Tonal, best piece of golf fitness equipment?

PublicEnemy

What did it set you back?

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

1 hour ago, Ri_Redneck said:

What did it set you back?

BT

Website says $3500 plus whatever the membership costs.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I have one too and love it!  @Tasals the arms slide down and rotate so you can pretty much do any exercise and it is great for bench press. @Ri_Redneck I bought it last year and it was $4.5K with all of the accessories and they also charge $50 per month for subscription to workout content. Pricey but it is worth every penny. 

25 minutes ago, Tasals said:

Ive been semi-interest in this. I already have a full gym in the basement already. How does it do with bench press and the like or is it mostly a fly machine replacement?

Good question. That was my exact concern as well since you typically associate a cable machine with movements like flys, tricep pull downs, etc. I’ve found there really isn’t a movement I can’t do on the Tonal, that I don’t prefer to do on the Tonal. I think that’s why I keep loving this machine and keep being so impressed.  The weight is “digital” and and I believe controlled by magnets in the machine, so it feels much different than ur typical cable machine. 

I’m doing traditional bench w/ the bar, alternating single arm bench press w/ handles, physio ball bench press, bosu ball bench press, and more.  Really is amazing.  Bench press is awesome. No more loading/unloading weights either. 

The only movement I’ve found I can max out the Tonal on is deadlift at 200lbs.  Note, the digital weight 200lbs feels like 350lbs with a barbell.  This doesn’t bother me though, as I’ve found plenty of other leg movements to fill the void of going max heavy on DL.  

8 minutes ago, alf05d said:

$4,000?!?!  You have to be totally nuts to waste money on this nonsense.  You will never see a fit person using these gimmicks unless they’re getting paid to.

Curious why you think it’s a gimmick? I’m guessing you must have tried one to make that statement?

My two other friends I’m referencing above that convinced me to pull the trigger are both ex pro athletes as well. One ex NY Yankee and the other a former US Ski team GS and and Super G medalist.  Myself included as a ex pro athlete.  All of us incredibly fit with long history’s and careers living in a weight room with free weights and personal trainers at our fingertips.  We all love it. 

• Like 4

First of all, won’t hold playing for the Red Sox against you.  I have heard good things about Tonal, but my main issue with it and Peloton are the subscription services you basically need to pay for. They really should discount the equipment, because $4000 and $50/month just seems like you will never get your investment back.   Then again maybe if I dropped the $4k I would be more motivated to get my out of shape a** back in shape.

Edited by NJBigFish22

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

1 hour ago, NJBigFish22 said:

First of all, won’t hold playing for the Red Sox against you.  I have heard good things about Tonal, but my main issue with it and Peloton are the subscription services you basically need to pay for. They really should discount the equipment, because $4000 and $50/month just seems like you will never get your investment back.   Then again maybe if I dropped the $4k I would be more motivated to get my out of shape a** back in shape.

If the equipment gets you healthy and i shape, isn't that all you need as far as getting your investment back?  This country has a weird perspective on health, why is investing in your own health a bad thing?  It's much better, and cheaper, than paying potential medical bills that may result by not taking care of yourself.

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

2 hours ago, alf05d said:

$4,000?!?!  You have to be totally nuts to waste money on this nonsense.  You will never see a fit person using these gimmicks unless they’re getting paid to.

Interesting statement, one of the guys I know who makes a living as an athlete, just put one up in house.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

1 hour ago, MountainKing said:

If the equipment gets you healthy and i shape, isn't that all you need as far as getting your investment back?  This country has a weird perspective on health, why is investing in your own health a bad thing?  It's much better, and cheaper, than paying potential medical bills that may result by not taking care of yourself.

Don’t disagree with anything you said, but there are less expensive options. If you join a nice gym for $30 a month, it is still less expensive over time.  Now if Tonal or Peloton gave the equipment as part of the subscription it would be a different conversation.  

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Ball - Srixon Q Star

14 minutes ago, NJBigFish22 said:

Don’t disagree with anything you said, but there are less expensive options. If you join a nice gym for $30 a month, it is still less expensive over time.  Now if Tonal or Peloton gave the equipment as part of the subscription it would be a different conversation.  

Why worry how others are spending their money? Unless somehow it's your money we're spending.  Maybe you need something less expensive,  and that's fine.    We're all in different income brackets and have varying views and what might be expensive.    I've put a gym in my basement, which includes a peloton.  It's much easier going downstairs to get my workouts in, not having to drive to a gym or deal with others in the gym.

Edited by MountainKing
  • Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

I took one of my spare bedrooms and made a gym. Couple machines, various balls, weights, bands, yoga mat, etc. Total cost was probably less than $2K (got the machines used from a buddy that was closing his commercial gym). Actually doesn't take very much to put together a workout space. 

I have friends that swear by things like Peleton (Tonal looks like it is similar w/ its membership model), gym memberships & etc. I've simply never felt the need for a monthly membership, nor for someone on a screen to get me pumped up. I get how others might dig it though. To each his own.

PS. Totally busted out laughing when I found out the guy with a screen name of "PublicEnemy" worked for the Red Sox for a couple of decades. My friends in NYC would probably say "well what the hell else would he be called?" ... 🤣

20210924_173457.jpg

20210924_173511.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

23 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

Why worry how others are spending their money? Unless somehow it's your money we're spending.  Maybe you need something less expensive,  and that's fine.    We're all in different income brackets and have varying views and what might be expensive.    I've put a gym in my basement, which includes a peloton.  It's much easier going downstairs to get my workouts in, not having to drive to a gym or deal with others in the gym.

I don’t care how people spend their money, and never suggested the OP was crazy for buying a Tonal.  My point was the subscription services and equipment aren’t a great value when you have other options.  I have a nice home gym (spin bike, treadmill, weights), and I don’t have to pay $600 a year extra on subscriptions, you may enjoy the extra expense, so be it.  The last thing I will say is I totally agree it is more convenient to stay home and workout, than going to a gym.

• Like 1

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Ball - Srixon Q Star

More power to you if you like that kind of thing, but unless you are space limited, I have to think there are better options.  You can put a power rack up for a whole lot less and get a likely better workout with a barbell.  IMO.

If you're in a small apartment and can't put in a power rack, it appears to be a decent alternative, albeit an expensive one.  

But if that's what floats your boat, have at it.  

More importantly, is that the wahoo kickr on the bike?  How do you like that one?

7 hours ago, PublicEnemy said:

Little background on my game. Until last October, I had spent nearly 20 years away from golf.  After professional baseball career with the Red Sox, I turned hardcore cyclist and father of two. My time in the gym was at an all time low due to COVID, cycling, work, and parenting.  As I got back into golf, I realized my how neglected my overall strength and core had become. I’m back to single digits, but looking for every way to become a better golfer, and stronger /  healthier person again. 

After hearing about Tonal from a few friends, I decided to make the plunge. Overall, I couldn’t be more excited and in love with this thing.  As someone who knows their way around a weight room, I can confidently say, Tonal is an absolute game changer.  Few reasons I love this thing!  

*The quality of the machine excellent. Some serious engineering went into this. 
* Virtually silent.

* Smart handles.  The bar and handles have smart buttons that allow you to turn on/off the weight. You can simply get into position and click a button and turn on the weight.  Complete game changer.  
* Auto weight adjusting. Don’t even think about what weight to use anymore. The initial setup of Tonal runs you through a strength assessment and sets ur default weights. As you get stronger, it knows and increases the weight for you. The machine knows me better than I do. 
* Coaching. These guys (and gals) are really good.  Workouts are awesome.  The yoga, and Pilates workouts on the Tonal are another awesome way to increase mobility and core strength. 
* Wife will like! One of the best things about it is, you don’t need to like working out to like Tonal’ing (verb?). 
* Time.  Let’s be real, wifey already hates how much I play golf.  No more spending time driving to and from a gym.  
* Loading weight.  Yeah, that’s not a thing anymore. 

Feel free to ask me any questions! I’m 6 months in with Tonal and can’t say enough good things. The unit has tremendously helped my over strength and made me excited to get back to how I felt in my “prime”.  

disclaimer - I’m in no way affiliated with Tonal.  Just a happy customer.  

500D6173-54FF-4208-9A86-03DEF31757BA.jpeg.7e2c888fc084d1013aec6dda4c106440.jpeg

Sweet set up. I’ve been going back and forth on a tonal. Currently have treadmill peloton and power blocks seem to be doing the trick 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, NJBigFish22 said:

I don’t care how people spend their money, and never suggested the OP was crazy for buying a Tonal.  My point was the subscription services and equipment aren’t a great value when you have other options.  I have a nice home gym (spin bike, treadmill, weights), and I don’t have to pay $600 a year extra on subscriptions, you may enjoy the extra expense, so be it.  The last thing I will say is I totally agree it is more convenient to stay home and workout, than going to a gym.

Any investment in your health (as long as it's legit) is a great value.  I'd rather pay $600 a year on a subscription than $600 on another back surgery.  Guys on this site will spend thousands a year (or a month for some) on clubs to try and fix their games, nobody seems to jump on there and tell them lessons might be a better investment!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

43 minutes ago, NJBigFish22 said:

+1. I've been mostly working from home for the past couple years. Having a gym at home has meant 1) I didn't need to worry about all the restrictions or Covid stuff; and 2) I don't need to take an hour out of my day to go to the gym. Have found myself doing bits of exercise two or three times a day, between (or sometimes during) conference calls. Easy when I just have to go upstairs.

• Like 1

I think this could be great for people with very little free time.

In my own case I could never afford it but then again have enough free time and have some weights at home. Plus what I have learned from having bad knees and shoulders is that free weights strengthen the joint stabilizing muscles better. However, any type of weigh training is better than none imo especially for older person like myself.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

1 hour ago, MountainKing said:

Any investment in your health (as long as it's legit) is a great value.  

This, 100%

Soul Cycle, OrangeTherory, Crossfit, Yoga, Tonal, Hydrow, Peloton et al... people bash them all the time for price, but if you find something that pulls you in, gets you consistent over a period of time, there's immeasurable value.  The amount of conversations I've heard or had about "x" amount a month being unreasonable for fitness when "X" < daily Starbucks, Guiness, etc. is *maddening.  

*Obviously, as long as its within a reasonable personal budget for your financial well-being.

Edited by OKMrazor
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, OKMrazor said:

This, 100%

Soul Cycle, OrangeTherory, Crossfit, Yoga, Tonal, Hydrow, Peloton et al... people bash them all the time for price, but if you find something that pulls you in, gets you consistent over a period of time, there's immeasurable value.  The amount of conversations I've heard or had about "x" amount a month being unreasonable for fitness when "X" < daily Starbucks, Guiness, etc. is *maddening.  

*Obviously, as long as its within a reasonable personal budget for your financial well-being.

Good grief - hadn't realized how many subscription services there were. And, weirdly, as I am writing this a TV commercial came on advertising that old standard NordicTrack. Even they are doing it now. 

2 minutes ago, bobfoster said:

hadn't realized how many subscription services there were.

That list was a mix of home subscription services and "boutique" (I guess) gym memberships - and just a partial list, at that.

There are so many, though.  But I will say, the quality of content on a lot of these platforms is really impressive these days.  I love rowing and am partial to a "dumbed-down" but tried-and-true indoor rowing machine.  The "computer" data read-out seems ancient and dated, but entirely effective. When a friend bought a rower and subscription service (Hydrow), the price + monthly felt ludicrous to me, but having used it a time or two I really enjoyed it and can see why they committed (and have stuck to) it.  I've got a perfectly good rower, but if they make a few (data) changes I would consider upgrading and paying the monthly.... well, maybe (habits, and my thing already works *FOR ME). But I can see how the Peloton's and Hydrows (et al) of the world earn their following.

18 minutes ago, OKMrazor said:

That list was a mix of home subscription services and "boutique" (I guess) gym memberships - and just a partial list, at that.

There are so many, though.  But I will say, the quality of content on a lot of these platforms is really impressive these days.  I love rowing and am partial to a "dumbed-down" but tried-and-true indoor rowing machine.  The "computer" data read-out seems ancient and dated, but entirely effective. When a friend bought a rower and subscription service (Hydrow), the price + monthly felt ludicrous to me, but having used it a time or two I really enjoyed it and can see why they committed (and have stuck to) it.  I've got a perfectly good rower, but if they make a few (data) changes I would consider upgrading and paying the monthly.... well, maybe (habits, and my thing already works *FOR ME). But I can see how the Peloton's and Hydrows (et al) of the world earn their following.

Yes, everyone's "mileage will vary" as the old saying goes. I've never had any use for the subscription stuff. However, I have, for instance, a good friend that was really heavy - and out of shape to the point that it was probably going to really threaten her health. Literally couldn't walk up her stairs without being out of breath. Little self-discipline, she wouldn't work out on her own on any sort of schedule. She got a Peloton two or three years ago - and I swear it may have saved her life. She got addicted to it. Has lost a lot of weight, and her self-esteem (that was sort of in the toilet) has skyrocketed. That one machine and subscription has transformed her life. 

So while I have never felt any desire to get gym memberships or subscriptions, I have learned well not to judge those for whom they can really, seriously work.

• Like 2

Go Sox!

@PublicEnemy,  I've been interested in this machine since I first saw the commercials last year, but unsure if it can do everything I do at the gym.

This is what I do at the gym.  Most of these are done on machines, but some are with dumbbells:

Bench press, incline bench press, flys

Lat pulldown, row

Bicep curl, preacher curl, incline curl

Tricep pushdown with bar or rope, overhead triceps extension, skullcrusher

Shoulder press, Shoulder shrug, lateral raise

Leg press, Squats, Calve raise, Hamstring curls

I've been doing this routine at the gym for over 35 years now, 3 times a week - Chest/Back, Bicep/Tricep, and Leg/Shoulder - 12 sets per muscle group

If it can do most of these exercises (I can always supplement with some dumbbell work) I would definitely be interested.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

The Peloton has been life changing for me. I was about 225lbs at the start of the pandemic, got a Peloton in May 2020 and have dropped down to a cool 175lbs since. Has given me new life, new energy, and a litany of new swing problems as I haven't been this slender and flexible since high school days. Honestly though, the cost of the machine does sound steep but you pay $40/$50 a month for a membership that has more than just cycling and can use unlimited users. It's really worth the investment if you're on the fence of getting one.

• Like 1