2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

New Mizuno MPs just announced! Mizuno Pro 221/223/225

Joey09

6 hours ago, SwooshLT said:

Pretty sure the 223 irons are the equivalent to JPX921 forged

They are not. JPX921 Forged are 1 degree stronger and made out of different materials vs. MMC aka 223. MMC being weaker loft with copper underlay and shorter blade length with 223 release (your mileage and results may vary). JPX921 Forged will be an offering by Mizuno for at least another year until new JPX line is released. 

you can see additional testing and comparison here from previous/current head to head on MMC vs. JPX Forged. Reading the 223 will also have some chromoly and increase in ball speed:

36 minutes ago, HarborMike said:

They are not. JPX921 Forged are 1 degree stronger and made out of different materials vs. MMC aka 223. MMC being weaker loft with copper underlay and shorter blade length with 223 release (your mileage and results may vary). JPX921 Forged will be an offering by Mizuno for at least another year until new JPX line is released. 

you can see additional testing and comparison here from previous/current head to head on MMC vs. JPX Forged. Reading the 223 will also have some chromoly and increase in ball speed:

So is the 225 more the equivalent?  That was the question asked by the gentleman above.......size wise , the 223 is really close to 921 forged.....are there material differences?  Sure 

From what I have heard, blade length only, the 225 will be most similar to the 921F. If you like 921F but would like an iron with similar materials in a smaller head size, 223 is your ticket. If you look at the current MP and JPX models blade length/sole width, the MP models are smaller than the corresponding JPX model. 

MP 20 MB is smaller than 921T and so on. Expect the same pattern to continue.

B99C1099-2475-4655-9246-6684832F8862.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

On 10/17/2021 at 9:07 PM, SwooshLT said:

So is the 225 more the equivalent?  That was the question asked by the gentleman above.......size wise , the 223 is really close to 921 forged.....are there material differences?  Sure 

Yeah Vosh literally said it's like the 921forged in a smaller size with more ball speed 

• Like 2

WITB:

TSR2 10* @D1 Tour AD UB 6s

G430 5W @ flat neutral Tour AD UB 7s

'24 APEX UW 21* AD IZ 8S

'23 T200 Utility AD IZ 95S

'23 King Tour 5-G Modus 105S

RTX 6 Zipcore Tour Rack 54 Low+ and 58 Low

Custom PLD Anser 2D Carbon Steel / Stability Tour

Chrome Soft X

5 hours ago, SwooshLT said:

225 or 223?

• Thanks 1

WITB:

'24 APEX UW 21* AD IZ 8S

Chrome Soft X

15 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

Whats wrong with the 921s? These wont be any better, but just a different “look”

There's usually very minimal change from model to model and in this case, sometimes across lineups (for a similar targeted iron). Some of us just like to buy new stuff often :). When I was in my 20's and money was tight I thought people were fools for spending money on new clubs every 1-2-3 years. Now that I'm a couple decades older I look forward to it like Christmas. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Trippels said:

Anyone know if there's a significant tech change between the current HMB and the new 225?

Cosmetically the change isn't massive, slightly more compact in the 225.

I bet the differences will be pretty small. Maybe a tiny bit less offset. Maybe the scoring irons will be a tiny bit smaller. Probably the biggest change honestly is they've strengthened the loft by 2* (7 iron was 32* and now it's 30*). I'm hoping for a gap wedge and it appears their will be, which makes sense given the PW is now 44*. 

If you look here you can see a comparison of the different models of the previous generation: Mizuno Irons Comparison - Mizuno Golf USA

Clearly, the MMC was already slightly smaller (and less offset/thinner topline) than the 921 Forged. It's the HMB and 921F that are very similar profiles according to these specs. It's interesting that Vosh would make it a point to compare the new 223 to a 921 Forged,  and saying the 223 is slightly more compact, it already was more compact! I'm guessing the new 225 will be very close to the same size as the HMB. +/- 1 mm on the head length measurement. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, RacineBoxer said:

There's usually very minimal change from model to model and in this case, sometimes across lineups (for a similar targeted iron). Some of us just like to buy new stuff often :). When I was in my 20's and money was tight I thought people were fools for spending money on new clubs every 1-2-3 years. Now that I'm a couple decades older I look forward to it like Christmas. 

Haha oh i get that, but new irons after not even one year?? (and from the sound of it he LIKES his current ones) I mean go ahead, if that makes you happy, but i sure hope nobody thinks this makes anyone play better lol. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, RacineBoxer said:

I bet the differences will be pretty small. Maybe a tiny bit less offset. Maybe the scoring irons will be a tiny bit smaller. Probably the biggest change honestly is they've strengthened the loft by 2* (7 iron was 32* and now it's 30*). I'm hoping for a gap wedge and it appears their will be, which makes sense given the PW is now 44*. 

If you look here you can see a comparison of the different models of the previous generation: Mizuno Irons Comparison - Mizuno Golf USA

Clearly, the MMC was already slightly smaller (and less offset/thinner topline) than the 921 Forged. It's the HMB and 921F that are very similar profiles according to these specs. It's interesting that Vosh would make it a point to compare the new 223 to a 921 Forged,  and saying the 223 is slightly more compact, it already was more compact! I'm guessing the new 225 will be very close to the same size as the HMB. +/- 1 mm on the head length measurement. 

I think he was saying that the tech and construction of the 921Forged are baked into the 223

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

WITB:

'24 APEX UW 21* AD IZ 8S

Chrome Soft X

On 10/17/2021 at 8:27 PM, HarborMike said:

Why is everyone agreeing that the 223 is JPX921 Forged in a smaller package?  Are we reading same information.......just curious 

41 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

Why is everyone agreeing that the 223 is JPX921 Forged in a smaller package?  Are we reading same information.......just curious 

I think it stems from Chris Voshall's comment about how the 223 is more forgiving than the 921 forged despite having a smaller profile. I don't think he was trying to suggest that 223 and 921 forged are parallel models; he was just trying to illustrate the level of forgiveness that's backed into the 223.

Edited by uglande
  • Like 3

Titleist TSR3 08.75 – AD DI 65x

Titleist TSR2 14.50 – AD DI 75x

Titleist TSR2 17.25 – AD DI 85x

Titleist TSR2 21.00 – AD DI 95x

Titleist T150 4i-6i – X100 Tour

Titleist T100 7i-9i – X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw – S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 – White Hot OG5

59 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

Why is everyone agreeing that the 223 is JPX921 Forged in a smaller package?  Are we reading same information.......just curious 

It's because Mizuno keeps bringing them up together in the same sentence. I think they are brought up together because Chromoly (4i-7i) will be used in the 223's which will allow a thinner face and more ball speed. 

First set of Mizuno Pro 223 irons on PGA Tour - Mizuno Golf Germany

7 hours ago, SwooshLT said:

THIS STATEMENT/QUESTION was meant only for @HarborMike he stated that the 223 isn't like the JPX921 Forged in any ways

Edited by SwooshLT

10 hours ago, Red4282 said:

Whats wrong with the 921s? These wont be any better, but just a different “look”

Been wanting to game MP irons ever since and personally I feel like the F919s have a better feedback and feel than the F921s. That led to my question that perhaps a JPX F gamer can transcend into using MP irons without too much adjustment .

1 hour ago, Jeffster said:

Been wanting to game MP irons ever since and personally I feel like the F919s have a better feedback and feel than the F921s. That led to my question that perhaps a JPX F gamer can transcend into using MP irons without too much adjustment .

Feel is so subjective! I thought the 921F felt way better than 919F! I'm really looking forward to trying the 223, regardless.

• Like 1

WITB:

'24 APEX UW 21* AD IZ 8S

Chrome Soft X

11 hours ago, SwooshLT said:

THIS STATEMENT/QUESTION was meant only for @HarborMike he stated that the 223 isn't like the JPX921 Forged in any ways

If you read my comment, I did not say ‘the 223 isn’t like the JPX921 Forged in any ways’. The question was asked are the 223’s equivalent to the JPX921 Forged, and my response (in summary) it is not equivalent. Yes, they have similar characteristics with chromoly being included in the materials for both JPX921 and 223, but no they are not equivalent. If they were, then Mizuno would replace one or the other as opposed to cannibalising their own products. Again, the 223 is going to have the copper underlay and will be squatter/shorter in blade length vs. JPX921 forged as well as weaker lofted. How that feels and performs for you or anyone? Your mileage will vary. 

1 hour ago, HarborMike said:

My responses were to your statement regarding 223s being equivalent to JPX921.

As for 225’s being equivalent to JPX921, these are not either 😉

For the new release line of clubs I'm sure the same player who wants the middle club, the 223 and 921 forged will play eerily similar.....despite your claims of one degree loft or material composition being minutely different......but hey,  I haven't seen the 223 in person so what do I actually know? R&D guy from mizuno thinks they have similar enough DNA

6 minutes ago, cbm said:

Any specs available? Stronger lofts (?) for blending sets?
Stock Shaft options? 

Demo’s in stores available when? 
February can’t get here soon enough 😍

You can get the lofts off Mizuno Japan site. Going off memory the 223/225 have a 2* difference stronger than the 221. The 221 5i is 27* 

I'm interested in what the US market shafts will be.

Seems like I read the Asian market was going to have a Modus 115 available, not sure about the US. 

I wish they would offer the TT Elevates.  Interested in seeing if the Modus 115 will be released in the US also

I think I'm going to be a day1/week1 buyer and hope they get shipped or arrive on release date

• Thanks 1

On 10/19/2021 at 8:30 AM, RacineBoxer said:

My wife can help squash that feeling for you...

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR2 9* - Ventus TR Red 6X

Titleist TS3 4W 16.5* - T1100 Evenflow White 6.5

W/S UT 20* - HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0

Callaway Apex '19 4-PW - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM9 49* - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM8 54/58 - PX Rifle 6.0

SINK 1992 Custom