2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Cantley gives brilliant answer about recent European Ryder Cup “dominance”

josh21120

So, I've read a few gin books. Let's see if I get it right. If you play enough gin hands, a 1- or 2-percent difference in skill translates to almost an assured win over many, many, many hands of gin.

"But you could have a big difference between somebody, maybe a 60- to 40-percent skill level difference, and gin is still chancy enough to where you could play 10 hands and lose six or seven of the hands than someone that's much worse than you skill-wise.

"Really there's only two – these matches are only played every two years, and golf is very chancy. 

Think the talking heads were disappointed. But it won’t shut down all their endless talk of superior team work by the Europeans, haha…

I used to have these friendly wagers with a golf buddy.  We'd bet on sports and I let him choose first every single time.  Didn't matter the spread, who was playing etc.   We always played even money screw the odds and spreads.   Some examples were Tiger vs Rory head to head, Yankess vs Tigers in the playoffs, NFL playoff games, etc.  I just let him choose the team/person he wanted.  He picked wrong 11 times in a row.   Stuff happens.  How does Brady go undefeated the whole season and the playoffs to then lose to Eli and the Giants that magical year?  Stuff happens.  Stuff sure seems to happen a lot at the Ryder cup the last 25 year or so.

Ping G400 MAX 9 Kuro Kage Tini 60x

Titleist TSI2 18 Tensei White Stiff

Titleist 818 21 KBS PROTO Stiff
Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Senita 38 Putter

36 minutes ago, mosesgolf said:

I used to have these friendly wagers with a golf buddy.  We'd bet on sports and I let him choose first every single time.  Didn't matter the spread, who was playing etc.   We always played even money screw the odds and spreads.   Some examples were Tiger vs Rory head to head, Yankess vs Tigers in the playoffs, NFL playoff games, etc.  I just let him choose the team/person he wanted.  He picked wrong 11 times in a row.   Stuff happens.  How does Brady go undefeated the whole season and the playoffs to then lose to Eli and the Giants that magical year?  Stuff happens.  Stuff sure seems to happen a lot at the Ryder cup the last 25 year or so.

Yankees vs. Tigers?  That's not a real rivalry.  Yankees vs. Red Sox.  Now THAT'S a real rivalry.

• Like 2

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

Perhaps he should have gone for the Bombay Sapphire instead. 

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

1 hour ago, josh21120 said:

So, I've read a few gin books. Let's see if I get it right. If you play enough gin hands, a 1- or 2-percent difference in skill translates to almost an assured win over many, many, many hands of gin.

"But you could have a big difference between somebody, maybe a 60- to 40-percent skill level difference, and gin is still chancy enough to where you could play 10 hands and lose six or seven of the hands than someone that's much worse than you skill-wise.

"Really there's only two – these matches are only played every two years, and golf is very chancy. 

So the Europeans have won 9 of the last 12 Ryder Cups, are they 1-2% better or 40-60% luckier? 

Edited by KennyP
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Cantlay may be right from stat point of view but when you look at the matches that are decided on 18 for the US in Solheim and Ryder Cups the US does not win their share.  That is more than randomness. Again and again the US relies on players based on how they play stroke play events.  Europe relies on guys who can win MATCH PLAY matches.  They are different things - just ask MONTY and POULTER.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, josh21120 said:

Think the talking heads were disappointed. But it won’t shut down all their endless talk of superior team work by the Europeans, haha…

So if the US plays many, many matches against the Euro's, they might finally win one?

• Haha 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

30 minutes ago, munichop said:

Cantlay may be right from stat point of view but when you look at the matches that are decided on 18 for the US in Solheim and Ryder Cups the US does not win their share.  That is more than randomness. Again and again the US relies on players based on how they play stroke play events.  Europe relies on guys who can win MATCH PLAY matches.  They are different things - just ask MONTY and POULTER.

Actually, both teams are picked the same way - based on their respective stroke play rankings. It would be interesting to pick a team based only on match play performance, but that doesn’t come into play. Maybe as tiebreakers on picks. Anyway, It always comes down to putting, right? I think the Europeans have been smart to play up the perception of being the underdogs at every cup. It’s a great motivator, and pressure reliever.

Glad to have a younger US squad with less “scar tissue” this time!

Saying we've lost a lot recently basically due to luck/randomness is a brilliant answer?  Seems sorta lame to me.  That's one long stretch of bad luck over a not small sample size at this point.  And, I guess if we win this year then it was primarily because the luck was on our side?

Edited by chigolfer1

3 hours ago, josh21120 said:

Do the Euros win because of superior team work or do they have superior team work because they won?  

33 minutes ago, chigolfer1 said:

Saying we've lost a lot recently basically due to luck/randomness is a brilliant answer?  Seems sorta lame to me.  That's one long stretch of bad luck over a not small sample size at this point.  And, I guess if we win this year then it was primarily because the luck was on our side?

Well, it you go back far enough, the US is 26-14-2 overall, maybe the “long view” Cantley refers to, haha…  In the end, Individual players have to make, or not make, putts. Not teams. I think the Euros just successfully exploit their underdog status in recent events. Relieves the pressure of expectations that the US is saddled with.

• Like 1

Perhaps he's been drinking what he's been reading.....the-book-of-gin.jpg

Hope he cleaned his tub.

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

I think the Euro's just are more chill about, they have more fun with it. They probably are somewhat more use to it too. Look at World Cup, look at the rivalries in their Football, they get the play for your people thing. They're more baptized in that than USA's stars. We have "pursuit of happiness" in our founding documents, which really can mean, 'do your thing, for you and you only'. How many Pro sport athletes stateside really give a crap about the city they play for? A few, maybe. Culturally the advantage is theirs, no?

• Like 1

He's wrong. Gin introduces a randomness that golf doesn't because cards are shuffled and dealt.

Randomness isn't the same as variance.

Factors like wind and weather and other small variable issues will certainly play out, but it's more akin to chess than it is to gin.

Gin is cards and cards are random. Chess is definitely not random, although it is variable due to styles of play and openings and who gets white or black, etc.

So although he gave some great recent interviews, this isn't one of them.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, josh21120 said:

Arrogant? Check. 

Over-confident in his match play ability in a RC environment?  Check. 

Passive-aggressive hostility towards the according-to-the-experts obviously inferior Team Euro?  Check. 

He'll fit in nicely in the US team room.  

• Haha 3