Pulling Graphite Shaft from Putter?

dlow206

If you want an easy way, just cut it off with a carbide rod saw.  Sand the tip square.  Put a tiny extension in the butt.  Drill out the stub still in the head. 

I wouldn't do this unless "traditional" extraction methods didn't work, and I wouldn't do this for a customer without approval. But it'd be a decent backup method if you screw something up. 

• Like 2

First question - What putter?

Yes, it matters.

BT

Cobra LTD Pro 10.5° HZRDUS Blk 75 6.0 @ 44.5"
Cobra LTD Black 14.5° Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43"
Cobra F6 16.5° Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5"
Mizuno MP25 4-PW Mamiya Recoil Proto 125 F4
Mizuno MP-T5 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Master Perforated Midsize

Oddysey Stroke Lab V-Line Blk 33.5"

4 minutes ago, Ri_Redneck said:

First question - What putter?

Yes, it matters.

BT

Not actually intending to pull one at the moment, just trying to figure out how. I think i can figure out some solution for a plumbers neck. Female style center shafted putters are what i dont have a good solution for. 

If you don't care about saving the shaft, then cut and drill. However, if the shaft needs to be saved, then you're stuck pulling it using low heat. With an all metal head, you can simply heat the head slowly while applying pressure with the puller. May take a while for the heat to permeate to the shaft, but it will come out eventually. If the head has an insert, then things get really complicated. In all cases, I would use a micro torch so I could be precise applying the heat. I would also get some Club Shield Gel to put on the shaft to hopefully protect it while heating. Apply heat NEAR the shaft, but you don't want the flame to actually touch it. \The one thing you have on your side is that most putters usually only have about 1/2" of insertion and many manufacturers use weaker epoxy on putters just to make them easier to pull.

Good luck!

BT

Cobra LTD Pro 10.5° HZRDUS Blk 75 6.0 @ 44.5"
Cobra LTD Black 14.5° Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43"
Cobra F6 16.5° Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5"
Mizuno MP25 4-PW Mamiya Recoil Proto 125 F4
Mizuno MP-T5 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Master Perforated Midsize

Oddysey Stroke Lab V-Line Blk 33.5"