Is Getting Fitted a Waste for Those Who Tinker?

dwb7272

Looking for input. I have played golf decently for over 40 years. Laid off awhile but with practice can get to single digit hc. I work on my own clubs and like to tinker and always changing clubs.

I have never been fitted but have an idea on what works best for me. Would going through a professional fitting be a waste of time as if I get fitted irons, most likely would still want to tinker.

Or would at least knowing what works best be beneficial for future? I'm over 60 and swing speed not what it was, so regular flex shafts are in my future. Thinking about going to PXG to at least get fitted.

Thanks for any input and help. 

I'm 66 and recently went to regular shafts and it's great!  I also like to tinker, not so much with my clubs but with my swing.  I'm a high single digit cap and change my swing about every 2 to 3 weeks just for fun.  I've been playing golf for about 12 years.  I was fitted at Ping about 11 years ago.  I've not changed the fit numbers since then.  When I was fitted it was more of a "your fit numbers are between here and here. Anything in there is fine".  

I think it depends on what you mean when you say "tinker".

If you're constantly messing with the lofts, lie angles, lengths, and etc. then yes I think it would be a big waste of time. 

However, if by tinker you just mean that you try different clubs then a fitting isn't the worst idea. At least you'll have a good idea as to what is best for you in terms of shaft flex, lie angle, and those things. You could still experiment with different clubs at that point as long as you remain consistent with the specs that work for you. 

Edited by Abh159
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, dwb7272 said:

Looking for input. I have played golf decently for over 40 years. Laid off awhile but with practice can get to single digit hc. I work on my own clubs and like to tinker and always changing clubs.

I have never been fitted but have an idea on what works best for me. Would going through a professional fitting be a waste of time as if I get fitted irons, most likely would still want to tinker.

Or would at least knowing what works best be beneficial for future? I'm over 60 and swing speed not what it was, so regular flex shafts are in my future. Thinking about going to PXG to at least get fitted.

When you say fitting keep in mind that's a very broad term that encompasses a lot of services.

Callaway - Epic Subzero 9* Oban Kiyoshi White 68g 04

TEE - CB Pro Limited 16.5*  Oban Kiyoshi White 74g 04

TEE - CB Pro U 19* Paderson KINETIXX TS Hybrid 80

Miura - Baby Blades 4 - PW KBS Tour Black 120s

Vokey - SM7 52* 56* 60* KBS Tour Black 120s

Ping - PLD Prime Tyne 35"

Grips- Iomic Sticky 2.3 .60

I think there is value in having your swing looked at and have things like shaft length and flex along with lie angle adjusted.

You could then try all the shafts you want knowing what SHOULD work based on specs.

But shaft length and lie angle should be pretty static.

• Like 1

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Honma XP-1 3 wood 

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade GAPR Lo 19* Hybrid 

Byrdie Golf Designs split cavity 4-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

3 minutes ago, Nixhex524 said:

It depends on who fits you.  I think spending time with a real top notch fitter could be beneficial, but most times, if you already know what works for you and what you like, you won't need it.  I was fit by a Titleist fitter for a driver and it was a decent experience, but I have since found better combinations for me on the course, which is the most important of all.  

Sorry for the long winded post but the short answer is, no.  I do not think a fitting is necessary for someone who knows what they like, knows what works, and likes to tinker/build anyway.  I am pretty much in the "fittings are overrated" camp right now.  If we were on tour and getting the exact fit for each and every club, yes, worth it.  The fittings we get....  are just about sales IMO unfortunately.  

Nix gets at the essential points in this thread. Is it necessary? No, its not necessary and if you get a poor fitting it can be detrimental. You **** away money and get a crappy product. It also has its benefits. It can be beneficial if you've never had a fitting and get a quality fitting. It can be beneficial if you get a really good fitter who can use numbers to optimize what you are already working with and tailor clubs to your swing and the numbers.

I'm a tinkerer as well and really like to curate my equipment personally, so the idea of letting someone else pick out a bunch of clubs for me is antithetical to my nature.

But, I'd say I've learned something from every fitting experience I've had - whether it was done with someone very good, or just some product rep at a demo day. The more you know about your own swing the various equipment that is out there, the better you are able to fit yourself, IMHO.

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

I think the initial fitting helps and creates a baseline for you going forward. As long as you understand what you were fit for and why, you can then go on and tinker on your own because you know what specs you should be using.

Edited by Circaflex
  • Like 3

Mostly PING clubs, with TaylorMade woods.

2 hours ago, Circaflex said:

I think the initial fitting helps and creates a baseline for you going forward. As long as you understand what you were fit for and why, you can then go on and tinker on your own because you know what specs you should be using.

yes basically this. It's always helpful to know what works best for you so you can get as close to that as possible when you purchase something new

I'm a degenerate who basically lives on Callaway PreOwned. But i know what specs fit me

• Like 1

Cobra Radspeed XB 9 w/PX Hzrdus RDX Smoke Black 80

Cobra F9 tour 13 w/PX Hzrdus Smoke Black 70

Titleist TS3 20 w/PX Hzrdus Smoke Black 80

Cobra Forged TEC 4-GW w/Nippon Modus Tour 130

Cobra King MIM Black 56 and 60 w/ Modus Tour 130

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

Blasphemy here, I know, but I have never been fit once and I've played some pretty good golf over my lifetime.

First of all, I have a bit of knowledge on how big box fitters get their gigs, and while it's possible to find a diamond in the rough employee who truly knows what they are doing and are great at it, most are less knowledgeable than the average WRXer.  Case in point, I was in an unnamed big box only a few weeks ago, asked the guy there if they had a Ventus Black in the fitting bay and he asked me what that was.  I just said never mind and kept it moving.  If you found this little corner of the internet, you likely know what you're doing, or at minimum, what you like and what you don't.

As for me personally, my measurements are basically the average American male when it comes to height, weight, etc.  So standard LLL will never be that far off, for me anyway.  If you are tall or short, I can see getting a length and lie recommendation at least once and using that for any future decisions/tinkers.

I think the most bang for your buck in regards to fitting is being able to try different head/shaft combos, but even the couple of times I've done that, I truly felt like I could read the subtle differences in numbers better than the fitter could.  So I guess technically I've had a couple fittings because to get to try stuff out you have to sign up for a 'fitting', but I analyzed everything myself and was more just paying to demo rather than get fit.  All the fitter knew was spin too high/low, try this, launch too high/low, try that.

Now all that being said ... real, true, hard working and knowledgeable fitters I can totally see being worth their weight in gold.  I've just personally never been fortunate enough to go down that road.

• Like 4

TaylorMade R11 TP (8°) - Fujikura Blur TP 65X

Cobra SpeedZone Big Tour (13.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS Black 7X

Cobra SpeedZone Tour (17.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS Black 7X

TaylorMade Rescue 11 TP (16°) - Aldila RIP 85X

Titleist U500 (2) - Fujikura ATMOS Black 95X

Titleist 620CB (3-6) - True Temper DynaGold X100

Titleist 620MB (7-9) - True Temper DynaGold X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 (48.10F, 54.12D, 60.12D) - True Temper DynaGold X100

Taylormade Spider X #3

Titleist ProV1x

6 hours ago, dwb7272 said:

There at good and far from good club fitters out there, so if you are able to do some club making on your own, read my DIY driver tune up, and use that for ALL clubs in the bag. That will help you to make it better than most places you can find. The DIY contains info on tasks only a few club fitters takes care of at all, and its NO advanced tools needed. This DIY is good knowledge no matter what you choose to do, so if you later go for a club fitting, you will already know what should be taken care of in a real club fitting, and if you dont get that, you know you went to the wrong place.

• Like 2

Am currently 63 & have been tinkering with clubs well over 12 years.  Two years ago was my very first fitting.  When I scheduled it, I stated that I had built my own set and my only expectations from the fitting was to see if I was even in the ballpark on the work I had done.  When I went in for the fitting, an employee had called in sick that day so the fitter would occasionally have to help out in the store.  It was an entire bag fitting & due to the store situation it was just under 3 hours for what was to be an hour & a half fitting.  The fitter never had me use any clubs but my own.  It was all done on a simulator (except for the putting).  Even my favorite ball was covered in the fitting.  Every club was used & I believe he had me hit different types of shots with every club.  We did talk a fair amount & majority of it was him asking me about the how's & why's of where I was at with my equipment & the small knowledge I had.  Needless to say I did get some really good tips from him also.

My favorite part of the fitting was the final club, the putter.  I have an old center shaft Odyssey 2-balls putter with a black line down the center.  When I pulled it out he said that he never thought much of center shafted putters.  After he had me hit 3 balls to a specific spot he looked up and told me to never ever get rid of that putter.    I was currently using steel shafts in the irons, so he gave me recommendations of what to use if I went with graphite.  The only other recommendation was to experiment with the bounce on the 2 wedges I use (52 & 58).  When we were done he only charged me half the price.  To me this was just about the best investment I had ever made in golf.  Just the piece of mind to know what I was taught in the beginning & have built upon it from people like Howard Jones, Stuart G, & others on this site was & is invaluable.

That is my take on the question.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

yes basically this. It's always helpful to know what works best for you so you can get as close to that as possible when you purchase something new

I'm a degenerate who basically lives on Callaway PreOwned. But i know what specs fit me

Didn't we introduce you to CPO like last week sometime? Did you ever find a replacement Mavrik head?

or
or

3 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

I believe it was 2-3 weeks ago good sir. And since then i have put their kids through college!

Yes, new Mavrik head, new 3 wood, new hybrid....I can't remember what else. Probably some other stuff in there.

There was a Mav SZ 13.5 3wood with a Aldila Rogue white 130 on there the other day for 130$

Like what am i supposed to do? Not buy that?

Dear god! Time moves fast on WRX.

I do like your style though, mon frer. To hell with half-measures.

And I feel you, there are a ton of great deals and interesting things to be found on CPO. Besides WRX it's another of my time-killers at work. 

or
or

PXG was the best fitting I have ever had and it was on grass, the man was excellent and a ex pro and it showed. He was no BS and told me the truth and proved to me what was best for my swing at that time.

To me getting fit off a mat is next to useless,  but all that being said I still tinker but use most of the specs I learned from the PXG guy. 

Callaway Max LS 10.5 Fuji 2.0 6X

Callaway Speed 4 wood Fuji 2.0 6X

Callaway EPIC flash 7 wood GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX TCB 4-AW Catalyst 100 6.0

Callaway MD5 52 XCaliber RT wedge

Callaway Jaws Full Toe 58 Catalyst 100 6.0

Toulon Las Vegas BGT Stability

I think its absolutely worth getting fit by a great fitter at least once.  You really learn what type of shafts and heads work for you.  You can take that and do what you want with it tinkering wise but I think its absolutely worth it. One thing I will say is that the only thing you need to ever judge your equipment by is "on course" results.  The fitting studio/range will never fully translate to what the equipment does for you when you see water/bunkers/trees. 

Gonna give this one more bump because its a good topic, I'm not anti-tinker but do understand the value of fitting. The whole bag in the signature is built tinkering. I think I did pretty well minus the SW and LW, which were thought out for different conditions. The baby blades are a chore when it comes to ball striking but that's me not the build or club. Woods work pretty dang well, maybe I could pick up some yardage but I don't mind a little extra spin. 

I enjoy the process of self fitting. I have some basic launch monitor numbers so I’m able to narrow down my shaft options. Outdoor testing is so much more valuable than indoor fittings. Plus my swing is ever evolving so what didn’t quite work a few swing changes ago might work wonders with my swing du jour.

Edited by 95124hacker

EFSZ 9* (Ventus Blue VeloCore 6S) / 0811X+ Proto 10.5* (TZ5 Proto 55S) / G400LST 10* (HZRDUS Smoke Black 60-5.5).

0317 Gen1 17* & 0317X Gen2 19* (MMT 80S)

0311 Gen1 4-5 & 0311P Gen2 6-PW (SteelFiber i95S)

RTX4 Raw 52* & 58*, Mid (TI S400); HiToe 64* (HiRev 2.0)
SC Red X2 / WHP 7CS

Tour B any model (normal cond.) / LD V1x (windy cond.)

- Backups: Rogue 2H & 3H; F7 2-3H; 0211; TW-X; IC-601; 716 T-MB; Lucky 777CS; WHP CSM 400g; Sigma G Kinloch C.

My preference is to fit myself.   Folks that tinker enough quickly learn what length/lie/flex works best for their game.  Beyond that it's a matter of personal preference.

• Like 3

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 4 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
Ping Anser - the "real deal!"

12 hours ago, Nessism said:

My preference is to fit myself.   Folks that tinker enough quickly learn what length/lie/flex works best for their game.  Beyond that it's a matter of personal preference.

Somewhat in the same boat myself.  I subscribe to “buy and try” theory.  What works, I keep.  What does not, I sell.

I was fit for irons years ago and still tend to that fitting when buying irons. Shaft flex & weight has changed as I get older.

Same with the driver as I was fit for a driver several times over the years.

If you have never been fitted before I would say as a fellow tinkerer it would be valuable to see what your potential distance and accuracy potential is and go from there. It will also help you hone in what shafts would work best for you given your characteristics. Be prepared to hit alot of balls and wear your golf shoes and ask to use the golf ball you regularly play for the nest results if indoor. I have found sometimes the exact specs they fit me too just don't translate to the course for me personally but it definitely gives me a baseline for what clubhead, loft, and shaft work best for my swing. I have found once I locked in on something that was consistent my tinkering stopped. Still have a few clubs that I rotate in and out and see if they can replace a gamer club but for the most part my bag is dialed and I only swap hybrid or driving iron depending on the course and my swing that day.

There is some really amazing technology and equipment out now and it is alot of fun to try different things. Don't be afraid to speak up during the fitting if you want to try something the fitter doesn't recommend. Discuss ahead of time what you are hoping to achieve from your fitting. 

**WITB as of 10/12/21****

Taylormade SIM 2 - 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6X tipped 1.5" playing at 45" D5 SW Hotmelt added to head

Taylormade SIM 2 MAX - 15* Ventus Blue 7X Tipped 2" playing at 43" D5 SW Bent Flat and hot melted

Taylormade SIM 2 MAX Hybrid - 19* Ventus Blue HB 9X 

Callaway 21' X-Forged UT 18* - Ventus Blue HB 9X / 2* Flat (+1* loft)

Miura TC-201 4-PW $-taper 130X 2* flat

Taylormade MG 3 KBS 610 Wedge 125S+ 50SB/55SB/60HB
Golf Pride Tour Velvet +4 standard + 2 wraps
TaylorMade TP Soto 33.5” with Super Stroke Pistol GTR 2.0 - 

I was fitted for fairway woods this summer and was able to narrow my choice down after hitting 5-10 manufacturers and a couple different shafts. The data on the TSi2 club was just superior in every regard to the other clubs, and I was surprised how much better it actually was. That helped my game tremendously and I purchased more Titleist clubs in that lineup. 

“Fitting” and “tinkering” are not mutually exclusive

it helps to know you should be using 38.5” 2degree upright 5iron -

before you tinker

or that your club head speed with driver is 89mph - to help tinker with lightweight soft stiff - or heavier weight regular

if you know your spec - tinkering becomes more of a science

• Like 1

Ping G710 4-PW

PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*-54*-60*

G400 19* PWR 80
G400 14.5* PWR. 75

G400 10.5 PWR 65
Snell MTB

It can be hard to look at yourself objectively.  It isn't unusual for guys to project what they want to be rather than what they really are.  Which means they will buy a stiffer flex than they should.

How good are you at tinkering?  Are you able to improve your swing?  Or are you lost?  If changes you make don't make sense a fitter may help sort things out.

Edited by ShortGolfer