2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Driver or something else in the bag..

jsmcdon

Are you a person that no matter the yardage (par 4-5) you use a driver?

Or if it's a shorter (par 4-5) you'll use 3 wood or even a hybrid?

Lets just call the yardage 350-450 in total.

This has recently got me thinking, I've been struggling a little with my driver, not sure I'd call it struggling but I'm pushing it a little. So thee idea was why not start hitting my 3 wood more often, yes I realize this is probably fairly common, I'm just interested in seeing how many people actually hit their driver less than usual.

Unless driver brings trouble into play significantly, driver all the time.

• Like 2

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Unless there is a compelling not to hit driver (eg - water hazard that only comes into play at driver distance), Im pulling the big stick. The closer you are to the hole, the closer your approach is likely to be, regardless of skill level. That said, I often see holes where hitting bombs brings significant risk into play and pull something else, usually a 5 wood or hybrid, off the tee. 

Edited by EDT501
  • Like 1

Titleist TSi3 - Diamana ZF, 60tx

Mizuno MP Titanium 15* & 18* - Diamana Kai’li, 70 & 80x

Ping G410 22* hybrid - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Mizuno MP68 (raw) 4i-PW - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Some stuff I ground myself (raw) - Steelfiber i110cw, x

3DP Design Long / Slant Neck custom Morris - OG Whiteboard, 83x

Lamkin Crossline Cord | ProV1 | MacKenzie Original Walker

My distance is enough that I favor the strategy of "if i NEED to hit a driver, I'll hit driver", otherwise I tee off with my 2i. 

Par 5s almost exclusively driver to set up an eagle chance, and 320-340 par 4s for the same reason

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

38 minutes ago, jvincent said:

Unless I run out of fairway or something....I'll always hit driver....I consider my driver a strength of my game and I'm confident with it.

I don't have more confidence hitting my 4W off the tee to avoid trouble.

Obviously, there will be rds where the driver is misbehaving.

Nah. I wanna be within a comfortable approach number. I'm just not that good in the 30-70 yard range but feel great being 80-110. So on shorter par 4s, I'm going with whatever will get me around there. 

I can confidently get 270-290 with my driver these days so if it's, like, a super short par 4 - say 300-320 - I may try to get within an easy pitch or chip range. But not always.

Case in point, #15 at the club plays around 320 ... but if you don't fly it 300 (and I can't) you're gonna be way below a super elevated green and have a super tough flop to get it on. And the fairway around there filters into some really tough rough so if you're so unfortunate as to wind up down there ... good luck even getting on the green in two, let alone near a makeable putt since they always cut the pin in the front. 

I play that up the flatter right side of the fairway with a 5 or 4 iron depending on the wind, which leaves a wide open look at the green from 100ish yards. 

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

Yeah that's another thing I've been playing into lately is I'd rather be 115 for say a full wedge than 60 out. Yes that plays into well your not that good on some of your approach shots from a shorter distance, some cases could be true, I'm not bad by any means, I just may be more comfortable with a full shot than shorter, regardless of hitting a drive down there and getting closer to the hole. The older I get the more course management starts to play into things, yardages is the biggest. Years before I never gave it a second thought, hit the driver and play in from there but today I'm starting to rethink a few things..

1 hour ago, jsmcdon said:

Yeah that's another thing I've been playing into lately is I'd rather be 115 for say a full wedge than 60 out. Yes that plays into well your not that good on some of your approach shots from a shorter distance, some cases could be true, I'm not bad by any means, I just may be more comfortable with a full shot than shorter, regardless of hitting a drive down there and getting closer to the hole. The older I get the more course management starts to play into things, yardages is the biggest. Years before I never gave it a second thought, hit the driver and play in from there but today I'm starting to rethink a few things..

Have you actually tracked your proximity to the hole from 115 vs 60?

That's the whole point of Broadie's book. Most people think they do better from there "good" yardage than closer but in reality they don't. Their perceptions are skewed by an expectation bias that 15' away from 60 yards is somehow worse than 20' away from 115 yards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

I feel it’s more what the course and your shot shape dictate.  Also if you can control your miss to avoid trouble.  

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

5 hours ago, jsmcdon said:

I'm just interested in seeing how many people actually hit their driver less than usual.

My observation is that very few players can resist the temptation to swing driver off  the par 4 and par 5 tee boxes, maybe 1 or 2 out of 100 players.

But without a driver in the bag I expect 75% of players would lower their scoring average, so my opinion is that driver hurts 18 hole scoring.

If a player has the discipline to only swing driver off a few tee boxes per round, I believe that is ideal.

• Like 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

I hit driver more than I used to but one of my regular courses is really tight (15-20 m wide fairways, sometimes choked in to 10 m) on short par 4s so I'll often hit a hybrid or 4 iron. The other course has a lot of holes where it's better to be on the flat with the approach and having a 9 iron vs a gap wedge doesn't make that much difference to me.

10.5* TM M5 Tour - Evenflow Riptide 70

15* Mizuno ST200 - Diamana S+ 70

19* (@20*) Mizuno CLK - Tensei CK Pro 70

5-PW Mizuno MP-20 MMC - Project X

50/08 & 54/11 Wilson Staff Model Wedge - DG 120

60/10 Cleveland RTX Zipcore - DG TI Spinner

Scotty Cameron SS Newport 2

Srixon Z Star

I'm in the "get to a good approach distance" crowd.  For me thats 90-120yds (between PW and SW).  

Many of the courses here in FL are set up for seniors (unless you play the tips): par-4s @320-360 yards.   For a few years now I'd use my 18* hybrid or 4-iron, to set up a good look with a wedge. Note that since Covid I've been experimenting with a "2 wood": a 12* driver with a 70X shaft that won't go farther than 260.  Lately I've been using this on medium length par-4s to get to my desired approach distance, with good results.  

I found that while hitting driver is fun, it often got me into trouble: an approach shot that was too close (40-60yds) that required a partial wedge, or crushing driver only to watch it roll through the fairway and into trouble.

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

It depends on the course for me. On the local muni that I play the most, the front is pretty short and driver can put you in a bad spot. There's also a par 5 on the back that is really more like a long 4. Driver can put you in a really narrow area so a wood or hybrid is fine and can still set you up for an eagle chance if you are long enough (I've done it twice but 3-putted for par each time). 

On another course I play sometimes there are a lot of doglegs with trees that are just to tall for me to confidently carry. I hit driver on 1 par 5 on the front, playing tees that are about 6300 yards. 

Basically, if I have enough width between trouble and won't got to a distance that is also trouble, I will try to hit driver. 

We're going on a Minimalist Adventure who knows were we'll end up:

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 13.5

Taylormade Sim Max 7w Mitsubishi Diamana F Limited 75S

Odds or Evens - Callaway Mavrik Pro 6-PW Project X Rifle Tour Flighted 105 6.0

White Hot OG #1

Srixon Z Star/Chrome Soft X

Completely depends on the hole and where I’m playing. At my home course, I’ve played it countless times and will, in theory, “risk” driver. But it’s not a risk from countless rounds I know what holes I score better or not worse from. On a number of shorter par 4’s from 360-400, the pin placements will weigh into my decision as well.

However, if it’s a new course that I’m not familiar with, I rarely hit driver unless I know it is completely open because I hit it farther than most and have learned I can’t trust local caddies. So I hit something I can see where it’s landing. 

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

Driver all day on short par 4's unless there is a hazard in front of the green.  I hit my 3 metal just as straight/crooked as my driver.  I will take out driver on all par 5's.  There's only been one instance where I had to take out 3 metal on a par 5 because the fairway ran out at 315 yards and that was a course out in Dallas.  I score better when I'm aggressive out on the course. 

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Ill echo a lot of others, I look more for where the trouble is and less at the total yardage of the hole.

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

I've been working hard on a reliable low cut with my driver. I'm getting closer and closer to being consistent with it. I tee the ball low and just focus on staying behind the club head and the ball stays low and cuts along the left fairway edge. It goes somewhere like 240 to 260 with not much roll out. It tends to get on the ground early which helps stop before trouble. It seems like most golf holes (even some left dog legs) will allow for that shot from the correct tees. With lots of room (par 5s and resort courses), I tee it higher and give it a good lashing with the same swing path. 

My 3 wood has a slightly softer shaft, which I use to hit from right to left when needed.

For years I tried to shape my driver both directions, but I don't have the skill or time to practice it. I made a personal rule that my driver is not allowed to do anything but hit cuts, on the range or on the course and it has helped a lot. I still have bad days, last weekend I played on Sunday morning and never hit a single fairway (I hit one green on a 250y par 4), however the strategy and misses were mitigated by the low ball and mostly settled in the right cut rough.

I used to be a believer in getting the ball to 115y to 130y for a wedge, but scoring is better overall getting closer. It feels better to hit a 130 yard shot to 20 feet than a 50 yard shot to 15 feet, but scores over time will be better from 15 feet.

21 hours ago, Fairway14 said:

My observation is that very few players can resist the temptation to swing driver off  the par 4 and par 5 tee boxes, maybe 1 or 2 out of 100 players.

But without a driver in the bag I expect 75% of players would lower their scoring average, so my opinion is that driver hurts 18 hole scoring.

If a player has the discipline to only swing driver off a few tee boxes per round, I believe that is ideal.

This. This is where I'm at in thinking.

Tonight I'm leaving temptation in the car and seeing what happens with my round..

17 minutes ago, jsmcdon said:

This. This is where I'm at in thinking.

Tonight I'm leaving temptation in the car and seeing what happens with my round..

I expect you will find that no driver in the bag offers the benefit of improving swing tempo/rhythm for all the other clubs. In other words, once the "hit it hard" instinct that naturally comes with driver is removed, good things happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

On 9/13/2021 at 1:49 PM, jvincent said:

This is also my approach. If it's over 275 yards, it's a driver.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

It’s the other way round for me, driver is generally a weakness, so I tend to hit less off the tee unless driver is required.

It depends where you play, my home course can get dry, and angles/position become more important. 

But if you cans can hit driver straight most of the time, then use it as much as you can. Work on these scoring shots. 

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

I use a driver on most holes that are par 4 or par 5. Only times I don't are when trouble will come into play with driver, or if I'm experimenting with different strategies.

My home course is mostly driver, but I played one course recently that had a short par 4 dogleg right with water short right and long left after the turn. I ended up hitting a nice 5 hybrid over the tree into the middle of the fairway.

IMG_20210917_092712938.jpg

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft