How to manage fatigue during range time

Paddy_2_Iron

Any strategies recommended?

couple of pointed pieces I have question about.

rest time between sessions

how to recover

walking away from a bucket when body won’t respond

chipping/pitching more than full swings?

Stretching.  What stretches, how long?

thanks this part of my game is causing me trouble.  

In the bag

10.5 degree Ping 400 | Stiff Ping Shaft 55 gram

5 - GW F7 Cobra variable | Regular Flex Steel

Titleist Vokey 56 degree F Grind 14 Bounce

Mizuno 60 S 18 Ion Blue 6 Bounce

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1

37 minutes ago, Ghostwedge said:

Unless you're a beginner, spend more time on the course and less time on the range. You'll shoot better scores.

This is not universally true. Making real swing changes on the course is not easy and in some cases very counter productive

Range time should always have a specific goal. 40-50 quality reps focused on something specific is far better than pounding 100+ balls. Pounding balls is just grooving compensations for that day

• Like 3

It seems like most people hit ball after ball without ever taking a break in between to think about what they're working on and whether or not they're getting closer to the right feel. 

I can't count the times I've left the range after a session and was able to clearly process what was going on during the drive home, thinking through things I had missed because I didn't slow down long enough to process. 

With that in mind, I've gravitated toward hitting only small buckets of balls, maybe 35-40 tops during a session. That causes me to have an intention for each ball and maintain my focus as I work through them. There's never a big pile of balls sitting there that I feel like I have to hit before leaving. 

• Like 2

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

1 hour ago, Krt22 said:

This is not universally true. Making real swing changes on the course is not easy and in some cases very counter productive

Range time should always have a specific goal. 40-50 quality reps focused on something specific is far better than pounding 100+ balls. Pounding balls is just grooving compensations for that day

You're stating the obvious.  of course you shouldn't try to groove a new swing while playing 18 with your buds. I'm just suggesting if he gets so tired on the range, just play instead.

23 minutes ago, Ghostwedge said:

You're stating the obvious.  of course you shouldn't try to groove a new swing while playing 18 with your buds. I'm just suggesting if he gets so tired on the range, just play instead.

If the goal is to get better, just playing isn't always productive or a universal truth. This notion that you can just play a lot and get better is simply not true (speaking from experience). I play with plenty of not great golfers who play 3-4 times a week and their game essentially remains unchanged.

There are plenty of non-beginners who are trying to make legitimate swing changes, which is hard when the outcome of the swing matters. If someone is getting tired from practice, going to play isn't going to magically change the method in which they are trying to engrain a change is inherently flawed to start with

52 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

If the goal is to get better, just playing isn't always productive or a universal truth. This notion that you can just play a lot and get better is simply not true (speaking from experience). I play with plenty of not great golfers who play 3-4 times a week and their game essentially remains unchanged.

There are plenty of non-beginners who are trying to make legitimate swing changes, which is hard when the outcome of the swing matters. If someone is getting tired from practice, going to play isn't going to magically change the method in which they are trying to engrain a change is inherently flawed to start with

@krt22

Thoughts on range sessions?  Do you just work on drills and rehearsals or full shots?   

I started using Monte’s no turn instruction and feel about 30-40 balls I hit it well. Of course practicing the movement in steps then hitting after that amount approx I notice I get worse.  I’m assuming stepping away is a good thing at that point 

I also find when I wedge a few in the beginning it really helps me out as I get into the longer clubs. 

In the bag

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1

Very similar to what @me05501 said, I highly suggest shorter range sessions with hitting fewer balls and slowing things down (at least finding a rhythm) with more focus and intention. Everyone will be different, but this should allow you to practice consistently w/ less wear and tear and in my experience has been better for me personally in making swing changes stick.

For the range session itself, in nearly all cases, I like to start with shorter swings w/ a short iron or pw/gw - typically no further than lead arm parallel. I'm usually hitting those at about (in my mind) 50-60% effort so I can build a rhythm and good contact with that, then I'll slowly ramp it up.

If working on drills, many say it's important to alternate between reps of those and some "normal" swings to attempt to apply the feel. I don't think there are exact numbers for this, but think 4-5 balls w/ the drill and then 5 normal swings

5 hours ago, Paddy_2_Iron said:

how to recover

What does your range session look like right now? I used to be someone who would just go out and beat a ton of balls; now, not so much. I no longer empty the bucket into the side caddy at the range/dump it out on the grass and instead, hand pick them out one by one which helps take some time and results in a less rushed practice.

If i start to feel winded or tired, ill step away and take a break. Do you feel pain, or just soreness? If I just feel sore, Ill continue and maybe switch from full shots to other types of shots and/or work on my pitch shots. If I feel pain, I will stop and head to the putting green unless that is painful as well.

Mostly PING clubs, with TaylorMade woods.

42 minutes ago, Paddy_2_Iron said:

@krt22

Thoughts on range sessions?  Do you just work on drills and rehearsals or full shots?   

I started using Monte’s no turn instruction and feel about 30-40 balls I hit it well. Of course practicing the movement in steps then hitting after that amount approx I notice I get worse.  I’m assuming stepping away is a good thing at that point 

I also find when I wedge a few in the beginning it really helps me out as I get into the longer clubs. 

I segment my practice. If I am working on drills/movement, its into a net so I can largely ignore the ball flight. The range is sort of an intermediate place where I can work on stuff and also see the ball flight. I don't go to the range without something specific in mind to work on. If you are going purely by ball flight and not using any other means of feedback, that is an issue. 

• Like 1

If most of your practice is wedges and 1/2 to 3/4 7 irons, how you going to get tired?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

1 hour ago, Paddy_2_Iron said:

@krt22

So long as you're making good improvements to your new movement, hitting balls crappy is ok. 

I practice in gaps of about 20 minutes if I'm making a swing change (Monte's guidance). I'll pick something to work on, set an alarm and work for 15 minutes. Record video for 10 balls. Sit down and watch video and grade myself for about 5 minutes. Rinse and repeat. 

• Like 1

Mavrik 10.5 Project X Riptide 6.5 Small Batch

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

Sim Hybrid 21 Ventus Blue 9X

3-5 P770  KBS C-taper 120

6-PW Blueprint KBS C-taper 125 ssx1

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

GCQuad/SwingCatalyst/FLIR Blackfly/Fiberbuilt/Carl's Place DIY

2 hours ago, Krt22 said:

You got me pro..... been playing for years with scratch and better players, rarely hit the range these days, life is to short. But you be you.

2 minutes ago, Ghostwedge said:

You got me pro..... been playing for years with scratch and better players, rarely hit the range these days, life is to short. But you be you.

There is a big difference between someone who is already scratch and someone who is trying to get to scratch (also when they first got to scratch..ie as a kid vs as an adult). I play with guys who play once a week and are scratch and better and I play with guys who are still 10+ despite playing 3-4 times a week. If playing a lot was the sole key to success, there would be a lot more scratch golfers out there. 

• Like 1

I will get bored long before I ever get fatigued.  Not sure how physical fatigue is possible at a driving range.  My longest range sessions are 3 hours and I could go longer, but I do get bored with it.  As it is I am only hitting around 30 - 40 balls full swing.  The rest is drills, a lot of short game around the green, and some putting.  I'm taking my time, trying to be as intentional as possible.  3 hours is the most though, most of the time it is much closer to 2 hours.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Paddy_2_Iron said:

There is no reason ever to make lots of driving range swings with long clubs. Effective practice sessions and, or, technique improvement work, should mostly be done with 9, 8, 7-irons.  These short irons breed good swing tempo and rhythm. If a player can strike truly square-solid-perfect 8-irons one after the other then his/her swing is ready to strike great shots with any of the longer clubs.

Making lots  of driver swings at the range is tiring and as well as harmful to swing tempo-rhythm. For a bucket of 60 range balls 3 to 5 driver shots is enough. 

• Like 2

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

16 hours ago, Fairway14 said:

There is no reason ever to make lots of driving range swings with long clubs. Effective practice sessions and, or, technique improvement work, should mostly be done with 9, 8, 7-irons.  These short irons breed good swing tempo and rhythm. If a player can strike truly square-solid-perfect 8-irons one after the other then his/her swing is ready to strike great shots with any of the longer clubs.

Making lots  of driver swings at the range is tiring and as well as harmful to swing tempo-rhythm. For a bucket of 60 range balls 3 to 5 driver shots is enough. 

Thanks for providing these insight.  I will probably stick with the 7 iron for practice.  As silly as it may sound it’s the club I generally use for my second shots on par 5s unless the fairway really opens up.  

In the bag

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1

On 9/14/2021 at 3:38 PM, Circaflex said:

What does your range session look like right now? I used to be someone who would just go out and beat a ton of balls; now, not so much. I no longer empty the bucket into the side caddy at the range/dump it out on the grass and instead, hand pick them out one by one which helps take some time and results in a less rushed practice.

If i start to feel winded or tired, ill step away and take a break. Do you feel pain, or just soreness? If I just feel sore, Ill continue and maybe switch from full shots to other types of shots and/or work on my pitch shots. If I feel pain, I will stop and head to the putting green unless that is painful as well.

Sorry missed this.  Usually a mix assortment of irons and driver.  Today I only brought my 9 iron and 7 iron, worked on the cast piece of Monte's training and really flushed some nice shots, but at this point really trying to ingrain into my swing.  So I think moving forward I'll just bring a short iron and mid and work with those two clubs runnings drills.  

I bought a small bucket and took ~5 full swings, the other balls ~40 were drills, pausing up top to rehearse and hit with the cast to 7/8 move.  

In the bag

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1

I don't particularly take long range sessions because I can only focus for about 30/40 balls when I'm working on something.  Been doing so for years. But I know a bunch of guys that get to the practice area and it's an automatic 100 balls.  They mostly hit awful after the first 20 minutes and keep going steady awful.  

A short full swing session and short game practice makes the trick often, and there's no chance to get tired.

I would suggest shorter more focused range sessions more often during the week. I'd also advise taking a break between shots. When you play, you dont hit a ball ever 5-15 seconds. Usually you get 3-5 minutes between shots so taking a minute or 2 between range balls or hitting 5 balls then taking a rest isnt a bad idea.

I mean in the gym you rest between sets, it makes sense to split your range session into sets as well

Edited by Flip4000

I train various athletes for a living from the high school to pro level.  For golf, there needs to be some down time between range sessions in order to recover especially for the joints.  The older we get the more rest we need.  OP, how old are you?  In terms of how to recover, you should ice down any areas that are sore after each range session for 20 minutes.  Use a heating pad on the subsequent days, 20 minutes for each affected area.  Remember to either eat a high protein meal after a range session or have protein shake with 25 to 40 grams of protein and a small amount of low glycemic carbs along with some healthy fats.  As far as stretching goes, I highly recommend doing both dynamic and static stretches.  You can look up videos on youtube regarding such as there is a lot of info to type out. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

On 9/16/2021 at 12:28 PM, phizzy30 said:

I train various athletes for a living from the high school to pro level.  For golf, there needs to be some down time between range sessions in order to recover especially for the joints.  The older we get the more rest we need.  OP, how old are you?  In terms of how to recover, you should ice down any areas that are sore after each range session for 20 minutes.  Use a heating pad on the subsequent days, 20 minutes for each affected area.  Remember to either eat a high protein meal after a range session or have protein shake with 25 to 40 grams of protein and a small amount of low glycemic carbs along with some healthy fats.  As far as stretching goes, I highly recommend doing both dynamic and static stretches.  You can look up videos on youtube regarding such as there is a lot of info to type out. 

Seconded! Make sure to do some active stretches to warm up that mobilize your core muscle groups.

I know it sounds crazy - but don't forget to stretch your feet/ankles and neck.  So much with golf focuses on back but don't forget these too! 

• Like 1

On 9/14/2021 at 9:22 AM, Paddy_2_Iron said:

how to recover

1. 2 days on 2 days off. Sore on days 3-4.

2. Heat and ibuprofen and walking.

3. Cal Ripken's Perfect Practice. Once you're fatigued, you're only ingraining bad habits. Don't.

4. Same amount on range, but go to practice green too and there just short game.

5. Whole body. Core, neck, wrists, legs, quads...

• Like 1

Sometimes I use the range to work on things at a slower pace, and sometimes I use the range as a workout where I hit balls at a much more rapid pace and at a much higher level of exertion than I would use on the course.  The objective is to make myself tired, as it is important because it gives me a chance to learn about the adjustments that I have to make to maintain leverage during a round of golf.  This helps me in learning how to finish off a round of golf as I fatigue.  Every sport replicates fatigue in training and golf should be no different unless you are just so gifted physically that your body never gets tired.  You truly begin to learn about your game often when you have been compromised physically because your body will have to quickly adapt and adjust to get the task done.  

I was playing golf with my buddy who is an LPGA caddy and it was a 97 degree and humid day in Kansas City and we were walking the course (he is a caddy so he always prefers to walk of course!) We were talking after the round about what happened to me when I "hit the wall" right at hole number 9 when I hit a ball OB from the middle of the fairway,  and then did something I can't say I've ever done on the back nine as a single digit handicap which is not hit one fairway, green, or make even one par!! I thought I was the only one going through hell at that point but he said that he was also, only he managed to notice it and really lock in to each shot and hold his round together. He only shot 3 over on the back nine but he said every par felt like a birdie because he was working so hard mentally and physically.  He noted that us ams are done when it happens to us mentally and physically because we lose track of the details of any given shot and then go off the rails.  He said that he is always monitoring his pros physical status because the margins are even thinner and money is on the line!  He stated that the fortunate part for a pro is that their swings are so ingrained that if you notice them fatiguing physically, but continue to deliver them the details they are missing mentally, they will still execute because you have taken over that aspect for them.  

I performed much better just a few days later in similar conditions on the same course while one of my playing partners hit the wall before my eyes and made 4 doubles in a row while shooting a couple over on the other 14 holes.  The range should be used to work on things yes, but you should also attempt to simulate stress and fatigue as those are also critical adjustments that must be made during a round to finish off and also to maintain performance over long periods of time that often go unnoticed.  It is easy to swing the club when you feel great, but how do you adjust when you feel terrible is more important because this is what will be used to survive any given golf season.  

• Like 1

On 9/15/2021 at 2:57 AM, CasualLie said:

I will get bored long before I ever get fatigued.  Not sure how physical fatigue is possible at a driving range.  My longest range sessions are 3 hours and I could go longer, but I do get bored with it.  As it is I am only hitting around 30 - 40 balls full swing.  The rest is drills, a lot of short game around the green, and some putting.  I'm taking my time, trying to be as intentional as possible.  3 hours is the most though, most of the time it is much closer to 2 hours.

Challenge accepted!!! I challenge you to warm up as normal and then try this "range workout" and lets see how you get along! 

40 shots total

Long clubs: 4 iron through fairway wood

Medium clubs: 8 iron through 5 iron

Short clubs: wedges through 9 iron

Round One:

5 Burpees

5 Air Squats

Hit 10 shots (2 long, 2 medium, 2 short, and 4 drivers) to a simulated fairway switching clubs after each shot and doing your full routine. (The widest fairway will be with driver, the narrowest one will be with wedge) 

No consequences for missing the fairway but note your fairway hit out of 10 (Example 6 of 10 fairway hit)

Round Two: 

10 Burpees

10 Air Squats

Hit 10 shots (2 long, 2 medium, 2 short, and 4 drivers) to a simulated fairway switching clubs after each shot and doing your full routine. (The widest fairway will be with driver, the narrowest one will be with wedge) 

Pay the toll: For every fairway missed under your round one score do 15 Burpees and 15 Air Squats. If you hit your number exactly do 10 Burpees and 10 Air Squats, and if you exceeded your number continue to the next round. 

Round Three: 

15 Burpees

15 Air Squats

Hit 10 shots (2 long, 2 medium, 2 short, and 4 drivers) to a simulated fairway switching clubs after each shot and doing your full routine. (The widest fairway will be with driver, the narrowest one will be with wedge) 

Pay the toll: For every fairway missed under your round one score do 15 Burpees and 15 Air Squats. If you hit your number exactly do 10 Burpees and 10 Air Squats, and if you exceeded your number continue to the next round. 

Round Four: 

20 Burpees

20 Air Squats

Hit 10 shots (2 long, 2 medium, 2 short, and 4 drivers) to a simulated fairway switching clubs after each shot and doing your full routine. (The widest fairway will be with driver, the narrowest one will be with wedge) 

Pay the toll: For every fairway missed under your round one score do 15 Burpees and 15 Air Squats. If you hit your number exactly do 10 Burpees and 10 Air Squats, and if you exceeded your number your workout is complete. 

The goal is for each round to make your heart rate ramp up for the beginning of each round so that you are simulating stress and you must calm your breathing and execute yet by the end of the round your heart rate should have calmed. You will notice that those first shots will require much more attention to detail or your will get sloppy and make mistakes.  Your body is conditioned to hitting golf balls on the range so you have to shock the system because you are not applying any pressure to your practice so you are actually slowing your improvement.  I hit so many golf balls while I am overseas that I literally could hit golf balls for hours and hours without getting tired. Applying pressure to your range session changes all of that I assure you and it made my sessions much more focused and I got more progress out of shorter sessions.   

• Like 1