New Left Dash Competitors?

butterysnaphook

With the success of the Pro V1X Left Dash, will other ball manufacturers make a higher compression and lower spinning option? Callaway has tried to do it with the LS ball, but it isn’t quite as long or low spin as the Left Dash. I would like to see other manufacturers push the limits on high compression, high launch, and low spin. 

21 minutes ago, SBH9458 said:

Would be interesting to see. Left dash is what I play, and I know of nothing out there that outperforms it for me.

What really blew me away was that I played the same Left Dash for 4 rounds and it was still in good shape. The most durable ball I’ve ever played and definitely the longest ball on the market. Not a fan of the feel of the ball though. 

• Like 2

The more I play and love it - the more I'm not sure how much of a widespread market there is for this. For the average player, this ball is still going to feel rock hard around the greens. BUT - the fact that its more of a specialty thing doesn't mean that OEMs wont pump out competitors.

Rick Shiels just did a review of the ball where he basically said that its the longest ball he's tried but also feels really hard around the greens.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

I game the CSX LS and it's just as long as the left dash for me with just enough spin for irons.  Only difference I see is that the left dash launches too high for me whereas the CSX LS doesn't and holds it's line better in the wind.  Don't get me wrong, the left dash is a good ball but the CSX LS fits me better.  I wish the LS was as durable as the left dash though. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

5 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

I game the CSX LS and it's just as long as the left dash for me with just enough spin for irons.  Only difference I see is that the left dash launches too high for me whereas the CSX LS doesn't and holds it's line better in the wind.  Don't get me wrong, the left dash is a good ball but the CSX LS fits me better.  I wish the LS was as durable as the left dash though. 

If you can spot the difference in trajectory between those two balls, you are a human trackman. They preform about as close as two balls can (save wind performance which is nearly impossible for mortals to test).

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Golf_LU said:

I saw a picture of a Bridgestone prototype ball recently. Their BX was a solid ball when I tested it. Still spun a lot for me. I would give it another shot if they could drop the spin on that ball. 

Bryson did say he's trying to combat high spin on his irons and driver because of such high swing speeds. I wouldn't put it by Bridgestone that it's already in the works and has been for some time. Callway, Titleist have their low spinners. Previous gen TP5x was pretty close to those two. It's only a matter of time we get the same reaction from Bridgestone and Srixon. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stanks said:

Bryson did say he's trying to combat high spin on his irons and driver because of such high swing speeds. I wouldn't put it by Bridgestone that it's already in the works and has been for some time. Callway, Titleist have their low spinners. Previous gen TP5x was pretty close to those two. It's only a matter of time we get the same reaction from Bridgestone and Srixon. 

I’d say Bryson is already using a different ball than what’s on the shelves. He explores every Avenue of performance and I think the golf ball would be low-hanging fruit to reduce spin and give him more ball speed. I wouldn’t be surprised if the ball he plays is similar to Left Dash. 

34 minutes ago, butterysnaphook said:

I’d say Bryson is already using a different ball than what’s on the shelves. He explores every Avenue of performance and I think the golf ball would be low-hanging fruit to reduce spin and give him more ball speed. I wouldn’t be surprised if the ball he plays is similar to Left Dash. 

I always heard he played the retail version of the Tour B X.  Would need to see a side stamp of a ball he's playing to confirm though.  Glancing at the conforming list, no markings on Tour B X versions jump out as being tour only balls.  Srixon has a ton of Z-Star and Z-Star XV balls on the list that look like tour only or JDM only.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, butterysnaphook said:

Also, with “the other website’s ball test” and Rick Shiels showing that LD is the longest ball in golf, other manufacturers will either have to accept that Left Dash is the longest or they can try to compete. Hopefully they compete. 

Not so fast...

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

1 minute ago, trackcoach13 said:

Not so fast...

Don’t put stock into indoor ball tests. I love the TXG guys, but aerodynamics and dimple patterns are half the battle and it’d be crazy for it to be excluded as a factor.  I play the chrome soft X LS weekly and used to play the 2019 tp5x for an entire season. The left dash goes higher with less spin with every club in the bag. All the guys I play with have the speed/spin to play all of these balls effectively outdoors and they all agree. The thing is hard as a damn rock though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, butterysnaphook said:

That very well may be true. I looked up the conforming ball list and there is definitely a few different Tour BX models in circulation with the B logo and different alignment styles. Very interesting.

1 minute ago, Stanks said:

That very well may be true. I looked up the conforming ball list and there is definitely a few different Tour BX models in circulation with the B logo and different alignment styles. Very interesting.

Bryson is swinging it up to 148mph clubhead speed during training. It takes a very very firm ball to not turn into a marshmallow when it’s compressed at 135+mph. I’d be curious to see if Bridgestone doesn’t release a “Bryson Ball” kinda like how the XS is the “tiger ball”

1 minute ago, butterysnaphook said:

Bryson is swinging it up to 148mph clubhead speed during training. It takes a very very firm ball to not turn into a marshmallow when it’s compressed at 135+mph. I’d be curious to see if Bridgestone doesn’t release a “Bryson Ball” kinda like how the XS is the “tiger ball”

100% Concur. The man is turning a lot of heads in the game. Some are calling him out on his stupid distances, the fact that he plays one lengths, his golf style / hat, his off course antics, his off the cuff comments, and even his putting style. He is consistently in the headlines and in the news even if he misses a cut. Bridgestone would be wise to please him (and they continue to do so), and give him the resources he needs to fly the ball further while maintaining practical spin numbers that make a ball predictable and reliable. 

I still wonder, to this day, if Nike ball users didn't go to other companies or sign deals with other manufacturers, would they play the BX or BXS? They are extremely good and were made by Bridgestone a while. 

7 minutes ago, butterysnaphook said:

Don’t put stock into indoor ball tests. I love the TXG guys, but aerodynamics and dimple patterns are half the battle and it’d be crazy for it to be excluded as a factor.  I play the chrome soft X LS weekly and used to play the 2019 tp5x for an entire season. The left dash goes higher with less spin with every club in the bag. All the guys I play with have the speed/spin to play all of these balls effectively outdoors and they all agree. The thing is hard as a damn rock though.

I play 180+ rounds a year and have played all three balls extensively. I find the 2019 TP5x to fly higher than the other two. For me, the LD is no longer than the other two. Period. 

• Like 2

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

54 minutes ago, trackcoach13 said:

I play 180+ rounds a year and have played all three balls extensively. I find the 2019 TP5x to fly higher than the other two. For me, the LD is no longer than the other two. Period. 

We all have different experiences and results from equipment and that’s one of the things that makes this game fun. 

• Like 1

I have gone back and forth between the ProV and ProV1 for years, depending on the course and conditions. ProV1 is my normal ball. ProV1x every now and then when a course is longer and/or has softer greens. 

Tried the left dash last month (for a single round, just for the heck of it). Probably won't ever game it. While I can tell the difference between the ProV1 and ProV1x, I didn't actually see that much of a difference in performance between the ProV1x and the left dash either in distance or around the greens - except it flat out did not feel as good. Even hitting the sweet spot with a Mizzy iron felt like I was hitting a clicky rock. 

That's not bashing Titleist however. They make it clear that the left dash is (really) only made for pros, and maybe a small percentage of amateurs. I certainly don't have a 120 swing speed, and don't have that much spin on my launch anyway, so balls like this don't mean much to me.

Suppose it is like most things in golf. There is no "good" equipment - balls or clubs - in the absolute sense. There's just the equipment that either suits your game, or doesn't.

• Like 3

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

Just what I need.  Another ball that dashes to the left after I hit it.

• Haha 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

• 3 weeks later...

Why are the comparisons to the 19 TP5x and not the new version? Is the general consensus that the new TP5x has changed dramatically in feel and performance?

I tried the new TP5x and didn’t like it.  It felt too soft and spinny, but I have no data to back that up. Been playing with the CSX LS but I’m not in love with that either. I think I’ll go back to the 19 TP5x but give the new version one more chance before I do.

Looking for a higher ball flight with medium spin

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

4 hours ago, anth said:

Why are the comparisons to the 19 TP5x and not the new version? Is the general consensus that the new TP5x has changed dramatically in feel and performance?

I tried the new TP5x and didn’t like it.  It felt too soft and spinny, but I have no data to back that up. Been playing with the CSX LS but I’m not in love with that either. I think I’ll go back to the 19 TP5x but give the new version one more chance before I do.

Looking for a higher ball flight with medium spin

Compression-wise, the TP5 and TP5x both moved down a tier in their 2021 models vs 2019. The current TP5x has almost the same compression as the 2019 TP5. I used to love Taylormade balls but in 2021, Taylormade does not set itself apart in performance or price and there are better options for me.

• Thanks 1

Chromesoft XLS is as long or longer than the LD for me, however they both feel like rocks and the XLS is a little more spinny off the driver for me. I think that the Bridgestone B XS and Z Star XV are slightly shorter but are much better around the green and are firm but not crazy firm like the LD or XLS. It would be interesting for Bridgestone, TM, Srixon to make a similar ball but I would never game it like I would the B XS or Z Star XV.

I have been enjoying Left DASH ProV1x for a while now.  Yep, it's the longest of ProV balls, and similar for me distance wise to AVX.  It's great around the greens.  I hit a 230+yd 2i last weekend, and carry was 225+, that was as pure as this ole man can hit it. 😛  Dash seems to run out a tad more on nice fairways too.

No desire to try Callaway LS or switch balls.  I am happy with the bag, as is.  Not sure if there is a large enough market out there for DASH to stay in production, I am hoping though.  Whether other ball mfgs invest in a similar profile, that's a multi-million dollar question.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

45 minutes ago, tsecor said:

Also, Titleist left dot is the future.....best ball ever made IMO. Checks every single box and flies longer than left dash for me.

Wow - you played the Dot? That was a limited release to the public (or so I think I heard somewhere), wasn't sure Titleist had even decided to make it widely available going forward. How did it compare to the Dash?

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag