Ryder Cup 2020/21 (***NO COVID/POLITICS***)

MattyO1984

5 minutes ago, elcgolf said:

Sure there have been blowhards in years past on the European teams as well. Poulter being the best example. But never has there been a majority, not do I remember Europeans fans ever yelling epitaphs at players like “F&@$ you”, “Choke a&$hole”, or  “hit it in the water”, during players backswings. It’s a silly golf tournament that means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme things, it’s shocking people are willing to resort to such lows, and jeopardize their and their countries respectability during entertainment events. 

I don’t know why their behavior is so appalling to you if it’s just a silly tourney that means absolutely nothing.

why are you even watching it 

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, elcgolf said:

I have to say that as an American, I’m utterly disappointed in the spectacle that has become the US presence at the Ruder cup. From boisterous and belligerent fans to antagonist players, I find this competition hard to even watch. Golf is supposed to be a gentleman’s game, but this feels like a high school pep rally with alcohol. I know the US is eager to win, but where’s the class and decorum that should be associated with an international team event. Granted, there as the exceptions, Xander, Spieth, Stricker, Dustin, and Colin; but otherwise, I find the rest borderline embarrassing. It’s like the crowd and part of the team adopted the tenet that fake macho-ism is a sign of grit and toughness, boisterous is a substitute for confidence, and strong talk is what defines the character of a man. For tonight, I hope Stricker sits the players down and makes them watch tapes of Nicklaus, Palmer, Faldo, and Watson to instill what’s winning with class looks like. 

dear diary 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, elcgolf said:

I have to say that as an American, I’m utterly disappointed in the spectacle that has become the US presence at the Ruder cup. From boisterous and belligerent fans to antagonist players, I find this competition hard to even watch. Golf is supposed to be a gentleman’s game, but this feels like a high school pep rally with alcohol. I know the US is eager to win, but where’s the class and decorum that should be associated with an international team event. Granted, there as the exceptions, Xander, Spieth, Stricker, Dustin, and Colin; but otherwise, I find the rest borderline embarrassing. It’s like the crowd and part of the team adopted the tenet that fake macho-ism is a sign of grit and toughness, boisterous is a substitute for confidence, and strong talk is what defines the character of a man. For tonight, I hope Stricker sits the players down and makes them watch tapes of Nicklaus, Palmer, Faldo, and Watson to instill what’s winning with class looks like. 

Sorry, but "lighten up Francis". The Europeans are no better in Europe than the Americans are in the US. You can complain about that it makes you happy, but really, that is just what the RC is. I choose to enjoy it. It isn't going to change. The RC is never going to be Augusta. Just isn't. There's a lot of drinks, not cream cheese and pimentos here. This is an environment that far more resembles the Stanley Cup, or soccer's World Cup than it does a golf tournament. You can either feel bad about that, or just celebrate it. To me, choosing one seems better than choosing the other.

• Like 2

Titleist TSi2 10.75* ~ Tensei AV Blue

Titleist TSi2 15* ~ Tensei AV Blue

Titleist TSi2 18* ~ Tensei AV Blue

Titleist TSi2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Blue

Mizuno MP-20 MMC, 4 - PW ~ KBS $-Taper 120

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST Pured

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST Pured

Scotty Special Select Newport 2.5

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 ball

1 hour ago, golfgirlrobin said:

There was supposed to be a pinstripe pair and a pair with little Ryder Cup trophies all over them. They’re both awful so I’m wondering if no one wanted to wear them. 

The caddies have been better dressed than the players.

G410 Plus 9* Graphite Design Tour AD XC 6
Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 16.5* Ventus 6

Taylormade Sim2 Rescue 4 Speeder Motore HB 9.8 Tour Spec
PXG 0211 5-PW Nippon 950GH 
Callaway MD5 48* S Grind KBS-TourV

Callaway MD5 52* S Grind KBS-Tour 610
Callaway MD PM Grind 58* KBS-TourV, 64* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Scotty Cameron Phantom X #8
Titleist AVX

6 minutes ago, elcgolf said:

Sure there have been blowhards in years past on the European teams as well. Poulter being the best example. But never has there been a majority, not do I remember Europeans fans ever yelling epitaphs at players like “F&@$ you”, “Choke a&$hole”, or  “hit it in the water”, during players backswings. It’s a silly golf tournament that means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme things, it’s shocking people are willing to resort to such lows, and jeopardize their and their countries respectability during entertainment events. 

I’m 100% aligned with you as far as a preference for how fans should conduct themselves. A great deal of the behavior is idiotic. And to keep from being too annoyed, I’m just starting to view the RC as a typical team event in other sports. 

The players get caught up in it at times. 

I’d say the US fans outpace the buffoonery of the Euro fans. By far in tour events but by a shade at the RC. But as far as the RC, they aren’t too far behind ; )

And aren’t you exaggerating when you say fans are yelling Fyou in players backswings? Or even at all? I heard a couple of “get in the bushes” after a ball was struck. But nothing to ye extent you’re describing. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, elcgolf said:

Lol

It's a golf exhibition.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, toddyc said:

I don’t know why their behavior is so appalling to you if it’s just a silly tourney that means absolutely nothing.

why are you even watching it 

Because I like watching golf, duh. There’s nothing life or death about sports, hence the silly comment. Players and fans acting like there’s some existential significance to US or Europe winning the Ryder Cup, or more importantly, that they’d jeopardize their credibility over something that the public will no longer care about on Monday morning, just seems shortsighted. Calling out fan and player behavior doesn’t mean you don’t appreciate the play or the game, it’s these critiques that help instill credibility and maintain the integrity. It’s like the story about when Palmer called Tiger after his slump in 98 and was caught swearing on camera a bunch of times, and said “people, notably kids, look up to you, be better!”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, bobfoster said:

I must say, Strickler is almost the ideal RC captain. His understanding of strategy, tactics, and psychology has just been superlative. Yes, he had some great people to work with, but he way maximized their effectiveness. Kudos to Steve. 

That's a little bit of a reach. You don't think the European players have something to do with the outcome?

What if they played better and won more matches, how would you describe his "strategy" then?

"Everybody's got a strategy until they get punched in the mouth" -- Mike Tyson

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, elcgolf said:

Because I like watching golf, duh. There’s nothing life or death about sports, hence the silly comment. Players and fans acting like there’s some existential significance to US or Europe winning the Ryder Cup, or more importantly, that they’d jeopardize their credibility over something that the public will no longer care about on Monday morning, just seems shortsighted. Calling out fan and player behavior doesn’t mean you don’t appreciate the play or the game, it’s these critiques that help instill credibility and maintain the integrity. It’s like the story about when Palmer called Tiger after his slump in 98 and was caught swearing on camera a bunch of times, and said “people, notably kids, look up to you, be better!”

Do you actually like watching golf because it doesn’t sound like it

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Soloman1 said:

That's a little bit of a reach. You don't think the European players have something to do with the outcome?

Absolutely the players have everything to do with the outcome. 

Stricker is the guy figuring out the strengths and weaknesses of the Euro players and the US players.  So far it's working for him.

32 minutes ago, elcgolf said:

These are corporatized  entities  competing -no "country" identity is involved except for false ideolgies.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

What if they played better and won more matches, how would you describe his "strategy" then?

"Everybody's got a strategy until they get punched in the mouth" -- Mike Tyson

But they didn't play better. They didn't win more matches. And I didn't just say strategy, I said strategy, tactics, and psychology. Different parings could have lead to far different outcomes. The essence of someone that is really good at what they do is that you don't even notice how good they are. They make the perfect look normal. 

Want a quote?

"It don't mean nothin' 'till you prove it all night". -- Hunter Thompson.

Stricker proved it all night. Great selections. Great pairings. Great choices. And at the end of the day what matters is not anyone's opinions, it is this: 11 - 5 after two days. 

Titleist TSi2 10.75* ~ Tensei AV Blue

Titleist TSi2 15* ~ Tensei AV Blue

Titleist TSi2 18* ~ Tensei AV Blue

Titleist TSi2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Blue

Mizuno MP-20 MMC, 4 - PW ~ KBS $-Taper 120

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST Pured

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST Pured

Scotty Special Select Newport 2.5

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 ball

7 minutes ago, khalespace said:

Who was better than Collin? He carried the team in fourballs today. I noticed Collin was longer than DJ on a few occasions. 

I think Hovland could beat him, Collin was kinda crappy on the front nine looked gassed. Then he hit the NOS and was amazing but in this incoherent rambling I’m saying there’s a chance.