Matching shafts in Fairway Woods and Driver

The Full Monte

Was fitted in to a TSi2 w/ a Stiff 75g Tensei White (not Pro) this summer and it has been a MONTSTER for me.  Been absolutely blown away at how many of the big misses it's eliminated.  Couldn't be happier.

Being so thrilled with the TSi2, I snagged a 5 wood this week.  Came with a 70g HZRDUS Smoke RDX shaft in it, that I knew was too light when I bought it, but couldn't pass up a great deal.  

So looking at new shaft for it, I'm wondering if I just go ahead and find a Tensei White for this thing too; which seems to be much harder to come by in the 80-90 gram range.  Or do I just put the heavier version of the HZRDUS RDX in this thing?  First round with it yesterday, I hit a couple shots that were WAY longer than I was expecting out of a 5 wood.  WAY longer.  But also had one BIG miss that reminded me of my old driver set-up prior to the TSi2.

How common is it to match shafts between all the woods ?

17 hours ago, The Full Monte said:

Was fitted in to a TSi2 w/ a Stiff 75g Tensei White (not Pro) this summer and it has been a MONTSTER for me.  Been absolutely blown away at how many of the big misses it's eliminated.  Couldn't be happier.

Being so thrilled with the TSi2, I snagged a 5 wood this week.  Came with a 70g HZRDUS Smoke RDX shaft in it, that I knew was too light when I bought it, but couldn't pass up a great deal.  

So looking at new shaft for it, I'm wondering if I just go ahead and find a Tensei White for this thing too; which seems to be much harder to come by in the 80-90 gram range.  Or do I just put the heavier version of the HZRDUS RDX in this thing?  First round with it yesterday, I hit a couple shots that were WAY longer than I was expecting out of a 5 wood.  WAY longer.  But also had one BIG miss that reminded me of my old driver set-up prior to the TSi2.

It's not common to match shafts between drivers & fwy woods. That's not to say it doesn't happen on occasion... but they're very different clubs! I'd say that matching shafts is more of the exception as opposed to the rule. Think about it, your driver is the one club in your bag that you're suppose to hit up on AND are always hitting off a tee. Conversely, your 5wd, like all the other non-driver clubs in your bag, you're supposed to be hitting down on AND likely hitting off the deck as often (or more) as you hit it off the tee. These different use cases typically necessitate different shaft profiles. 

That said, if you're playing a 75g shaft in your driver, I would agree that a 70g shaft in your fwy wd is likely far too light. Given the shorter playing length, you typically need to start with a heavier profile such that when you cut it down to length its not significantly lighter than your driver shaft. 

1 minute ago, The Full Monte said:

So the Tensei was a perfect fit in the driver because of the stiffer butt section from what I understand.

with the difference of dynamics between the D and 5W….what type of shaft should I be looking for?  

The different dynamics (if there really is any difference) is swing dependent.  Everyone is different.  There are no generalizations or fitting "rules" that will be helpful - other than the one golden fitting rule: "test everything you can get your hands on to see what works best".

Unfortunately, when it comes to fitting and picking a shaft, there are no helpful shortcuts that can be used instead.

• Like 3

I have two sets of woods with matching shafts: Diamana Kai'Li (Gen 2 Blueboard) in my Mizuno ST180 (70S)/JPX850 (80S) and Aldila RIP Betas in my TEE driver (70S) and FWs (80S). Both sets work great. I also have Aldila RIP Beta 80 S in most of my other FWs matched with drivers with completely different shafts which also work great. SO, if the shafts and weighting are right for you, they will all work.

For your 5w, I would have the weighting matched to your driver before changing anything.

BT

• Like 1

Cobra LTD Pro 10.5° HZRDUS Blk 75 6.0 @ 44.5"
Cobra LTD Black 14.5° Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43"
Cobra F6 16.5° Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5"
Mizuno MP25 4-PW Mamiya Recoil Proto 125 F4
Mizuno MP-T5 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Master Perforated Midsize

Oddysey Stroke Lab V-Line Blk 33.5"

46 minutes ago, The Full Monte said:

So the Tensei was a perfect fit in the driver because of the stiffer butt section from what I understand.

with the difference of dynamics between the D and 5W….what type of shaft should I be looking for?  

If you like the "feel" of the tensei white in your driver, a natural shaft to try would be the corresponding blue profile. Across Mitsubishi's matrix, the blue profiles are designed to be slightly higher launching/spinning relative to the corresponding white profiles (which is typically achieved by having relatively softer mid- & tip-sections). Again, no promise that your swing dynamics will produce Mitsubishi's desired outcome. More importantly in your case, I don't believe mitsubishi offers a Tensei blue (non-pro) 85stiff... 

I'll echo what @Stuart_G said; "test everything you can get your hands on to see what works best" because absent one of us having you in our respective fitting studios, we have no idea how you'll react to any given shaft.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Full Monte said:

I’ve been to roughly 5-6 shops at this point and none of them have had the right shaft for me to test out with it.  I was at the point of being willing to just buy one to be able to try/test…and even those seem to be difficult to come by.

Most shops won’t carry fairway shafts in the 80g+ category because 55-60g driver, 70g fairway is most common. Will have to go to a fitter or source a heavier shafts on eBay to test. 

• Like 1

Epic Max LS 9*, GD AD DI 6x | Radspeed 3W 15.5* GD AD-IZ 7s | Titleist TSi2 7W 20.25* RDX Black 80g 6.0

TS2 23* Tensei Blue AV 70HY | AP2 714 5-PW, DG S300 | SM8 50.08F, 56.12D, 60.10S

Odyssey Ten Srixon ZStar 

On 9/23/2021 at 10:53 PM, The Full Monte said:

You are now into a area where shaft weight becomes "problematic" (hardly no place to test them), so i suggest you try off by adding lead tape to the shaft of the new 5W, until you have found what works the best. 

Find the approximate "middle" of the shafts. Most shafts has its balance point plus minus that.
Then measure up the needed (wanted) amount of lead tape to get up to the shaft weight you think is right (the options you see), and add that lead tape in head to grip direction, with the middle of the lead tape at the middle of the shaft (or the BP of the shaft). Add it on the underside so you dont see it from address. This way we can "simulate" a higher shaft weight, and dial in whats right for us, so we dont go all wrong by guess works.

• Like 2

The same shaft for all is common with ladies woods.  

A  45g Evenflow shaft wasn't working in my driver, so I swapped it out for a 40 g Diamana, the same shaft as my GBB 7 wood.

After three weeks of practicing with a net and foam balls I finally headed out to the range to hit some hard golf balls.  

Finally got my Callaway Epic  Flash dialed in with a draw setting and a some draw bias with the sliding weight.  I hit a fade.

Today I got a new driver shaft.  A 40 g Helium black, which is the same as in my Mavrik Max Lite 5 iron and Mavrik Max 11 wood!

Of course I swapped in the new shaft. Took three months of practice but I can now swing a 44.5 inch driver.

Edited by ShortGolfer