Brooks Koepka on Tiger, “I’m going to catch him on majors”

bscinstnct

Brooks ain’t catching Tiger, and Tiger ain’t catching Jack. And it’s for the same reason.  

• Like 2

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Maybe he truly believes it and that's the drive he needs to succeed, maybe he's saying it for dramatic effect. Only one person knows the answer.

Is there a chance he will actually achieve it? Almost no chance.

As previously mentioned by another poster, he is tied 9th for all time majors and I think a great goal for him that would actually be achievable and is not too far fetched is to put his number of majors up there with the likes of Hogan. It almost sounds insane to say out loud but he could be a modern equivalent to Hogan (if Hogan wore high tops and sometimes terrible Nike clothing)

Here's some food for thought:

- Hogan didn't win his first major until he was 34 (Koepka is currently 31 and already has 4 to his name)

- Hogan managed 6 of his majors battling the injuries from his car crash, Brooks has a dodgy knee and wrist with modern surgery on his side

- Hogan is seen as one of the best if not the greatest ball strikers of all time. I'm now going to draw the parallel with this quote from Steve Williams who said this in 2015, so bear in mind this is before any of his major victories:

"ONCE IN A GREAT WHILE, a player comes along who hits a golf ball the way it was meant to be hit. Powerful, piercing, the perfect trajectory. Of the young players out there, one I've seen has that special ball flight: Brooks Koepka. Adam and I were paired with him at the Open Championship last year, and from his first tee shot on, I thought, This kid is special. Obviously he's searching to find the other parts of the puzzle, but I haven't seen a ball flight like that since Tiger, and before that, Johnny Miller."

To be compared to Tiger's ball striking like that is huge

- Now I'm going to strap on a helmet and some kevlar, this is going to get controversial. Hogan was not a popular personality, he was seen as cold by some people although massively respected for the quality of his golf. Now I realise Koepka is unpopular with some because he has said some dumb things and often contradicts himself and seems to try cultivate a strange image for himself, but I'm sure he is respected by his peers for his performances

The only glaring difference that I can see performance-wise is Hogan's 64 PGA tour wins, but overall I think grand slam and/or 9 majors is a great goal at this stage

Edited by Flat_Bombs
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Flat_Bombs said:

Yet to be mentioned, he has a super solid, clean swing. Better than most all in the top ten. Simple, powerful, works out of the rough which is a prerequisite for strokes gained, modern golf. Owns the best 5 years of major performance since prime time Tiger, so it's a proven asset.

58 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Now that was a nice car. Remember this kid got one, total dweeb, and you’d see him all over the county with cute chicks in the car. They just wanted to ride in the car but still! 

Here’s that 350 Rocket I was takin bout

F6250BA6-8249-4394-95F0-32887E41BC6A.jpeg

The Olds 350 from the late 60s through the mid-70s had a (cross) head design for flow and a bigger crank.   Good motor.

It was different from the Chevy small block.  Buick had their own version too.  Same goes for Pontiac.   

WTH??

It always baffled me about the GM business model - they had individual good things across their brands but they never pulled it all together to build scalable and reliable models.......then along came Toyota and Honda.    Pontiac and Olds - gone.  

image.png.d88ce97875650442839711b66497fcea.png

• Like 2

Tiger was relatively skinny and flexible when he started on tour.  Bulkier golfers, Tiger included, seem to succumb to injuries.  If Tiger ever plays competitively again, would be an interesting prop bet if he or Brooks wins a next major first. Tiger should be competitive at Augusta for 5 more years.

On a side note, back in winter after the car wreck I thought we might next see Tiger as an assistant captain in a golf cart for the Ryder Cup.  If he is too [fill in the blank] to even do that, I am less optimistic that he will return as a competitive golfer.  With his $$ his rehab program could relocate to Wisconsin for a week.

41 minutes ago, Flat_Bombs said:

Maybe he truly believes it and that's the drive he needs to succeed, maybe he's saying it for dramatic effect. Only one person knows the answer.

As previously mentioned by another poster, he is tied 9th for all time majors and I think a great goal for him that would actually be achievable and is not too far fetched is to put his number of majors up there with the likes of Hogan. It almost sounds insane to say out loud but he could be a modern equivalent to Hogan (if Hogan wore high tops and sometimes terrible Nike clothing)

- Hogan didn't win his first major until he was 34 (Koepka is currently 31 and already has 4 to his name)

- Hogan is seen as one of the best if not the greatest ball strikers of all time. I'm now going to draw the parallel with this quote from Steve Williams who said this in 2015, so bear in mind this is before any of his major victories:

"ONCE IN A GREAT WHILE, a player comes along who hits a golf ball the way it was meant to be hit. Powerful, piercing, the perfect trajectory. Of the young players out there, one I've seen has that special ball flight: Brooks Koepka. Adam and I were paired with him at the Open Championship last year, and from his first tee shot on, I thought, This kid is special. Obviously he's searching to find the other parts of the puzzle, but I haven't seen a ball flight like that since Tiger, and before that, Johnny Miller."

- Now I'm going to strap on a helmet and some kevlar, this is going to get controversial. Hogan was not a popular personality, he was seen as cold by some people although massively respected for the quality of his golf. Now I realise Koepka is unpopular with some because he has said some dumb things and often contradicts himself and seems to try cultivate a strange image for himself, but I'm sure he is respected by his peers for his performances

The only glaring difference that I can see performance-wise is Hogan's 64 PGA tour wins, but overall I think grand slam and/or 9 majors is a great goal at this stage

Thats solid all around FB.

Yes, his ball striking is lethal. As good as it gets. But the devil is in the details. 

And that devil, in golf, is short game and putting!

Hogan himself, I believe, hated putting and even thought they should count as less than a stroke. I recall hearing a story that he often preferred to play “closest to pin” with his friends with points based on hitting the fw, hitting the green, and being closest to the pin. 

BK can destroy a course. Especially if it’s long and straight. No surprise he has a pair of PGAs and US Opens. 

His putting can be excellent but it’s just “very good” overall and not that good past two years. That’ll work when you’re ball striking is on but compared to Tiger who could drain 10 footer after 10 footer on demand?

And BKs game around the greens is statistically very poor. And we all know about TWs game around the greens.

So, I agree with you that winning a grand slam, a few more majors is a realistic goal.

But his game, especially in light of the quality of competition he’s facing, isn’t in the same galaxy as TW 1.0

1 hour ago, dlygrisse said:

Brooks ain’t catching Tiger, and Tiger ain’t catching Jack. And it’s for the same reason.  

So you're telling me Rich Beem, Michael Campbell, Zach Johnson, Angel Cabrera, Trevor Immelman, and YE Yang are all gonna beat Brooks in a major! Talk about a blast from the past.

14 minutes ago, PHILsThemannnn said:

So you're telling me Rich Beem, Michael Campbell, Zach Johnson, Angel Cabrera, Trevor Immelman, and YE Yang are all gonna beat Brooks in a major! Talk about a blast from the past.

No, but Jimmy Walker, Danny Willett, Gary Woodland and Shane Lowery did.

Keep in mind Angel Cabrera and Zach Johnson did win two majors and aren't slouchs.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

1 hour ago, RobotDoctor said:

Keep in mind Angel Cabrera and Zach Johnson did win two majors and aren't slouchs.

Absolutely not. If Adam Scott didn't make that putt on 18 at Augusta, Angel Cabrera would be a 3X Major Champion.  Personal life aside, he was one of my fav golfers.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bscinstnct said:

Not them but

Tiger?

Done it before ; )

0D9137BC-3385-4F7D-B7E5-E69E5F03680E.jpeg

It's funny you put this picture of Tiger up (2019 Masters).  Brooks Keopka was in contention before succumbing to Tiger's steady play and charge.  Nicklaus had that ability to psychologically affect golfers into making mistakes as does Tiger Woods.  Loved seeing the patience and charge by Tiger during the 2019 Masters. 

• Like 2

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

22 minutes ago, RobotDoctor said:

It's funny you put this picture of Tiger up (2019 Masters).  Brooks Keopka was in contention before succumbing to Tiger's steady play and charge.  Nicklaus had that ability to psychologically affect golfers into making mistakes as does Tiger Woods.  Loved seeing the patience and charge by Tiger during the 2019 Masters. 

BK givin TW props here and summarizes it all at 7:50 seconds 🤣

7 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Now that was a nice car. Remember this kid got one, total dweeb, and you’d see him all over the county with cute chicks in the car. They just wanted to ride in the car but still! 

Here’s that 350 Rocket I was takin bout

F65E45EF-A16C-4D85-82DB-7D5DA4483EA7.jpeg

F6250BA6-8249-4394-95F0-32887E41BC6A.jpeg

Ok, I think we all agree he ain’t catching Tiger anywhere but in his mind. Classic cars are more interesting at this point. My 1st car. Got in while I was in HS in 1990. 1968 Camaro SS 396, 4 speed Muncie M22 Rock Crusher, 12 bolt posi, Holley 850 dbl pumper, Hooker headers and Flowmaster mufflers. It was this ugly greenish/gold color. I didn’t care too much. I was more about the go than the show. Such a fun car. Got great gas mileage and handled really well… NOT! 😜

Edited by TiScape

5 hours ago, Flat_Bombs said:

- Hogan managed 6 of his majors battling the injuries from his car crash, Brooks has a dodgy knee and wrist with modern surgery on his side

Hogan grew up under extremely difficult circumstances.  He earned the chip on his shoulder and wore it well.

Brooksie was born in West Palm Beach, FL, hardly the epitome of difficult.  He comes across as a spoiled and entitled brat.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

15 minutes ago, TiScape said:

Ok, I think we all agree he ain’t catching Tiger anywhere but in his mind. Classic cars are more interesting at this point. My 1st car. Got in while I was in HS in 1990. 1968 Camaro SS 396, 4 speed Muncie M22 Rock Crusher, 12 bolt posi, Holley 850 dbl pumper, Hooker headers and Flowmaster mufflers. Such a fun car. Got great gas mileage and handled really well… NOT! 😜

I used to shred those Muncie M22's like they were made out of tin! Only tranny that would stay together in my 55 Chevy was Borg Warner T10.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

4 hours ago, RobotDoctor said:

But only one them is in jail.

Wait.  Too soon?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ShowMe said:

But only one them is in jail.

Wait.  Too soon?

Whether Cabrera is in jail or not doesn't diminish his talent or the fact he won two majors, almost 3 during Tiger's reign.

8 minutes ago, braincramp52 said:

I used to shred those Muncie M22's like they were made out of tin! Only tranny that would stay together in my 55 Chevy was Borg Warner T10.

Haha. We’re they known to be fragile? It came in the car and held together as long as I had it. I know I could easily catch 4th gear in that thing with the 4.11 gears! 

Edited by TiScape

34 minutes ago, TiScape said:

Ok, I think we all agree he ain’t catching Tiger anywhere but in his mind. Classic cars are more interesting at this point. My 1st car. Got in while I was in HS in 1990. 1968 Camaro SS 396, 4 speed Muncie M22 Rock Crusher, 12 bolt posi, Holley 850 dbl pumper, Hooker headers and Flowmaster mufflers. Such a fun car. Got great gas mileage and handled really well… NOT! 😜

Awesome! Good on you for surviving! I don’t think I would have lol

This one kid had one of these. Had it for a week and one day we are driving down this parkway and we see all these flashing lights, traffic slows and

There it is! Was like all mangled like he spun around and slid along the guardrail for a quarter mile! 🤣

EB96D7F1-004F-4258-A561-2365EB5F9BEE.jpeg

Edited by bscinstnct

1 minute ago, bscinstnct said:

Awesome! Good on you for surviving! I don’t think I would have lol

This one kid had one of these. Had it for a week and one day we are driving down this parkway and we see all these flashing lights, traffic slows and

There it is! Was like all mangled like he spun around and slid along the guardrail for a quarter mile! 🤣

EB96D7F1-004F-4258-A561-2365EB5F9BEE.jpeg

Nice Mustang! That sucks. It reminds me of the first time I drove mine after the engine was rebuilt. Making a right turn, gave it some gas and next thing I know I spun around 180°, sitting there facing the wrong way. I respected it very quickly! 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, RobotDoctor said:

Whether Cabrera is in jail or not doesn't diminish his talent or the fact he won two majors, almost 3 during Tiger's reign.

And now he's a Major felon who will be in jail for "almost 3" more years.  Just a little play on words, yo.

41 minutes ago, TiScape said:

Nice Mustang! That sucks. It reminds me of the first time I drove mine after the engine was rebuilt. Making a right turn, gave it some gas and next thing I know I spun around 180°, sitting there facing the wrong way. I respected it very quickly! 

Yeah, this other kid cracked the front piece on a new GT pulling out fast out of a parking lot the day he bought it!! He was cryin. Lot of low end on those. 

With my dope Cutlas, nice low end (nowhere near a muscle bar but not bad) but no traction so the tire just spin  lol. Lotta burnt rubber, was fun. 

• Like 1

Am I crazy for reading this like he is being hypocritical about his competitiveness? The ones he compares himself to want to beat everyone else in everything they do....  In golf that's Tiger and Jack.  I can see that in the majors, but if you were really THAT competitive, it wouldn't matter what the event was - you would do everything you could to win.  Tiger has 82 and Jack has 73, so they cared about EVERY event they played.  He seems to want to pick and choose when he is competitive...which is the opposite of the ultimate competitor.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, j.b.newton said:

Am I crazy for reading this like he is being hypocritical about his competitiveness? The ones he compares himself to want to beat everyone else in everything they do....  In golf that's Tiger and Jack.  I can see that in the majors, but if you were really THAT competitive, it wouldn't matter what the event was - you would do everything you could to win.  Tiger has 82 and Jack has 73, so they cared about EVERY event they played.  He seems to want to pick and choose when he is competitive...which is the opposite of the ultimate competitor.

Good point. Seems strange to only want to be the “ultimate competitor” in majors. It makes me think about the NHL though. There is a huge difference in effort in the regular season vs. the playoffs. So it’s definitely possible for these world class athletes to “turn it on and off”. One definitely can’t argue with 4 majors before he was 30. Pretty small class of golfers have accomplished that. And I don’t know if he exactly compared himself to Tiger in the regard you are referring to. He just said he will match Tigers majors total. If you asked him if he was as hungry or as competitive as Tiger week in and week out, I’m sure he wouldn’t (couldn’t) say yes. It’s clear that in general, Tiger and him are worlds apart. Heck, Tiger and anyone sans Jack. 

Edited by TiScape

1 hour ago, TiScape said:

Haha. We’re they known to be fragile? It came in the car and held together as long as I had it. I know I could easily catch 4th gear in that thing with the 4.11 gears! 

No, the M21 was stock in a lot of those Chevys and was pretty fragile. The M22 was actually a pretty good transmission but in my opinion didn't come close to being as bulletproof as the T10. I was running a 427 L88 motor in my 55 so that motor was hard on tranny's and rear ends. 😁

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

1 hour ago, ShowMe said:

And now he's a Major felon who will be in jail for "almost 3" more years.  Just a little play on words, yo.

And what does that matter?  What Cabrera did has no effect on me.  I fail to see what this has to do with the subject matter.  

6 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Not them but

Tiger?

Done it before ; )

0D9137BC-3385-4F7D-B7E5-E69E5F03680E.jpeg

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2021/05/23/you-stiffed-me-recalling-the-time-brooks-koepka-asked-phil-mickelson-autograph/ 

Just saw this and found a funny story about Phil not giving Brooks an autograph. Looks like Brooks finally got it this past May

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, braincramp52 said:

No, the M21 was stock in a lot of those Chevys and was pretty fragile. The M22 was actually a pretty good transmission but in my opinion didn't come close to being as bulletproof as the T10. I was running a 427 L88 motor in my 55 so that motor was hard on tranny's and rear ends. 😁

🤤 Lucky you! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RobotDoctor said:

And what does that matter?  What Cabrera did has no effect on me.  I fail to see what this has to do with the subject matter.  

Sorry, Mr. Spock.

• Confused 1