Cost of a golf club membership

Young professional rate is $89 a month (golf rounds only, no restrictions). Member rate for golf balls is $3 buckets and cart fee (if I ride) is $17 for 18 holes. 

SE US, decent public track.

Rotate the following:

Titliest TSR2 10* (@C1) Ventus TR Black 6X 

Titliest TSR2 16.5* (@A1) Fuji Speeder 8.3TS X

Titliest TSR2 21* (@A1) Fuji Atmos Blue 8X

Titliest 818H2 21* (@B3) Fuji Atmos Black 9X

Srixon ZXU 18*, ZX5 3-4, ZX7 5-PW

C-taper 125 S+ PVD Black, BBFCO "Black Ice Ice Ferrule", Pure DTX Purple Std +4 wraps

Cleveland RTX6 Raw 50*Mid Ctaper 130X, 54* Full S400 Onyx, 58* Low S400 Onyx

Mizzy MCraft VI 36.5" SS Pistol 1.0

Titliest PV1

• 2 months later...
On 9/13/2021 at 12:17 PM, goaliedad30 said:

In Northern California, private clubs have initiation fees ranging from $30,000 to $400,000. Monthly dues tend to run between $900-$1500. Most have monthly or quarterly F&B minimums as well (ours is $250/qtr).

That is all very true but there is at least one exception:  Saratoga CC.  It is a 9 hole course (so that explains the difference for the most part) but it is aroud $6-9K for initiation, then $500-800 per month (individual v family membership).  Social (food) minimums are twice per year, $700 or so each time.

Which in this area goes down as affordable, sadly.  

I belong to one in the midwest and one in the southwest.  Both run about $1000/month in dues.  The one in the midwest has a modest downstroke, the initiation fee for the one in the southwest has increased meaningfully since I have joined.  The vary in the ticky tacky charges like cart programs, lockers and minimums.  Neither would ever be confused with a top 100 course, but both are very well groomed and challenging tracks with generally excellent greens.

Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

Here's costs for storied mid-tier country club in St. Louis area. Well groomed course and well run operation. These costs are roughly median for area:

Initiation fee:* Regular  (40+ years of age) $15,000 / Corporate $12,000 - brings no equity / Intermediate (under 40) $9,000

Monthly total fee: $860 (includes dues, facility and service charges, and small golf shop charge).

Annual misc fees: $220

*lump sum payment of initiation brings three months of no dues.

Also: Cart fee for 18 holes is $26 a person / Caddie base rate for 18 holes $35 a bag

===============

Note: Initiation fees for Big Four clubs in area all are rumored to be north of $60,000 (hard for us peasants to find out exact number). And, there's a waiting list for each; few mid-tier clubs have waiting lists.

Semi-private where I belong: These are the so-called full memberships (full golf, cart and range) on an annual basis. Assorted discount card memberships also.

• Premium Level -  couple (family) $5,700 / individual $3,400
  • Select Level - couple (family) $3,295 / single $2,195 (select = restrictions on weekend play times)

Illinois near St. Louis has several semi-privates, including one that shut down five years ago. These residential developments hoped eventually to take the club private, but most ended up with unsold lots, or non-golfer home buyers 😪; golf fees from outsiders keep courses afloat. (These are  nice courses, but it's just golf - no swimming pool or polo or tennis)

Edited by ChipNRun
  • Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Private club, North Scottsdale AZ

Initiation $75,000 (recently raised to $95,000). $1400/month membership fee plus cart fees. Every homeowner has to pay the one time initiation when closing on the home. Monthly will depend on what type of membership you get.  Fees includes golf, pools, tennis, racketball, and gym. There is a yearly F&B minimum. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/13/2021 at 2:31 PM, MtlJeff said:

In Montreal you can be a member at pretty nice clubs for no initiation and maybe 6-7K a year everything included (bar bill + dues)

"high" end clubs maybe there will be a 5-6K initiation but dues roughly the same

"highest" end clubs , like where they sacrifice virgins etc...maybe a 20K ~ initiation

Nice but don't you deal with limited season play?

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

58 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Nice but don't you deal with limited season play?

Oh yeah for sure--Basically May 1st to Mid-November at latest.

That being said Montreal CC's are still fairly inexpensive when compared to say , Toronto area.

My club the full adult rate is 3999 + about another 500 or so in housekeeping stuff. But it's a really really nice course. It works out to 70-80$ a round --cheaper than what some public courses charge on Saturdays for example

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

9 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

Oh yeah for sure--Basically May 1st to Mid-November at latest.

That being said Montreal CC's are still fairly inexpensive when compared to say , Toronto area.

My club the full adult rate is 3999 + about another 500 or so in housekeeping stuff. But it's a really really nice course. It works out to 70-80$ a round --cheaper than what some public courses charge on Saturdays for example

That's a good rate. 

I grew up in 4-season snow country Midwest, on a farm... played hockey and football.  NO golf till 40yrs old, and in California.  Now-a-days, I play in SoTX, AZ and HI as well as CA, so golf memberships are year around, making high club costs less staggering.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

I am a member of a semi-private course approximately 45 miles west of Toronto. My full unrestricted membership is about $2500 per year. I rent an apartment in the middle of the golf course (Original owners house) so have rather expensive club storage, but it comes with a parking spot, bedroom, kitchen 😀😀😀.

• Like 1

I ran the aggregate of 5 clubs I know of in a major metro area. The initiation from the start of covid to today has increased 40-45%, however the dues has only increased less than 10%. They hit you up front, which minimizes the hit to present members and pays for the capex costs to minimize assessments.

A real danger could be clubs who can get VERY cheap loans to pay for capex projects right now will vote for an assessment. Then in 2-3 years we have a recession and they lose members because of this extra cost burden. Reasonable dues is like advertising your monthly payment on a lease for your car, however it doesn't tell you $8,749 is due at signing!

When I looked into pricing at my one & only local private club at the start of COVID, the initiation fee was around $7,000 + $400 month dues + $250 a quarter for F&B.  It includes golf, pool, tennis, small exercise room, and dining.  I was told at the time the club frequently takes 50% off the initiation fee to recruit new members.  I'm sure there's a waiting list now and higher prices. 

On 9/13/2021 at 11:59 AM, playit said:

What does a membership cost in your area? Is it public / daily fee access or country club?

I just checked one around here and it's almost $500/month but it's a pretty upscale country club with lots of facilities, including a restaurant. That doesn't include cart fee if you ride.

that is about what our course is; the most inexpensive private club in the DFW area that I am aware of.  

It all depends on what people are willing and able to pay, I suppose.  Costs to run a course can't vary that much from region to region, but membership sure can!  I would expect that the top country club in Birmingham AL would cost a fraction of the top CC in Nashville or Atlanta.  

On 12/10/2021 at 3:31 PM, ChipNRun said:

Here's costs for storied mid-tier country club in St. Louis area. Well groomed course and well run operation. These costs are roughly median for area:

Initiation fee:* Regular  (40+ years of age) $15,000 / Corporate $12,000 - brings no equity / Intermediate (under 40) $9,000

Monthly total fee: $860 (includes dues, facility and service charges, and small golf shop charge).

*lump sum payment of initiation brings three months of no dues.

Also: Cart fee for 18 holes is $26 a person / Caddie base rate for 18 holes $35 a bag

===============

Note: Initiation fees for Big Four clubs in area all are rumored to be north of $60,000 (hard for us peasants to find out exact number). And, there's a waiting list for each; few mid-tier clubs have waiting lists.

Semi-private where I belong: These are the so-called full memberships (full golf, cart and range) on an annual basis. Assorted discount card memberships also.

• Premium Level -  couple (family) $5,700 / individual $3,400
  • Select Level - couple (family) $3,295 / single $2,195 (select = restrictions on weekend play times)

Illinois near St. Louis has several semi-privates, including one that shut down five years ago. These residential developments hoped eventually to take the club private, but most ended up with unsold lots, or non-golfer home buyers 😪; golf fees from outsiders keep courses afloat. (These are  nice courses, but it's just golf - no swimming pool or polo or tennis)

$60k wouldn't even get you into the top 12 or 15 private clubs in DFW.  Sounds like a deal!  On the other hand, could be expensive for Billings, MT!  

On 12/10/2021 at 3:31 PM, ChipNRun said:

(and so on in original Dec. 10 posting...)

Again, the club I described is mid-tier. I was approached about possibly joining. So I have exact figures.

3 hours ago, RoyalMustang said:

$60k wouldn't even get you into the top 12 or 15 private clubs in DFW.  Sounds like a deal!  On the other hand, could be expensive for Billings, MT!  

For the Big Four in St. Louis area, I'm told $60K is a good estimate. For the mid-tiers, lots of variance on initiations.

And for mid-tier clubs, economic blips can influence the fee. The Great Recession (circa 2008) caused the Initiation Fee to dip seriously for a couple of years, then rebound; also, clubs with waiting lists have higher initiations.

@RoyalMustang, do you have any idea if the club's organizational structure influences DFW initiation fees? If it's a stand-alone country club, are fees higher than if the country club is part of a larger housing development?

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

On 9/13/2021 at 12:05 PM, rooski said:

Down in the Rogue Valley I have a single choice if I want to join a country club. It's more of a social club instead of a golf club and the course is meh at best, maybe #4 in the area.

I'm 28 and even in the junior executive it was nearing $450 a month (incl. food) on top of initiation for a few thousand and I just couldn't justify it, the course is not nearly nice enough to justify that cost. I offered to pay two years up front in cash for a break in dues but they were entirely unwilling to move on their ridiculous number so figured it just wasn't the place for me.

I'm on the waiting list for a public course "membership" that will be $160 a month or so with no initiation and includes the best course in the area as well as a really nice 9 holer in a retirement community ran by the same company.

I'd rather go private but unfortunately the options just don't exist down here

Centennial has a wait list for annual memberships?  That's a bummer.  How long a wait is it?  I know both Brian Sacket and Chris Daggitt.  😉

As far as Quail Point, I remember when a crazed senior yelled at me for holding him up.  We were standing on the tee box of a par 3 and he screamed for me to hit.  I asked him if he could see the people putting out on the green.  That made him more mad.  He walked towards me, but turned around quickly when I put my head down and walked quickly towards him.  I told him to wait patiently like the rest of us.  He sat in his cart and grumbled.  He grumbled more when his wife told him I was right. 🙂

If Centennial is 1, Eagle Point 2 and Rogue is 4, what is your #3?  

Our local 9-hole goat track is $900 year.  There are two other courses in the area and they are run by the same folks who run the muni.  $2500 a year gets you unlimited play on all three courses IIRC. 

We also have a CC.  The initiation ranges anywhere from $0-$5K.  The monthly dues vary by age.  The top rate for folks 50+ is a little over $400 a month with another $80 a month for F/B.  There are also extra fees for cart parking, push cart storage, locker, club storage, range balls and use of their carts.  There used to be a sand fee as well, but it's been added to the monthly dues.    

Edited by soregongolfer

4 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

Again, the club I described is mid-tier. I was approached about possibly joining. So I have exact figures.

For the Big Four in St. Louis area, I'm told $60K is a good estimate. For the mid-tiers, lots of variance on initiations.

And for mid-tier clubs, economic blips can influence the fee. The Great Recession (circa 2008) caused the Initiation Fee to dip seriously for a couple of years, then rebound; also, clubs with waiting lists have higher initiations.

@RoyalMustang, do you have any idea if the club's organizational structure influences DFW initiation fees? If it's a stand-alone country club, are fees higher than if the country club is part of a larger housing development?

I don't know-I haven't heard of any regular housing developments where golf helps to subsidize green fees. I am sure they exist in super exclusive places like Vaquero, but I don't know anyone who hangs out there. The course I play was originally only open to people who lived in the housing development, but eventually that got limiting and probably hurt property values.  Non-golfers don't want to pay for golf, especially in an area where houses are mid 6 figures

1 hour ago, soregongolfer said:

Centennial has a wait list for annual memberships?  That's a bummer.  How long a wait is it?  I know both Brian Sacket and Chris Daggitt.  😉

As far as Quail Point, I remember when a crazed senior yelled at me for holding him up.  We were standing on the tee box of a par 3 and he screamed for me to hit.  I asked him if he could see the people putting out on the green.  That made him more mad.  He walked towards me, but turned around quickly when I put my head down and walked quickly towards him.  I told him to wait patiently like the rest of us.  He sat in his cart and grumbled.  He grumbled more when his wife told him I was right. 🙂

If Centennial is 1, Eagle Point 2 and Rogue is 4, what is your #3?  

Yeah COVID really made Centennial memberships take off. I originally was told that I was on the list early July at the same time I ordered new clubs, but a couple months later they had apparently lost record of that and put me at the back again, that was a big disappointment at the time but ended up working out well as I joined Grants Pass instead which I much prefer as a course. 

Last time I saw Chris he was playing in a tournament out at Grants Pass with some guy in his cart projectile vomiting off the side of #11 after a bit too much booze before noon 😆

Love the Quail Point crazies that think they own the course lol.. It's actually a pretty nice place but does have a bit of a weird vibe in that way

In no particular order though I think GP (mainly the back), Centennial, Eagle Point, and Stone Ridge all are more interesting courses than Rogue Valley. Not necessarily all better maintained of course, but RV was remarkably flat, straight and disappointing when I played it. Really nice conditions as would be expected but seems like it would get pretty boring playing it every day

• Like 1

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

9 hours ago, RoyalMustang said:

that is about what our course is; the most inexpensive private club in the DFW area that I am aware of.  

It all depends on what people are willing and able to pay, I suppose.  Costs to run a course can't vary that much from region to region, but membership sure can!  I would expect that the top country club in Birmingham AL would cost a fraction of the top CC in Nashville or Atlanta.  

I'm not sure what you are saying exactly.  But $500 per month would not even make the top 20 courses in DFW.

2 hours ago, rooski said:

Yeah COVID really made Centennial memberships take off. I originally was told that I was on the list early July at the same time I ordered new clubs, but a couple months later they had apparently lost record of that and put me at the back again, that was a big disappointment at the time but ended up working out well as I joined Grants Pass instead which I much prefer as a course. 

Last time I saw Chris he was playing in a tournament out at Grants Pass with some guy in his cart projectile vomiting off the side of #11 after a bit too much booze before noon 😆

Love the Quail Point crazies that think they own the course lol.. It's actually a pretty nice place but does have a bit of a weird vibe in that way

In no particular order though I think GP (mainly the back), Centennial, Eagle Point, and Stone Ridge all are more interesting courses than Rogue Valley. Not necessarily all better maintained of course, but RV was remarkably flat, straight and disappointing when I played it. Really nice conditions as would be expected but seems like it would get pretty boring playing it every day

When I lived down there, I played a course called Cedar Links.  It was a fun 18 hole course and the players from North Medford High joined me quite often.  I was in my early 30's at the time and thought it was funny that the high school kids liked to play with me.  Anywho, Daggitt and his little brother snapped countless shafts on their clubs and their mom would come in and buy new ones.  One day I was talking to her and told her she needed to kick their little butts for breaking all of those shafts.  Her attitude was that it was no big deal.  Then one day their dad joined our group.  He hit a bad wedge and "snap" went the shaft.  I giggled and said to myself, "Ahhhhh, now I know where it comes from.  😆

I've only played GP once.  I thought the front was pretty blah, but the back was terrific.  Myrtle Creek's front nine is similar, but with less trees.  Stone Ridge was really good when it first opened.  The maintenance was good back then.  Not so much afterwards.  How is it now?  I know they're under new ownership.  The course has a great layout.  

You hit the nail on the head with Quail Point.  Those old farts think they own the course.  Does RCC still have 27 holes?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, soregongolfer said:

When I lived down there, I played a course called Cedar Links.  It was a fun 18 hole course and the players from North Medford High joined me quite often.  I was in my early 30's at the time and thought it was funny that the high school kids liked to play with me.  Anywho, Daggitt and his little brother snapped countless shafts on their clubs and their mom would come in and buy new ones.  One day I was talking to her and told her she needed to kick their little butts for breaking all of those shafts.  Her attitude was that it was no big deal.  Then one day their dad joined our group.  He hit a bad wedge and "snap" went the shaft.  I giggled and said to myself, "Ahhhhh, now I know where it comes from.  😆

I've only played GP once.  I thought the front was pretty blah, but the back was terrific.  Myrtle Creek's front nine is similar, but with less trees.  Stone Ridge was really good when it first opened.  The maintenance was good back then.  Not so much afterwards.  How is it now?  I know they're under new ownership.  The course has a great layout.  

You hit the nail on the head with Quail Point.  Those old farts think they own the course.  Does RCC still have 27 holes?

I've never even heard of Cedar Links, always sad to hear about a closed course after it happens. I'm not surprised to learn about their club breaking shenanigans though, exact same type of attitude it would take to be puking drunk on the 3rd hole of a tournament and laughing about it. 

I keep meaning to make the trip up to Myrtle Creek, some of those pictures look like there's at least a few truly world class holes out there.

Stone Ridge is not perfect but very playable. Last I was out there in October or so it was at the end of a drought ridden summer but they were making due. Greens in great condition and overall really nice. I think they're making strides after taking over ownership but you could definitely see issues where sprinklers weren't working correctly and stuff. I think they will be able to do that course justice. I've played every course in the area and I think that one almost certainly has the purely best layout. Each hole is super unique and interesting.

RCC is still 27 holes but I never saw the 9 holer when I was there.

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

7 minutes ago, rooski said:

I've never even heard of Cedar Links, always sad to hear about a closed course after it happens. I'm not surprised to learn about their club breaking shenanigans though, exact same type of attitude it would take to be puking drunk on the 3rd hole of a tournament and laughing about it. 

I keep meaning to make the trip up to Myrtle Creek, some of those pictures look like there's at least a few truly world class holes out there.

Stone Ridge is not perfect but very playable. Last I was out there in October or so it was at the end of a drought ridden summer but they were making due. Greens in great condition and overall really nice. I think they're making strides after taking over ownership but you could definitely see issues where sprinklers weren't working correctly and stuff. I think they will be able to do that course justice. I've played every course in the area and I think that one almost certainly has the purely best layout. Each hole is super unique and interesting.

RCC is still 27 holes but I never saw the 9 holer when I was there.

Hearing that about Stone Ridge makes me happy.  I really like that course.  Sadly, they had a few owners who didn't care about it.  

Cedar Links was a fun course and boasted the hardest hole in Southern Oregon.  #7 had OB right and a water hazard that you couldn't drive over.  People had to layup to the water and hit about a 135 yard shot to the hole.  It sounds easy but a big oak tree was on the left side of the green and its branches hung over the green.  If the hole was on the left side the green, you had to either bounce it up there or hit the ball into the tree and watch your ball fall through the branches in golf's version of Plinko from the Price is Right.  There were a lot of nice people there, too.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Golferpaul said:

I'm not sure what you are saying exactly.  But $500 per month would not even make the top 20 courses in DFW.

That is exactly what I am saying: $500/month is dirt cheap for DFW, but I bet it is a mid-tier course in a smaller city.  Our course isn't in great shape (lots of member work) but it is still golf, and playing golf on a course that needs a bit of work sure beats not being able to play on a pristine course!  

17 hours ago, soregongolfer said:

Wow, brings back memories.  I have never golfed down there, but ran cross country in Lithia Park, spent a week at summer camp at SOSC, rand track at GPHS, and played baseball in Rogue River.  Beautiful area!  

• Like 1