2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Cool Clubs Question

rizzo66

I need some advice before I escalate an issue I perceive. I'm 70 years old and have been playing for 60 years - I play to a 5.5 usga handicap so I can still get the ball in the hole. I wanted to get more run out of my drives so at my sons suggestion I went to CoolClubs in Scottsdale for a fitting ( Thought cheaper than the experimenting I've been doing ) I didn't get massive increases but enough to order a G425 Driver with an accra shaft. They called and said it would be a month till they could get the G425 head  and I asked if I could buy it and ship it to them. They said no problem since they made little on the heads anyway. Well I sent them a near new G425 with the stock shaft . A week later when I went to pick up the club they said they destroyed the other shaft for it was cheap anyway. When I said all they had to do is unscrew it and in 2 instances my sons had gotten their shafts back when they picked the new setup. I bit the bullet and said fine and went to test out the new stick. I was getting slightly better results than my previous driver but was now getting a baby fade versus the baby draw I usually get. Thought it might be from the club being lighter for I was having trouble feeling the head like my old one. ( PXG Proto X+ ) bnI adjusted the back weight then got a hook so I thought I'd adjust the hosel to tone it down. When I Tried to unscrew the head It was glued in place with no means to adjust it  ( Looks like a different sleeve ) Screw is just a wood screw to fill the hole. Now no means to tweak unless some hot melt is used and I can't change shafts easily. I was told that its glued in for the shaft is pured and it would undo the profile. I have run a pro practice facility for 30 years for Champions and PGA tour and ever since the advent of adjustable hosel have never seen them glued in and the factory reps, players and coaches adjusting the hosels all the time during the practice days. My two boys who have gotten drivers there have the hosels you can adjust so I'm wondering if this is something new or I'm being played. If the isn't the right part of the forum please let me know where to post.

4 minutes ago, Dpavs said:

There is no reason for them to have destroyed the original shaft. There is no reason for them to have glued the hosel in place. There is no reason or excuse for what they have done. They owe you a new everything or compensation for everything. IMO they are either very stupid or assume you are.

They ARE stupid.  they think he is ignorant. 

• Like 1

Wow ! Sounds like there’s a Butcher on the payroll @ Cruel Clubs. 

Any pics of there so-called ‘workmanship’ ? 🤦‍♂️

***Good luck getting sorted. 

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

13 minutes ago, sevenfourate said:

Wow ! Sounds like there’s a Butcher on the payroll @ Cruel Clubs. 

Any pics of there so-called ‘workmanship’ ? 🤦‍♂️

***Good luck getting sorted. 

The workmanship looks clean its the lack of flexibility with tuning that bothers me and the difficulty with changing shafts in the future.

That's compete nonsense. No reason to glue anything. They owe you a new driver and refund for the work they did and paid for. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke 10.5°(9.5°) - GD Tour AD IZ 5

Taylormade SIM2 TI 3W 15°(14°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 HMP (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Vokey SM8 52°(50°) F Grind

Vokey SM8 56° M Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

I question why the poster sent them the full club instead of unscrewing and removing the shaft, sending them just the head.

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

33 minutes ago, Billfitz said:

I question why the poster sent them the full club instead of unscrewing and removing the shaft, sending them just the head.

I would have in a heartbeat, but the club was drop shipped to CoolClubs - I didn't find out that it would take a month to get a head till I was back in Minnesota.

I am trying to figure this out, you wanted a ping g 425 head with an accura shaft but cool clubs couldn’t get the head. So you send them a brand new 425 with the stock shaft for them to put an adapter on the accura and attach it to the brand new head? However instead they destroyed the stock shaft and bonded the new shaft to the head with no ping sleeve? 

I would not piss around with the retail guys at this point; that was club/shaft they destroyed, go straight to corporate and demand they make things right immediately, maybe even get Ping involved.

Scottsdale (Corporate Headquarters)

7267 E. Adobe Dr. Suite 115

Scottsdale, AZ 85255

Ping G400 Max, Ping Tour 65R
Ping G425 5W w/Alta S

Ping i200 5-U w/SteelFiber fc90R

Ping Glide 3 54/12 & 58/6
Odyssey O-Works 330M Black 

Thanks everyone for your comments it confirmed my suspicions - I also talked to a couple LPGA players today that are on the Ping staff and their shafts are adjustable. I'm calling them tomorrow with a few options - I'll see what they say - I used to go Bat s*** crazy when stuff like this happened but learned 2 things - theres alot worse things happening in the world than my little problems and when you should be mad and you stay calm and direct it scares the hell out of people

Al Pacino GIF by The Godfather

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A possible explanation: They got the club, didn't have a Ping adapter on hand, tried to remove the adapter off the shaft and in the process destroyed the shaft and adapter. Instead of getting an adapter they did a Mickey Mouse installation hoping the OP wouldn't know the difference.

Callaway Supersoft

Just now, Billfitz said:

A possible explanation: They got the club, didn't have a Ping adapter on hand, tried to remove the adapter off the shaft and in the process destroyed the shaft and adapter. Instead of getting an adapter they did a Mickey Mouse installation hoping the OP wouldn't know the difference.

That could be after all I'm just an old slump. What they don't realize I came from an era without all these fancy machines to optimize the clubs performance - when we got new clubs we would weight them with lead tape and bend them till we got the feel and performance we wanted -

Contact the Corporate office in Scottsdale. Ask for Mark Timms  he is the owner and a good guy to deal with. The sounds extremely odd for a Cool Clubs build . I have been to the Scottsdale facility pre-Covid for a spec check.   

• Like 2

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya Chrome 6TF5 

3 Wood: Tour Edge CBX 119 16.5 w/ PX Evenflow Blue 6.5

Hybrid: Fourteen Prototype 2 iron Bent to 20* w/ UST Mamiya Proto 125 X

Irons: Fourteen FH1000 4-PW 1*Strong/1*Up w/ KBS $Taper S+ +1/2

GW: Fourteen RM12 - 50/10   w/ KBS $Taper S+ +1/2

SW:  Fourteen RM12 – 54.5/10.5   w/ KBS 610 130 +1/2

LW:  Fourteen RM12 - 59/9   w/ KBS 610 130 +1/2

Putter: Odyssey 1W Milled / EVNROLL ER2 @ 34”,4* & 71* w/ Ionmic Mid Size

Ball: Taking Applications For Open Position !!! 

21 hours ago, rizzo66 said:

I need some advice before I escalate an issue I perceive. I'm 70 years old and have been playing for 60 years - I play to a 5.5 usga handicap so I can still get the ball in the hole. I wanted to get more run out of my drives so at my sons suggestion I went to CoolClubs in Scottsdale for a fitting ( Thought cheaper than the experimenting I've been doing ) I didn't get massive increases but enough to order a G425 Driver with an accra shaft. They called and said it would be a month till they could get the G425 head  and I asked if I could buy it and ship it to them. They said no problem since they made little on the heads anyway. Well I sent them a near new G425 with the stock shaft . A week later when I went to pick up the club they said they destroyed the other shaft for it was cheap anyway. When I said all they had to do is unscrew it and in 2 instances my sons had gotten their shafts back when they picked the new setup. I bit the bullet and said fine and went to test out the new stick. I was getting slightly better results than my previous driver but was now getting a baby fade versus the baby draw I usually get. Thought it might be from the club being lighter for I was having trouble feeling the head like my old one. ( PXG Proto X+ ) bnI adjusted the back weight then got a hook so I thought I'd adjust the hosel to tone it down. When I Tried to unscrew the head It was glued in place with no means to adjust it  ( Looks like a different sleeve ) Screw is just a wood screw to fill the hole. Now no means to tweak unless some hot melt is used and I can't change shafts easily. I was told that its glued in for the shaft is pured and it would undo the profile. I have run a pro practice facility for 30 years for Champions and PGA tour and ever since the advent of adjustable hosel have never seen them glued in and the factory reps, players and coaches adjusting the hosels all the time during the practice days. My two boys who have gotten drivers there have the hosels you can adjust so I'm wondering if this is something new or I'm being played. If the isn't the right part of the forum please let me know where to post.

What a horror story. I know there is many "no good" club makers out there, but i did not expect something this far out from a place like Cool clubs.

Pulling a shaft adapter is not advanced at all, most who visit this part of WRX can do that without destroying the shaft, but the next part of it was a bit unclear. IS the club delivered with the original adapter, but the whole thing is glued to the clubhead? Pured shafts or not, its no reason what so ever for them to do this, so i suspect its done to cover another mistake they did. Its not only preventing you to adjust the club if needed, the whole resale value of the club is gone, since a later buyer not only expect to be able to adjust the hosel settings, but also to change the shaft if needed.

Demand a new club or full return of your money, this is a horror story of how bad it could be, and absolutely not as expected from a company like this.

Edited by Howard_Jones

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

This is one of the most insane things I've ever read.  A wood screw?  Seriously, a wood screw?!?!  You certainly have more restraint than me.  I would have gone full blown Karen right then and there.

Cobra RadSpeed (9°) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Cobra SpeedZone Big Tour (13.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

Cobra SpeedZone Tour (17.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

TaylorMade Rescue 11 TP (16°) - Aldila RIP 85X

Titleist U500 (2) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 95X

Titleist 620CB (3-6) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist 620MB (7-9) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 (48.10F, 54.12D, 60.12D) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Taylormade Spider X #3

Titleist ProV1x

On 9/19/2021 at 5:31 AM, rizzo66 said:

First I'm sorry for your issue but there is no reason to "Pure" a new high quality grahite shaft. They are all round enough. A few uears back I had them "Pure" a Grafalloy ProFIt 4.0 for me but that is old leftover shaft made long before adjustable hosels. You should go to the corporate headquarters and ask them to make it right but I doubt it can be fixed quickly, the heads can be hard to get.

• Like 1

Driver Callaway Epic Flash Star 10.5 with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

3 wood Titlesit 913F with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

5 wood Ttleist 913F with Hazrdus Black 75g 5.5

Ping G5 3 iron Aldila VS Proto 95

Irons 4-9 Ping S58 Project X 5.5

Pitching wedge Ping Gorge 47 Project X 5.5

Gap wedge Ping Tour S 52 Project X 5.5

Lob wedge Ping Glide 58 SS Project X 5.5

Putter Ping Pal 2F

On 9/20/2021 at 5:41 PM, iknowbagu said:

This is one of the most insane things I've ever read.  A wood screw?  Seriously, a wood screw?!?!  You certainly have more restraint than me.  I would have gone full blown Karen right then and there.

THAT was exactly my point about ‘craftsmanship’ I questioned earlier when I asked for pics. The OP seemed non-plussed by it…..🤷‍♂️

An Advocate of Puring or not, the Pured shaft position should not change when the adapter is adjusted. Look at it this way. Say the Pured position is in line with a line on the grip and when you grip the club, the line falls is a position in your hands. When adjusting the adapter, the line on the grip (hence where in your hands when grippee) should be at the same place when the club is gripped. Picture a ribbed grip. The rib should remain in your hands at the same position regardless of the adapter position.

10 minutes ago, JCAG said:

An Advocate of Puring or not, the Pured shaft position should not change when the adapter is adjusted. Look at it this way. Say the Pured position is in line with a line on the grip and when you grip the club, the line falls is a position in your hands. When adjusting the adapter, the line on the grip (hence where in your hands when grippee) should be at the same place when the club is gripped. Picture a ribbed grip. The rib should remain in your hands at the same position regardless of the adapter position.

For Callaway maybe. Many other adapters require the shaft to be rotated to be adjusted. 

• Like 1

Cool Clubs shafted you for sure and need to make it right. My question, you seem to have a lot of access, why the hell are you going to Cool Clubs for a fitting?  

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

3 hours ago, sevenfourate said:

THAT was exactly my point about ‘craftsmanship’ I questioned earlier when I asked for pics. The OP seemed non-plussed by it…..🤷‍♂️

It looks like a normal screw head tightening the shaft to the head but when you unscrew it it has the thread and point of a wood screw - I was shocked when I unscrewed it.- Driver is in AZ and I'm in Wisconsin for the week so couldn't take pics it looks good till you unscrew it.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

Cool Clubs shafted you for sure and need to make it right. My question, you seem to have a lot of access, why the hell are you going to Cool Clubs for a fitting?  

I don't like playing on the access I have for our friends are constantly badgered -- Cool Clubs has done a great Job in there past for friends and a couple of my boys thats why I asked the question for I thought maybe things have changed.

• Like 1

UPdate - I spoke with Cool Clubs management and we are meeting when I return to AZ next Monday - gave them 3 options-- 1. Redo the Head (or New Head) with the proper adjustable Hosel and Shaft installed with proper adjustable adapter and give me a Alta CB shaft or reimburse me the cost to have shaft replaced by Ping . 2. Pull the shaft and replace with Stock Alta shaft and proper adapter reimburse my money ( fitting fee as well for my trouble ) and we go on our way. 3. Tell me to pound sand and I'll take it to Ping to fix and blast them to anyone who will listen plus file a BBB complaint with restitution. They didn't give me any indication as to direction they will go other than say they are shocked that the shaft was glued to the head and wanted to investigate. I appreciate the input from everyone it cemented by belief in what happened - 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rizzo66 said:

UPdate - I spoke with Cool Clubs management and we are meeting when I return to AZ next Monday - gave them 3 options-- 1. Redo the Head (or New Head) with the proper adjustable Hosel and Shaft installed with proper adjustable adapter and give me a Alta CB shaft or reimburse me the cost to have shaft replaced by Ping . 2. Pull the shaft and replace with Stock Alta shaft and proper adapter reimburse my money ( fitting fee as well for my trouble ) and we go on our way. 3. Tell me to pound sand and I'll take it to Ping to fix and blast them to anyone who will listen plus file a BBB complaint with restitution. They didn't give me any indication as to direction they will go other than say they are shocked that the shaft was glued to the head and wanted to investigate. I appreciate the input from everyone it cemented by belief in what happened - 

Nice move  ! Keep us all updated….

1 hour ago, rizzo66 said:

I don't like playing on the access I have for our friends are constantly badgered -- Cool Clubs has done a great Job in there past for friends and a couple of my boys thats why I asked the question for I thought maybe things have changed.

I guess I should have stated that even by using your connections, I still would have expected there be some compensation for their time.  Cool Clubs is a solid company, but you probably know guys who could have done it better.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Moe, Larry and Curly could have done better.

Callaway Supersoft

2 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

Cool Clubs is a solid company, but you probably know guys who could have done it better.

……..like my Son. Who’s coming up to 6 😉

• Like 1