2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Azinger calls out Koepka on his Ryder Cup comments

ShowMe

18 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

Is below the Koepka commentary (from Golf Digest interview) which the OP is about ?

For virtually all of your career, you get to set the schedule and make the rules and be responsible for your own performance. How does that mesh with the Ryder Cup experience? Is it strange being on a team?

It’s different. It’s hectic. It’s a bit odd, if I’m honest. I don’t want to say it’s a bad week. We’re just so individualized, and everybody has their routine and a different way of doing things, and now, it’s like, OK, we have to have a meeting at this time or go do this or go do that. It’s the opposite of what happens during a major week. If I break down a major week, it’s so chill. You wouldn’t even believe me. I go to the course. I play nine holes. I go work out. Other than that, I’m sitting and watching TV, taking my mind off golf with relaxing stuff. The physical part, I can handle. The mental side, you have to be able to turn it off. Sometimes, the power comes from being able to turn it on. But for me, I get power from turning it off. That’s been a huge, huge thing for me that I really haven’t understood until the past five or six years of my career.

Yes that was his comment.  Brooks is right in my opinion.  Golf is an individual sport.  Once every 2 years it becomes a team sport.  If you are a person that goes to the course do your work and leave, then the extra stuff that none of us knows about you have to do, I can see not enjoying.  Doesn’t mean you don’t want to win or not love your country.  Azinger’s comments are just a talking head that needs to open his mouth and share his opinion.  

So did Azinger make any comments about BDC and him wrecking his hands prepping for a long drive competition the day after the RC ends.  Seems he cares more about that than the RC.

• Like 2

Driver - Testing in Progress

3 - 6 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (19*, 21*, 24*, 27*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

SW - Cleveland RTX4 54*

LW - Cleveland RTX6 58*

LW2 - Cleveland RTX4 62*

Putter - Sled 01

Ball - Venture RS-1

38 minutes ago, hogans71 said:

And therein lies the problem. The notion that a certain select number of players(and this goes back a good 20 years) cannot put aside their all about me, monetary existence speaks volumes- at least in my eyes. At no point in the history of golf are more (relatively, of course) mediocre golfers being awarded with wealth beyond their wildest dreams, yet feel as if this event is some sort of inconvenience, is absolutely stunning. And before anyone goes all fun house mirrors, as a commodity trader of 25 years, nobody loves the free market enterprise more than me. 

I just find it amazing that a number of dudes don't get completely jacked for this event. Many of us find this to be one of the best sporting events of any season. 

I don't know. I guess hitting 50 does this to ya...

If the US wasn’t the overwhelming favorite every time there would be more passion. There’s not much to gain for these top guys on the US squad. Similar to USA basketball. 

• Like 1

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

NLU 18* DI Ventus Black 10X
Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Vokey SM8 M 50*/Vokey SM4 S 56*/Vokey SM8 T 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35” 
Tour BX S

Brooks is all about Brooks, and I've already stated weeks ago how the Ryder Cup means nothing to him...would you really want to be his partner???  Na, Kisner, or Reed would cut off their arm to be on the team...hell, give me Charlie Hoffman...awesome player, and the guys would live him!  BTW, not crazy about Webb Simpson having success either.....don't ask me why....can't put my finger on it...just a hunch.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

The 2021 US Ryder Cup epic

So It Begins Helms Deep GIF by Giphy QA

you had me at helms deep!

-chris

• Haha 2

Srixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape

1 hour ago, kasting333 said:

If the US wasn’t the overwhelming favorite every time there would be more passion. There’s not much to gain for these top guys on the US squad. Similar to USA basketball. 

Europe has won 9 of the past 12 Ryder Cup's.

• Like 2

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

40 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

Yes they have….and been underdogs in all of them.  Which is what he was saying. How many on the US squad lost those 9 times?  

Part of the issue for the US guys, and it sounds minor but is it really, is they do this every year.  Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup. I am sure it would get old quickly for the top guys that are expected to play in all of them.

Most all of the world wants to beat the mighty USA.  Pure and simple in most endeavors that is fact.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

4 hours ago, Shilgy said:

Do you have a link supporting that hypothesis?  I don’t recall Reed saying anything similar.

Is the hate for Reed really so great that, for example, a Sergio or Poulter is praised for their  gang ho enthusiasm about their Ryder Cup play based on team but a Reed is bashed for his enthusiasm because it is decided it is for ego?

3 hours ago, jj9000 said:

Help me understand the twisted logic...smothered in Reed hate here.

Reed is on a Team.

The goal of the Team is to Win.

Reed wants to Win.

A result of Reed Winning helps the Team.

A result of Reed Losing hurts the Team.

Reed wanted to Win...and he Won (even under your made-up pretense)

Reed helped his Team.

...but yeah...let's get wrapped around the axle about supposed media driven nicknames...which have zero to do with the results.  Call him "I-Hate-Reed-For-Fill-In-The-Blank" if it makes you feel better.  I don't really give a damn if he's called "Captain America"...or "Chump that hits golf balls".  The bottom line is that he wanted to Win...he did...and he still does.

I don't know why my response was twisted into a "Reed hate" post as I said nothing to that end, and you seem awfully defensive @jj9000 for someone that is ostensibly NOT Patrick or his wife, so let's take it down a notch. 

What I AM saying is that wrapping this up in nauseating amounts of nationalism for the sake of chest beating feels gross and fabricated, and has nothing to do with winning. There is a lot hate around Reed, most of which is self inflicted by his words and actions, but if he can help the team win then he should be chosen, NOT because USA! USA! USA! The problem is that he did not qualify with his play AND was very recently severely ill. He is also an EXTREMELY aggressive player in these sorts of comps according to those that have played doubles with him, and that is a big risk for someone not currently at or near the top of his game. 

The other reason I want to pump the brakes on the USA USA! stuff is that it feels like the same blind fanboying that happened around someone like Tim Tebow. Granted Reed is far more accomplished and talented, but its this pseudo cult of personality that overrides rational decision making because he did well in the past and shushed McIlroy. Cool, that is/was fun at the time, but we're dealing in the present reality of a recently hospitalized player who, even without said hospitalization, did not qualify on his own merits. No amount of yelling in bold letters makes this NOT a very relevant factor. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

10 hours ago, jj9000 said:

I'd much rather Reed be on the squad than Brooks.

Love him or Hate him...Reed wants to win for the USA.

He wants to win so badly that he's not afraid to stand-up and call out the politics...even if it hurts feelings...and pisses people off.

Remember this??

AshamedUncommonAfricanmolesnake.webp

Then about a minute later...nope...not in MY HOUSE...USA...USA...USA!!

BabyishIndelibleFulmar.webp

The best part about it is you can see Rors smiling when he walks away. Fierce competition but done in the right spirit.

• Like 4

Azinger has certainly parlayed beating the worst European Team of its generation into some form of savant like status when it comes to the Ryder Cup.

The comments in the interview were not great but equally, I am not sure that they were that that bad. I mean was there anything that he said which surprised people? Reading them - lack of time, taking players out of their routine, etc - there was nothing in there that hasn’t already been acknowledged by others. It just seems that Brooks has the attitude that he is not going to hide those things. It’s a far cry from the Brooks that was so dull that they didn’t even ask him to come into the press tent. I prefer this Brooks!

Also on Patrick Reed being a better pick than him? This is the same Patrick Reed that set out to undermine Spieth before the 2018 Cup (a fight he must have know there was no way he was going to win). Then when he gets there, he threw Furyk under the bus, claimed that he carried Tiger when it was patently obvious that Reed himself played horrendously and then he went after Spieth again.

• Like 3

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

7 hours ago, Fairway14 said:

Oh Europe must be the favorite to win again this year, right?

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

NLU 18* DI Ventus Black 10X
Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Vokey SM8 M 50*/Vokey SM4 S 56*/Vokey SM8 T 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35” 
Tour BX S

14 hours ago, jj9000 said:

He wants to win so badly that he's not afraid to stand-up and call out the politics...even if it hurts feelings...and pisses people off.

Remember this??

How many eternities ago was that?

seinfeld-george-costanza.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, kasting333 said:

Oh Europe must be the favorite to win again this year, right?

I imagine that Team USA players head into the Ryder Cup hearing about and knowing that Team Europe has been winning. The sentiment is likely "let's not lose again" . Labeling one team a "favorite" might be a media or spectator thing but I doubt the players do it.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

14 hours ago, jj9000 said:

Remember this??

• Like 1

This is all orchestrated planned banter to get the buzz going on the socials and sites like this.  

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

15 hours ago, ShowMe said:

"Brooks, I just read that article, I’m not sure he loves the Ryder Cup that much," Azinger said during an NBC Golf call with the media. "If he doesn’t love it, he should relinquish his spot and get people there who do love the Ryder Cup."

"Not everybody embraces it. But if you don’t love it, and you’re not sold out, then I think Brooks should, you know, especially being hurt, consider whether or not he really wants to be there."

"And then if you add the Bryson dynamic to that, that might be an easier decision for him. But Brooks is one of the most candid, most honest guys there ever ism and if he’s blatantly honest with himself and he doesn’t want to be there, he should come out and say it. But, I don’t know, I’m a fan of both players, and I just feel like it’s gonna be one or the other. They’re gonna put the weight of the team on their shoulders or they’re gonna be a pain in the neck."

Wow.  Way to go Brooksie.  Creating dissention before the match even starts.

'Dissention'?  Ha!

I guarantee you none - not one - of the 11 other players on the Ryder Cup roster care one lick about Brooks' Golf Digest interview, or Azinger's comments during a media call (lol).

More stupid, eye-rolling crap from the usual suspects like Azinger in an effort to create 'drama' and try to steer ratings up for the Ryder Cup next week.  As if these guys are literally going to war and they'll be taking caskets back to Europe when its all over.

It's. A. Golf. Exhibition.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, JaNelson38 said:

'Dissention'?  Ha!

I guarantee you none - not one - of the 11 other players on the Ryder Cup roster care one lick about Brooks' Golf Digest interview, or Azinger's comments during a media call (lol).

More stupid, eye-rolling crap from the usual suspects like Azinger in an effort to create 'drama' and try to steer ratings up for the Ryder Cup next week.  As if these guys are literally going to war and they'll be taking caskets back to Europe when its all over.

It's. A. Golf. Exhibition.

Yep, the other players have to disagree with him or even give a rip about his opinions before there is "dissention".  

He really didn't say all that much other than the week is different and the way it works is counter to his normal routine - duh.  

• Like 1