2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Carry a 5 wood or 2/3 hybrid?

wareagle902

I have a 19* hybrid that I love (and would not want to take out of the bag) and was excited to get a 5W in the bag.  I was surprised how high the 5W flew and the gapping was not what I had hoped for.  I swapped out the 5W for a 16.5* 4W (actually Sim2 Max 3HL) and it's perfect.  I ordered it a little shorter.  It's extremely easy to hit through two rounds and my gaps are

exactly what I hoped for.    

I think a lot is dependent on your other clubs.  I don't love the idea of carrying both a 3W and 5W or a 2H and 3H.

I've always had trouble with a 3 wood and have gone right from driver to 19 degree hybrid for the past couple of years.  I just picked up a 5W and I think it will knock my 19 degree hybrid out of my bag.  I think it's a little more forgiving on mishits and ball flight is higher with a softer landing.  It probably carries a bit farther with less roll out, and that ball flight is a little more useful at my course.  Going forward, I think using a 5W and then alternating between a 22 degree hybrid and 3 iron depending on conditions is what I'll stick with.

Edited by dsmil

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue 6.5 70g - 43.75 in.
Ping G425 Max 17.5* 5 wood - Ping Tour 75s - 41.50 in.

TM Stealth Rescue 22* 4H - Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 90s
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo - 4-PW - DG X100
Cleveland RTX 50*
Cleveland RTX-3 54*
Cleveland RTX-3 58*
Cleveland HB Soft 10.5 Putter

TXG did a fantastic video on this subject where they pitted 5w vs Hybrid vs Driving Iron at the same loft. The conclusion was they all went the exact same distance but got there very differently. 5 wood launched the highest and carried the furthest, driving iron launched the lowest and had the most run out. Hybrid sat right in the middle. So the answer is choose based on the ball flight you want. I played a driving iron in this slot for years but decided to go 5 wood for the height because that's what my game needed. Couldn't be happier for what it did for my game, but I think the answer to your question is you know what your game needs and you should choose accordingly.

Video: 

• Like 3

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6 X
TaylorMade SIM2 15* & 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 7 & 8 X

Srixon ZX7 4-AW Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX

Mizuno T20 Raw 57/11@56 & 61/07@60 Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 105 TX

Evnroll ER 2.2 MidBlade Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept 135
Titleist Pro V1x #13

I went with a 20 degree Super Hybrid. I feel like it’s the best of both worlds. Has great distance but the shorter shaft makes it easier to control. It is a go to on tight driving holes.  

PING G430 MAX 10K DRIVER w/ACCRA TZX 255

PING G430 MAX 3W w/ACCRA FX 2.0 200F

PING G425 MAX 7W w/ACCRA FX 2.0 200F

PING G425 5H w/ACCRA FX 2.0 200H

PING G425 6H w/ACCRA FX 2.0 200H

PING G425 6-SW w/ACCRA ICWT 95

PING GLIDE 4.0 60-10S w/ACCRA 105i

PING ZING 2 PLD CUSTOM 

On 9/25/2021 at 11:14 AM, Billfitz said:

I retired my Taylor Made 19 degree 5 wood, replaced it with a 19 degree 3H, which is better in every respect. I'm donating the 5W to the local high school team.

I prefer a 19 deg hybrid because I play mostly bermuda rough and it seems more usable to me than a 5w in that scenario.

• Like 1

I play driver, 2H(turned down 1 degree to 16) and 3 iron (20) which works well for me! 

Rotate the following:

Titliest TSR2 10* (@C1) Ventus TR Black 6X 

Titliest TSR2 16.5* (@A1) Fuji Speeder 8.3TS X

Titliest TSR2 21* (@A1) Fuji Atmos Blue 8X

Titliest 818H2 21* (@B3) Fuji Atmos Black 9X

Srixon ZXU 18*, ZX5 3-4, ZX7 5-PW

C-taper 125 S+ PVD Black, BBFCO "Black Ice Ice Ferrule", Pure DTX Purple Std +4 wraps

Cleveland RTX6 Raw 50*Mid Ctaper 130X, 54* Full S400 Onyx, 58* Low S400 Onyx

Mizzy MCraft VI 36.5" SS Pistol 1.0

Titliest PV1

4 hours ago, markmcco said:

I prefer a 19 deg hybrid because I play mostly bermuda rough and it seems more usable to me than a 5w in that scenario.

My rough is a mixture of blue grass and fescue, which is iffy with any metal wood. My 19 and 22 hybrids cut through it no problem. It's nice not having to go with a mid iron to dig the ball out.

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

18* 5W and a 22* hybrid. I don’t know if that’s a 3 or a 4…gave up trying to figure out the equivalent number a long time ago since every mfg does it differently, and even same mfg in different product lines.

The 5W is a long sweeping off the deck club, the hybrid is a more forgiving long iron.

For you, I’d think a hybrid would have better trajectory control to “flight down” and mix different types of shots, especially in light rough or even sand.

My 5W is pretty much one flight whether tee or turf.

Edited by Seattlegolfnut

I'd say 2/3 hybrid is anywhere from 16-20, with 4 hybrid being 21/22* and 5 hybrid being 23/25*

I dropped my 4/5 wood (which was my alternate driving club to Driver), for a 40" 2 hybrid with the hopes of it being easier to hit off of the deck, and long enough as a driving club.

22* hybrid is my next longest club.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

I bought a Cleveland Hy-Wood today.  After hitting it in the store, went straight to a grass range for a test run.

Good grief. It was absolutely one of the best out of the box clubs I've ever hit. It's a cross between a fairway wood and hybrid.  It's 18* with a shorter shaft than a fairway wood and longer than a hybrid.  It was easy to hit as a 9-iron. Just long soaring shots. 

My PING G410 4 hybrid was one of my favorite clubs.  But I struggled with my 5-wood off the deck. It was mostly a tee club for me. The Cleveland Hywood was clearly better.  Outstanding club.

• Like 3

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

Had the first round with the Cleveland Hy-wood today.  It was as good as it was on the range. It is easier to hit than my hybrid.  Hit several approach shots in the 215-230 range that would have either just hit short with my hybrid or sprayed my 5-wood. Was totally comfortable taking dead aim at a course with small greens.  It was money off the tee as well.

Like I wrote, a 5-wood was very inconsistent off the tee. I never hit a 2 or 3 hybrid as well as my 4H. I hit the Cleveland Hy-wood better than my 4h.

The honeymoon is great so far.

Edited by mantan
  • Like 1

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2021 at 9:53 AM, wareagle902 said:

Which do you prefer in that spot in your bag?  Haven’t carried a 5 wood since I was probably 10 but seems more popular than the hybrids with the pros these days. 

Would primarily want it to be a reliable option off the tee that I can flight down a bit but also an option from the fairway/ light rough. 

Got a GAPR mid 18* in that spot now which I like off the tee but toying around with a new 5 Wood or 2 hybrid. A little more distance/ forgiveness be nice. 

I have a cut-down 3H (39.25") at swingweight D5 that I can use to swing anywhere between 205 and 240 (I choke down and swing lightly when necessary).  Mostly I use it for 220-245.  

I just picked up a 5W that is 1/2" short, and it is a TS2, so I can adjust the loft. I set it to 18.75 degrees. 

On the range yesterday, I was hitting both very well and getting a ton of height (both off the deck and on the tee) but the 5W (essentially a 6W at this point) was flying up to 255, whereas 235 is the carry on my cut down 3H.  

For me, this is perfect gapping on tighter dogleg holes.  For whatever reason, we have a ton of 410 yard dogleg holes where you hit 250-260 on the first shot, placed well, and have a 9-iron into the green.  

I found the new 5W to be incredibly easy to swing, almost silly easy.  Mine has a RDX Smoke 70g 6.5 shaft.  I also tried the Smoke Green 6.5 and didn't notice a difference.  We have a target about 220 out (which is 255 with a real ball instead of a distance limited range ball) and I was making repeatable swings that would have put the ball on the green with the new 5W. Not every swing, but consistently enough given the club.  So yeah, it was very, very easy to hit!  

I think my new bag will be driver, my 4W and 6W (or just one), the 3H, and then 4-PW, plus a 50 and 56.  I don't use the lob wedge much and will probably drop it; being set up properly off of the tee and having control on my approach on par 5s when reaching in 2 is going to give me a better score than trying to master that 60 degree.  I have been playing around with tempo on my 54 and opening the face and have been getting good results.  

3 wood 

2 hybrid at 18 degrees

Driving Iron at 20 degrees

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Titleist TSR3 8* - Ventus Black TR 6X

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15* - Tour AD VR 7X

Callaway UW 19* - Ventus Red 7X

Callaway X Forged UT 20* - LA Golf A 85X

Callaway Apex '21 5-PW - TT ETS 115 X

Titleist SM9 50* & 54* - DG S200

TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - KBS Hi Rev 115 S

EVNROLL ER5B - Stability Tour Black

On 9/25/2021 at 9:53 AM, wareagle902 said:

Which do you prefer in that spot in your bag?  Haven’t carried a 5 wood since I was probably 10 but seems more popular than the hybrids with the pros these days. 

Would primarily want it to be a reliable option off the tee that I can flight down a bit but also an option from the fairway/ light rough. 

Got a GAPR mid 18* in that spot now which I like off the tee but toying around with a new 5 Wood or 2 hybrid. A little more distance/ forgiveness be nice. 

Also, don't forget the length of the club; having it shafted to hit your distance is always an option.  The 3H that I have would go too far if it had a standard 40.25" shaft or whatever Srixon recommends.  I needed a club that carried 235 and was versatile (driver SS of 107-111). Same with the 5/6W.  Needed 250-260, and I got that with a slightly shorter club. Easier to hit and control too!  

My personal experience, and this is an aside, is that shorter clubs are just as long for me, if not longer, as I find the sweet spot much more often.  With that Hybrid, I am nearly always in the sweet spot and I can't tell you how many times it has saved par for me after duffing my drive and leaving me with 235 to the hole on a long par 4. I can be out 220-245 to the hole and know I have a very good shot of putting on my next stroke.  Trouble is, when I am on the tee, I have no idea where my ball is headed when I am staring down at my driver!  

7 minutes ago, RoyalMustang said:

My personal experience, and this is an aside, is that shorter clubs are just as long for me, if not longer, as I find the sweet spot much more often.  With that Hybrid, I am nearly always in the sweet spot and I can't tell you how many times it has saved par for me after duffing my drive and leaving me with 235 to the hole on a long par 4. I can be out 220-245 to the hole and know I have a very good shot of putting on my next stroke.  Trouble is, when I am on the tee, I have no idea where my ball is headed when I am staring down at my driver!  

This suggest you really need a shorter driver shaft and have weight added to the head to restore the optimum swing weight needed to consistently hit the sweet spot.

Edited by ShortGolfer

6 minutes ago, RoyalMustang said:

Also, don't forget the length of the club; having it shafted to hit your distance is always an option.  The 3H that I have would go too far if it had a standard 40.25" shaft or whatever Srixon recommends.  I needed a club that carried 235 and was versatile (driver SS of 107-111). Same with the 5/6W.  Needed 250-260, and I got that with a slightly shorter club. Easier to hit and control too!  

If you are hitting your 6W 260 yards, I would think your options off of the tee would be endless.  300+ with a 3 wood should be easy.  Three quarter swing driver should go 330.  Or just chip a utility iron out there 275.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Woods/Fairways:  Callaway with Mitsubishi shafts

Irons:  Srixon with Dynamic Gold shafts

I have both an 18* 5 wood and a 18* 2 hybrid. After playing a significant amount of rounds with each I prefer the hybrid because it's more versatile and flights the ball lower. The other issue I have is the 5 wood is too closely gapped with my 3 wood. The hybrid bridges the gap between fairway wood and irons a little more evenly.

LTDx LS 11.5* - Tensei White 65X

G430 Max 15* - Ping Chrome 75S

King Tec Hybrid 19* - MMT 80S

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F, 54S, 60M

White Hot OG 7CH

Have always thought 2/3 hybrid, 5w, and utility irons all have their place, and it makes sense to potentially add or delete based on the course.

Personally use 2/3 hybrid more often for where I play, because the medium flight works well, and the shorter shaft length gives a slight advantage in accuracy versus 5w. 

Can totally see where utility iron comes into play on a narrow, tree lined course, and a 5w is a great option for courses with par 5's that are protected and require a steep descent to stop the ball.

Edited by morgan1819

Woods/Fairways:  Callaway with Mitsubishi shafts

Irons:  Srixon with Dynamic Gold shafts

To me, if the use is for off the tee on shorter holes then I'd use a hybrid for the lower trajectory, gets on the ground quicker and rolls out.  If the use is for approach shots from the fairway, then a "fairway" wood every time.  Higher ball flight, lands softly, larger more forgiving head.   

But honestly the best thing to do is to carry both.   It's a lot easier for me to hit a couple different distances and trajectories with a P wedge.

• Like 1

Cobra King LTD Black

Callaway Epic Flash 3w

Callaway Mavrik 5w

Callaway Mavrik Pro 4h

PING iBlade 5-PW
PING Glide 50°
Titleist Vokey 54° s

Ping Glide 58° es

Bettinardi BB1

Used to never play hybrids cause I would hook Took out my hybrids first time in years cause I was struggling with my fairways woods My swing have evolved to such that I have a nice draw with hybrids and prefer use it from the tee and fairway.  Still have my 5 wood. As I find easier to cut 5 wood. But that’s all I can do with 5 wood now. 5 wood used to be my favorite club I could play both directions 

Edited by Haroputt

I use a Wilson F5 tour hybrid 17* turned to 18*. It’s the best club in my bag honestly. I can’t remember the last time I missed it off the tee, and I can flight it however I want. It’s great off the turf and out of the rough as well. It’s the tee shot why I choose hybrid over 5 wood. Flight control is tops on my list. 

11FA495D-74A2-40FB-9563-AD4132C3B914.jpeg

Edited by mogc60

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

1 hour ago, rsballer10 said:

The other issue I have is the 5 wood is too closely gapped with my 3 wood. 

I don't carry a traditional 3wd anymore due too this.....and my swimgspeed dictates a 2h doesn't carry far enough to warrant - 5wd 7wd 9wd 5h

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

2 hours ago, morgan1819 said:

If you are hitting your 6W 260 yards, I would think your options off of the tee would be endless.  300+ with a 3 wood should be easy.  Three quarter swing driver should go 330.  Or just chip a utility iron out there 275.

My 4W can roll out to 295...but my driver, not much more than that.  I can't hit the damn thing. 

It is all about being fluid with driving off the back foot and through the hips.  I can't sync it with a driver!  

2 hours ago, morgan1819 said:

Have always thought 2/3 hybrid, 5w, and utility irons all have their place, and it makes sense to potentially add or delete based on the course.

Personally use 2/3 hybrid more often for where I play, because the medium flight works well, and the shorter shaft length gives a slight advantage in accuracy versus 5w. 

Can totally see where utility iron comes into play on a narrow, tree lined course, and a 5w is a great option for courses with par 5's that are protected and require a steep descent to stop the ball.

Guy I played with last week used a driving iron on 4 or 5 holes.  He was very good player, legit 2 handicap. He said "better to be 230 in the fairway than who knows where with my 3W. I don't trust the damn thing"

• Like 1

I recently bought a new Wilson Staff D9 19* 3 hybrid to replace an old Nike 20* 3 hybrid.  I've only used it on the range so far, but I like it so much that I just bought the 17* 2 hybrid and the 13.5* 3W+.  The 3W+ will replace my 15* TM RBZ Stage 2 15* 3W.  I play on very windy courses on a very windy island so if I have to try to lower the flight to cut into the wind often as I can. 

So depending on the conditions, my top end setup will now be rotated between:

W/S D9 9* driver

W/S D9 13.5* 3W+

W/S D9 17* 2 hybrid

W/S D9 19* 3 hybrid

Callaway Apex 21 19* 3 iron (3-GW Apex/Apex Pro combo set currently on order)

I'm also considering purchasing the new Callaway UW in 17* as well to fit in the rotation as a sort of 4/5Wthat can sub out the hybrids or 3 iron.  I haven't really used any other fairway wood in the bag besides a 3W since I started playing golf, other than having a Stan Thompson Ginty. 

9 hours ago, RoyalMustang said:

Guy I played with last week used a driving iron on 4 or 5 holes.  He was very good player, legit 2 handicap. He said "better to be 230 in the fairway than who knows where with my 3W. I don't trust the damn thing"

That's what my 16 degree hybrid does for me, straight down the middle every time. When I really hit it flush it's as long off the deck as my driver is off the tee. I've never owned a 3 wood that did that.

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft