Ping G's are still a cheat code

MtlJeff

Fully believe you are right but depends on speeds I guess. I hit a bunch of irons today including the Blueprints which I loved and my buddy gave me a Titleist T400 with my own extra stiff shaft and though I could still launch the 7i the same and hit is as high at 26 degrees or whatever it was I was carrying it 210 on the nose. Yeah it's forgiving and I can get that carry every time but I'm then forced into 5-6 degree short iron gaps and tech that boost the flight way up when I want to hit it low etc. When I'm slowing down and getting older you'd better believe I'll be playing Ping Gs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

Fully believe you are right but depends on speeds I guess. I hit a bunch of irons today including the Blueprints which I loved and my buddy gave me a Titleist T400 with my own extra stiff shaft and though I could still launch the 7i the same and hit is as high at 26 degrees or whatever it was I was carrying it 210 on the nose. Yeah it's forgiving and I can get that carry every time but I'm then forced into 5-6 degree short iron gaps and tech that boost the flight way up when I want to hit it low etc. When I'm slowing down and getting older you'd better believe I'll be playing Ping Gs. 

I'm not a super high swing speed player , but probably around 107-108 with driver right now. I play a heavy low launch shaft in them (DG's) and it is a very high flight but not too spinny so it works for me

I'm pretty good at keeping the ball low when i need to. I don't recall having a shot where i had to keep it under something, and thought i could do this with my Cobras but not the Pings. Maybe those shots just come up less.

I still really like my Cobras, i just felt there were no real advantages to using them other than looks and feel

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Try the PXG XP . You get better looking clubs with great feel and easy hitting as all GIs, maybe easier .

• Like 4

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

29 minutes ago, NoTalentLefty said:

Try the PXG XP . You get better looking clubs with great feel and easy hitting as all GIs, maybe easier .

I'd like to try PXGs actually, i'm going to try and go into next season with the G's again and see how it goes.

Maybe midway through next season i'll order some

I'm open to trying new stuff, i just can't believe how much more forgiving these have been than even other forgiving clubs

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

50 minutes ago, NoTalentLefty said:

Not a fan of the lofts, too strong.  Ping G lofts are better in my opinion.

• Like 2

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Notable thing about the Ping G irons, they seem to be the last "modern" GI/SGI iron from them with a low-ish center of gravity. Every iron since from Ping, especially the latest G425 irons, have quite a high CG. 

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

The Gs are great and I'm a fan of their many positive attributes, but I'm smitten with my Eye2s and ISis right now.  They're just as reliable and forgiving with a touch of playability added into the mix...

• Like 3

Driver PING G SF Tec

Wood PING G (18.5*)

Irons PING G30 (6-SW)

Putter PING DS72 2021 (35")

Bag Jones Classic Stand

Cart Clicgear 3.5+

Gotta love shovels.  I hit a lot of stuff and yet, the X2 Hots aren't going anywhere (sorry, not a Ping guy).  Every time I think about the next shinny set of irons and hit them, I can't see them kicking out the X2's.  Not as low a hcp as MtlJeff (3.9), but I'd hate to think where I would be hitting some pretty blades to impress the "players."

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

I prefer the G710 to the PXG gen 2 XP, or any other iron out there. Finally got mine today and played nine with it, and am so pleased. I should have bought this when they came out. I played the G700 before and it is good, but not as good as the G710. The newer ones have the smoke shaft and it looks great with the black heads. Mine are plus 1/2" longer and Power Specs as well. Got them in two weeks. 

• Like 1

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

Recently tried some XL Halo irons. If the Gs are cheat codes, the Halos are like having DeepMind play the game for you. Stoopid-easy to hit. Haven't got a round with them yet, but if the range is any indication there will be less cursing on the course...

Edited by nostatic
  • Like 1

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

3 hours ago, NoTalentLefty said:

Sure, but at double the cost.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

5 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

I have used a lot of irons over the years, perhaps none more passionately than my G15's some time ago. After that i went away from them a bit, played Mizuno forged JPX's a few years, then Apex Pros....Before finally ordering G410's again (and playing those a season before ordering Forged TECs)

So yea, i like buying stuff.

This is the first year i've LEGIT played Ping G's and another set concurrently, swapping them out constantly. I've played 30+ rounds each with the G's and the Forged TECs this year. The thing is--The Forged TECs are actually really forgiving! And they are much better looking and feeling clubs. That being said, i am once again moving full time into Ping G land. I just can't resist it. They are just too much easier to play.

This isn't about blades vs cavities or SGIs. No one realistically is debating a blade or a big GI club. This is talking about Ping G's vs run of the mill forgiving clubs. Again, Ping G's are an absolute cheat code, i don't care what your index is

-They launch the ball miles high, and this has value to holding greens. I can probably apex my 4 and 5 iron a good 15-20% higher with the G's than my Forged TECs. There's a 210-220yd par 3 to an elevated, flat small green at my club. 90% of the time i've hit it in reg has been with the Pings, this is not a coincidence.

-They are less "workable" but you can still hit draws and fades. An advantage of this is that your mishits fly straighter. They just really do---And even a low index like a 0.7 has a lot of mishits. Multiple times this year (often after playing the previous day with the Cobra) i have hit like a 5 or 6 iron and been upset, only to have the ball still hold a corner of the green

-I have 9 rounds of 72 or better this year --7 of them were with the Pings. Coincidence? Could be but it's interesting.

they are ugly and they feel like a*s. But Ping G's are amazing. I am back on the wagon people, the Cobras are going in the garage , and the goal is to play the G410s all of next season. If you are on the fence about trying a big hideous club, just do it!

Jeff

I have the G425s and feel the exact same way.  They're so easy to hit that it's almost like cheating.  And I think they look great.  

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

8 hours ago, 14max said:

The Gs are great and I'm a fan of their many positive attributes, but I'm smitten with my Eye2s and ISis right now.  They're just as reliable and forgiving with a touch of playability added into the mix...

Of the same opinion.  Stumbled into a set of green dot (my color) BeNi ISI's a couple years back on the cheap.  Surprised how well they play. Never got on with wide soled irons, felt like I had to manipulate the club head to a certain position to affect a good ball strike.  Not with the ISI's.  And much preferred for close in (>50 yards) chip and pitch.  Weaker lofts, but because I'm making better ball contact, not giving up much in distance.  Not that distance in the absolute matters.  Consistency of distance and dispersion does.  

The OE Z-Z65's were to stout and tip stiff to play effectively.  So reshafted to regular flex, tip soft, similar weight.  And since I play 1" longer than standard, they swing weighted to an ideal D2.  All in for ~$250 including new grips.  

Certain metrics still remain favorable compared to current G series models.  Cautiously observant of VCOG position and how it impacts playability in my hands.  Not bad for a 25 year old design.  Contrary to most, I don't require $1k+ of new and shiny to take out and beat into terra firma.  Play Your Best.  

• Like 3

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

I love ping g irons and have played them many times. Actually like the sound and feel. The offset just kills it for me. Playing hot metals now and have gen 3 XP irons on the way. If ping would make another g iron with i offset that would be fantastic. 

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

6 minutes ago, animalgolfs said:

G30 were the best ...covered all the bases needed

G400 onward they got really light in the hosel, which took away mass....which really messes with my takeway

Mine have a LOT of lead tape on them

I guess that would be a complaint of mine too--They feel very light

• Like 2

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I have to just stress again--Testing these vs something like an Apex Pro or P770 or even P790. Don't bother much with the 7 iron, which is usually the one they give you to hit. It's really hard to tell with a 7 iron.

The biggest difference by a mile for me is with the 4 and 5 irons, and to a lesser degree then 6 iron. I live next to my club now, so at least 10x times i have gone to the range with both iron sets. You notice it right away, the 5 iron for example will go significantly higher with a bit less side to side bend on mishits, even compared to something like a Forged Tec which itself is a forgiving club

After a season of testing i just feel like i have to go back to them.

• Like 1

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

So a couple weeks ago my wife and I got back from a golf trip. And our clubs were a few days behind us being sent via Shipsticks. Anyways, a couple days after I got back my league partner and I had to play in a playoff for our league, so I had to bust out the old irons which just happen to be Ping G2's. 

First off, these things are shovels on a stick, so ugly. And I immediately remembered how much higher launching they are than my Callaway Apex's. So I had to club up a little. But I also noticed how I felt less feedback and vibration from the shot. Especially on one particular shot where I had to punch out. It was one of the best punch shots I've hit all year. 

I still don't want to switch back. But it was fun for a round. 

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

48 minutes ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

Toss up some pictures of these beautiful gamers

There you are!

PXL_20210924_132713522.jpg

• Like 4

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

10 hours ago, ShowMe said:

Sure, but at double the cost.

not now,  gen 3s are $149/club.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist T350 irons
54* & 58* Sub70 JB Wedges
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

1 hour ago, AngryGilmore said:

I game the I210 but still have the G15s and can still launch them.  Earlier this week I finally caved and bought a really nice set of Eye 2s as a "fun" set.

There isn't all that much difference in forgiveness terms between the i210 and G15.  In fact, the MOI of the i210 is very marginally higher.

But...

The CG of the i210 is quite a bit higher.  Depending on how you hit them, it could have significance for you.

Half baked theory...  I wonder if the CG on the i210 is jacked higher to address the "hotspot thing."  It seems that's related to above-the-CG contact, which produces lower spin thanks to vertical gear effect.  Essentially, a flier, without the usual, in the rough, cause.  (Again, it's just a personal theory 😉)

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

12 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

There isn't all that much difference in forgiveness terms between the i210 and G15.  In fact, the MOI of the i210 is very marginally higher.

But...

The CG of the i210 is quite a bit higher.  Depending on how you hit them, it could have significance for you.

Half baked theory...  I wonder if the CG on the i210 is jacked higher to address the "hotspot thing."  It seems that's related to above-the-CG contact, which produces lower spin thanks to vertical gear effect.  Essentially, a flier, without the usual, in the rough, cause.  (Again, it's just a personal theory 😉)

Everything on i210 is about high launch & high spin....built around perimeter forgiveness. I doubt they could keep it any lower to maintain launch / spin 

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

I will say though i just wish Ping would offer more shafts....I guess the G's are pretty cheap so you wouldn't expect tons of them. But the Forged TEC were 1399 CAD, and you could get Modus 130s with them

I'd love to try a set of G's like the G425 with Modus 130s. I could hit them even higher without ballooning.

Deschamps Crisp Antique