossie 34.25"

Snell MTB 

Titleist Players 4+

I haven't hit the ZX7, but I tried really hard to stay in a set of 785's a couple seasons ago. For whatever reason I could not generate enough backspin from them and it made playing out of the rough a total nightmare. I'm in the MMC now and although they aren't crazy forgiving, good shots are very consistent for yardage and I feel like I can depend on them better. 

SIM2 8*, Diamana ZF 70TX

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

Flash SZ 18°, VTS Silver 8x
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M
PXG Closer Gen 2  
Tour BX

3 hours ago, GooseHook said:

I haven't hit the ZX7, but I tried really hard to stay in a set of 785's a couple seasons ago. For whatever reason I could not generate enough backspin from them and it made playing out of the rough a total nightmare. I'm in the MMC now and although they aren't crazy forgiving, good shots are very consistent for yardage and I feel like I can depend on them better. 

Seems like it's neck to neck between these two. The only reason why I bought the MMC as a spare is because I am currently using Srixon Z Forged. Thought it would be more fun to have one set of each brand to play around with. 

Keep the comments coming guys. Who knows... I might just purchase one more set of ZX7 as well... LOL

Edited by hypergolf
  • Haha 1

Ball - Srixon Z Star

35 minutes ago, GJR10 said:

Very Similar in forgiveness and distance but MMC look better and x7 get through the tour better in my opinion 

Did you mean turf or tour? Did you mean ZX7 gets through the turf better or ZX7 is more popular in tour?

Edited by hypergolf

Ball - Srixon Z Star

Can't speak specifically to the MMC, but I sold a set of MP-20 HMB to get the ZX7 and I haven't looked back.  I've been a die hard Mizuno guy for some time and tried the ZX7 on a whim at a local shop.  I've never hit Srixon clubs, but consider me a convert.  They feel every bit as good as any Mizuno I've played.  I've found them to be pretty forgiving considering their profile, as well. Probably has less to do with the clubs, but I've posted two personal best scores this summer.  Coincidence!? Probably... ;-)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HackerDad78 said:

Can't speak specifically to the MMC, but I sold a set of MP-20 HMB to get the ZX7 and I haven't looked back.  I've been a die hard Mizuno guy for some time and tried the ZX7 on a whim at a local shop.  I've never hit Srixon clubs, but consider me a convert.  They feel every bit as good as any Mizuno I've played.  I've found them to be pretty forgiving considering their profile, as well. Probably has less to do with the clubs, but I've posted two personal best scores this summer.  Coincidence!? Probably... 😉

I borrowed my instructor's HMB set for a round: they were really inconsistent compared to my MMC set.  The heads felt light: I was super quick with them and flat-out missed a lot of swings.  For whatever reason, they didn't work for me and felt like a completely different brand.  

Your ZX7 is amazing I am sure (I love Srixon) but definitely don't pass up a chance to try whatever MMC is coming out next. They are such sweet clubs.  

ive owned them both (miz last year srixon this year)

Both awesome.   I currently play ZX7 and have all year.  I really really like them.  But I really loved the mizunos - Wanted to order another set but would have taken too long.

The Looks go to Mizuno - Feel to Mizuno - Distance to Srixon - Forgiveness slight to Srixon.  Shotmaking - Same on both  .. can hook on demand A bit tougher to cut the srixon but its possible.   

I would have no problem playing either and my scores would be the same.  My sweet spot would have been MMC with $Taper.

TITLEIST TSI3 10 TOUR AD DI6

TITLEIST TSI2 15 TOUR AD DI7

SRIXON ZX7 3-PW PX ZL 6.0

ZIPCORE 52 56 60 DG TOUR ISSUE 

BETTINARDI QUEEN BEE

1 hour ago, tigerfan23 said:

ive owned them both (miz last year srixon this year)

Both awesome.   I currently play ZX7 and have all year.  I really really like them.  But I really loved the mizunos - Wanted to order another set but would have taken too long.

The Looks go to Mizuno - Feel to Mizuno - Distance to Srixon - Forgiveness slight to Srixon.  Shotmaking - Same on both  .. can hook on demand A bit tougher to cut the srixon but its possible.   

I would have no problem playing either and my scores would be the same.  My sweet spot would have been MMC with $Taper.

Which shaft did you go with zx7? Modus 120?

Also when you say srixon had distance edge, are we talking about one club length difference or just a couple yards?

Edited by hypergolf

Ball - Srixon Z Star

8 hours ago, hypergolf said:

Which shaft did you go with zx7? Modus 120?

Also when you say srixon had distance edge, are we talking about one club length difference or just a couple yards?

stock because I didn't want to wait for custom order modus which I don't like.

and a couple yards only.  Especially with the short irons.  Long irons were similar.

• Thanks 1

TITLEIST TSI3 10 TOUR AD DI6

TITLEIST TSI2 15 TOUR AD DI7

SRIXON ZX7 3-PW PX ZL 6.0

ZIPCORE 52 56 60 DG TOUR ISSUE 

BETTINARDI QUEEN BEE

Has anyone tried both Modus 120 and KBS $ Taper on both these heads?

Ball - Srixon Z Star

• 2 weeks later...

I would say that objectively neither one is better than the other.

I would also say that while they are similar in several ways, they also have a few differences which should make it possible to determine which one is a better fit for a particular golfer.

For me the MMC's are the better fit based on sole design, feel, and appearance from address. Obviously the opposite is true for some other golfers.

I was a big Mizuno fan for many years but when the 745's came out I fell in love with the Srixons. I had three sets and loved them every time. I was just a ho. I have also owned two sets of 765's and one set of 785's and really enjoyed them as well. When the ZX7's came out I figured they might be the best Srixons yet. I was very surprised when they turned out to be my least favorite Srixon iron.

I dearly love my MP-20 MMC's; they are truly one of my favorite sets of irons ever. I am a ho no longer. 

The only thing I would change about my setup is that I over-thought my order when I placed it. I ordered a HMB 4 iron and a T20 46* pw. In hindsight I wish I would have just ordered 4-pw mmc's.

But I will say again that objectively neither iron is better than the other, one will just be a better fit for a particular golfer.  

• Like 2

TSi2 9° 

TS2 3w 15°, TS2 3h 19° tensei blue

MP-20 hmb 4i, MP-20 mmc 5-9i, T-20 46° modus 105 

SM8 52.08°, SM5 58.08°m dg  s200

Byron Morgan DH89 34" iomic