Azinger calls out Koepka on his Ryder Cup comments

ShowMe

Koepka just doesn't care anymore. He has some Reed in him - he needs to be the bad guy because that jacks him up and gives him something to play for. He likes to be the villain. I just wonder how that is going to work this week playing on a team. 

Take his most recent Golf Digest interview. Golf Digest could have made this question seem worse than it is by putting it at the front of the interview even if it was at the end of the actual conversation, but it's all we have to go off of. 

Your bag doesn’t look like the standard tour-player setup—no big logo and an eclectic mix of clubs from several companies, including one that doesn’t exist anymore.

I’m not a guy that switches. Dustin [Johnson] says he doesn’t switch, but he switches the most out of anybody I’ve ever seen. You might not think it’s a switch, but he’ll have, like, five drivers with him for the week. He’s always switching putters, or a 3-iron and 5-wood combo. I still have a Nike 3-iron. That’s five years old. I still play an SM4 Vokey wedge. What are they on now? SM8? My putter has been in for a year and a half, but I’ve had the same model since 2008.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/brooks-koepka-poolside-interview-ryder-cup-masters

A fairly benign question by Matthew Rudy gets turned around to be a potshot at DJ from Brooks. For what reason? Does this go back to the 2018 Ryder Cup fight that DJ and Brooks had? Do we know anything about that other than it happened? DJ switches his putter out, regularly, but he's been with TaylorMade forever. He played his old TaylorMade 3 and 5 woods forever. He had the same driver shaft forever. Brooks is the one that had made far more switches in my opinion. Even if I'm wrong there, I don't see the need to attack DJ when the question was about your eclectic setup. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 5W (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-UW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

3 hours ago, Yuck said:

Brevard Community College actually had some decent players go through there.  Not quite the powerhouse that Florida Southern was, but some decent teams.  Dr. Jim Suttie was the coach back then, and was using video tape back in the dark ages.  Azinger went there along with the #1 player from his high school, RIck Stallings.  (Unfortunately, high school was the high point of RIck’s career.)

Yah, they had some excellent Players go through there, as almost half of em went on to get college scholarships. Jim Suttie was a friend of Pete's and though I never met him, I answered the phone a few times when he called the Pro Shop to speak with Pete. He had a great program as he had 6-7 AA's counting Zinger, though Paul was a 2~/3~ cap when he walked on. Jim Suttie has always been one of the top 20-25 Teachers in the country however he just has never had the big PR machine behind him. I think that his most amazing feat as a community college coach was that his teams won 25+ college tourneys competing against the big 4-year programs from the ACC & the SEC. Pete left me part of his golf library, one book of which was a signed copy(for Pete) of Jim's Book, "Your Perfect Swing." Jim sent it to Pete a few weeks before he passed in 2006 and he never got to read it however he thought the world of Jim as a Person, Player and Teacher.

Great post! 

Thanks for responding

Stay Well👊
RP

F638ADA7-C365-498D-87BD-7605FC3D7F8D.jpeg

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 1

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

8 minutes ago, Forged4ever said:

Yah, they had some excellent Players go through there, as almost half of em went on to get college scholarships. Jim Suttie was a friend of Pete's and though I never met him, I answered the phone a few times when he called the Pro Shop to speak with Pete. He had a great program as he had 6-7 AA's counting Zinger, though Paul was a 2~/3~ cap when he walked on. Jim Suttie has always been one of the top 20-25 Teachers in the country however he just has never had the big PR machine behind him. I think that his most amazing feat as a community college coach was that his teams won 25+ college tourneys competing against the big 4-year programs from the ACC & the SEC. Pete left me part of his golf library, one of which was a signed copy(for Pete) of Jim's Book, "Your Perfect Swing." Jim sent it to Pete a few weeks before he passed in 2006 and he never got to read it however he thought the world of Jim as a Person, Player and Teacher.

Great post! 

Thanks for responding

Stay Well👊
RP

F638ADA7-C365-498D-87BD-7605FC3D7F8D.jpeg

I have that book!  Really wasn't for me once I tried to get through it, but I bought it because his name was familiar from someone I know who played for him way back in the day and spoke highly of him.

• Like 1

"We've got that holiday feeling!"

I think if you put a lot of the top 50 U.S. players on truth serum their comments from the heart would probably sound a lot more like Koepka's than not. 

These guys make oodles of money, and the only thing they really can't get enough of is time off. The guys who were grinding all the way through the Tour Championship are probably toast, mentally and physically.

We'll have to wait until the losing side's press conference to see, but my guess is that the schedule is going to be a punching bag for anyone looking for an excuse. 

This is one thing Koepka seems to do the right way. He takes ample breaks from the Tour, and if we can believe what he says he sometimes goes a week or two without touching a club. Smart, IMO. 

• Like 3

Callaway Big Bertha 21 9* w/ HZRDUS Yellow 6.0

Callaway Mavrik Max 3+

Callaway Rogue 4 wood

Srixon ZU85 4/23

Srixon Z565 w/ Matrix Ozik F15 shafts 5-PW

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX4 54* and 58*

Cleveland Huntington Beach #11S

18 hours ago, ShowMe said:

Sure, but the same impositions apply to the Euro team, as well.  It's not like only the US players have team meetings and other events that impede a player's ability to get into a rhythm.  Both teams are playing under the same constraints.  Everybody's routine on both teams is being impeded.  Hence, the playing field is level in that regard.

Whether it is or is not is not germane to how his comments were perceived.

• Like 1

Ping G410 5W (DI-7X)
Ping Vault Arna

6 minutes ago, Go Cougs said:

He never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

I'd really love to hear from people he want to HS with to see if he was accustomed to having his butt kissed and was one of those types that walked around thinking he was better than everyone else?  Because now that he's in the big leagues I don't think he can handle the fact that everyone isn't kissing his butt. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Holy Moses said:

Can't say I blame him.  This is exactly one of the reasons why guys don't want to talk to the media.  Golf is boring.  Golf media has to make it entertaining.  

BDC says he is training for long drive and he gets the bus rolled right over him.

Azinger = golf media

Regarding athlete or not or whether he deserves/wants/needs to be there or not, I was trying to find a player with more major wins on either side than Bruce but couldn't.  (Rory ties him with four.)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, smashdn said:

Can't say I blame him.  This is exactly one of the reasons why guys don't want to talk to the media.  Golf is boring.  Golf media has to make it entertaining.  

BDC says he is training for long drive and he gets the bus rolled right over him.

Azinger = golf media

Regarding athlete or not or whether he deserves/wants/needs to be there or not, I was trying to find a player with more major wins on either side than Bruce but couldn't.  (Rory ties him with four.)

I think we can all form an opinion on BKs comments. 

But it’s interesting that TW was one of the most covered, highest profile, athletes in history and 

I can’t think of one thing he said to the media that ever caused controversy.

He just didn’t talk and let his play and the roars of the masses of fans do the talking. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, smashdn said:

Azinger = golf media

But but but his TONE!

Callaway Big Bertha 21 9* w/ HZRDUS Yellow 6.0

Callaway Mavrik Max 3+

Callaway Rogue 4 wood

Srixon ZU85 4/23

Srixon Z565 w/ Matrix Ozik F15 shafts 5-PW

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX4 54* and 58*

Cleveland Huntington Beach #11S

1 hour ago, smashdn said:

Azinger = golf media

He’s training for a stupid long drive championship before arguably the second most important tournament of his life. His hands are all beat up supposedly. He went 0-3 in France, maybe try focusing on this week. 

Ping G410 5W (DI-7X)
Ping Vault Arna

4 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

But it’s interesting that TW was one of the most covered, highest profile, athletes in history and 

He just didn’t talk and let his play and the roars of the masses of fans do the talking. 

Tiger just wouldn’t give them an interview if they pissed him off.

He was certainly good at disingenuous.

9 hours ago, me05501 said:

I think if you put a lot of the top 50 U.S. players on truth serum their comments from the heart would probably sound a lot more like Koepka's than not. 

These guys make oodles of money, and the only thing they really can't get enough of is time off. The guys who were grinding all the way through the Tour Championship are probably toast, mentally and physically.

We'll have to wait until the losing side's press conference to see, but my guess is that the schedule is going to be a punching bag for anyone looking for an excuse. 

This is one thing Koepka seems to do the right way. He takes ample breaks from the Tour, and if we can believe what he says he sometimes goes a week or two without touching a club. Smart, IMO. 

Well, that and he gets injured so much.

• Haha 1

Callaway Epic Max LS MMT 70X

Titleist TSi2 13.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSi2 18* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist 816H2 23* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G425 5-UW Steelfiber i95S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i95S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Newport M2

9 hours ago, smashdn said:

Whether it is or is not is not germane to how his comments were perceived.

Nah.  It's the exact reason why his comments were perceived by many to whiny and entitled.  He was complaining about something ALL the golfers have to go thru, not just him, but he was making it sound like it only applied to him.  Total lack of self-awareness.

Scottie Newport M2

4 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

I know you love the Big Cat but I do remember one presser where he said some things to the media that caused controversy.  Man did he get railroaded on that as well.

image.jpeg.3600199a8b9de8532772e0940a2b5145.jpeg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oikos1 said:

I know you love the Big Cat but I do remember one presser where he said some things to the media that caused controversy.  Man did he get railroaded on that as well.

image.jpeg.3600199a8b9de8532772e0940a2b5145.jpeg

Ha!

I knew someone would roll that out.

Brutal. Man, remember that? Was like Thanksgiving 🦃 right?!

golfwrx that night be like 

nuclear explosion GIF

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

I'd really love to hear from people he want to HS with to see if he was accustomed to having his butt kissed and was one of those types that walked around thinking he was better than everyone else?  Because now that he's in the big leagues I don't think he can handle the fact that everyone isn't kissing his butt. 

My understanding is that it was actually the opposite. He was a late bloomer, not some heralded child prodigy or even a top performing amateur, and thus has a chip on his shoulder and something to prove. Sounded like a similar origin story as someone like Poulter. 

Edited by Valtiel
  • Like 1

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Diamana X'17 70TX || Taylormade SIM 9* Diamana X'17 70X
Taylormade SIM Ti V2 15* Diamana DF 80TX || Taylormade SIM Ti 15* Kuro Kage DCXM 80TX
Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro White 90TX || TItleist 915FD 18* Fujikura Motore VC 9.2 Tour Spec X 
Srixon ZX Utility 20* HZRDUS Red 105 6.5 || Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid  
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4i-7i 23*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

On 9/21/2021 at 7:13 PM, Forged4ever said:

First, Paul Aziinger went further with less than most Tour Players who got a card, much less one who spent 300+ weeks inside the World's Top-10 along with bagging a Major, Playin on 4 RC's(2-1-1) and Captaining one(1-0),  startin his career as a walk-on at Brevard Friggin Community College before getting a ride to Florida State, where Koepka also Played.

Second, there is absolutely no doubt that Brooks Koepka has the drive, talent yada yada yada as his four Majors in a four+ year period demonstrates, and he very easily could have had two more, one a green jacket. It also demonstrates that he drills down and focuses when he wants to focus, he Plays when he wants to Play and he wins when he wants to win. Anyone that has done what Koepka's done under the gun, on Golf's biggest brightest stage, the US Open, and he has practically owned the tournament that Sam said was THE only tournament that he ever Played in that he had to consciously remind himself to take slow deep breaths in, who has spent 47+ weeks atop the world rankings is in a league with very very few Players who have EVER Played the game, much less his current competitors. However, to only have four other wins over that span, with his talent, focus, discipline & ability, well, as I stated, he Plays when he wants to Play and he wins when he wants to win.

Regarding Paul Azinger, he is one of THE most respected former Players walkin this earth and I assure and will guarantee you that Hal's comment was not nor would it EVER be directed at Paul Azinger. Paul Azinger has "been there done that" as a Tour Player, as  Major Winner, as a Ryder Cup Player(2-1-1) and as a Ryder Cup Captain(1-0). Hal was referring to most of the commentators who either Played the Tour for a minute and then disappeared off of the face of the earth or all of the media hacks who've never Played for Pay on golf's biggest stage, the PGA Tour.

I, and I'm sure that most that know what Azinger is referring to, do not look at it as "taking shots" at Koepka as much as telling him what he needs to hear, whether he likes it or not. There is no more qualified individual in Professional golf than Paul Azinger to telll Koepka this.

Actually, Koepka is my favorite current Player cuz I followed him over at Oakmont, watched him hit balls by himself for almost two hours and then he went to the putting green for an hour and his focus and discipline was insane. He did not address ONE ball without going through his PSR, and this was almost three hours of practice. I only recall one other Player who had that type of focus and discipline like that and it was Vijay. 

However, as I stated before, with Jack, Tiger, Hogan, Sam & Tom Watson, just to name a few, that drive and PASSION was not selective. They wanted to win every single time that they Planted the Tee, and it's not that he does not want to win, I just have to ask where the focus and especially the Passion is that allows him to bear down, grind the field down and win or be in virtually every Major that he's Played in in the past 4+ years.

If he is going to Play, that includes the Ryder Cup🏆 

In my opinion, he has the talent, skills and potential to be one of the All-Timers, as in Top-10 All-Timer, however he's gotta bring it more than 4-5 times a year. 

That takes more than talent. That takes more then drive. That takes more than discipline. It takes a deep seeded Passion for the game and competition, anyplace, anytime and against anyone, regardless of the format. Oh, and it takes some luck, though Brooksie should be fine there cuz if ya notice, the mediocre and poor performers rarely if ever get lucky. Usually the guys at Koepka's level get lucky, as luck is nothing more than the intersection point of preparation & performance and Brooksie definitely prepares and performs when he wants to. None on Tour do it better!! 

Regarding Paul, I'll never forget when he won the 1994 Frank B. Fuhrer Jr. Family House Invitational, that I've spoken of previously, which was at the time the most lucrative two-day 36-hole non-official Tour event in the country(the one where Fuzzy basically disinvited himself by refusing to don a tie for the awards dinner, telling Mr. Fuhrer in the Pro shop, where he was going to buy Fuzzy a tie when he informed Mr. Fuhrer that he didn't bring one, "I'm not a tie kind of guy." Wrong statement if ya want to return,😂😂, as Fuzzy obviously did cuz he called Mr. Fuhrer incessantly at the end of that year when his invitation didn't come, only to have Mr. Fuhrer refuse to take his call or return his calls. He tried to get through to him through his Son, Frank III, a former Tour Boy and 3-Time AA at UNC, and then through our HP, as the event was held at our club. No dice, lolol. Ole Fuzzy never Played again, lol), with the pictures on the  "Winner's Wall" looking like a World Golf HoF tribute, as Sam presented the Winner's check and trophy🏆 to Paul and in his introduction, as this was in 1994, after his Ryder Cup appearances though well before his Captaining the 2008 team, and Sam said that while Paul might not have been the most talented Player to ever Play the Tour, as he wasn't close to the most talented in the field that day, which drew a lot of laughs cuz Sam dead panned it with a straight face when he said it, lolol(7 of the 1993 Top-10 Money listers were in the field, including N. Price, G. Norman, B. Crenshaw, T. Kite, B. Langer, R. Mediate, L. Janzen, & D. Love, to name a few) he would take 12 Paul Azinger's and Play any other 12 men on earth any day, any place any time. 

THAT sums up Paul Azinger!!

Yes, there are some guys who have not "been there done that," and they don't deserve to be listened to in ANY scenario, be it athletic, professional or social. Then you have guys who have "been there done that" however they turn into mentally broken down bitter middle aged or old men, and they don't deserve to be listened to either. However Paul Azinger, has not only been there done that, he stood atop the mountain🏔 as both a Player AND a Captain, and if there is any former Ryder Cup Player or Captain who has the respect and ear of any Player with the dream of standing atop that mountain, and hoisting that trophy🏆 this upcoming Sunday, only a fool and an *sshole would not listen to Paul Azinger.

Regarding Brooksie, it's more about Passion than drive because I don't believe that there are two other Tour Boys as driven as him. It just comes down to keepin that flame🔥 lit every time he plants the tree. 

As always, just my .03 worth😊

Thanks for responding👊

Stay Well Brotha🍻
RP

I'm watching this special on the Ryder Cup Zinger captained.

I've kind of mocked Zinger in the past on the whole "pod" thing so having a few of those "never been in the arena" moments while watching. This is fascinating and the amount of thought that really went into it and then the psychologist guy who I never knew was right there on the golf cart with him --- it really was pretty brilliant.

Willing to bet the "pods" now are more lip service to having small groups than the amount of planning and preparation, etc. that went into what Zinger did - he was all in on it and had Dr. Mind Guy giving him tips in the moment based on personality traits.  Some of the stuff Zinger came up with to say to his players is hilarious and was certainly effective.

Players still have to play, period, but this is a different perspective.  I'm guessing it's all in his book which I may now read.

• Like 1

"We've got that holiday feeling!"

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

I'm watching this special on the Ryder Cup Zinger captained.

I've kind of mocked Zinger in the past on the whole "pod" thing so having a few of those "never been in the arena" moments while watching. This is fascinating and the amount of thought that really went into it and then the psychologist guy who I never knew was right there on the golf cart with him --- it really was pretty brilliant.

Willing to bet the "pods" now are more lip service to having small groups than the amount of planning and preparation, etc. that went into what Zinger did - he was all in on it and had Dr. Mind Guy giving him tips in the moment based on personality traits.  Some of the stuff Zinger came up with to say to his players is hilarious and was certainly effective.

Players still have to play, period, but this is a different perspective.  I'm guessing it's all in his book which I may now read.

I just hope he's a better writer than he is an announcer.

Oh, wait.  That's another thread.  Never mind.

• Like 1

Scottie Newport M2

3 hours ago, Valtiel said:

My understanding is that it was actually the opposite. He was a late bloomer, not some heralded child prodigy or even a top performing amateur, and thus has a chip on his shoulder and something to prove. Sounded like a similar origin story as someone like Poulter. 

This exactly.  Dude didnt grow up playing Junior Ryder Cups or other international amateur events.  So he had no idea about foursomes and such and the 2016 was his first taste of it all. Probably why his comments got taken the wrong way when he mentioned "winning his point or his partner hits a bad shot".  He just doesnt have a history of growing up around all this stuff the way JT, Spieth, Rahm and more have. 

T Bone Steak, Cheese Eggs, and Welch's Grape

Taylormade SIM2 Max - Aldila Rogue Silver 110msi 60s

Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 3w - Aldila Rogue Silver 110msi 70s

Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 7w - Aldila RIP Phenom 70s

Taylormade SIM2 Max 3i - KBS PGI 90s

Bridgestone J15CB 4i-pw - KBS PGI 90s

Taylormade Hi Toe 52, 58 - KBS Hi Rev 115s

Wilson Staff Infitinte Buckingham

15 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

He’s training for a stupid long drive championship before arguably the second most important tournament of his life. His hands are all beat up supposedly. He went 0-3 in France, maybe try focusing on this week. 

I don't think many Tour players would make that argument, if they are being truthful.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ShowMe said:

Nah.  It's the exact reason why his comments were perceived by many to whiny and entitled.  He was complaining about something ALL the golfers have to go thru, not just him, but he was making it sound like it only applied to him.  Total lack of self-awareness.

I thought your contention was they were, not that they were perceived that way?

https://golf.com/news/brooks-koepka-unhappy-ryder-cup-blowback/?utm_campaign=forecast&utm_source=golf.com&utm_medium=email&utm_content={date(&user_email=b312748ff3d87f9fc4fb336f7746be17ed20d58e8cb52ac75ea801af83313832&utm_term=GOLFcom Top Stories Newsletter

Top reason why guys don't want to talk to the media.  If you are honest they skewer you.  If you aren't and roll out some "coach speak" they call you fake.

I mean the media, they are great.  And Tiger, he never had issues with the media either. > 

Edited by smashdn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, smashdn said:

I thought your contention was they were, not that they were perceived that way?

https://golf.com/news/brooks-koepka-unhappy-ryder-cup-blowback/?utm_campaign=forecast&utm_source=golf.com&utm_medium=email&utm_content={date(&user_email=b312748ff3d87f9fc4fb336f7746be17ed20d58e8cb52ac75ea801af83313832&utm_term=GOLFcom Top Stories Newsletter

Top reason why guys don't want to talk to the media.  If you are honest they skewer you.  If you aren't and roll out some "coach speak" they call you fake.

I mean the media, they are great.  And Tiger, he never had issues with the media either. > 

Wait.  Somebody forced Brooksie to give that interview?  I didn't realize that.  That changes everything.

Oh, and when you start arguing semantics, then you've lost the argument.

Scottie Newport M2