Ryder Cup 2020/21 (***NO COVID/POLITICS***)

MattyO1984

Does Rory no longer care, or have too many guys caught up to and surpassed him? Or is it the latter leading to the former ?

Ping G400 10.5 Kuro Kage TiNi 60
Taylormade M2 3 HL FW Kuro Kage TiNi 70  
Ping G410 #4 Tensei CK Pro Blue Hybrid 80
Mizuno JPX-921 SEL 4-PW Modus 120
Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 & 60.5 KBS 610
Ping Anser 2 Milled
NDMC Grips
Titleist ProV1x 
UA Jordan Spieth 2

26 minutes ago, raynorfan1 said:

Totally untrue. Ben Crenshaw was the consulting architect of record for The Country Club for several years as the club prepared for the event. The course was not only setup but in some cases specifically renovated to create an advantage for the US team. Course selection and setup has always been part of Ryder Cup strategy.

Yeah remember when seve put a thick band of rough about 290 yards out on a par 5 at valdaramma (sp?) Because the US was a longer hitting team and he wanted to take away their advantage of getting on in 2 with an iron. 

• Like 1

Ping Anser 2 Milled
NDMC Grips
Titleist ProV1x 
UA Jordan Spieth 2

3 minutes ago, JD3 said:

Does Rory no longer care, or have too many guys caught up to and surpassed him? Or is it the latter leading to the former ?

I love Rory but my jaw dropped when I heard him on Fehrety. David asked him "do you still play golf for fun"? Rory said "no". I understand he plays golf for a living but it was the way he answered. It was painful sounding, like golf wasn't fun at all. It was kind of sad. 

30 minutes ago, raynorfan1 said:

Totally untrue. Ben Crenshaw was the consulting architect of record for The Country Club for several years as the club prepared for the event. The course was not only setup but in some cases specifically renovated to create an advantage for the US team. Course selection and setup has always been part of Ryder Cup strategy.

Exactly. It’s fairly straightforward and common. We’ve done it at our course for our interclub home matches for 20+ years. (Tee selection and hole locations.) We had one (bad) Captain ask for difficult locations throughout and this led to fewer birdies made by our team than typical. (It often takes birdies to win holes.) He heard about it from the guys. 

Edited by mark m

Fit at Totally Driven:
Titleist TS3 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

33 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

You said that Stricker's use of "strategy, tactics and psychology was superlative."

I said: "That's a little bit of a reach. You don't think the European players have something to do with the outcome? What if they played better and won more matches, how would you describe his 'strategy' then?"

That is not demeaning or denigrating anyone. I trust Stricker is a fine guy. It's about this "strategy, tactics and psychology." I don't think any Ryder Cup captain is planning D-Day or mapping out plays on the sideline.

When you have eight players in the top 10 world ranking and the other team has only one, you're probably going to win with or without pods, if that's what you mean by "tactics."

Rory stated earlier that the role of captain is overrated.  Then he went out and played as though to clarify his statement.

• Like 1
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

4 minutes ago, miamistomp said:

Rory is a very wealthy adult with a family. He has had an excellent career and maybe he is just burned out

Beating the field is no longer easy for him anymore. Rahm, Koepka, Bryson, Morikawa, and others etc etc have all the game in the world and then some; Rahm has a short game Rory will never have, Bryson hits it farther, Koepka is just as long and putts better and Morikawas mental toughness is off the charts. Tiger had the will to come back and win when his physical advantages we're surpassed , but Rory I have serious doubts about him swallowing his pride and sucking it up to work on his game enough.

Edited by JD3

Ping Anser 2 Milled
NDMC Grips
Titleist ProV1x 
UA Jordan Spieth 2

3 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Somebody should set up one those old school grills off the green and pass JT a hot dog and a Bud to munch while he waits to putt 

DEA9D57D-B4C1-474C-9713-04231455F901.jpeg

That’s a funny one.  I’m torn.  It certainly goes against my personal convictions…..but I don’t think it makes them monsters either.  Kind of like hoodies , and/or booing the opposite team.  

• Like 1

Epic Speed triple diamond 8.7 TB70 TX

TM 300 mini 13.5 Tensei CK blue 80TX 

TM sim max 18 Aldila rogue proto 85TX 

Titleist T100 4-gap MMT 125 TX 

Edel  SMS 54 58 MMT 125 TX ( testing ) 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

Gotta love the British press, especially The Mail. It's a rag but fun to read for some comic relief. 

I didn't much like the beer thing but to claim it's the "50000 reason of Americans low class" while trying to tie the fans into is is pretty disingenuous. Anyone claiming here (they have) the American fans are more classless than Euro fans (they aren't) is blinded by homerism. I don't like seeing it from players though. Fans are what they are but it's equally bad during Ryder Cups on both sides of the pond. 

1 hour ago, Bunkersarebigcups said:

From now on, before every important round of golf, I will rewatch the clip of Lowry (and Hatton) demolishing Finau and English.

He was fired up. Gotta love him man. Wears his heart on his sleeve.

edit: tbh, I'd have had Lowry out first. He will be so hard to beat today.

Yeah. I just became a fan of Lowry. Seems like a genuine nice dude. 

1 minute ago, Soloman1 said:

I think the strategy was to win, but I could be wrong. I'm sure bob will be around soon to scold me.

Right.  Thats what I thought it was too    , which is a bit like when my wife scolds me for my teaching methods.  Which includes the phrase  “ just do it! -   Like this …”

as I quickly do the task myself.    Now I can’t really call that teaching anyone …. And I don’t think we can call “ go win “ a strategy.  More like a hope , or a mantra.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawkeye77 said:

I'm sure it will be dissected to death and the Euros will take a look, but there was a fair amount of criticism of the Euro selection process running too long (through the BMW) and having 9 automatics and only 3 Captain's picks.  I'm sure the length of the qualifying period was an issue both ways with the extra year.  It will be interesting to see what they change, because I'm sure something will change.  The disruption of schedules all the way around with the PGA Tour driving the schedule bus with compacting the major schedule, focus on the ExFinch Cup and screwing up things related to that and the Olympics had its impacts on the Euro scheduling as well and on players' opportunities over the course of a longer season to play in certain events.

At the heart of it all, they need some talent to start emerging - would love to see it.

I don't think the Euro's will panic. one bad tournament is no big deal, particularly in the weird year it was. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawkeye77 said:

I'm sure it will be dissected to death and the Euros will take a look, but there was a fair amount of criticism of the Euro selection process running too long (through the BMW) and having 9 automatics and only 3 Captain's picks.  I'm sure the length of the qualifying period was an issue both ways with the extra year.  It will be interesting to see what they change, because I'm sure something will change.  The disruption of schedules all the way around with the PGA Tour driving the schedule bus with compacting the major schedule, focus on the ExFinch Cup and screwing up things related to that and the Olympics had its impacts on the Euro scheduling as well and on players' opportunities over the course of a longer season to play in certain events.

At the heart of it all, they need some talent to start emerging - would love to see it.

Yeah they need more picks. Ppulter sucks, but Lowry and Garcia need to be on the team. 

Edited by JD3

Ping Anser 2 Milled
NDMC Grips
Titleist ProV1x 
UA Jordan Spieth 2

21 minutes ago, DanoCanuck said:

I love Rory but my jaw dropped when I heard him on Fehrety. David asked him "do you still play golf for fun"? Rory said "no". I understand he plays golf for a living but it was the way he answered. It was painful sounding, like golf wasn't fun at all. It was kind of sad. 

I think with that it depends on what or how you value fun.  I’ve never played it for fun.  Golf is a frustrating game. No fun in it.  Until after - if you win.    Fun is watching a football game like the Clemson NC state game last night.  No work involved.  No real investment. You invest too much in competitive golf to call it fun.  Theres enjoyment in competition. But I don’t think it’s “ fun”.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 2

Some changes and some things the same for me after two days:

I still like Westwood and Rory

Like Lowery even more than before

New found respect for Rahm

Still hate Poulter and Garcia, but respect their RC history 

Think Xander and Colin are for real

Appreciate BAD’s commitment to the RC experience, the team, and to winning 

Think some on Team USA should hide the beers on the first tee

8 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Ha! Haven’t had a Bud in ages but one sip and I’m back in High School. 

I can still recite the mantra 

67564112-583A-4A9C-901E-25CE0EE99CEC.jpeg

Ah yes, The headache beer

This is the one we grew up on-my grandfather used to give us some while watching baseball or Have Gun Will Travel

Brewed in Bushwick ( building is now condos )

Rheingold-Beer-ad.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Ha! Haven’t had a Bud in ages but one sip and I’m back in High School. 

I can still recite the mantra 

67564112-583A-4A9C-901E-25CE0EE99CEC.jpeg

Actually, I think the last time I had a Bud, I was in school too. Off-licence up the road used to sell booze to anyone, no questions asked. Closed down years ago and is now a house, but I didn't care by then because I was over 18!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MUNIGRIT said:

Man they are soft over there. Even the euro team has to be embarrassed by those headlines.

The daily mail isn't worth reading, it's not a paper we are proud of at all😂

Driver - Taylormade SIM 10.5°

3 wood - Titleist 910f 15°

Hybrid- Titleist 910h°

Irons - Mizuno 919 Tour 4 - PW

Wedges - Titleist SM7 51 / 55 / 60 DG

Putter - Yes! Callie

Ball - Titleist Pro v1x

39 minutes ago, DanoCanuck said:

Ask a lot of pros you’ll get similar answers. Sure there’s times it is fun, but imagine being Rory for a minute. Put yourself in his shoes. I know Rory quite well, not once have I ever felt like trading places with him. Would I love his golf game? Duh! But all the other stuff, the media and public hammer him for being what one of the best players in the world? I don’t envy it at all.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, munichop said:

Regarding giving short putts, maybe if your opponent has won a major you shouldn’t piss him off by making him putt a kick in. JT, Bryson, and Lowry all used it to fuel their fire and they all won their match.  And do you really want to win a hole because a gust of wind made a 2 ft putt miss?

Yes I do. I don’t care how I win as long as I win. Tbh I’ll screw with opponents during match play situations. If the situation arises early in the round to concede a three, four, five footer to tie I’ll give it. Seriously. Two reasons then when there’s a tap in on the next couple holes I’ll ask to see it. OR. Later in the round when a three footer matters it’ll be in their head “oh maybe he’ll give this too me” TBH if you can’t handle that level of pettiness and play you’re game, you’re not any good anyways. In the rounds of 64 it works, doesn’t usually do much in the later rounds.