Went “oldschool” for irons.. oh my!

Kale_m

I’ve had a similar experience. Been gaming a set of Titleist 718 AP3s and don’t get me wrong great set of irons and like most offerings today stronger lofts more modern shaft. Well I have an older set of Ping i5s that I will never get rid of and being the year they are the loft a a bit weaker and they have DG S300s. Took them out yesterday and wow finished the round saying to myself why did I stop using these again?  Bottom line I hit them longer (with weaker lofts) and with tighter dispersion… In the last two years I’ve tried a few modern offerings, the aforementioned AP3s, Mizuno Hot Metals with Nippon NS Pro shafts, a set of Srixons with Nippon Pro first gen shaft and Ping Es…all great offerings but one thing they all seemed to have is distance control that sometimes was unpredictable. Shots would literally go an extra 5-10 yards with in some cases is great. I guess what I’m saying is I think as Golferx enthusiasts we get caught up in numbers and new offerings that at the end of the day don’t always perform they way we would expect or want them to. Meanwhile the Pings are staying put. Think I’m pretty lucky to have a good set of i5s as they are pretty scarce out there. I’ve come to the conclusion the best clubs have already been done and are often hard to find…Not to dog the manufacturers these days but I feel the focus on better shaft selection has overwhelmed head designs that perhaps have reached their limits within the current rules. Bottom line Ping makes a great club and their engineers know what they are doing a lot more than us.

Edited by jdowning111
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kale_m said:

Played a set of p750 the last 1.5 seasons. Really like them but have been considering going back to some blades. Well this set of srixon z945 irons popped up on a local but and sell. Decided why not. Traded my p750 heads for them. I plugged in my px6.5 shafts. Hit them for the first time tonight. Oh my! These might be the softest, best feeling and sounding irons I have ever had! I have played lots of irons, also lots of Mizunos, mp4 /5 / 18/20 and these are waaayyy softer!!! Great shape for being from 2013-2014. 2 rounds the next 2 days. See how they work on the course! 

image.jpg

The z945s and z745s are among my favourite irons that I've never owned! Hit a lot, but never bought a set, though I do use the z745 A wedge as my gap wedge now, along with MP4 irons. Feel is certainly as good as the Mizunos. Better? Maybe. Makes me want to get some of the 945s now.

1529473441_Srixonz745Awedgesole.jpg.e62d3cd13842e1607f5b4fd411334c0b.jpg

945 always looked a Beautiful Iron..like Z Forged 🙂 The i5's are a suprise, G5s were a favourite! Plenty of great Classics out there to rebuild and Love again.

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

Wasn't this the model that Harold Varner III and Matsuyama hung on to forever?

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

4 hours ago, RogerinNewZealand said:

945 always looked a Beautiful Iron..like Z Forged 🙂 The i5's are a suprise, G5s were a favourite! Plenty of great Classics out there to rebuild and Love again.

I have hit the z-forged. They look huge to me for some reason. Not as compact as these 

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

4 hours ago, Valtiel said:

Wasn't this the model that Harold Varner III and Matsuyama hung on to forever?

Believe so. 

these will get stripped to raw over the winter and will add some custom ferrules 

• Like 1

Tri-hot double wide 

7 hours ago, jdowning111 said:

I’ve had a similar experience. Been gaming a set of Titleist 718 AP3s and don’t get me wrong great set of irons and like most offerings today stronger lofts more modern shaft. Well I have an older set of Ping i5s that I will never get rid of and being the year they are the loft a a bit weaker and they have DG S300s. Took them out yesterday and wow finished the round saying to myself why did I stop using these again?  Bottom line I hit them longer (with weaker lofts) and with tighter dispersion… In the last two years I’ve tried a few modern offerings, the aforementioned AP3s, Mizuno Hot Metals with Nippon NS Pro shafts, a set of Srixons with Nippon Pro first gen shaft and Ping Es…all great offerings but one thing they all seemed to have is distance control that sometimes was unpredictable. Shots would literally go an extra 5-10 yards with in some cases is great. I guess what I’m saying is I think as Golferx enthusiasts we get caught up in numbers and new offerings that at the end of the day don’t always perform they way we would expect or want them to. Meanwhile the Pings are staying put. Think I’m pretty lucky to have a good set of i5s as they are pretty scarce out there. I’ve come to the conclusion the best clubs have already been done and are often hard to find…Not to dog the manufacturers these days but I feel the focus on better shaft selection has overwhelmed head designs that perhaps have reached their limits within the current rules. Bottom line Ping makes a great club and their engineers know what they are doing a lot more than us.

This is a good point and one I hadn't really thought of until now, "feel the focus on better shaft selection has overwhelmed head design."  If memory serves, Karsten usually had a shaft and head combo in mind when designing his clubs.  Admittedly I started the game as a kid with way too heavy DG shafts but when I got my Eye2's in high school (still have them :)) it was a game changer.  Not to mention the innovation in the sole and peripheral weighting.  To this day I miss a little offset in the irons on modern clubs...maybe not full Eye2 offset, but just a little is OK by me.  I think Adam Scott and some of the older tour players still have a little offset in their irons for the same reasons, just a look thing from their early days in the game.  

• Like 1

Ping G410 Driver
Cally Epic 4 Wood

Founders Club 200 Series MBs or BeCu Ping Eye2 or MacGregor CB92s, Ping Eye2 SW

Ping Zing2, MyDay in BeCu or Goodwood SS Sunday

Wait… 8 year old clubs are considered old school now??  I still have full sets of black oxide 545’s, 745’s & 945’s in my garage.

• Like 2

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S))

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 17* (stock HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

RTX ZipCore 52* Mid (DG Tour Issue)

SM9 58-10S (DG)

HiToe 64* (HiRev 2.0)
Eleven CS

Any urethane “X” ball

Beautiful score!  I’m with the other posters that those are hardly old school though. Lol. As I the days go by I am more fond of feel/performance than I am with when something was released. Play them and enjoy!

• Like 2

I love golf

Driver:  2018 Cally Rogue 10.5* (Set to 12.5*)

Fairway Metals:  Ping G30 14.5* and 18*

Irons:   PXG Gen3 0311P (4-G) MMT80 Stiff

Wedges:  PXG 0311 Forged 54*/58* MMT80 Stiff

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab “Double Wide” 34”

Bag:  G-Fore Daytona Plus (AKA: Vessel Lite)

13 minutes ago, 95124hacker said:

Wait… 8 year old clubs are considered old school now??  I still have full sets of black oxide 545’s, 745’s & 945’s in my garage.

Well, there are a few more models since these. Old school enough!!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tri-hot double wide 

More like middle school, but still very nice. 🤣

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

53 minutes ago, llamont said:

Beautiful score!  I’m with the other posters that those are hardly old school though. Lol. As I the days go by I am more fond of feel/performance than I am with when something was released. Play them and enjoy!

As usual we are of the same old school and thought

• Like 4

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

44 minutes ago, Kale_m said:

Well, there are a few more models since these. Old school enough!!! 

Yep and the newest club in my signature the M-6 is considered "old" by some now--- What it is 2 years and 3 golf generations old now

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Yep and the newest club in my signature the M-6 is considered "old" by some now--- What it is 2 years and 3 golf generations old now

It's especially funny to me, because of my relative short time in the game.  I only started playing golf 23 years ago.

My MP37s are considered ancient by some, but they came out several years after that late start in the game.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

4 hours ago, 95124hacker said:

Guess I'm playing in the geriatric league (Ping i3 irons) but still love their feel and look!

• Like 3

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

18 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

It's especially funny to me, because of my relative short time in the game.  I only started playing golf 23 years ago.

My MP37s are considered ancient by some, but they came out several years after that late start in the game.

I started right around the same time (1996) and my "old school" irons were built in 1984.  Those are still significantly a recent release considering what guys on the Classic forum play on a weekly basis...

• Like 2

Driver PING G SF Tec

Wood PING G (18.5*)

Irons PING G30 (6-SW)

Putter PING DS72 2021 (35")

Bag Jones Classic Stand

Cart Clicgear 3.5+

18 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

I think in the "mainstream" way of thinking now days anything older than 6 months or 2 generations is considered old and outdated. I do not pay all that hooplaugh any attention. 2 weeks ago I was paired with a guy in the Shootout. pretty decent player with new stuff. He was maybe at times 5 yards longer off the tee than I---- What blew his mind was the fact I could keep up with his 3 wood shots with my antique V-Steel 3 wood. What blew his mind though when on green approaches I was one or 2 clubs behind him. He was hitting some newer TM irons. Could not absolutely understand about lofts. I hope I get him this week because I am going to really blow his mind--- I had been hitting my FC-4000s all week playing vintage golf and hitting them well. They are going in the front line set for this weeks Shootout along with the M-6 and V-Steel 3 and 7 woods. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, rwc356 said:

Guess I'm playing in the geriatric league (Ping i3 irons) but still love their feel and look!

That is the league NRJyzr and myself play in and it is fun

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jaygolf37 said:

Short version: These are the best combination of feel, distance, control, and forgiveness I have ever played.  I freaking love them.2D5907B4-1484-40DE-A079-2EF8AA8035E1.jpeg.db6126fe747e7f48a4b447d87bd40cac.jpeg

Hey Coach glad to see you on here again------ And yep I see those older Wilson CBs

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 14max said:

I started right around the same time (1996) and my "old school" irons were built in 1984.  Those are still significantly a recent release considering what guys on the Classic forum play on a weekly basis...

LOl yup some of us do play older than that stuff but 84 is classic enough IMHO

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ripken08 said:

945s "old school"  LMAO

When I referred to them as old school it was to the point of moving to something older rather then to the latest and greatest 

• Like 2

Tri-hot double wide 

7 hours ago, Kale_m said:

When I referred to them as old school it was to the point of moving to something older rather then to the latest and greatest 

Oh some of us knew where you were coming from all along and I for one agreed with you