If you had to rebuild your swing, where would you start?

reefrash1043

I’ve been playing for a few years and am completely self taught. I typically shoot in the low to mid 90’s but that can vary drastically depending what swing shows up that day. 

I’ve probably watched every different popular YouTube channel to get tips/techniques. Obviously I’d like to get lessons but with a career, wife and kids - I’m stretched thin. 

If you had to start over and rebuild your swing. Where would you start? Any certain instructor or videos? 

Thanks!  

I am new here and a fairly new golfer.  From the advice here I purchased the no turn cast video from Monte at Rebelliongolf.com.  I will admit I am terrible. I watched the video and practiced the drills at home for several days, today I went to the driving range and I can say I am a believer.  I only paid $26 and I really felt I hit the ball different today.

New to golf I suggest reading this - this was written a while back and knowledge of the swing has increased with all the tech available to actually measure elite golf swings - that said, this still has a lot of good info.

http://persimmongolftoday.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Encyclopedia-Texarcana-Jones.pdf

Edited by glk
  • Like 3

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

"for I think a law that is not just, is not actually a law" ("nam mihi lex esse non videtur, quae justa non fuerit")  Saint Augustine of Hippo

I came back from a long layoff of not playing and have tried several.  First tried stack and tilt, realized fairly quickly it wasn’t for me.  Next tried Graves Golf (single plane swing), just didn’t feel right with the arms and legs.  The thing I have liked the best and still doing the drills is Athletic Motion Golf (AMG).  I like the way they teach and just seems to click with my way of learning.  I started with their free video collection and would probably move to the pay content soon.  Would love a lesson with them.  

Driver - Testing in Progress

3 - 6 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (19*, 21*, 24*, 27*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

SW - Cleveland RTX4 54*

LW - Cleveland RTX6 58*

LW2 - Cleveland RTX4 62*

Putter - Sled 01

Ball - Venture RS-1

Interesting question. I am on a quest to get to scratch, and have been working hard on my swing with a pro. My recommendation would be to start with the fundamentals at address: grip, address posture and ball position. After that, I would focus entirely on position at impact. There are a lot of different ways to deliver the club to the ball, and I would worry more about how the club impacts the ball than how it gets there. Obviously the two are related, but I feel like I've spent too much time working on backswing positions and not enough time on position at impact.

Well if you want to go back to some basic building blocks I will suggest Michael McTeigue book Key to the Effortless Golf Swing (videos for each lesson in book are also on YouTube). A bit dated but builds a good basic repeatable  swing.

You can then build upon this say with some AMG stuff.

Edited by Nickc

I’d always start by finding a good instructor. Golf is hard enough to not have someone teach and check your progress.  We on the forum enjoy the talks and vids but in all honesty I still have to find a solid self taught amateur IRL.  The handful of low single digits I know who took up the game as adults have been successful through lessons and a lot of hard short game practice.  

• Like 1

An over taught game, in my opinion.  Keep it simple.  The golf swing is played on an inclined plane.  Learn where the club is square to that plane about two feet past impact and build your swing from there.  Building a swing on the ultimate objective is easier than building a swing with a bunch of positional objectives with a loss of focus on the ultimate objective.  

• Like 2

All I can say is that whatever swing concept one works with, it needs to be a solid commitment. Cant try one thing out and the minute it doesnt work you try something else. Devote time to range, film each session to see progress etc and dont try to change everything all at once. As for deciding what concept to work on, choose one where the concept is clear and has drills to work on in order to achieve. This in my opinion is what makes Monte's work the best out there. I swear by the NTC, but for me its been a commitment. When it comes to concepts/swing theories, I usually suffer from skipping ahead to the end result, and work backwards with tragic results. Remaining committed to working the parts of the program in order has helped me immeasurably, and I'm still only incorporating 1/2-2/3 of the program in to my swing. (About 6 weeks in)

I honestly cant believe that anyone who tries it, stays committed to it, wont have success with it

• Like 1

19 hours ago, reefrash1043 said:

If you had to start over and rebuild your swing. Where would you start?

Proper hip movement. Grip posture & setup is meaningless without the lower body working right. The average guy has awful hip action, me included. It all comes back to how they clear, if that's not there, little else gets fixed. Swing flaws will remain. I've tinkered with every aspect of my swing, every lever, every joint, and solid hips are as foundational as a great grip. Wasted many golfing years,  until I addressed it. Once I did, then upper body can go where it's never been. There's a reason most low digit players come from people who started in youth. Dynamic balance and decent lower movements are developed intuitively in the young, start this game at 27, not really the case. 

Nothing taught me more than reading the Stack & Tilt book.  Their explanation of the real fundamentals of the swing made everything clear and simple for me.

Whether I can perform everything they prescribe is another question, but as they say, doing any part of their fundamentals will improve your swing.

I really like what Monte does so purchasing his videos would be a good place to start. But, as several other posters have said, grip and setup are key. I believe Butch Harmon once said, "If you don't have a good grip, you don't want a good golf swing," or something to that effect. 

Setup to me is one of the most important things you can be taught to do correctly. If you don't set up to the ball correctly, compensations have to be made to get to impact in a good position. 

focus on these two things and subscribe to Monty's videos, and you'll be in a good spot.

Ping g430 LST 9* - HZRDUS Hulk 6.5 65g
Ping g430 LST 14.5* - Project X Smoke Black 70x
Ping g430 17* - Project X Smoke Black 6.5 or TM P70UDI 2 with same shaft
Ping i59 4-PW - DG AMT White X100
Callaway Jaws Raw Black 50*, 54*, 60*- DG TI S400
Odyssey O-Works Black Jailbird Mini w/ Stability Tour
Taylor Made TP5 PIX

4 minutes ago, jomatty said:

I would look at the young guys like Morikawa and how they swing.  The bowed left wrist and rotation through the ball seems like a great way to approach the swing.  I would find a teacher that understands this style of golf swing and work with him/her.

Nobody should start golf with complete outliers as their model. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jomatty said:

He is not starting golf.  He has been playing for years.

Even more reason not to add an extreme move like the mega bowed wrist. None of the guys who do that did it deliberately - it's a natural part of their swing and requires incredible athleticism to perform correctly. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Even more reason not to add an extreme move like the mega bowed wrist. None of the guys who do that did it deliberately - it's a natural part of their swing and requires incredible athleticism to perform correctly. 

Again, while I hear what you are saying, the question was not “what should I do?”.  Perhaps that was what he was asking but I read it literally the way it was written, “what would you do?”.  That is what I would do, and what I would work towards my swing looking like.  I may be being pedantic, and I’m a considerably lower hcp than op, but I took it as a discussion of how each individual would approach rebuilding their swing.  For what it’s worth I don’t know that a “mega” bowed wrist is necessary for the Colin/Spieth style swing to work.  Bowed, but not necessarily DJ/Berger bowed.  That’s where the teacher who understood the swing would come in…

Edited by jomatty

1 minute ago, jomatty said:

Again, while I hear what you are saying, the question was not “what should I do?”.  Perhaps that was what he was asking but I read it literally the way it was written, “what would you do?”.  That is what I would do, and what I would work towards my swing looking like.  For what it’s worth I don’t know that a “mega” bowed wrist is necessary for the Colin/Spieth style swing to work.  Bowed, but not necessarily DJ/Berger bowed.  That’s where the teacher who understood the swing would come in…

Okay, I'm with you. It's a self prescription. 👍🏻

The grip.  

your entire action is dictated by how you grip it.  They have to match. 

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Spoiler

When or where? Lol.  If I had the opportunity to start over I would have taken up the game at 5 years old instead of realistically(played some as a kid but not really) not starting until age 30.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TS3 strong 3w 13.5° PX HZRDUS black 70g

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Okay, my answer is this: 

Build as neutral a swing as possible. Get your grip and setup as balanced and neutral as possible and then spend almost all of your time grooving a P3 swing. If you can get to P3 in a similar place to the vast majority of tour players (and almost everyone can) then the backswing is pretty much over. 

From there learn how to transition with the correct wrist conditions and the swing is over. You can nail the first part in a few months with hard work. The second part will take longer, but much easier if you're backswing is nice and neutral. 

There's a reason the top players make it look easy - it's because they don't move anything that doesn't need to move and they're almost all pretty neutral. Even the outliers. 

Every time you go to the range make your first job to be to check your grip and setup. If you're disciplined with this approach less compensations will creep in and you'll waste less time. 

Stick with it. Trust that this is how a good swing is built and don't get distracted by frikken YouTube. 

Edited by TheDeanAbides
  • Like 1

Tough to say because there are so many variables.  I do think it's generally best (not always) to work in chronological fashion.  If you find that your takeaway and transition need to overhauled, it's generally best to work on the takeaway first.  Sometimes you can kinda reverse engineer it, but more often than not working chronologically works best.

I'd break down the swing into 5 parts:

- Arm Swing

- Body Pivot

- Wrist action

- Torques (particularly in the backswing)

- Forces

It's not about being 'textbook' or 'pretty', it's about functionality.  But at this point if you're a 90's shooter and been playing for a while, your swing rebuild will lean more towards looking 'textbook' than being very unique ala Matt Wolff, Trevino, Lietzke, etc.

I think the biggest issues that amateurs have, myself included, is inaccurate swing concepts.  They'll doggedly try to execute those concepts and then come to find out that it's either physically impossible to do or that concept isn't what is actually going on with the best ballstrikers.

So I recommend a lot of the Athletic Motion Golf stuff out there.  I wouldn't say they are 100% accurate as there are plenty of 'one-off' golf swings that can prove them wrong, but again...at this stage with your scores you're likely going to only advance by looking more 'textbook' than being unique.

I also find Jim Waldon's Arm Swing Illusion work to be helpful.  Out of the 5 parts of the swing I mentioned, I find that the arm swing to be the most difficult to figure out because of the illusion of how the arms swing and it's difficult for the golfer's brain to wrap their head around it.  There's also some illusion with the body pivot, but it's not as big of an illusion with the arm swing.  Jim's work is really good in that area.

Other than that, there are a good amount of instructors out there that know the same stuff that AMG and Waldron have been teaching.  If you're serious about a rebuild, I would find an instructor and get in-person lessons with them, 1x month.  Get a tripod with an attachment for your phone camera so you can track your progress.  And even if it's only for 10 minutes, indoors and not even hitting a ball, get some type of training/practice in each day. 

And if you don't understand the ball flight laws, there's plenty of stuff from places like Trackman and FlightScope to help you uot.

RH

• Like 2