2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Golf Digest 100 Greatest Public Courses

27 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

I don't believe Spyglass deserves a spot in the top 20 because it has two of the most boring closing holes on the list. I play $50 munis in Chicagoland that have better closing holes.

Would you put those Chicago courses in the top 20?

22 minutes ago, david.c.w said:

Would you put those Chicago courses in the top 20?

Of course not. However, if one is going to charge $400+, and hope to make it into the Top 20, a couple of nice closing holes is a must. Whistling Straits 17 and 18 come to mind. Pebble Beach's 17th and 18th are iconic. Kiawah's Ocean course finished strong. Sawgrass 17 and 18?

Spyglass finishes like do after a big dinner and a couple of drinks. Asleep on the sofa by 9 pm.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

7 hours ago, sabram said:

If I was setting my own criteria for ranking golf courses scenery would be low on the list. I like scenic views as much as anyone, but that's not really what makes a course great IMHO.

I like beautiful scenery and that plays into my personal ranking.  Ranking is all about what a person enjoys playing and scenery is a big part of that.  Pebble Beach, Mauna Kea, Manele, Red Sky, and Wolf Creek have it.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sabram said:

If I was setting my own criteria for ranking golf courses scenery would be low on the list. I like scenic views as much as anyone, but that's not really what makes a course great IMHO.

I don’t disagree, it’s part of the overall experience.  For example if Pebble was next to a county lake in Iowa that happened to have some cliffs along the same holes, and some modest cabins off the 12th hole would it be rated as high?  No. 

in my opinion We-Ko-Pa Saguaro is one of the best courses I have played.  Is it top 10.  No. But it’s as good or better than some on this list.  The people doing these ranking just simply don’t like AZ courses. There are some great courses in the Tuscon area as well. 

• Like 2

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

On 9/28/2021 at 5:02 PM, dlygrisse said:

I don’t disagree, it’s part of the overall experience.  For example if Pebble was next to a county lake in Iowa that happened to have some cliffs along the same holes, and some modest cabins off the 12th hole would it be rated as high?  No. 

in my opinion We-Ko-Pa Saguaro is one of the best courses I have played.  Is it top 10.  No. But it’s as good or better than some on this list.  The people doing these ranking just simply don’t like AZ courses. There are some great courses in the Tuscon area as well. 

Yes! Love the Saguaro course. 
And you are right about PB as well. Being in one of the most beautiful places in the world, situated along the Pacific is a huge part of makes it so special. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CougarRed said:

Relatively affordable Top 100 golf trips.

Fly to RDU, drive 75 miles down to Southern Pines, NC.  Stay at the Mid Pines Inn. 

Play Mid Pines ($215) and Pine Needles ($245). 

Drive 27 miles to Sanford, NC and play Tobacco Road ($215).

Fly to Jackson MS or Birmingham, AL and drive 125-145 miles to Starkville, MS and stay there.

Drive 20 miles and play Old Waverly ($170) and Moss Oak ($180) in West Point, MS 

Fly to Indiannapolis and drive 55 miles to Bloomington and stay there.

Play Pfau at IU ($95)

Drive 50 miles to French Lick and play the Dye ($125) and Ross ($125) courses there.

Fly to Milwaukee and drive to Fond Du Lac (67 miles) or Oshkosh (88 miles) and stay on Lake Winnebago.

Drive to 27 miles to Green Lake and play Lawsonia Links ($95)

Drive 78 miles to Nekoosa and play Sand Valley ($225) and Mammoth Dunes ($225).

These last two require a lot of car time...

Fly to Detroit or Grand Rapids and drive a ways to Arcadia.

Play Arcadia Bluffs and the South course, both $220.

Drive 94 miles to Roscommon and play Forest Dunes ($185).

Fly to Lincoln, NE and drive 190 miles to Gothernburg NE and stay there.

Play Wild Horse ($62).

Drive 157 miles to Valentine, NE and play Dunes course at the Prairie Club ($200).

This is a cool post, I've looked into most of these and have done similar trips other than Wild Horse. French lick was $300+ to play the dye course, what is this $125 rate you mention?!

• Like 1

"Fly to Lincoln, NE and drive 190 miles to Gothernburg NE and stay there.

Play Wild Horse ($62).

Drive 157 miles to Valentine, NE and play Dunes course at the Prairie Club ($200).

That's a lot of driving for two golf courses.  So... find a way on to Sand Hills GC, which is in between the two.  Then you have a perfect trip.  🙂

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mullenboy said:

Play Wild Horse ($62).

That's a lot of driving for two golf courses.  So... find a way on to Sand Hills GC, which is in between the two.  Then you have a perfect trip.  🙂

Sand Hills is tough to get on. Much easier to play Dismal River's two courses.

After playing Prairie Dunes and Dismal River's four courses, I continued on to Denver, playing Bayside along the way.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

22 hours ago, mci711 said:

This is a cool post, I've looked into most of these and have done similar trips other than Wild Horse. French lick was $300+ to play the dye course, what is this $125 rate you mention?!

My bad.  Ross is $125.  Dye is $350!

Gift ideas?  Products I have tested.

22 minutes ago, CougarRed said:

My bad.  Ross is $125.  Dye is $350!

I played the Ross course, and two rounds on the Dye course as part of an unlimited golf package that included a night's stay at the West Baden Springs Hotel. I don't recall the total price, but I believe it was less than $500 with the hotel, and I got two rounds in on the Dye.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2021 at 1:43 PM, CougarRed said:

Relatively affordable Top 100 golf trips.

Fly to RDU, drive 75 miles down to Southern Pines, NC.  Stay at the Mid Pines Inn. 

Play Mid Pines ($215) and Pine Needles ($245). 

Drive 27 miles to Sanford, NC and play Tobacco Road ($215).

Fly to Jackson MS or Birmingham, AL and drive 125-145 miles to Starkville, MS and stay there.

Drive 20 miles and play Old Waverly ($170) and Moss Oak ($180) in West Point, MS 

Fly to Indiannapolis and drive 55 miles to Bloomington and stay there.

Play Pfau at IU ($95)

Drive 50 miles to French Lick and play the Dye ($350) and Ross ($125) courses there.

Fly to Milwaukee and drive to Fond Du Lac (67 miles) or Oshkosh (88 miles) and stay on Lake Winnebago.

Drive to 27 miles to Green Lake and play Lawsonia Links ($95)

Drive 78 miles to Nekoosa and play Sand Valley ($225) and Mammoth Dunes ($225).

These last two require a lot of car time...

Fly to Detroit or Grand Rapids and drive a ways to Arcadia.

Play Arcadia Bluffs and the South course, both $220.

Drive 94 miles to Roscommon and play Forest Dunes ($185).

Fly to Lincoln, NE and drive 190 miles to Gothernburg NE and stay there.

Play Wild Horse ($62).

Nice post, but relatively affordable is .... well, good thing you put relatively.  Unreal the prices some of these places are charging.  Not saying they are bad, and some may actually be worth it(and I am a capitalist, if people will pay it, good on ya), but man it just seems like a number of them have really gotten out there.  Of course that just shows me as a curmudgeon I guess.  🙂

Also, isn't the cool slang "windshield time"?  🤪

In all seriousness, I wonder if anyone has done a study on how much courses have been able to increase their rates by making this list. 

On 9/30/2021 at 3:28 PM, Mullenboy said:

Play Wild Horse ($62).

Pines from Prairie Club is on the list too isn’t it?  So at least it is three courses. Still a lit of driving…..through some pretty desolate area. 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 3:34 PM, golfortennis said:

Nice post, but relatively affordable is .... well, good thing you put relatively.  Unreal the prices some of these places are charging.  Not saying they are bad, and some may actually be worth it(and I am a capitalist, if people will pay it, good on ya), but man it just seems like a number of them have really gotten out there.  Of course that just shows me as a curmudgeon I guess.  🙂

Are you saying $720 is too much for TPC Sawgrass?😆

18 minutes ago, CougarRed said:

Are you saying $720 is too much for TPC Sawgrass?😆

Sawgrass and Shadow Creek are the 2 that stand out for me. The $700 I paid for a day at Pebble was worth it, same with places like Whistling Straits, Erin Hills and Kiawah. I don't mind paying for top courses, but there is no way I'd choose to pay to play Shadow Creek or Sawgrass over a place like Pinehurst or multiple rounds and Bandon.

• Thanks 1

I live 20 minutes from Sawgrass and will never play there.  Not worth $400 in the offseason either.  They charge those prices specifically because people want a shot at 17 with a dozen balls.  

• Like 1

Taylormade Stealth+ 10.5*

Stealth+ 3W

Stealth+ 5W

Honma TR20V 5-GW

Edel SMS 54/58

Custom Built Putter by Myself

2 hours ago, mci711 said:

Sawgrass and Shadow Creek are the 2 that stand out for me. The $700 I paid for a day at Pebble was worth it, same with places like Whistling Straits, Erin Hills and Kiawah. I don't mind paying for top courses, but there is no way I'd choose to pay to play Shadow Creek or Sawgrass over a place like Pinehurst or multiple rounds and Bandon.

Maybe it's easier to swallow if you think about it as $40 a hole...🤣

Lot of interesting discussion here. I think I've fallen more out of love with Golf Digest's rankings over the years. In this list, it seems like they give a lot of weight to resorts and courses that host majors/PGA tour events. 

- I think Erin Hills and Spyglass are both a bit too high on this list for me, and probably Spyglass at 10 feels the most overrated of the courses on the list that I've played. I thought it had an excellent start 1-6 but lost a bunch of steam afterwards. I'd have it behind all of the following, which they have ranked lower: Pasatiempo, Mammoth, Old Mac, Kapalua, and Sand Valley. 

- Erin Hills I actually really loved, but it's just a little higher on this list than I'd have it. I enjoyed Mammoth Dunes and Kapalua more, but just barely. 

- I'd throw Blackwolf Run River a little further down the list for me personally too. It again was really good, but I have a lot of the courses I've mentioned that are generally in that 10-40 range higher than BWR. 

- I'll echo what others have said that having Quintero on the list truly feels like a crime compared to the other Arizona courses I've played. We Ko Pa Saguaro is quite high on my list, around where I'd have Blackwolf Run River, but isn't on this list at all. I think that's a truly special course and my favorite I've played in Arizona. 

- Then some of the kinda lower tier courses at some of the big resorts like The Links at Spanish Bay and BWR Meadow Valleys feel a touch high to me as well. I didn't think MV was really all that special when I played it. 

The end of the list is kinda strange too: I don't know that I've heard anyone think TPC Colorado, for example, is a top 100 public elsewhere. I never made it up there to play it the couple years I lived in Colorado because it never ranked high even on in state lists. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, newg33b said:

Lot of interesting discussion here. I think I've fallen more out of love with Golf Digest's rankings over the years. In this list, it seems like they give a lot of weight to resorts and courses that host majors/PGA tour events. 

- I think Erin Hills and Spyglass are both a bit too high on this list for me, and probably Spyglass at 10 feels the most overrated of the courses on the list that I've played. I thought it had an excellent start 1-6 but lost a bunch of steam afterwards. I'd have it behind all of the following, which they have ranked lower: Pasatiempo, Mammoth, Old Mac, Kapalua, and Sand Valley. 

- Erin Hills I actually really loved, but it's just a little higher on this list than I'd have it. I enjoyed Mammoth Dunes and Kapalua more, but just barely. 

- I'd throw Blackwolf Run River a little further down the list for me personally too. It again was really good, but I have a lot of the courses I've mentioned that are generally in that 10-40 range higher than BWR. 

- I'll echo what others have said that having Quintero on the list truly feels like a crime compared to the other Arizona courses I've played. We Ko Pa Saguaro is quite high on my list, around where I'd have Blackwolf Run River, but isn't on this list at all. I think that's a truly special course and my favorite I've played in Arizona. 

- Then some of the kinda lower tier courses at some of the big resorts like The Links at Spanish Bay and BWR Meadow Valleys feel a touch high to me as well. I didn't think MV was really all that special when I played it. 

The end of the list is kinda strange too: I don't know that I've heard anyone think TPC Colorado, for example, is a top 100 public elsewhere. I never made it up there to play it the couple years I lived in Colorado because it never ranked high even on in state lists. 

I’m pretty sure you and I are the same person. 

• Like 2

I haven't played too many of these courses.  I have only played 1 (Pebble Beach Golf Links), 42 (Torry Pines South) and 44 (Broadmoor East).  I have played several courses that used to be in the top 100 in years past but are no longer on the list.  It looks as if I need to travel a bit and play some of these courses.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I've also played around 20 of the Top 100.

One that is missing (probably because it is extremely remote) is Black Jack's Crossing @ Lajitas tucked away in SW Texas near Big Bend National Park. 

Take a look: 

https://lajitasgolfresort.com/default.aspx?pg=golf&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxZ7j1MW98wIVK2xvBB0ScAYHEAAYASAAEgLSOfD_BwE

Reminds me a lot of Wolf Creek in Mesquite.  Played BJC several times as my in-laws have a ranch about 45 min from there.

Edited by TK3
  • Like 1

My set-up:
Bag - Flex Tech Crossover
Driver - Ping G430 MAX with HZRDUS Black Smoke

3 Wood - Ping G430

Hybrid - Rocketballz 3 Hybrid
Irons - Cobra King Tour irons

Wedges - Ping Glide 4  50* / 54* / 58*
Putter - Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
Shoes - Ecco Hybrid
Ball - Maxfli Tour X

• 4 weeks later...

Looking at this list again, the fact that Pinehurst No. 8 is even on the list at all is bizarre to me. That course is fine but nothing spectacular. I thought Pinehurst No. 9 was way more fun and interesting. The back 9 at No. 8 is a slog. 

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

• 1 month later...

I've played about 20 of these courses with 11 of them being in the top 20.

I was most dissapointed with Erin Hills....course did nothing for me.

Loved the Loop at Forest Dunes....most guys who complain dont understand how to play those types of conditions.  The Loop plays the same way as the Bandon courses and its fast and firm which frustrates most.

Black Lake Golf club in Onaway Michigan should be added to list in my opinion

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

On 10/3/2021 at 1:48 PM, deadsolid...shank said:

Pines from Prairie Club is on the list too isn’t it?  So at least it is three courses. Still a lit of driving…..through some pretty desolate area. 

The bet here is Landmand will be in the top 30 when it opens. Just one more reason to visit Nebraska.

Just to keep this thread going, while the lists are a bit fraudulent and potentially crooked, for those of us who like to PLAY golf rather than just discuss it or watch it...this is the only list that matters. Augusta, Pine Valley, Oakmont...they are surely awesome and amazing but I won't get to play them so I don't really care. But lists like this one introduced me to Mike Strantz (RIP) who, for my money, makes incredibly memorable golf courses. When I travel and pay a ton of money I want to see and play something that is unique while still being playable. There are few courses in the Top 100 that probably bought their way in but for the most part when I play a Top 100 course I am not disappointed. 

• Like 1

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1