2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Los Angeles Private Clubs

Amateur Hour24

I am moving to SoCal in the next 4-5 months from NorCal and interested in the cost (initiation + monthly dues) for some of the private clubs around the LA area.  I am 33 so a young exec membership should work.

Some of the names I have discussed with some folks that live down there are mountaingate, oakmont, Lakeside and likely out of the price range but some info on pricing would be helpful on wilshire, Hillcrest and Brentwood. 

Have looked around the forums but haven’t been able to find much information on pricing so help would be very much appreciated.  Still TBD on where we are going to live so I know commute will factor in but just trying to get some data points for now.  Thank you 

i think it's still best to just call/email and ask for info from the club itself...if they're accepting new members they WILL let you know the price before setting up a meeting at least to weed out the serious and not so serious people. I worked at a few private clubs in so cal in my early years and no membership director ever didn't want someone to know the price before a formal meeting, they just want you to ask first as to not come off as pushy/rude.

• Like 3

On 9/13/2021 at 7:34 PM, Amateur Hour24 said:

I am moving to SoCal in the next 4-5 months from NorCal and interested in the cost (initiation + monthly dues) for some of the private clubs around the LA area.  I am 33 so a young exec membership should work.

Some of the names I have discussed with some folks that live down there are mountaingate, oakmont, Lakeside and likely out of the price range but some info on pricing would be helpful on wilshire, Hillcrest and Brentwood. 

Have looked around the forums but haven’t been able to find much information on pricing so help would be very much appreciated.  Still TBD on where we are going to live so I know commute will factor in but just trying to get some data points for now.  Thank you 

you are going to need major connections and $$$$$$ for lakewood, brentwood and hillcrest (forget about Riviera, Bel Air and LACC).  With Wilshire, there might be a chance, but again none of these places are on the affordable side - are you open to spending high 5 figures/low 6 figures for an initiation?  mountaingate, oakmont, saticoy are all reasonable.  private golf is on another level here.  think about the bigger names you mentioned being like joining Cal Club, SFGC or Meadow Club up North.  

• Like 1

I'm in the same boat as you - relocating to LA from SF, and I've all but given up on the hunt for a reasonably priced junior exec membership in the LA area. If you're on the west side, Old Ranch in Long Beach is a reasonable option and easy to get to down the 405. Like others have mentioned, best to contact clubs directly to start the conversation vs searching online for rates (you'll gather intel more quickly this way anyways).

19 hours ago, pb_n_joe said:

I'm in the same boat as you - relocating to LA from SF, and I've all but given up on the hunt for a reasonably priced junior exec membership in the LA area. If you're on the west side, Old Ranch in Long Beach is a reasonable option and easy to get to down the 405. Like others have mentioned, best to contact clubs directly to start the conversation vs searching online for rates (you'll gather intel more quickly this way anyways).

It's really tough to find something reasonable for jr exec but I do agree with you on Old Ranch.  Decent/playable course with practice facilities.  Overall facilities are good to very good.  Friendly people too.  Anywhere outside of 10-15 mi from Old Ranch (Seal Beach area) would be hard to make it commutable due to it being just off 405 and close to Long Beach.

I only played it once, but I personally do not love Old Ranch and think the course is not particularly nicer or more interesting than the public courses in the area. If you are on the west side, I think going north is probably the better option to something like El Caballero, Mountaingate, or Wood Ranch if it's not too far. Traffic on the 405 on weekdays is going to take up to an hour+ from the westside, so I wouldn't imagine that'd be too appealing.

16 hours ago, Sboooooo1245 said:

I only played it once, but I personally do not love Old Ranch and think the course is not particularly nicer or more interesting than the public courses in the area. If you are on the west side, I think going north is probably the better option to something like El Caballero, Mountaingate, or Wood Ranch if it's not too far. Traffic on the 405 on weekdays is going to take up to an hour+ from the westside, so I wouldn't imagine that'd be too appealing.

I do agree with you on Old Ranch, not a great course by any means but it is private and just being able to get out on a course (i.e. getting a regular tee time) and not having to worry that the round will take 5-6 hours makes it probably worth considering. 

I live on Westside too (Manhattan Beach) and mountaingate is a PIA to get to (even during pandemic traffic times) the 405 is a nightmare around the 10 and will add 20-40 min min to any commute.  I would forget Wood Ranch if you live on the Westside or South Bay - that's a min of 2 to 2 1/2 hrs with traffic (depending on where you are on the Westside) and El Cab in Tarzana is no better.

Now if the OP is living up near Westwood, Brentwood, Hollywood/WeHo, PP, etc...they are both doable and worth a look (as is Oakmont CC in Glendale) Living on the Westside has it's perks especially if you surf but not conducive to working on your golf game.

Edited by tw422

Wood Ranch in Simi comes to mind if you live in the Valley. Great course, practice facilities are decent (their bunker area is a bit of a joke). They have a really good Pro there also (Alison Curdt).

From my personal experience, anything that's gonna take you more than 45 minutes to get to is not going to be very usable.

9 hours ago, Sboooooo1245 said:

I’m also in MB. Are you a member at Old Ranch? I can’t stand playing Trump so I’ve been looking around for a good option — private or public. Have been playing Pelican Hill and Oak Creek more lately. 

If you're making the drive down to Irvine, consider Strawberry Farms! Unless you have the Pelican/Oak Creek all access annual membership, which would make sense. Oak Creek was my high school team's home course, but I enjoy playing Strawberry much more. They have the typical players card option for discounted green fees as well as an unlimited full golf membership. 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2021 at 12:29 PM, Sboooooo1245 said:

I’m also in MB. Are you a member at Old Ranch? I can’t stand playing Trump so I’ve been looking around for a good option — private or public. Have been playing Pelican Hill and Oak Creek more lately. 

No, I'm not a member at Old Ranch.  Took a serious look at it before pandemic and decided against it - just couldn't see myself making the drive 2-3x a week.  They also wanted a good chunk of the initiation up front and I just didn't think it was worth it.  

And yes, I do not like the Trump course - I sometimes find myself getting close to booking and playing and I quickly remember how much I hate the place.  Forget Los Verdes too - I would love to know how people get tee times there.  And even if you do get a time it's a 5-6 hr round.  Brutal.  

I like Pelican and Oak Creek but they are sooooo far away.  Would love to join Palos Verdes GC but it's just too much to justify.  Forget Rolling Hills CC too - I've heard it's just an ok course even after redesign by Kidd and they want $250k for initiation.  

I don't mind going to LB for ElDo or Navy - not a fan of Rec Park and Skylinks but there's not much else to play within reasonable distance.  

Living in MB is great if you don't play golf.  Sorry for such a negative post but I have been beaten into submission living on the Westside and wanting to play public golf 🙂

Edited by tw422

If you are renting, then fine you have flexibility to find a place first then rent around it. However, if you require a commute to work then LA is terrible to commute to either work/club from a distance.

1. Where is your work? Is this a short term stop job or a spot you want to stay for a while?

2. If longer term, can you afford to buy a place around there?

3. If the answer to both is yes above, then look for clubs in proximity to there first.

4. Utilize your network from work and it is ok to wait a year or two to network with coworkers who are golfers and have memberships. This is by far the best way to find a club.

5. It isn't realistic to find a long term good job, house and club membership in LA/So Cal right away at 33. Give it time it doesn't happen quickly unless you are a legacy from a family member.

So getting data is good, but moving to a new city will take time to develop your networks and establish yourself. Public golf isn't' great there, but clubs are so expensive now (as is housing) that no worries to give it some time to correct while you build up your life there.

• Like 1

As other have noted, the key in LA is that it is all about where you live. If you are planning to rent for a while before you settle down just accept that you shouldn't join a club until you know someplace you will be for an extended period...

So putting that aside if you are planning on living on the Westside (Santa Monica, Brentwood, Westwood, Venice, Pacific Palisades, etc.) you have VERY minimal reasonable private club options. (I currently live in the Palisades and lived in Santa Monica before we moved up here). Yes, there are a number of great clubs in this part of town (everyone has their individual favorites but I'm talking about Bel-Air, Brentwood, Hillcrest, LACC, Riv (LOL)), but nearly all of them are (1) extremely expensive to join (at least $100k, more likely closer to $200k+, I think Riv is something like $350k these days and it isn't even an equity membership!) and don't have any kind of junior exec option (unless you are the child of a current member), (2) you need to be very well connected with multiple current members to join (depending on your line of work this may or may not be a major impediment but if you are new to the area will take time to develop regardless) and (3) even if you are appropriately connected and have the cash, the process to join can often take years to get done (and I suspect COVID has made this even worse).

Thus the only more reasonably priced option in the immediate area is MountainGate (disclosure again, I'm a member!). It is a perfectly fine club, we have three different nines which gives you some variety, I've found nearly every person I've played with to be pleasant and welcoming. However, while the conditions, tee time availability, etc. are certainly a very nice step from our muni golf options in the area, it likely isn't exactly up to the level of what most people are expecting when they think of "Private Country Club". I know that during the COVID boom we did reach "capacity" (as it is a corporate owned club, not an equity club) but I think the wait list is at most a couple months right now. We do have a Junior Exec Membership that has full (equal) golf privileges as any other member. I think the initiation for that is currently somewhere in the $10-20k range (they will let you pay it in installments interest free over your first 30 months or something like that) and then your monthly dues are $725 (you can get a 7.5% discount on that if you pay it yearly in advance). You then have to upgrade to a full membership (more initiation and a higher monthly fee) once you turn 40.

If you are interested in learning any more let me know. We do have a referral program for new members and so I can kick some of that money back to you if you do want to join (i.e. can knock a little bit off the initiation).  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It was briefly mentioned above, but if you are anywhere NOT on the west side, consider Hacienda - east of LA.  They do have a junior membership, and the course is, IMO, incredible.  Top 30 course in California.  Hacienda is a Golf Club (not a country club), and the focus is on the golf, and the course.  The social elements are minimal.  Membership is young-ish, with no tee times and lots of choose up games to play.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, rzitup said:

It was briefly mentioned above, but if you are anywhere NOT on the west side, consider Hacienda - east of LA.  They do have a junior membership, and the course is, IMO, incredible.  Top 30 course in California.  Hacienda is a Golf Club (not a country club), and the focus is on the golf, and the course.  The social elements are minimal.  Membership is young-ish, with no tee times and lots of choose up games to play.  

Played Haci this past March and while I don’t live in Cali, my friend who lives in Pasadena considered joining. The course is spectacular! They had a few reasonable deals being offered for 2021. Theres also a bunch of aspiring tour pros who play and practice out of there. If it’s good enough for their games, it should be good enough for ours. 

Ive played a bunch of the super expensive private courses in the LA area and would put Haci right up there one notch below  LACC, Riv and Bel-Air. 

Edited by NJGolfer0624

+1 for Hacienda! Definitely a pure "golfers golf club." Such a fun/challenging layout, immaculate conditions, lots of elite players. Would love to join if I lived anywhere east of the 110 fwy.

Last time out, I played with the GM who is an old friend and PGA pro, a former European Tour / Canadian Tour winner, and a D1 college player. Safe to say I lost fistfuls of money that day ha! Haci seems to be popular with the Korean pro / aspiring pro golf community. Spotted Sung Kang and KH Lee practicing there before heading to Hawaii for Sentry TOC and Sony Open

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pb_n_joe said:

+1 for Hacienda! Definitely a pure "golfers golf club." Such a fun/challenging layout, immaculate conditions, lots of elite players. Would love to join if I lived anywhere east of the 110 fwy.

Last time out, I played with the GM who is an old friend and PGA pro, a former European Tour / Canadian Tour winner, and a D1 college player. Safe to say I lost fistfuls of money that day ha! Haci seems to be popular with the Korean pro / aspiring pro golf community. Spotted Sung Kang and KH Lee practicing there before heading to Hawaii for Sentry TOC and Sony Open

This is from inside the Haci clubhouse 

Bags from many of the tour pros that play or have played out of there.

92C1501F-672B-4612-9D43-EC5C03F0833C.jpeg

Edited by NJGolfer0624
  • Like 2

On 10/28/2021 at 1:20 PM, peterindb said:

I’m a member at Hacienda, and there’s a reason why people see it as a “Mini-Riviera”. 

Feel free to PM me if you want additional membership info. 

Hacienda is one of my new favorite tracks. Such a hidden gem!

How to film your golf swing:

Down The Line

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, fjk said:

Why don’t you MB people consider PVGC? Closer than trump. Reasonable commute. Great course, conditions, and weather IMO. 

PVGC is open for public play in the afternoons to residents and has no private facilities other than the course itself — even the restaurant is just a public restaurant. It’s also very expensive for what it is for non-PV residents - like $1k/mo and $75k buy in. I actually think if you’re in MB then Mountain Gate makes more sense. 

My goodness...I am reading about these initiation fees and such and I am blown away that those prices are even feasible.  I thought the 7k I paid in the middle east was pricey and now I realize that it was peanuts and in the middle east the course often have floodlights that allow play from 5:15 am until 10 pm or even midnight on some courses and the facilities and course conditions are second to none.  350k initiation fee for Riviera...are you kidding me!  I guess if you got it like that it is all relative I suppose.  

On 11/24/2021 at 11:45 PM, Sboooooo1245 said:

PVGC is open for public play in the afternoons to residents and has no private facilities other than the course itself — even the restaurant is just a public restaurant. It’s also very expensive for what it is for non-PV residents - like $1k/mo and $75k buy in. I actually think if you’re in MB then Mountain Gate makes more sense. 

Mountaingate makes more sense financially but does not make sense due to 405