Project X LZ 5.5...Regular or Stiff?

Gerr

I have heard several different opinions on this.  My local SuperStore said Mizuno considers 5.5 as stiff.  PXG calls 5.5 a regular.  Project X refers to it as a R+.  Personally, I think it plays more like a S-.  Looking to see what other's have to say.

Main reason I am asking is due to a recent shoulder injury, I have had to slow my swing speed down and smooth out my aggressive tempe.  I am now considering replacing those shafts.  I have 3 possible spare sets to use without needing to spend any money.  My original question is what will determine what I will install, pending I change at all.  I have Nippon Modus3 105 Regular AND Stiff, plus a set of TT XP 105 R300.

My reasoning to consider the 5.5's as a soft stiff is if you take the TT DG S300 into PX's system, it comes out at 5.8 and the R300 at 4.8, or that's what I have read.  Thus 5.5 is just a bit softer than DG S300, but still closer to it then R300, so probably around an S200?  Since PX considers 6.0 as stiff and 5.0 as regular, why not call 5.5 a Firm?

31 minutes ago, Gerr said:

I have heard several different opinions on this.  My local SuperStore said Mizuno considers 5.5 as stiff.  PXG calls 5.5 a regular.  Project X refers to it as a R+.  Personally, I think it plays more like a S-.  Looking to see what other's have to say.

Main reason I am asking is due to a recent shoulder injury, I have had to slow my swing speed down and smooth out my aggressive tempe.  I am now considering replacing those shafts.  I have 3 possible spare sets to use without needing to spend any money.  My original question is what will determine what I will install, pending I change at all.  I have Nippon Modus3 105 Regular AND Stiff, plus a set of TT XP 105 R300.

Flex letters has NO common standards, they are NOT for compare of different models at all.
All this letters or numbers tells you is where that shaft belongs in its own family series.
You have a set of XP 105 R, but did you know that XP 115 R is stiffer than XP 105 S?
Simply forget the task you are up to, we cant and should not use this letters for compare of different shaft models at all, so PX LZ 5.5 is softer than LZ 6.0, thats it.

Compared to what you have now, PX LZ 5.5 is in the area of MODUS 105 S. but with more weight.

image.png.3d536e7567d06be67e780ca8834a1679.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

Due to wrist/elbow/shoulder, I pulled LZ 5.5 last spring and replaced with Recoil 95 F4 I had laying around.  P760 irons. Fairly smooth tempo.

No swing change, but based on “new” ball flight and distances, I believe the Recoils play soft to flex and definitely softer than the LZ 5.5.  However, how much of that is graphite vs steel, IDK. It’s also a 20g weight change, but I don’t have swing speed numbers to indicate any change there either. We’ve all read here over and over that shaft weight is key…so maybe I was misfit with the LZ 5.5 to begin with? 

Point being, Ive always thought the 5.5 were pretty firm for a shaft with an R (or “R+”) describing them.

A set of JPX 921s should hit my doorstep this week with Modus3 105 in Regular…hoping to find a middle ground between my LZs and Recoils with those, but won’t hesitate to play graphite in both sets if the results aren’t there.  

Howard is the savant around here and shouldn’t be ignored,  but I’d try the 105 R first with the swing changes you’ve made.

Good Luck!

Edited by 968cab

I play "stiff" shafts for all my clubs but I always feel px 6.0 steel shafts are too harsh (no problem with px wood and hybrid shafts). While LZ is a bit more manageable than the original px, I would still pick 5.5 lz if I have a chance. Choosing the best iron shafts is very difficult... For all steel shafts I tried, I liked elevate tour s and modus 120s though I currently play 95g proto shafts for my irons. Now I am looking for graphite shafts with similar feel but lighter. 

On 9/18/2021 at 10:51 PM, Howard_Jones said:

Flex letters has NO common standards, they are NOT for compare of different models at all.
All this letters or numbers tells you is where that shaft belongs in its own family series.
You have a set of XP 105 R, but did you know that XP 115 R is stiffer than XP 105 S?
Simply forget the task you are up to, we cant and should not use this letters for compare of different shaft models at all, so PX LZ 5.5 is softer than LZ 6.0, thats it.

Compared to what you have now, PX LZ 5.5 is in the area of MODUS 105 S. but with more weight.

image.png.3d536e7567d06be67e780ca8834a1679.png

This is a GREAT chart, where did you find it?  I would like to know more about it and how to read it, ie what every column means in relation to overall flex.  But upon my initial glance, I can tell the XP 105 R300 is a very soft shaft, even softer than the PX LZ 5.0, so ruling that one out.  I now have to decide if I want to swap shafts and if so, which of the two Modus3 shafts would work best.  The regular set is 4-GW while the stiff set is 3-PW.  Since I only have to replace 4-PW, I could either hard step the regulars or soft step the stiffs if their straight flexes are not ideal.

Based on the chart above, if I wanted irons that play slightly softer than my PX LZ 5.5's, plus the ~10g weight savings, which set of Modus3 would be best?  Stiff?  Stiff(ss)?  Regular(hs)?  Regular?

If I am reading this chart correctly, the 4 frequency spots are butt, 7.5" from butt(A), 15" from butt(B), and tip, plus the deflection column, which is an overall gauge of flex.  I would say that the Modus3 Stiff is very similar to the PX LZ 5.5 with a slightly stiffer mid section and a softer tip and less deflection.  The Modus3 Regular seems to be very similar to the PX LZ 5.0 with a hair softer butt & mid, but a fairly softer tip and identical deflections.  Pending I read this correctly, that would place the Modus3 Stiff as slightly stiffer than the PX LZ 5.5 and the Modus3 Regular as slightly softer than the PX LZ 5.0, but both Modus3 shafts will have softer tips.  That sound right?

Pending I read that correctly, I would guess that the hard stepped Modus3 Regular would likely be the ideal choice for me.  My only worry is shaft length as these are pulls.  However, they were +1/4" from Mizuno and Mizuno measures their total length BEFORE grip, so these really played 1/2" over, ie a 38.5" 5i with grip.  At 5'11", I probably should be playing with standard length clubs rather than overlength, so hard stepping the 4-GW still works from a length perspective.

The big question is if I would notice the move from PX LZ 5.5 115g to Nippon Modus3 105 Regular(hs) 103g and if this weight & flex reduction will help with my new slower & smoother swing.  Well, not really smooth, but on the smoother side of moderate vs my old swing which was on the aggressive side of moderate.

The numbers are from a Database i have with a few thousand shafts, but its NOT really good for compare of shafts, since the one that made it, have chosen a few spots only, instead of a full profile, and since no shaft profile is identical, two shafts that might seems to be equal in that DB can be different feeling shafts in play. All it really does is to give us a idea of where a shaft belongs, and thats about it.

MODUS 120 is the model that has a EI profile most similar to PX LZ, but its even more curved (even weaker load zone if you like), but in that case, you DONT save weight at all, since we talk 1 gram on official weight. (MODUS 120 S would be a option to PX 5.5 LZ)

Here is how the full Energi inetria profile looks like on PX LZ and MODUS 120.
A Full EI profile is measure as strength "inch by inch" and then we get the full picture, and we DONT get that from the database i have, so the DB i have can "miss" important spots on the shaft we dont get to know about like we do on a full profile.

523860707_MODUS120toPXLZEIProfile.JPG.d0bb5e2a6d8bf0c1271792bbf4ebe1a3.JPG
The other MODUS models is NOT like the 120 (or similar to LZ)*
 Here is how all MODUS 3 models looks like as EI profile, and the others are very different from 120.

944604449_MODUSEnergyinertiaprofile.JPG.d8548e43b572cf594ac963ff2e77b1ee.JPG

I cant put LZ into this, but for my eyes, the 105 should be less of a "load zone" shaft than PX LZ.
You can see that from the mid and up, its quite similar to the 120, but the "weak" area is not that large, but for all i know, you would like the 105 profile better than the 120, but we should NEVER buy a shaft based on this datas alone, especially when weight difference is this large as 10 grams, since that WILL make a influence on how you swing it, so we cant predict the over all performance or feel in your hands based on this.

Here is the specs from my DB for MODUS 120 S, MODUS 105S and PX LZ 5.5
image.png.62eaa161e2c0e43db7adcca4ff83f2e3.png

I suggest you go and try the 105 as S flex since weight is in the area you seek.
Tip deflection is LOWER (bends less) than PX LZ and MODUS 120, because the 105 dont have such a weak spot as LZ and 120 has, so over all 105 might feel a tad stiffer for this reason, even i my DB say the tip is weaker like we also see at the bottom of Nippons own EI chart

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Im not sure how much softer you would like to go, but try both R and S in a demo club.
To get more of a "LZ feel" the 105 S as Soft-stepped could be the right choice. (it will move the numbers with about 1/3 against the R model.)

When someone spoke about a demo clubs, I went through my spare demo clubs and found a Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal 7i with a Nippon Modus3 105 Regular shaft on it.  I think that would be a good place to start, take it to the range and hit it next to my current 7i and see if which I prefer.

But based on the info HJ provided, is there any bend profile that suits a smooth tempo player better than an aggressive tempo player?

So far, I seem to be pretty shaft agnostic as other than overall weight, I really never have felt much of a difference, so other than going lighter, anything might work for me.

Edited by Gerr

I am adding some personal observations and thoughts as I am in a similar situation.

I agree with Howard that LZ is similar to Modus 120.  I like the weight, but not a profile I jive with.

Modus 105 R hard stepped is nice, but a little too light and soft.  I am working with Modus 115 S, and it is really close to the overall weight that I am seeking.  I wish there was something in between 105 S and 115 S.  I know this is splitting hairs.

My main point is that shaft weight is most important for what I am comfortable with.  Then I look at bend profile and stiffness.

As someone who had injuries as well.  I hope you can rest and recover.  It makes the shaft fitting/finding process easier overall.

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

1 hour ago, Gerr said:

When someone spoke about a demo clubs, I went through my spare demo clubs and found a Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal 7i with a Nippon Modus3 105 Regular shaft on it.  I think that would be a good place to start, take it to the range and hit it next to my current 7i and see if which I prefer.

But based on the info HJ provided, is there any bend profile that suits a smooth tempo player better than an aggressive tempo player?

So far, I seem to be pretty shaft agnostic as other than overall weight, I really never have felt much of a difference, so other than going lighter, anything might work for me.

Aggressive is just and expression for tempo, but there is different stages or periods of a swing
so its NOT like a "aggressive" swinger or hitter has aggressiveness in all of them. We have those players who is "full speed" from take away, but some of them "loose it" when they turn the club. Others can look slow from takeaway, and "explode" during transition, but loose it on the down swing, and then we have the third kind, smooth and controlled from take away and during transition, and then it "explodes" as son as the grip is on the way down.

What works is very individual and often dependent on the players feel preference.
Some player cant stand the feel of a shaft where they feel its loading, or feels weak during the down swing or like its bending under the grip, others cant stand the feel of shaft that feels like kicking during release, while others love just that feeling and cant play good unless they have that sensation of shaft feel.

My way of fitting shafts is not like most others, i have my "preferences" for what i mean is a good working swing, so ive always tried to find a profile that "trigger" the player into a swing more like i think it should be, and at the same time please their feel preference.

This concept is something i developed myself, and i did my best to explain it in a post below my DIY driver tune up, but the updates WRX have done, have made the text hard to read. Its called VISUAL FITTING where we can SEE "club specs" and how they trigger the player for the better or worse when he swing the club. This goes for both Total weight, head weight, over all balance, shaft profile and flex. ALL this specs is actually visible for the eye when we know what to look for, and thats what ive tried to explain in that post. i think is #8 below the main post in my DIY driver tune up, and its not hard to learn at all, but it might be hard to find that shaft profile unless we have tons of options like i had, or the player is very clear and tells about what he likes and dislikes.

'PS! a aggressive tempo from take away and during transition is often a "symptom" of a shaft thats to stiff for the player. A profile with more feedback of loading (like LZ) or simply "softer" should be tried on this players to smooth out his use of power and speed during this stages of his swing,
That was my concept and way of fitting shafts, where "high or low launch" was a "non issue" for ball flight, thats a LOFT issue, so i used the shaft to "tune" the players swing, and thats how i mean it should be done.

One of the players who was fitted for a full bag of shafts like this, was the Danish LPGA player Daisy Nielsen, so its no doubt that this fitting concept was a part of the swing she ended up with where Womans golf asked if her swing was the best ever seen. (see the video in the link and judge for yourself).

https://womensgolf.com/daisy-nielsen

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the info HJ, but I think until I get myself in front of a fitter who can see my swing and recommend me some shafts and I see/feel how they perform, this discussion is just a loose educated guess on what I need.

Main reason I was asking is the PXG 0211 set I bought as an "injury" set came with Elevate 95 R300's and I feel loose and wild with them, so getting the itch to get back to my Mizuno's.

I used to play the LZ 5.5 and would consider it R+. For the most recent irons I played with the LZ, I had Callaway soft-step them one time to get them down to 5.2.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

10 minutes ago, TM_HOYER said:

I used to play the LZ 5.5 and would consider it R+. For the most recent irons I played with the LZ, I had Callaway soft-step them one time to get them down to 5.2.

R+ compared to what?.....please dont try to make this to fit a chart that dont exist.
If you saw my own gamer bag, or arsenal of drivers, and had this thinking, you would never believe this bag or arsenal of drivers belonged to me, or was made for me, because i have R, S, X, and 5.5 labels on my shafts, but i can tell you that they are all withing a VERY tight area for flex and EI profiles where the average is a butt stiffness of FCM 4.9.

Ive done my best to explain shafts and shaft flex in this post for those with a deeper interest than the average. Its simply no way we can use flex labels to compare different models, not even within the same shaft company, because they was NOT meant for that purpose at all.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Howard_Jones said:

R+ compared to what?.....please dont try to make this to fit a chart that dont exist.
If you saw my own gamer bag, or arsenal of drivers, and had this thinking, you would never believe this bag or arsenal of drivers belonged to me, or was made for me, because i have R, S, X, and 5.5 labels on my shafts, but i can tell you that they are all withing a VERY tight area for flex and EI profiles where the average is a butt stiffness of FCM 4.9.

Ive done my best to explain shafts and shaft flex in this post for those with a deeper interest than the average. Its simply no way we can use flex labels to compare different models, not even within the same shaft company, because they was NOT meant for that purpose at all.

I consider it a R+ based on decades of playing both regular and stiff shafts. For me shafts are all about feel and finding a shaft that both feels right and performs. Numbers only can give me an idea of which shafts I might want to try.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

7 hours ago, Gerr said:

Is there a Cliff Notes version of that post HJ?  That's a lot to take in.

Nope....and like all other posts ive written in here, tech updates of this forums platform has "compressed" the text and made it harder to read, but illustrations survived on that one.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Gerr said:

Is there a Cliff Notes version of that post HJ?  That's a lot to take in.

There is no standard for flex and the different charts or numbers from different systems are not compatible with each other.

No single number is going to be an accurate representation of the stiffness feel of the shaft.

Only shafts of the same make, model, weight, and flex can be matched or compared for stiffness with butt frequency.

There is no short cut to get around dynamically fitting (trail and error actually hitting balls) for shaft selection or checking the fit of various stiffness profiles.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

There is no standard for flex and the different charts or numbers from different systems are not compatible with each other.

No single number is going to be an accurate representation of the stiffness feel of the shaft.

Only shafts of the same make, model, weight, and flex can be matched or compared for stiffness with butt frequency.

There is no short cut to get around dynamically fitting (trail and error actually hitting balls) for shaft selection or checking the fit of various stiffness profiles.

Most players is not aware of the facts that we have to go all the way back to Hickory shafts before we find a "common standard" for flex, but after steel shafts came to the marked, that was history, and its almost 100 years ago now. As times has gone by, we have gotten tons of new profile options where not even deflection can tell much about how a shaft will feel, so more than ever, real life testing is needed, no matter how advanced our measure tech for shafts has become.

Flex letters or numbers is ONLY address in that shaft model and weight series, so we can never use them to navigate between different models or weight classes, not even within the same company, not even within the same model series if weigh is different.

Examples.
Grafalloy BLUE (white) R flex, is stronger than Grafalloy Boyaah X flex
TT XP 115 R is stronger than TT XP 95 S
PX 6.0, is stronger than PXI 6.5
KBS Tour 90 S is softer than KBS Tour R

The label ONLY tells where that shaft belogs in its own model AND weight series, where XP 95 R is the softer option to XP 95 S, and thats ALL we can use this labels for, NOTING else.

Edited by Howard_Jones
  • Like 1

Problem is everyone wants a tool like that.  For example, in my original post, I would like to know how my PX LZ 115 5.5 would compare to Modus 105 Regular & Stiff as well as XP 105 R300, and maybe even throw in DG 105 R300 and Elevate 95 R300.  Having a way to measure even ballpark differences in overall flex would be great as not everyone can go in and demo all the shafts they want.  People's opinion will vary widely, so that's not a good source either.  Can this be done by comparing EI Bend Profiles or do those differ too?

Howard is your best source on this one for raw data, but for some real life data, I made the move this year from X100's to 6.0's, same boat, lost some club speed after back surgery.  I'm not 100% sure where it fits in the mold of all these charts, but from a feel and performance perspective they seem to slot between X100 and S300.   

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

1 hour ago, Gerr said:

Problem is everyone wants a tool like that.  For example, in my original post, I would like to know how my PX LZ 115 5.5 would compare to Modus 105 Regular & Stiff as well as XP 105 R300, and maybe even throw in DG 105 R300 and Elevate 95 R300.  Having a way to measure even ballpark differences in overall flex would be great as not everyone can go in and demo all the shafts they want.  People's opinion will vary widely, so that's not a good source either.  Can this be done by comparing EI Bend Profiles or do those differ too?

EI profiles WITH numbers is the best, but what we get out of it is only a short cut to where we should start testing, so we dont have to try of a full jungle of shafts, but nothing can replace real life testing.

We must never forget that we are humans, and we will never be compatible with numbers, so we can often look at the numbers and say...ahh lets go a flex softer or stronger, only to find out that was too much, and then we should consider hard or soft stepping to get it "just right".

Edited by Howard_Jones
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Howard_Jones said:

We must never forget that we are humans, and we will never be compatible with numbers, so we can often look at the numbers and say...ahh lets go a flex softer or stronger, only to find out that was too much, and then we should consider hard or soft stepping to get it "just right".

or to put it another way - we can relatively easily quantify the actual stiffness of the shaft (assuming someone takes the time and effort to do it and manage the resulting database).  But the problem comes in quantifying different individuals perception of the stiffness and how that perception might change for certain types of change in the stiffness profile changes.   That's the part that's as clear as mud.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Stuart_G said:

or to put it another way - we can relatively easily quantify the actual stiffness of the shaft (assuming someone takes the time and effort to do it and manage the resulting database).  But the problem comes in quantifying different individuals perception of the stiffness and how that perception might change for certain types of change in the stiffness profile changes.   That's the part that's as clear as mud.

I fully agree with you on that. The best tool i had for shaft specs was Tom Wishons shaft database, and that was really help full, but i had those cases where i used the numbers, picked another shaft and did NOT expect the players reaction to it at all. I especially remember one case, a LPGA player who was used to a Diamana model that was to heavy for her but the profile was fine.

The closest option my DB could find was PL BLUE 55 S with only a few CPM stronger mid section than the Diamana model (plus 60 grams if i recall right), so i was almost certain that the lower weight would make it, and that this few CPMs as difference would not matter....

WOW, she HATED the feel of it, WAY to stiff, and we talk a fragment of a flex class, so i know we cant predict how it works and feels, we can only find options to start testing from, and since shafts always have "tolerances", we might find a model who from the DB looks "softer", while the actual shaft is stronger....been there done that, so this aint as simple as many players want this to be, they actually think that if we have a full EI profile with numbers, we know what we get, but thats NOT true.

That means we have both numbers thats NOT written in stone from shaft to shaft (same labels), and we have the human factor for whats too little or too much.

• Like 1

I also have the Project X LZ 5.5s and love them.

Given what has been said here, I gather that a TT DG 105 in S300 would be similar.

Does anyone have a guess at what the equivalent flex would be for the TT DG 120 line?

Also, the TT Elevate line differs from the DG and Project X LZ how? If I like my LZs, what would be the equivalent Elevate.

Thanks.

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

• 4 weeks later...

HJ...I played the JPX 921 HM with the modus 120 shaft.  I decided to try the HM pro with the 5.5.  Looking at the data they seem very comparable shafts, but I have lost about 10 yards across the board on my 7-PW compared to the Modus 120.  Does that seem possible given the similarities in the weight?  Could that be due to the EI profile of the shafts?  Thanks for the response.

10 hours ago, RLukins said:

HJ...I played the JPX 921 HM with the modus 120 shaft.  I decided to try the HM pro with the 5.5.  Looking at the data they seem very comparable shafts, but I have lost about 10 yards across the board on my 7-PW compared to the Modus 120.  Does that seem possible given the similarities in the weight?  Could that be due to the EI profile of the shafts?  Thanks for the response.

it happens yes, since FEEL of flex is a trigger for how you load and release the shaft, and that can change delivery to the ball. Its NOT normal, not at all, but at the most extreme ive seen 20 yards on RIFLE FCM 6.0 vs 6.4 or hard stepped once. (6.4 was about 20 yards longer as carry for a #6 iron on ONE player, but the trend showed that "many" should use a hard stepped RIFLE FCM instead of strait in, but it DONT mean this is valid for all shaft, and all players.)

On 9/19/2021 at 6:09 PM, sociojeje said:

I play "stiff" shafts for all my clubs but I always feel px 6.0 steel shafts are too harsh (no problem with px wood and hybrid shafts). While LZ is a bit more manageable than the original px, I would still pick 5.5 lz if I have a chance. Choosing the best iron shafts is very difficult... For all steel shafts I tried, I liked elevate tour s and modus 120s though I currently play 95g proto shafts for my irons. Now I am looking for graphite shafts with similar feel but lighter. 

I find this to be the case as well, and actually like Modus 120 stiff as a second place to LZ 5.5 (albeit different feeling). I can hit an LZ 6.0 but usually it’s in a fitting and not on course, the 5.5 feels plenty stiff for me and I strongly fit into stiff whenever I try other brands. Hope that helps.