Worst Round in Years

Naptime

Played yesterday.  Inconsistent as hell.  Shot 118 on a hard course where I would usually be in the 90s.  Great shots followed by chunks.  Wedges were OK.  3 putted a lot.  Completely lost my driver swing for 3 consecutive holes mid round - sky balls, worm burners, truly awful.  But I did flush some 3 wood second shots from 20 yards in front of the tee box. 😂

• Haha 4

Went out knowing it might rain, and did it ever. After nine we were done along with the rest of the groups ahead of us. We sat for 5 minutes on one hole waiting for it to slow down, what a mess. The scores reflected the conditions. 

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

6 minutes ago, Kmagnuss said:

Hey, at least you didn't do it in front of two long-time friends you hadn't seen in a year, after bragging about your new handicap and telling them they'd be better off playing a scramble against you. 

Haha been there for sure. It’s funny because between 75 and 82 is probably what one or two made putts, a few more chips hit in the right place and a few more drives hitting the fairway. 

Driver:  TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Fairway: TSR3 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  Sim2 Tensei Orange 90TX Or Srixon ZX 2 Iron 105X

Irons:Black T200 4-5 T100S 6-AW MMT 125TX

Wedges: MG4 54 MMT 125TX and Vokey SM9 58.04T MMT 125TX

Putter: Lajosi DD201

Pro V1X Left Dash

Been there.  The scary part is since I only play recreationally, when either my (or a buddies) round really goes south, the "rules" tend to loosen up a lot just to make sure the round stays somewhat fun.  I mean, once you hit your second ball OB, just go up and drop your ball around point of entry, or we'll give you that 8 footer for a snowman.

I'd hate to imagine what my really bad rounds would look like if I was in a tournament style format and had to conform to all rules by the book and putt out.  Glad I don't take golf that seriously.

• Like 2

Earlier this season a couple friends, my wife, and I drove two hours early in the morning to Turning Stone to play 36 holes. When we got there I was surprised to find out that they got some rain overnight, and it would be cart path only all day. I didn't think to bring extra shoes or socks because I had no idea there was rain anywhere in our area in the past 24 hours. My feet were prunes from walking back and forth across soppy fairways all day. Mistake #1.

Also, Turning Stone is a resort, and their resort courses have a lot of fairways that are sometimes 80-100 yards wide. And as Murphy's law would have it, I sure seemed like I hit my tee shots to the farthest possible point from the cart path as I could. So there were a lot of times I just took the whole bag off the cart and carried it over to my ball because I had no clue which club I was going to need. Add in high heat and humidity, and it was a recipe for disaster. 

Anyways, I played decent in the morning round, but in the afternoon round we played Kaluyhat which is a very tough course. I was playing to around a 7-index at the time, and I shot a 100 (97 ESC score). By FAR my worst round of the year. And two days earlier, I kid you not, I shot the best round of the year - a 74. I was just exhausted from the cart path only, the heat, and I was chunking and thinning some shots because of the wet conditions. It all just compounded into a bad round.  I think I lost 5-6 balls, which is an abnormality for me. 

As Zac said, sometimes golf just kicks you in the teeth. 

• Like 3

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

Monday was my worst "round" in a while.

Rain was forecast for 8, my tee time was 8. Got there at 7:30, let me tee off at 7:45. Perfect drive on 3, just as I bag my club it starts to dump. It looks like it won't hold, but you never know. 220 to the green, pull my 3 hybrid.

Downhill lie, ball just bellow my feet. Houses all along the right, but I slice, I don't hook. I did Monday. Listen for contact, hear a thud and no breakage. Still pouring, I'm soaked, calling it after 1 house and 2.5 holes of 9.

Back at the car, load the clubs, the clouds part and it was nice the rest of the morning.

The course looked like a lot of fun and I might try again, but the house proximity was a bit much. 

Highlands Golf Club, home of Discount Dan's. 🤣

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

• 1 month later...

Anytime I have a massive blow up round, I figure I'm just purging all of the terrible golf shots out of my system at once. Hopefully, I don't lose too much $$$ in the process.

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

On 9/20/2021 at 11:59 AM, Naptime said:

Played yesterday.  Inconsistent as hell.  Shot 118 on a hard course where I would usually be in the 90s.  Great shots followed by chunks.  Wedges were OK.  3 putted a lot.  Completely lost my driver swing for 3 consecutive holes mid round - sky balls, worm burners, truly awful.  But I did flush some 3 wood second shots from 20 yards in front of the tee box. 😂

You're probably having marital trouble.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Last Saturday first day of Club Championship qually I shot 13 on the 4th with 3 balls OB and a lost ball. From mad to speechless to depressed in one hole. Pulled myself together out of respect for the other competitors but shot 95. Worst round in a lot of years.  But there’s always a next Saturday.  

• Like 1

That's nothing OP. 😉

I took my wrx unworthy 6.8 handicap onto Pebble Beach for a dream round last summer.

It must be said, I did play 6 and 7 perfectly.

Otherwise ---- shot over 100! And I hadn't considered this @Ferguson, but my wife did walk along and was my scorekeeper, lol.

It was the single worst round I've had in at least 10 years.  It still haunts me.  My pregame on their range was magical, magical, could do anything with the ball (within my limited skillset).  Then breakfast with . . . . the wife (hmmmm, now I'm looking for a scapegoat - and she was a peach).  Even the caddie was flummoxed at how badly I was hitting shots, but encouraging and gave me a bunch of great reads that I blew.  Put too much pressure on myself, the course and surroundings were intimidating in their grandeur and I just couldn't "play golf".

I did meet Jim Nantz the day before at the par 3 Hay course! 

Only consolation - my cost per stroke was relatively low!  

• Like 1

3+ decades ago I was playing a local muni and went par bogey par bogey par bogey par bogey for the first 8 holes.  For me that is astoundingly amazing scoring.  Wife (we are still married) was with me but not playing.  As I was swinging at my second shot from just off the fairway, she yells "look out for the ducks" and I totally chunk the shot.  The ducks were nowhere near my aim - I would have had to shank it 90 degrees right and at least 20 yards to hit them.  Needless to say the rest of the round went completely to hell.  After a couple more experiences I concluded that I would never ever play golf with her anywhere nearby.

On 9/22/2021 at 10:19 AM, ZacR88 said:

Ebs and flows of golf.

I am a 1 HCP and shot an 87 the other day.....in a semi final match play for club championships . 

Golf can kick you in the teeth sometimes. 

I was playing great this summer. Usually hovering around a 5 handicap, shot multiple mid 70s rounds in competition, broke 70 for the first time in years. The late summer brought me down to a 3 index.

Just got back from an outing where I shot 85-87. 

Kicks you in the teeth indeed. 

• Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 10:53 AM, Roody said:

Earlier this season a couple friends, my wife, and I drove two hours early in the morning to Turning Stone to play 36 holes. When we got there I was surprised to find out that they got some rain overnight, and it would be cart path only all day. I didn't think to bring extra shoes or socks because I had no idea there was rain anywhere in our area in the past 24 hours. My feet were prunes from walking back and forth across soppy fairways all day. Mistake #1.

Also, Turning Stone is a resort, and their resort courses have a lot of fairways that are sometimes 80-100 yards wide. And as Murphy's law would have it, I sure seemed like I hit my tee shots to the farthest possible point from the cart path as I could. So there were a lot of times I just took the whole bag off the cart and carried it over to my ball because I had no clue which club I was going to need. Add in high heat and humidity, and it was a recipe for disaster. 

Anyways, I played decent in the morning round, but in the afternoon round we played Kaluyhat which is a very tough course. I was playing to around a 7-index at the time, and I shot a 100 (97 ESC score). By FAR my worst round of the year. And two days earlier, I kid you not, I shot the best round of the year - a 74. I was just exhausted from the cart path only, the heat, and I was chunking and thinning some shots because of the wet conditions. It all just compounded into a bad round.  I think I lost 5-6 balls, which is an abnormality for me. 

As Zac said, sometimes golf just kicks you in the teeth. 

For me, cart path only, means I'm gonna walk the course with a pull cart or empty the bag as best I can and carry. Keeps me better focused on golf.

I'm gonna walk it anyway, left and right , back and forth to the buggy.

Hate Cart path only. 

• Like 2

On 11/13/2021 at 9:21 PM, JCN said:

Remember, the worst day golfing is better than the best day with the wife in an antique store.

One of the first dates with my (now) wife involved going to an antique store.  I'd replay that day over any round.

Edited by dugue4

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics 722E

5w - Sub 70 949X

4H - Ping G425

4-6i i200s

7-UW i210s

56*, 60* - Sub 70 286

Putter - Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Ball - Vice Pro Zero 

On 11/14/2021 at 12:21 PM, JCN said:

Shake it off bud.  We've all had those days.  I've seen pros shoot +10 more than once.  Some days your the windshield.  Some days your the bug.  

Remember, the worst day golfing is better than the best day with the wife in an antique store.

What if the wife is an antique as well?

1 hour ago, Wormkiller said:

Played with a bloke in my social comp who shot 135 on the weekend. But that's conservative. I was counting his shots on a few holes and he took at least 4 shots off.

I'm all of one for keeping an honest score but if somebody is shooting 135, feel free to take a few shots here and there.. Honestly work that bad boy down to 115

This summer when my buddy who works at Bandon got us a weekend of employee tee times, I was keeping score and let's just say he shot a generous 109.5 and I'd do it again in a heartbeat 😆

Edited by rooski

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

42 minutes ago, rooski said:

I'm all of one for keeping an honest score but if somebody is shooting 135, feel free to take a few shots here and there.. Honestly work that bad boy down to 115

This summer when my buddy who works at Bandon got us a weekend of employee tee times, I was keeping score and let's just say he shot a generous 109.5 and I'd do it again in a heartbeat 😆

Yeah, to be honest I wanted to see him enjoy himself - most holes he just gave an 'approximate' for his score. But, playing off a 36 handicap, his net score still ended up getting him about 3rd last on the day. While it has no influence on prizes, in the context of the overall championship it bumped some contenders (who had a bad day) down the standings - you get points no matter where you finish in our league.

Edited by Wormkiller

Sounds like a good thread for my game lately.  Don't know what's happened...is it the cooler weather?  Is it I'm not playing enough because can't squeeze in playing time after work mon-friday since its getting dark earlier/time change?...is it the Bermuda grass going dormant and not lush anymore?  But the last 2-3 weeks has been hard on my ego.  I've been playing both blue (14 HC) and white (10 HC; shorter) tees.  It started a couple of weeks ago, shot 86 from the blues on saturday (Saturdays I play golf with my wife; Sundays with the guys), felt like everything was going well...driving, irons, putting is a lock (best part of my game) and looked forward to next day/sunday with the guys from white tees....and shot a gut-wrenching 96!! Just in August, I recorded 79/80 in 2-day competition from the white tees during an MGA (that sticks to my HC for 1 year?).  So aggravated that I play again next Saturday with my wife and again, she beats me by 10 strokes (gross), so I skip my round with the guys on Sunday and go to the range for 1.5 hours with the expectation that I'd play 9 holes afterwards.  Man it was so bad, I get home and my wife said "you're early?" and I said it got so bad on the range, I skipped the 9 holes.  My driving is so bad all of a sudden, what the heck????

Edited by bulls9999

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

This time of year I know I'm going to shoot worse scores. It is what it is. Cooler temps make it harder for my back to stay loose, even when walking. Plus I have a lot less range time since a lot of places are mats only at this point and my elbows don't get along with them. I just sort of accept it, and I'm happy that I'm out there still playing golf at this point in the season.