Azinger calls out Koepka on his Ryder Cup comments

ShowMe

3 hours ago, Bye said:

Either would work. He had an out, but has chosen another path.

Personally I think it’s a little disrespectful to those who have made the Ryder Cup what it is today. 

You mean a the primary source of income for the PGA and whatever the organization is called that runs the Euro side? Because that’s what it is. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BNGL said:

You mean a the primary source of income for the PGA and whatever the organization is called that runs the Euro side? Because that’s what it is. 

Maybe, but it would not still exist if didn’t make a profit.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

21 minutes ago, Bye said:

Maybe, but it would not still exist if didn’t make a profit.

Right? It’s kills for the for the PGA. Which is why I said you mean the primary source of income for the PGA?

if you meant that it would still exist if it didn’t make a profit. I doubt it tbh, the PGA, USGA, PGA Tour aren’t much into history as they claim to be it’s all about dollars. They wouldn’t host it biannually to lose money

Edited by BNGL

28 minutes ago, BNGL said:

Right? It’s kills for the for the PGA. Which is why I said you mean the primary source of income for the PGA?

if you meant that it would still exist if it didn’t make a profit. I doubt it tbh, the PGA, USGA, PGA Tour aren’t much into history as they claim to be it’s all about dollars. They wouldn’t host it biannually to lose money

No, you seem to be using my comments to push your own issues.

I was talking about the effort made by the players who cared about making it something. If it helped their careers in the process then great, good luck to them.

Thats all.

From what I have read, it didn’t make a profit until the tv rights came in. We all know that it would be pulled if that was still the case.

Titleist - Pro V1

5 hours ago, oikos1 said:

In the Golf Digest interview, Koepka also said "I’d love to represent my country. I think that’s fun. It’s just maybe not in my DNA, the team sports thing" in relation to playing in the Olympics.  I get that.  Represent your country on a team but always playing your own ball, your own game. 

So I'm trying to understand, since a player doesn't have to play in every match, why not have someone like Koepka just play the two four-ball matches and the singles match.  He plays his own ball the entire time and it shouldn't matter if his "partner" screws up a hole in the four-ball 'cause he's Brooksie.  Surely he can beat two guys head to head. 

And then I continued reading the article and saw this:

1631121972735.jpeg

BK like Paris Hilton yo!  🤣

B642DD94-DECC-4A6D-841A-1B043CE07D3C.jpeg

0147CC32-86B6-4B3F-92A1-6D57F3AF27DB.jpeg

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bye said:

No, you seem to be using my comments to push your own issues.

I was talking about the effort made by the players who cared about making it something. If it helped their careers in the process then great, good luck to them.

Thats all.

From what I have read, it didn’t make a profit until the tv rights came in. We all know that it would be pulled if that was still the case.

Oh because that thesis was evident from a dozen words. Hardly anyone made a significant amount of money until television became wide spread. But yes the players that made it might take exception to it, they’ll be dead soon though.

6 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

BK like Paris Hilton yo!  🤣

B642DD94-DECC-4A6D-841A-1B043CE07D3C.jpeg

0147CC32-86B6-4B3F-92A1-6D57F3AF27DB.jpeg

He looks like one of Liberace's boy toys...not that there's anything wrong with that.

• Haha 4

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

13 hours ago, BNGL said:

Oh because that thesis was evident from a dozen words. Hardly anyone made a significant amount of money until television became wide spread. But yes the players that made it might take exception to it, they’ll be dead soon though.

Ok, so what’s your perspective on this then?

Titleist - Pro V1

55 minutes ago, BNGL said:

What specifically would you like my perspective on? 

Anything you like, enlighten me.

Titleist - Pro V1

On 9/17/2021 at 12:42 AM, MattyO1984 said:

The more I think about this, the more I just don’t get the controversy that this has seemed to have caused. At no point does anything he say anything which makes me question his patriotism. Heck, if the USA are serious about reversing their fortunes in the event should the USGA not be looking at this and thinking the guy has a point? If we want these guys to win then maybe we should let them prepare optimally to go ahead and play their best golf?

Reading the interview again. We have Koepka saying:-

“It’s different. It’s hectic. It’s a bit odd, if I’m honest. I don’t want to say it’s a bad week. We’re just so individualized, and everybody has their routine and a different way of doing things, and now, it’s like, OK, we have to have a meeting at this time or go do this or go do that. It’s the opposite of what happens during a major week.”

Then he says:-

“It’s tough. There are times where I’m like, I won my match. I did my job. What do you want from me? I know how to take responsibility for the shots I hit every week. Now, somebody else hit a bad shot and left me in a bad spot, and I know this hole is a loss. That’s new, and you have to change the way you think about things. You go from an individual sport all the time to a team sport one week a year. It’s so far from my normal routine. I can barely see my [personal] team. It’s hard to even go to the gym. At the Presidents Cup in New York, we had to go to the gym at 5 a.m. to get it in. We went to the Equinox, and it was me, Dustin and Tiger, and we come back and go to a team meeting. Under regular conditions, I take naps a lot. I might take an hour, hour-and-a-half nap, or just chill on the couch and watch “SportsCenter,” before rounds, after rounds, whatever. There’s no time to do that at the Ryder Cup. There’s no time to decompress.”

Is it just me or is it not really that hard a position to follow? The Ryder Cup makes it difficult to prepare himself they way that he would normally prepare himself to play a big competition. Surely, with all the obligations that comes as no surprise to anyone?! At no point is he saying he doesn’t want to play.

Its just a case of the old "be honest and get slamed" 

His litterly just being honest saying for 51 weeks of the year im all about me, my routine, playing an individual sport, what I like and what I enjoy.

For week 52 im being told what to do, how to do it, trying to play a team sport and its hard to adjust to it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

This is one of those times of being honest that’s just like when your wife asks  you that trick question about how she looks in a certain outfit. Try your best to mumble and run out of the room , but don’t say anything clearly.😂 unless of course you enjoy the drama as he must do because he continuously does this.

i’d like to see him go to the Tiger Woods school of interview. Rather enjoy watching Tiger not give these idiots any quotes to talk about. Idiots meaning the media.

Never, ever, ever say anything negative about your wife's hair.  Ever.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Forged4ever said:

I agree 💯 with Zinger!!

He "gets it" and he always has!!

There are certain things that can be taught, coached, drilled & instilled into someone.

Passion, Drive & Heart❤️ are not three of those things.

They also are not selectively brought to bear~

One either has that passion and drive to win each and EVERY time that they step onto the course, court, field or ice, or they do not~

Cheers🍻

RP

And yet Brooksie had enough passion, drive and heart to win 4 majors.  How many does Azinger have??? 1

It won't be long before he has more tour wins than Azinger.

For Azinger to take shots at Koepka based on his interpretation of the interview, did that take passion, drive, or heart? Or just a microphone?

Recently I heard Hal Sutton say on his podcast 50% of the media/commenters know nothing about golf, the other 50% just want to tear you down.  No surprise where Zinger is.

2 minutes ago, ShowMe said:

Never, ever, ever say anything negative about your wife's hair.  Ever.

Oh don’t I know it.  I married young.  A long time ago.  And I learned this the hard way. Because I had nobody to tell me before hand.  

Not that I was purposely  critical.  But she asked. And I was honest. Only happened once.   As god as my witness I’ve never fell for that trap again.  

• Haha 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Just now, CasualLie said:

And yet Brooksie had enough passion, drive and heart to win 4 majors.  How many does Azinger have??? 1

It won't be long before he has more tour wins than Azinger.

For Azinger to take shots at Koepka based on his interpretation of the interview, did that take passion, drive, or heart? Or just a microphone?

Recently I heard Hal Sutton say on his podcast 50% of the media/commenters know nothing about golf, the other 50% just want to tear you down.  No surprise where Zinger is.

What shots did he take?  All he suggested was that Brooksie drop out and let somebody else play if he really doesn't want to play in the tournament.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ShowMe said:

What shots did he take?  All he suggested was that Brooksie drop out and let somebody else play if he really doesn't want to play in the tournament.

Why did it need to be suggested?  And suggested ad nauseum?  And suggested after his so called reading of the interview.  Who  the f cares what Zinger thinks?

Yes, Zinger was asked and he answered, but would it have killed him to say "I read the interview and as a past captain I can see where he's coming from.  I don't necessarily agree, it's not how I approached the RC.  But the bottom line is, a healthy Koepka can play and win.  Once that first tee shot goes off, there is no doubt in my mind we will get his best.  We are talking about a 4 time major winner; the clubs will do the talking."

See? That's how you conduct yourself with class and support your team and all the "characters". Any idiot can chirp with the rest of the media troublemakers.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Oh don’t I know it.  I married young.  A long time ago.  And I learned this the hard way. Because I had nobody to tell me before hand.  

Not that I was purposely  critical.  But she asked. And I was honest. Only happened once.   As god as my witness I’ve never fell for that trap again.  

If ya say something and it’s followed by silence.

Then you say her name.

And she says “what?”

You’re screwed 🤣

• Haha 2

Just now, bladehunter said:

Lol.  Newly married young men need some sort of reference guide to use for situations like that.  I always tell them to use the word "valid" a lot.  As in, "Your concerns about my going golfing instead of cutting the grass are very valid and I will get to it tomorrow."  Because most of the time they're not necessarily trying to win an argument.  It's more that they want the confirmation that their point of view is valid.  Took me 10 years to figure that out, unfortunately.  Would have saved me a lot of heartache.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CasualLie said:

Why did it need to be suggested?  And suggested ad nauseum?  And suggested after his so called reading of the interview.  Who  the f cares what Zinger thinks?

Yes, Zinger was asked and he answered, but would it have killed him to say "I read the interview and as a past captain I can see where he's coming from.  I don't necessarily agree, it's not how I approached the RC.  But the bottom line is, a healthy Koepka can play and win.  Once that first tee shot goes off, there is no doubt in my mind we will get his best.  We are talking about a 4 time major winner; the clubs will do the talking."

See? That's how you conduct yourself with class and support your team and all the "characters". Any idiot can chirp with the rest of the media troublemakers.

Or, Koepka could have just said that he was looking forward to representing his country in this historic event instead of seeming to complain about it.  

See?  That's how you conduct yourself with class and support your team and all the "characters."

2 minutes ago, ShowMe said:

Lol.  Newly married young men need some sort of reference guide to use for situations like that.  I always tell them to use the word "valid" a lot.  As in, "Your concerns about my going golfing instead of cutting the grass are very valid and I will get to it tomorrow."  Because most of the time they're not necessarily trying to win an argument.  It's more that they want the confirmation that their point of view is valid.  Took me 10 years to figure that out, unfortunately.  Would have saved me a lot of heartache.   

Oh man. Soooo true.  I use the “ I’m not arguing with you , I’m just answering Your  questions “ line a lot.  Lol.  That’s for when the answer doesn’t suit her.  I’m really disagreeing. But it’s just a gentler way to introduce reality into the convo.  

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

8 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

If ya say something and it’s followed by silence.

Then you say her name.

And she says “what?”

You’re screwed 🤣

I just go outside and stay till dinner time then.  And remember. I’m the chef . So she’ll come looking for me eventually!  😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 minute ago, ShowMe said:

Or, Koepka could have just said that he was looking forward to representing his country in this historic event instead of seeming to complain about it.  

See?  That's how you conduct yourself with class and support your team and all the "characters."

He could have, but that's not him.  But he is the guy that can play, far better than Azinger ever did.

I'm not some Koepka fan, don't care really about almost everything of every player outside the ropes (few exceptions).  And I don't expect anything different from the media other than a lot of garbage.  But gee... For one event, for just a couple of weeks can the pressers actually support their team rather than tear it down and stir the pot???

I haven't read one article overseas trying to play up dissension on the Euro team.  And they do have their own characters and dislike of each other.

Just now, CasualLie said:

He could have, but that's not him.  But he is the guy that can play, far better than Azinger ever did.

I'm not some Koepka fan, don't care really about almost everything of every player outside the ropes (few exceptions).  And I don't expect anything different from the media other than a lot of garbage.  But gee... For one event, for just a couple of weeks can the pressers actually support their team rather than tear it down and stir the pot???

I haven't read one article overseas trying to play up dissension on the Euro team.  And they do have their own characters and dislike of each other.

Well, then I guess Azinger could have said what you suggested, but that's not him either.  What's good for the goose is good for the gander, right?  Can't hold people to different standards.

Regarding dissention on the Euro team, there have been several articles about Harrington's and Garcia's feud.  Google it.  The difference is that the Euro's seem to be able to put bad feelings aside at Ryder Cup time.  Bryson said today that he wants to end the feud with Brooksie.  Let's see if Brooksie is mature enough to do that.

• Like 2

On 9/16/2021 at 3:42 PM, NJBigFish22 said:

Remember this is an odd year, usually the captain only gets 2 picks, so I think with automatic qualifiers it would be hard to kick some one of cause a perceived lack of patriotism.  The only real way to get tour pros excited, would be to put up $25 million or some other dollar amount.  After all green is usually the first color after Red, White and Blue.

I'm not sure this is 100% true or even close. It's personality for many. I know everyone here who's followed sports has seen documentary after documentary of guys and gals who are top tier performers in their respective sports and very wealthy to boot but are hyper competitive in EVERYTHING they do. That's pure dna and nurture. It may fade a bit for some but for others it's hard wired. For 5 bucks or five million.

The fun part is we get to talk about it here.

Edited by pktaske

For whatever reason I am reminded of JT a few years ago, before he had won a major, saying that he would rather qualify for the Ryder Cup that win a major that year. He got crushed in the media for that. Seems like these guys win. Say nothing and we are told that they are bland, boring and that there are no characters in golf any more. Say something and they are jumped on for that. Bryson might have the whole not speaking to the media thing down perfectly. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023