Where to winter for golf

Daydreaming here but actually am serious about it. Anyone know of a good destination for reasonably warm golf? Reasonable to me is daytime high of 50s to 70s. I would want to find room/home to rent. Dec/Jan/Feb timeframe. Things to do nearby a plus. After deciding on the area, hope to find one with a good practice facility! I am fine with spending for a nice spot but am not the type to go ultra high-end unless they have a winter special! This could be fun; enter the spring season in tune!

I have no idea what you have in mind - like a resort or something? - but I'd honestly suggest Auburn, Alabama.

Golf? Well, you've got RTJ Grand National a few minutes out of town. Moore's Mill and Callaway Gardens (both sites of Q School Qualifying) either in town or 45 minutes away. Plus Farmlinks, one of the unsung jewels of the golf world, slightly less than two hours away.

Other things to do? How about decent live sports viewing pretty much every night? It's the SEC after all. At the time you are talking about you will get basketball and the beginning of baseball season. 

As far as nightlife is concerned, how do you feel about loads of rather attractive college chicks?

Edited by jholz
  • Like 4

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

Florida or Arizona are really the only two "sure things" for temps in the 60-70s and a wide selection of golf options. 

Just keep in mind that you are literally trying to do that same thing that everyone who goes to those states in the winter is trying to do (avoid winter weather). So your selection of housing options will be limited, and you'll probably be paying 2-3X as much for golf during the that time of year compared to the summer.

Edited by Abh159
  • Like 3

Central Florida is where we go. Not as pricey as the coasts but still not cheap. Cold day is usually in the 50's if cloudy and 60's if the sun is out. we're about sixty miles south of Orlando away from the worst traffic. The months you want to be there are prime time but there might be some deals this year if the Canadians are still restricted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jholz said:

I have no idea what you have in mind - like a resort or something? - but I'd honestly suggest Auburn, Alabama.

Golf? Well, you've got RTJ Grand National a few minutes out of town. Moore's Mill and Callaway Gardens (both sites of Q School Qualifying) either in town or 45 minutes away. Plus Farmlinks, one of the unsung jewels of the golf world, slightly less than two hours away.

Other things to do?(southern)  How about decent live sports viewing pretty much every night? It's the SEC after all. At the time you are talking about you will get basketball and the beginning of baseball season. 

As far as nightlife is concerned, how do you feel about loads of rather attractive college chicks?

The only problem with that area is it is similar (but slightly colder) to where I live in climate *average* daily high temps, with theirs being 56-60 degrees. Daily highs in that range are fine but we get stretches of cold weather where it might be in the 20s to 40s for a week or two, or even longer. They probably get even more.

Based on climate daily high temp, alone, I would think it would need to be in CA, AZ, FL or the gulf coast of MS or AL. Southern CA's San Diego fits, average high is 666 for all three of those months. Not sure of expenses there. I took a 2-week trip driving all over CA about six years ago and I was surprised that motels and food were actually not sky high.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, playit said:

The only problem with that area is it is similar (but slightly colder) to where I live in climate *average* daily high temps, with theirs being 56-60 degrees. Daily highs in that range are fine but we get stretches of cold weather where it might be in the 20s to 40s for a week or two, or even longer. They probably get even more.

Based on climate daily high temp, alone, I would think it would need to be in CA, AZ, FL or the gulf coast of MS or AL. Southern CA's San Diego fits, average high is 666 for all three of those months. Not sure of expenses there. I took a 2-week trip driving all over CA about six years ago and I was surprised that motels and food were actually not sky high.

All I can do is ridicule you for your temperature requirements - which I will do, liberally. Mind you, I grew up in Colorado, so Alabama might as well be Bermuda, as far as climate is concerned. 

So yeah, to your point, you get some daily highs in the 40's and it might get below freezing at night one or two nights out of the year. I lived there for ten years and saw snow once. Buy a windshirt, you'll get over it. 

My experience with the traditional locations, those that feature 60-70 degree temps in the winter, is that you are going to pay way too much, have to deal with way too many idiots, and unless you are willing to lay out big dollars, the golf is going to be sub par. This is mainly about Florida - but AZ and So-Cal aren't much different. 

Man up and get off the beaten path a bit. 

Edited by jholz
  • Like 3

or
or

Greater San Antonio/Hill country area of Texas is awesome in the winter with plenty of great course options.

• Like 1

Cobra SZ 10.5 Ventus Blue 5s
Cobra Radspeed 15.5 Motore X F3 6s
Cobra SZ 18.5 Tensei Blue 65s

Cobra SZ 21.5 Atmos Blue 7s
Cobra Forged Tec X 5-G Recoil 95 F3

Cleveland CBX Zipcore   54/12   58/10
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless NP2

6 hours ago, jholz said:

All I can do is ridicule you for your temperature requirements - which I will do, liberally. Mind you, I grew up in Colorado, so Alabama might as well be Bermuda, as far as climate is concerned. 

So yeah, to your point, you get some daily highs in the 40's and it might get below freezing at night one or two nights out of the year. I lived there for ten years and saw snow once. Buy a windshirt, you'll get over it. 

My experience with the traditional locations, those that feature 60-70 degree temps in the winter, is that you are going to pay way too much, have to deal with way too many idiots, and unless you are willing to lay out big dollars, the golf is going to be sub par. This is mainly about Florida - but AZ and So-Cal aren't much different. 

Man up and get off the beaten path a bit. 

lol, aren't you the tough guy! I've played winter golf and found that if the day's high is below 50 degrees, I don't enjoy it. Why would I want to do something I don't enjoy? I won't.

Some good feedback about the snowbirds and crappy golfers. Yep. Another idea... we used to have a guy come down from a northern state during the winter and played at our country club. I don't recall how he found out about our club, there wasn't anything special about it. Somehow, they gave him some kind of 'winter membership' and he could play, even though it was private. With a deal like that, you are around capable golfers. We had a good bunch of low handicappers and he was that.

Appreciate the comments.

I'm fortunate that my business partner has a house in Puerto Rico. Love the people. Great weather. (Great food too.) Great golf - a bit expensive, but probably no more than Florida winter prices. As with Florida and elsewhere on the US southeast coast, staying and playing right on the water is more expensive than inland. I think there might be decent low cost housing there. I've never looked, but a bunch of people left after hurricane Maria, and some just never returned. 

As far as other sports? Well, they finally outlawed cockfighting last year (seriously, cockfighting was a thing), but there are still underground places. (Hahahahahaha, just kidding. Sort of.)

PS. Don't know if it matters, but PR  has the second or third lowest Covid infection rate in the country. 

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

10 hours ago, playit said:

I agree on CA. I’m in the SF Bay Area and think we have some of the best weather in the world. Play year round, tons of courses, low humidity, micro-climates. I’m 30 miles from SF. It can be 95° In July (I know you are asking about Winter) where I live and I can drive 20min towards SF and it’s 65°. It’s like the best of all worlds. If you are here playing golf in the Winter and also like to snowboard/ski, Tahoe is only a 3 hour drive away. Also wine country (Napa) is less than an hour and Monterey and Carmel are about an hour and a half away. You can pack a lot of entertainment into a week or two. Chart below with average temps. by month.

885E31E0-E106-4CC1-AC86-8370BB7DF250.jpeg

Edited by TiScape

On 9/22/2021 at 1:00 PM, jholz said:

Other things to do? How about decent live sports viewing pretty much every night? It's the SEC after all. At the time you are talking about you will get basketball and the beginning of baseball season. 

Yep.  I play RTJ Grand National and Callaway all the time.  Both have two courses and both have hosted PGA Tour events (Barbasol Open and Buick Challenge, respectively).  Plus you can go over to the RTJ courses in Montgomery/Pratville...not too far from Auburn.  Three great courses over there.  Grand National is staffed with Auburn coeds in the clubhouse and on the course (drink carts).  Very nice.

Where is Farmlinks?  Haven't heard of that one.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

17 minutes ago, Mustard_Tiger said:

I would rather be murdered and set on fire while celebrating my birthday than to ever live in California again.

Wait.  Set on fire AFTER you've been murdered or before?  I'd probably go with the after.  Less painful.

On 9/22/2021 at 1:53 PM, GG194 said:

Central Florida is where we go. Not as pricey as the coasts but still not cheap. Cold day is usually in the 50's if cloudy and 60's if the sun is out. we're about sixty miles south of Orlando away from the worst traffic. The months you want to be there are prime time but there might be some deals this year if the Canadians are still restricted.

Now I heard that they are going to let vaccinated tourists visit the states in November=== With that being said I am not sure what the Canadian government is going to let them do--- I do know for the 2nd year in a row I have not seen any Canadian tags in the Grand Strand area of SC

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

2 hours ago, Mustard_Tiger said:

Of course this would happen in California.

Love Ken, he’s my local news guy (Small world). That was a classic prank. The original Ron Burgundy! 🤣

On wow, the replay of the 11 o’clock news is on now. There he is!! Haha 😄

BBB401F2-F560-49F6-8CE2-59260C48E2D1.jpeg

Edited by TiScape
  • Like 1

On 9/23/2021 at 7:22 PM, Mustard_Tiger said:

I would rather be murdered and set on fire while celebrating my birthday than to ever live in California again.

Same, my man. Same.

I felt dirty having a layover at SFO on my way to Bandon this week.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

Depends on how much you want to pay for rent.  

For more affordable rent, I would recommend the Melbourne, FL area.  You can rent a fairly affordable place there and get a range membership at Duran Golf Club for something like $300 for the winter.  And the range is lighted (doesn't close until 8:30pm).

The golf courses aren't exactly great over that way, but there are plenty of public options.  I think a private club like Suntree or Rockledge offers a winter membership.  Or you could travel into Orlando and get a winter membership at a private club like Orange Tree, if you don't mind putting the miles on your car. 

And Orlando has plenty of places to live as well.  A little more expensive to rent, but more golf options without the large drives.

There's other parts of the state like that as well.  The Palm Beach area probably has more living and golf options, but it comes at a higher expense.  These days, Palm Beach is where the mini tour players/hopeful Tour players live during the winter.  But you can get similar deals near the Sarasota area, too.  

Daytime highs are usually in the mid-70's with lows about 55-60*.  You'll get the occasional low temperature below 40, but in a few days it will get back to 'normal.'

I'm not sure, but i think some of the private clubs in Myrtle Beach offer a seasonal memberships.  Or they have public options that offer seasonal memberships.  Find a place to live probably wouldn't be too bad since it's dead in December and January.  getting the February rent may be a different story.

When I lived in Myrtle, the lowest it would get was around freezing.  I'd say that the highs were usually in the 50's to 70's range, the main problem was the wind which could make it super cold.

If I wanted more security in terms of playing golf in reasonably nice weather, I would pick Florida from January-February.  But if you want more golf options and likely more fun, Myrtle would be my choice.

RH

I forgot to mention Ocala, FL.  Some really good options for golf there and I would imagine the cost to rent a place would be cheap.  If you can get a season membership at Juliette Falls...do so immediately.  Fabulous golf course.

RH

I could have been fine from the Carolinas to Florida to Texas to Arizona.  Each has it's own pluses and minuses.  How they fit with your lifestyle and wants is another matter entirely.  AirBnB/VRBO gave us the chance to spend time in each before making a decision.  Lots and lots to think about other than raw climate data.  Housing prices, private/public play availability and pricing, restaurants, entertainment, recreation, ocean or dessert, crime rates, tax rates, healthcare, congestion,....

Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

Arizona fits the bill too, of course.

If you want big city amenities, then somewhere in the Phoenix area.

If you like it a bit different, then Tucson.  I would say normal everyday golf courses are cheaper in Tucson than Phoenix.

Both of those areas offer some great hiking.

We wintered in Casa Grande for four years.  Mission Royale has been re-doing its course to bring it back from nearly dead.  It's a fun layout.  The town is agricultural and lower working class, sort of dust bowl.  If you are 55+, Mission Royale is a friendly, enjoyable community.  There is also a well cared for course nearby at Robson Ranch.  The other two courses in town are usually rough.

Edited by Snowman9000

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

Costal CA will be fine, obviously warmer in SoCal. NorCal will have a bit more rain and some mornings with frost delay, but overall it's not bad golf. Courses on the coast (e.g., Pebble) are better to play in winter because of less wind, and locals can actually get tee times without being extorted for hotel rooms and such.

• Like 2

On 9/23/2021 at 10:18 PM, ShowMe said:

Yep.  I play RTJ Grand National and Callaway all the time.  Both have two courses and both have hosted PGA Tour events (Barbasol Open and Buick Challenge, respectively).  Plus you can go over to the RTJ courses in Montgomery/Pratville...not too far from Auburn.  Three great courses over there.  Grand National is staffed with Auburn coeds in the clubhouse and on the course (drink carts).  Very nice.

Where is Farmlinks?  Haven't heard of that one.

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. You don't know of Farmlinks? You are missing out.

It's up in Sylacauga. You should get up and play it sometime. Well worth the drive.

or
or

4 hours ago, jholz said:

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. You don't know of Farmlinks? You are missing out.

It's up in Sylacauga. You should get up and play it sometime. Well worth the drive.

Yeah, I looked it up after posting.  It would be a bit of a drive for me (live in GA), but it looks like a great course.