Golf Digest 100 Greatest Public Courses

49 minutes ago, david.c.w said:

While don't want to say that any of the courses here don't belong on a list, but every course wanting to be in a "top 100" or "best in state" will wine and dine the course raters.  I don't think they are paid directly, but they for sure get the complimentary red carpet treatment with golf, dining and accommodations.  I once asked our GM why we were not rated  above some lesser courses on some "best in state" lists (IMHO of course).  His answer was that getting on that list can be expensive and time consuming, and we did not need the recognition.  We have a multi-year waitlist and a full tee sheet, so right now being recognized in even local golf publications is not important.  I have never played We Ko Pa but I know several who have and from what I heard, everyone thinks it should be on this list.

Honestly this is true in any industry.  Does anyone think that Oprah's favorite things are actually her favorite things?  No, each product pays to be promoted by her.  

"but they for sure get the complimentary red carpet treatment with golf, dining and accommodations."

Often a panelist (for golf digest) will receive a complimentary greens fee.  Aside from that a yardage book is the only other freebie that can be accepted.  Anything else (even a free drink) would be grounds for dismissal.  A man at my club was dismissed from the panel for playing a money game for the last 3 holes of his round.  My opinion is that there is far more bias in the private rankings as access to a private course and the commensurate feelings lend heavily to bias.  The more exclusive the more the bias.  With that said it is VERY clear that there are bias tendencies by raters.  Those may very well be baked in by the training given by the directors of the magazines.  Im confident they are wined and dined.  They chalk it up to the job.  This same fellow has commented a few times that Ron Whitten who heads up the golf Digest rankings routinely "calibrates" the panelists.  He felt that it was more of a chance to tell the panelists what was and wasnt great, indirectly keeping certain courses at the top.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, david.c.w said:

While don't want to say that any of the courses here don't belong on a list, but every course wanting to be in a "top 100" or "best in state" will wine and dine the course raters.  I don't think they are paid directly, but they for sure get the complimentary red carpet treatment with golf, dining and accommodations.  I once asked our GM why we were not rated  above some lesser courses on some "best in state" lists (IMHO of course).  His answer was that getting on that list can be expensive and time consuming, and we did not need the recognition.  We have a multi-year waitlist and a full tee sheet, so right now being recognized in even local golf publications is not important.  I have never played We Ko Pa but I know several who have and from what I heard, everyone thinks it should be on this list.

Honestly this is true in any industry.  Does anyone think that Oprah's favorite things are actually her favorite things?  No, each product pays to be promoted by her.  

Heck I have heard that one of the "foundations" that promotes a certain segment of health makes $100 million from "certifying" products as consistent with promoting the health of the particular issue.(Don't want to name cause they wouldn't be the only ones, just using an example that that stuff is bought and paid for.)

I know a former GM whose course went from off to on to off again on one of those lists,  Said it was completely related to the number of comps he handed out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sabram said:

I haven't seen any that have said that. I'd be curious to see some. Please share a few links.

I've played the Loop in both directions and it's very difficult to say one is even marginally better than the other. They are both on the exact same land, they both use the same greens. I have some favorites going each way.

Here are links to photo tours of each Loop (Click on photo to open album)

PS - I do agree that We Ko Pa Saguaro should be on the list. I've played 48 of the 100 courses on the list and it would be in the top half of those I've played. No list will match everyone's tastes. Golf Mag's more closely matches mine

Loop Black

The Loop Black Course

Loop Red

The Loop Red Course

Guys in the midwest forum who have played it.  

Just struck me as odd, is all.  Haven't played it, just going by things I have read.  

#2 Pacific Dunes (2021), #3 Whistling Straits (19), #7 Bandon Dunes (21), #9 Erin Hills (19), #12 Old MacDonald (21), #13 Bandon Trails (21), #14 Arcadia Buffs (20), #15 Sheep Ranch (21), #16 Blackwolf Run - River (19), #32 Pinehurst #4 (18), #33 Forest Dunes (20), #47 Whistling Straits - Irish (19),
#49 Tobacco Rd (18), #52 Arcadia Bluffs - South (20), #56 Cog Hill (18), #59 The loop - Black (20), #64 The Dunes Golf and Beach Club (15), #73 Pine Needles (18), #74 Blackwolf Run - Meadow Valley (19), #78 The loop - Red (20), #84 The Virtues (multiple), #99 The McLemore Club (21)

Past / other top 100 lists: Sweetens Cove - Tn (21), Pumpkin Ridge - Ghost Course OR (21), Tullymore Golf Resort - Mich (20), Grand Traverse - The Bear Mich (20), Kapalua - Bay Course - HA (19), Dormie Club - NC (18)

Course played that host professional events not noted on the list above:
Aviara Golf Club - CA (18) LPGA event
Warren Golf Course @ Notre Dame (18) Champions Tour event
Harbor Shores - Mich (multiple) Champions Tour event
Valhalla Golf Club - Lousiville (multiple) PGA events including majors
Victoria National (15) Kornferry Ferry Tour event - traditionally the hardest course on the KF Tour.

Honorable mention / personal best of the rest:
TPC Rivers Bend - Oh (17)
Dorchester CC - Tn (multiple)
Stonehenge - Tn (multiple)
Grande Dunes - Myrtle Beach, SC (multiple)
TPC Myrtle Beach - SC (20)
Royal Kaanapali - HA (19)

Scotland (2014):
St Andrews - Old Course
Kingsbarnes Golf Links
Carnoustie Golf Club
Trump International Golf Links
Cruden Bay - Championship course
Royal Troon
Western Gailes
Turnberry - The Ailsa

Edited by Cwing

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

3 hours ago, golfortennis said:

Guys in the midwest forum who have played it.  

Just struck me as odd, is all.  Haven't played it, just going by things I have read.  

I just searched the Midwest Forum back to 2018 and didn't see any review or comments that said one direction of the Loop was better than the other. There are several people who posted that they are underwhelmed by the course in both directions and a few that only played it one way, but none in that forum who said one was significantly better than the other. I've read many articles and reviews in just about every golf publication and many reputable web sites as well as knowing dozens of people who have played there, and I've never heard or read that view expressed before.

#2 Pacific Dunes (2021), #3 Whistling Straits (19), #7 Bandon Dunes (21), #9 Erin Hills (19), #12 Old MacDonald (21), #13 Bandon Trails (21), #14 Arcadia Buffs (20), #15 Sheep Ranch (21), #16 Blackwolf Run - River (19), #32 Pinehurst #4 (18), #33 Forest Dunes (20), #47 Whistling Straits - Irish (19), 

#49 Tobacco Rd (18), #52 Arcadia Bluffs - South (20), #56 Cog Hill (18), #59 The loop - Black (20), #64 The Dunes Golf and Beach Club (15), #73 Pine Needles (18),  #74 Blackwolf Run - Meadow Valley (19), #78 The loop - Red (20), #84 The Virtues (multiple), #99 The McLemore Club

Past / other top 100 lists: Sweetens Cove - Tn (21), Pumpkin Ridge - Ghost Course OR (21), Tullymore Golf Resort - Mich (20), Grand Traverse - The Bear Mich (20), Kapalua - Bay Course - HA (19), Dormie Club - NC (18)

Course played that host professional events not noted on the list above:

Aviara Golf Club - CA (18) LPGA event 

Warren Golf Course @ Notre Dame (18)  Champions Tour event 

Harbor Shores - Mich (multiple) Champions Tour event

Valhalla Golf Club - Lousiville (multiple) PGA events including majors

Victoria National (15) Kornferry Ferry Tour event - traditionally the hardest course on the KF Tour.     

Honorable mention / personal best of the rest: 

TPC Rivers Bend - Oh (17)

Dorchester CC - Tn (multiple) 

Stonehenge - Tn (multiple)

Grande Dunes - Myrtle Beach, SC (multiple) 

TPC Myrtle Beach - SC (20)

Scotland (2014): 

St Andrews - Old Course

Kingsbarnes Golf Links

Carnoustie Golf Club

Trump International Golf Links 

Cruden Bay - Championship course

Royal Troon 

Western Gailes

Turnberry - The Ailsa 

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

The bottom of their list changes so frequently that it makes me question their method. Tullymore was 61 on the last list, but it’s not on this one at all. I believe Spanish Bay fell from the 50s to off the list. 

I’m not saying either course should be top 100, but it doesn’t make sense that they would think so highly of a course in 2019 and not mention it in 2021. 

• Like 1

On 9/21/2021 at 5:47 AM, pb_n_joe said:

Just saw your prior comment ranking Spyglass 11th out of 12 - clearly we have different taste in courses ha! Not saying I would place Bandon at the bottom of my list (and I'd jump at any opportunity to play Bandon or Trails again), but Spyglass is just slightly above in my rankings. Totally agree SH is a slog, but to me it's a slog in a fun, challenging way that requires your full undivided attention for the entire round. Bandon designs are certainly interesting in an entirely different / unique way - perhaps summed up by stating that Bandon is where I'd go to enjoy a round for its landscape / uniqueness, while SH is where I'd go to test my game and chase low scores. I know both have hosted US Ams and other big events, so I'm just pre-empting the folks who will try to tell me Bandon is also challenging lol

You do seem to be saying that Bandon is just pretty. But Spyglass, whoa that's for real golfers. Good for you. I respectfully disagree. Bandon is so successful because it offers golfers of all levels a spectacular, challenging and interesting set of courses. Beyond the 5th, Spyglass has no design thematic that I could discern except to penalize the player. And to sort out the pros. Moreover the price is outrageous. Meanwhile Bandon glides on offering a feast of golfing delights. IMHO.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chanceman said:

You do seem to be saying that Bandon is just pretty. But Spyglass, whoa that's for real golfers. Good for you. I respectfully disagree. Bandon is so successful because it offers golfers of all levels a spectacular, challenging and interesting set of courses. Beyond the 5th, Spyglass has no design thematic that I could discern except to penalize the player. And to sort out the pros. Moreover the price is outrageous. Meanwhile Bandon glides on offering a feast of golfing delights. IMHO.

I thought I made it clear that I recognize both Bandon and Spyglass are unique and challenging in their own ways, given their resumes for hosting national championships at all levels. In no way was I trying to insinuate that higher handicappers can't enjoy / appreciate Spyglass (I've played SH with friends ranging from +2 to 20 handicaps who all love it) - apologies if I came across that way to you. I was trying to explain that I personally enjoy Spyglass slightly more for the heightened challenge it presents and the difficulty in playing your way to a good score relative to any one specific course at Bandon. I'm not here to convince anyone that my honest opinion is right and others are wrong - that's why it's an opinion! We can respectfully disagree on which course ranks higher on our personal lists.

I complete agree with you that as a whole, all of the Bandon courses at the resort create a "feast of golfing delights" that few other places on earth can rival - perfect way to describe it. They're certainly all more playable than SH as well, which I'm sure factors into the GD rankings (I'd even say Bethpage Black is slightly more "playable" than SH). If I had the choice to spend a week at Bandon or Spyglass, of course I'd choose Bandon for the variety and better value. FWIW - the only times I've played Spyglass were with a hefty covid discount and during the NCGA Amateur (heavily discounted rates / entry fees). Rack rate of $415 is absurd indeed.

On 9/19/2021 at 9:51 AM, mci711 said:

A lot of people that make that complaint have never played Pebble 😂. I actually really enjoy the inland holes. 

i feel the same way. I liked them too. 

as to the list, pretty sad, almost 60 years old and have only played nine of them.  The course I’m missing from the list  is Southern Dunes in Phoenix (or just south of there). Out of the nine on the list I’ve played, I like Southern Dunes better than most of them. Sure seems to me that it belongs on the list. 

Im on board with the rating bias. Certain places seem to get ranked automatically.  If you read the northwest forum there are countless Bandon threads. It seems Sheep Ranch is regarded with mixed feelings at this point by a lot of the posters. How does it debut that high?

4 hours ago, Mde103 said:

The bottom of their list changes so frequently that it makes me question their method. Tullymore was 61 on the last list, but it’s not on this one at all. I believe Spanish Bay fell from the 50s to off the list. 

It doesn't make me question their method. I think that the courses that are between 50 and 200 are so close in their aggregate scores that a slight difference from just a few raters (or just a few more new raters seeing a course) every couple years can have a significant effect on where a course. There is really not much difference between a course that is in the 50's  and one that is in the 150's. That's why the actual rank doesn't mean a whole lot.

3 hours ago, pb_n_joe said:

I thought I made it clear that I recognize both Bandon and Spyglass are unique and challenging in their own ways, given their resumes for hosting national championships at all levels. In no way was I trying to insinuate that higher handicappers can't enjoy / appreciate Spyglass (I've played SH with friends ranging from +2 to 20 handicaps who all love it) - apologies if I came across that way to you. I was trying to explain that I personally enjoy Spyglass slightly more for the heightened challenge it presents and the difficulty in playing your way to a good score relative to any one specific course at Bandon. I'm not here to convince anyone that my honest opinion is right and others are wrong - that's why it's an opinion! We can respectfully disagree on which course ranks higher on our personal lists.

I complete agree with you that as a whole, all of the Bandon courses at the resort create a "feast of golfing delights" that few other places on earth can rival - perfect way to describe it. They're certainly all more playable than SH as well, which I'm sure factors into the GD rankings (I'd even say Bethpage Black is slightly more "playable" than SH). If I had the choice to spend a week at Bandon or Spyglass, of course I'd choose Bandon for the variety and better value. FWIW - the only times I've played Spyglass were with a hefty covid discount and during the NCGA Amateur (heavily discounted rates / entry fees). Rack rate of $415 is absurd indeed.

No worries. All golf courses are worth playing at least once!!.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sabram said:

It doesn't make me question their method. I think that the courses that are between 50 and 200 are so close in their aggregate scores that a slight difference from just a few raters (or just a few more new raters seeing a course) every couple years can have a significant effect on where a course. There is really not much difference between a course that is in the 50's  and one that is in the 150's. That's why the actual rank doesn't mean a whole lot.

That’s fair. A tier list would be more useful and reduce some of the year to year variance. Although I think some of the courses in the bottom half of this list (greywalls, the Loop, Mossy Oak) are far better than courses that dropped off of previous lists (Boyne Heather and Dancing Rabbit). 

The main takeaway is not to play a course just because it made a magazine’s list. 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2021 at 6:42 PM, Mde103 said:

I’m not saying either course should be top 100, but it doesn’t make sense that they would think so highly of a course in 2019 and not mention it in 2021. 

I think the bigger thing is including places that allow a stay and play, but aren't otherwise public.  I think a number of them are now on this list that wouldn't have been.

I'm not sure what I think about that, but they are upfront that it is part of their methodology.  

Here's the list of courses without the text:

1. PEBBLE BEACH (Calif.) G. LINKS
2. PACIFIC DUNES
3. WHISTLING STRAITS (STRAITS)
4. THE OCEAN COURSE
5. SHADOW CREEK
6. PINEHURST (N.C.) RESORT (No. 2)
7. BANDON (Ore.) DUNES
8. BETHPAGE STATE PARK (BLACK)
9. ERIN HILLS (Wis.) G. CSE.
10. SPYGLASS HILL G. CSE.
11. TPC SAWGRASS (PLAYERS STADIUM)
12. OLD MACDONALD
13. BANDON (Ore.) TRAILS
14. ARCADIA BLUFFS (Mich.) G.C.
15. (NEW) SHEEP RANCH
16. BLACKWOLF RUN (RIVER)
17. PASATIEMPO G.C.
18. SAND VALLEY
19. THE PETE DYE CSE. AT FRENCH LICK (Ind.) RESORT
20. STREAMSONG (RED)
21. MANELE GOLF COURSE
22. CHAMBERS BAY
23. KAPALUA (PLANTATION)
24. KARSTEN CREEK G.C.
25. HARBOUR TOWN G. LINKS
26. STREAMSONG (BLUE)
27. MAUNA KEA G. CSE
28. THE HIGHLAND COURSE AT PRIMLAND
29. MAMMOTH DUNES
30. (NEW) OZARKS NATIONAL
31. THE OMNI HOMESTEAD RESORT (CASCADES)
32. (NEW) PINEHURST (N.C.) RESORT (NO. 4)
33. FOREST DUNES G.C.
34. STREAMSONG (BLACK)
35. THE QUARRY AT GIANTS RIDGE
36. SEA ISLAND G.C. (SEASIDE)
37. THE GREENBRIER (THE OLD WHITE)
38. GAMBLE SANDS G.C.
39. (NEW) BLACK DIAMOND RANCH (QUARRY) *
40. PRONGHORN CLUB (NICKLAUS)
41. FALLEN OAK
42. TORREY PINES G. CSE. (SOUTH)
43. GOLDEN HORSESHOE G.C. (GOLD)
44. THE BROADMOOR G.C. (EAST)
45. THE PRAIRIE CLUB (DUNES)
46. (NEW) YALE G. CSE.
47. WHISTLING STRAITS (IRISH)
48. MAY RIVER G.C. AT PALMETTO BLUFF
49. TOBACCO ROAD G.C.
50. SENTRYWORLD G. CSE.
51. CORDEVALLE G.C.
52. (NEW) ARCADIA (MICH.) BLUFFS (SOUTH)
53. THE LINKS AT SPANISH BAY
54. COURSE OMITTED AFTER PUBLICATION
55. PGA WEST (STADIUM)
56. COG HILL G. & C.C. (NO. 4)
57. WILDERNESS CLUB
58. PAAKO RIDGE G.C.
59. THE LOOP AT FOREST DUNES G.C. (BLACK)
60. MOSSY OAK
61. CROSSWATER
62. THE CLASSIC AT MADDEN'S RESORT
63. BAY HARBOR (MICH.) G.C. (LINKS/QUARRY)
64. THE DUNES G. & BEACH CLUB
65. WOLF CREEK G.C.
66. RED SKY G.C. (NORMAN)
67. MARQUETTE (Mich.) G.C. (GREYWALLS)
68. THE G. COURSES OF LAWSONIA (LINKS)
69. THE WILDERNESS AT FORTUNE BAY
70. CASCATA
71. WILD HORSE
72. NEMACOLIN WOODLANDS RESORT (MYSTIC ROCK)
73. PINE NEEDLES LODGE & G.C.
74. BLACKWOLF RUN (MEADOW VALLEYS)
75. OLD WAVERLY G.C.
76. PINEHURST (N.C.) RESORT (NO. 8 )
77. GREAT WATERS AT REYNOLDS LAKE OCONEE
78. THE LOOP AT FOREST DUNES G.C. (RED)
79. RED SKY RANCH & GC (FAZIO)
80. (NEW) FIRESTONE C.C. (SOUTH)*
81. PRINCEVILLE MAKAI G.C.
82. TETHEROW G.C.
83. (NEW) THE PFAU COURSE AT INDIANA UNIVERSITY
84. THE VIRTUES G.C.
85. CALEDONIA G. & FISH CLUB
86. (NEW) EDGEWOOD TAHOE G. CSE.
87. TRUMP NATIONAL DORAL MIAMI (BLUE MONSTER)
88. QUINTERO G.C.
89. (NEW) TPC COLORADO
90. WORLD WOODS G.C. (PINE BARRENS)
91. (NEW) THE BULL AT PINEHURST FARMS
92. POPPY HILLS G. CSE.
93. MID PINES INN & G.C.
94. BULLE ROCK
95. (NEW) GRIZZLY RANCH
96. (NEW) KINGSMILL RESORT (RIVER)
97. THE PRAIRIE CLUB (PINES)
98. (NEW) RAMS HILL G.C.
99. (NEW) THE MCLEMORE CLUB*
100. (NEW) SPRING CREEK G.C.

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Did they publish a “best of the rest” list yet?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*

Having played #53 Links at Spanish Bay on the Golf Digest list (not Top 100 on GOLF list) and #52 We Ko Pa Saguaro on the GOLF list (not Top 100 on the GD list), I suspect the GOLF list might be better.

Links at Spanish Bay was picturesque, but We Ko Pa was equally picturesque and a better test of golf.  I'd go back to We Ko Pa.  Can't say the same about Spanish Bay.

• Like 1

Gift ideas?  Products I have tested.

1 hour ago, Chanceman said:

Quintero is on this list and is nowhere near as good a golf course as We Ko Pa Saguaro. In fact there are quite a few Scottsdale public courses better than Quintero.

We-ko-pa, I'd honestly say both courses there. Southern Dunes 100%.  potentially Wickenburg.. TPC is definitely not as good, but with the stands up I'd rather play there - I know this list isn't about that though. 

• Like 1

I've played 44 on the list and my subjective rankings are quite different from the magazine.  No surprises there.

Course my rank
1. PEBBLE BEACH (Calif.) G. LINKS 1
3. WHISTLING STRAITS (STRAITS) 2
10. SPYGLASS HILL G. CSE. 3
4. THE OCEAN COURSE 4
13. BANDON (Ore.) TRAILS 5
14. ARCADIA BLUFFS (Mich.) G.C. 6
9. ERIN HILLS (Wis.) G. CSE. 7
21. MANELE GOLF COURSE 8
2. PACIFIC DUNES 9
77. GREAT WATERS AT REYNOLDS LAKE OCONEE 10
66. RED SKY G.C. (NORMAN) 11
27. MAUNA KEA G. CSE 12
7. BANDON (Ore.) DUNES 13
40. PRONGHORN CLUB (NICKLAUS) 14
79. RED SKY RANCH & GC (FAZIO) 15
16. BLACKWOLF RUN (RIVER) 16
11. TPC SAWGRASS (PLAYERS STADIUM) 17
87. TRUMP NATIONAL DORAL MIAMI (BLUE MONSTER) 18
91. (NEW) THE BULL AT PINEHURST FARMS 19
61. CROSSWATER 20
81. PRINCEVILLE MAKAI G.C. 21
31. THE OMNI HOMESTEAD RESORT (CASCADES) 22
65. WOLF CREEK G.C. 23
44. THE BROADMOOR G.C. (EAST) 24
42. TORREY PINES G. CSE. (SOUTH) 25
47. WHISTLING STRAITS (IRISH) 26
6. PINEHURST (N.C.) RESORT (No. 2) 27
55. PGA WEST (STADIUM) 28
70. CASCATA 29
15. (NEW) SHEEP RANCH 30
86. (NEW) EDGEWOOD TAHOE G. CSE. 31
32. (NEW) PINEHURST (N.C.) RESORT (NO. 4) 32
74. BLACKWOLF RUN (MEADOW VALLEYS) 33
12. OLD MACDONALD 34
17. PASATIEMPO G.C. 35
92. POPPY HILLS G. CSE. 36
58. PAAKO RIDGE G.C. 37
90. WORLD WOODS G.C. (PINE BARRENS) 38
53. THE LINKS AT SPANISH BAY 39
56. COG HILL G. & C.C. (NO. 4) 40
33. FOREST DUNES G.C. 41
18. SAND VALLEY 42
29. MAMMOTH DUNES 43
82. TETHEROW G.C. 44
Edited by Golferpaul
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Golferpaul said:

I've played 44 on the list and my subjective rankings are quite different from the magazine.  No surprises there.

Course my rank
1. PEBBLE BEACH (Calif.) G. LINKS 1
3. WHISTLING STRAITS (STRAITS) 2
10. SPYGLASS HILL G. CSE. 3
4. THE OCEAN COURSE 4
13. BANDON (Ore.) TRAILS 5
14. ARCADIA BLUFFS (Mich.) G.C. 6
9. ERIN HILLS (Wis.) G. CSE. 7
21. MANELE GOLF COURSE 8
2. PACIFIC DUNES 9
77. GREAT WATERS AT REYNOLDS LAKE OCONEE 10
66. RED SKY G.C. (NORMAN) 11
27. MAUNA KEA G. CSE 12
7. BANDON (Ore.) DUNES 13
40. PRONGHORN CLUB (NICKLAUS) 14
79. RED SKY RANCH & GC (FAZIO) 15
16. BLACKWOLF RUN (RIVER) 16
11. TPC SAWGRASS (PLAYERS STADIUM) 17
87. TRUMP NATIONAL DORAL MIAMI (BLUE MONSTER) 18
91. (NEW) THE BULL AT PINEHURST FARMS 19
61. CROSSWATER 20
81. PRINCEVILLE MAKAI G.C. 21
31. THE OMNI HOMESTEAD RESORT (CASCADES) 22
65. WOLF CREEK G.C. 23
44. THE BROADMOOR G.C. (EAST) 24
42. TORREY PINES G. CSE. (SOUTH) 25
47. WHISTLING STRAITS (IRISH) 26
6. PINEHURST (N.C.) RESORT (No. 2) 27
55. PGA WEST (STADIUM) 28
70. CASCATA 29
15. (NEW) SHEEP RANCH 30
86. (NEW) EDGEWOOD TAHOE G. CSE. 31
32. (NEW) PINEHURST (N.C.) RESORT (NO. 4) 32
74. BLACKWOLF RUN (MEADOW VALLEYS) 33
12. OLD MACDONALD 34
17. PASATIEMPO G.C. 35
92. POPPY HILLS G. CSE. 36
58. PAAKO RIDGE G.C. 37
90. WORLD WOODS G.C. (PINE BARRENS) 38
53. THE LINKS AT SPANISH BAY 39
56. COG HILL G. & C.C. (NO. 4) 40
33. FOREST DUNES G.C. 41
18. SAND VALLEY 42
29. MAMMOTH DUNES 43
82. TETHEROW G.C. 44

You and I must have very different value systems. Pasatiempo in my mind is so superior to Spyglass Hill that I can hardly believe you have them #35 and #3.

3 hours ago, Chanceman said:

You and I must have very different value systems. Pasatiempo in my mind is so superior to Spyglass Hill that I can hardly believe you have them #35 and #3.

I was trying to connect the rankings or find a methodology behind it and I couldn't. Everyone likes different things though, it is just very random to me. I say this without meaning it as insult at all but I think being massive, green, pga stop, beautiful land is being held above actual design.

I've played only 6 of these, but I think the ranking is pretty fair.  The one thing that always mystifies me is why are there no AZ courses on the list?  The people who do these rankings tend to really not like dessert golf, although it's obvious they looooove the new trend with the dunesy links style of courses.  We-Ko-Pa?  the list goes on....

I've played a bit in AZ, and found most of the courses to be very scenic and enjoyable to play.  Yes I know they are manufactured, but so is Whistling Straits.  

• Like 1

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

2 minutes ago, dlygrisse said:

I've played a bit in AZ, and found most of the courses to be very scenic and enjoyable to play. 

If I was setting my own criteria for ranking golf courses scenery would be low on the list. I like scenic views as much as anyone, but that's not really what makes a course great IMHO.

17 hours ago, Golferpaul said:

I'm not a big fan of the GD rankings, but I think they got it right ( as compared with your rankings) on six of the courses you played. Of the ones on your list that I've played, I'd have Pinehurst #2, Old Mac and Pasatiempo closer to the top of the list and Great Waters, Doral Blue and Cascata more toward the bottom.  To each their own.😀

I find the discussion around Spyglass fascinating.  Played it for the first time this summer and I loved it.  Way better than Spanish Bay.  While holes 2-5 get the "OMG we are on the coast" discussion, I think the rest of the course stands on its own.  Is every hole perfect?  No, but it is still a great course.  It belongs on the list inside the top 20.  

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, david.c.w said:

I find the discussion around Spyglass fascinating.  Played it for the first time this summer and I loved it.  Way better than Spanish Bay.  While holes 2-5 get the "OMG we are on the coast" discussion, I think the rest of the course stands on its own.  Is every hole perfect?  No, but it is still a great course.  It belongs on the list inside the top 20.  

I don't believe Spyglass deserves a spot in the top 20 because it has two of the most boring closing holes on the list. I play $50 munis in Chicagoland that have better closing holes.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0