Limited flexibility causing lack of distance?

Joe40

I'm in my early 40s, but have the back of someone 20 years older.  25 years of playing rugby has left me with a lot more wear and tear on my lower vertebrae than I should have at my age (according to the MRI scans), and the inflammation/arthritis is significant and permanent.  Although I can do a few things to reduce the stiffness in my lower back, and so play without too much pain, I seem to still have significant restrictions in how far I can actually move it. 

If I accept that I can only turn so far, and don't try to exceed that, then I can make a nice smooth and balanced swing, strike the ball nicely and hit it straight.  But my distances are very short compared to everyone my age I play with - 125yds with a 7 iron, 200yds with a driver is a good one.  I'm about the same distance wise as some of the fellas in their 60s-70s.

So, am I correct to think that my restricted mobility / limited flexibility is at least contributing to my lack of distance?  (Not saying that's the only thing).  Do I accept it and find another way to shoot lower scores, or is there anything I can do to get more distance despite these physical limitations?

You don't necessarily need great flexibility in the spine and a big turn to hit the ball on a strong flight with good distance. Difficult to make recommendations without seeing your swing but you need to hear speed (the swish) with a speed stick or speed whoosh or something similar. Your arms need to be soft along with having mobility in your wrists.

TAYLORMADE SIM 2 10.5*

CALLAWAY X2 HOT 3 DEEP 14.5*

PXG PROTO HYBRIDS 19*, 22*

SRIXON ZX5 5-P

CLEVELAND RTX ZIPCORE RAW 48*,54*, 60*FF

ODYSSEY WHITE HOT 2 BALL MID

Flexibility doesn't hurt,  but it's probably more mechanics.  I'm almost 42 with a back like yours,  had surgery on it last year.   I also have a tore up knee and shoulder from hockey.  I'm carrying around about an extra 80 pounds not helping anything. I'm not poking it 300, but I can still get it out there in the 270 to 280 range.   

Taylormade Sim 2 8* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x

Taylormade M3 3 Wood Accra FX 300

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 18* Aldila RIP Phenom

Taylormade P770  4-PW Rifle 6.0

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy

Lots of YouTube videos out there that say arthritis is not permanent. I wish you luck. I’m having some of the same issues myself.

Srixon Z585, 10.5*
TaylorMade SIM Max 5 wood 18*

Titleist TS2 21* hybrid
Cobra DWS 23*, Nippon 950GH
Callaway X-14 5-PW

Vokey SM7 52F
Vokey SM7 56M

Vokey 60M
TaylorMade Ardmore 1

25 minutes ago, Joe40 said:

That’s not always ended well in the past either, but I suppose I could try it again!

You have to do it the right way.  All swing faults are applying speed the wrong way and/or at the wrong time.  That’s why just swinging easy is just a band aid.

Edited by MonteScheinblum
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, golfarb1 said:

Of course arthritis and problems in your lumbar spine will affect your ability to rotate .BUT there have been top golfers who have succeeded with very short backswings

The first is Tony Finau , one of the longest drivers on tours ;the second is Alan Doyle, who won 4 senior majors.

FA1C0DDD-1FFA-4BAC-8962-F796BC11E7E5.png

C54C443F-9164-4511-9FE4-7635DF4B1671.png

i agree that both of these backswings are short, but they both rotate their hips at least 40 degrees and their shoulders 80-90 degrees. That's what those that make a full backswing do as well. So lack of flexibility (in their lower back) may not be the reason Finau and Doyle have a short backswing. 

17 hours ago, Joe40 said:

I'm in my early 40s, but have the back of someone 20 years older.  25 years of playing rugby has left me with a lot more wear and tear on my lower vertebrae than I should have at my age (according to the MRI scans), and the inflammation/arthritis is significant and permanent.  Although I can do a few things to reduce the stiffness in my lower back, and so play without too much pain, I seem to still have significant restrictions in how far I can actually move it. 

If I accept that I can only turn so far, and don't try to exceed that, then I can make a nice smooth and balanced swing, strike the ball nicely and hit it straight.  But my distances are very short compared to everyone my age I play with - 125yds with a 7 iron, 200yds with a driver is a good one.  I'm about the same distance wise as some of the fellas in their 60s-70s.

So, am I correct to think that my restricted mobility / limited flexibility is at least contributing to my lack of distance?  (Not saying that's the only thing).  Do I accept it and find another way to shoot lower scores, or is there anything I can do to get more distance despite these physical limitations?

I'm 56 and fractured my vertebrae in an accident when I was 23 and was in surgery for 7 hours and in a body cast for 5 months. My back also has an unnatural curve due to the fusion. The doctors told me not to lift more than 30 lbs for the rest of my life.

They told me I could walk and do limited sports activities. What I found out over time is that not doing some time of strenuous routine will cause my back to go out of alignment and cause pain and numbness in my back and legs. Therefore, I started working out lightly in the gym as I had done this before and my back pain decreased.

That was 1987 and after many years of training and experimentation I have come up with a routine that keeps my back as healthy as it has ever been since the surgery. I work out 4 times a week at home and have one day of power cleans and front squats from the power clean position. I weight 150 and workout with 165 lbs. I also do power cleans and front lunges with 135 lbs. The other two days I do chest, back and arms.

Also, golf has been good for my back as long as one learns that the swing technique will have to adapt to one's condition. For example, my lower back is fused so I can't do a one piece takeaway because it will cause my back to go out of alignment. Therefore, I have an outside takeaway then drop it into the inside, this way my lower back is tight and resisting from the beginning. While this hasn't helped my hand and arm mechanics it has as a consequence led me to learn to resist with my legs and push off my right side, so I generate a lot of clubhead speed. In fact I posted a thread recently about how I've measured my clubhead speed increasing 12 mph just from pushing off my right side. Also, 9 years after my accident I had my clubhead speed measured at 128 mph with a 43.5" shaft when I was 31. Good luck.

I have a lot of flexibility from gardening.  I routinely hold all sorts of awkward positions  to prune my hundreds of flowing shrubs.

Doesn't do a thing for my club head speed as it doesn't involve moving fast.  Exactly the opposite.  By moving slowly I don't get myself tangled up in something.

I do move my hands quickly to prune my shrubs, but again, that isn't helpful to increasing my club head speed.

Instead, swinging a club fast has required activating neural connections that I haven't used in over twenty years!

I can tell from the "buzz" I get from the learning process that is just going away after a couple months.

Yes, it takes that long for my body to establish new neural pathways to replace those that were lost in a stroke.

Stroke recovery can be difficult because many won't or can't put in the work required.  Or they just don't know how.

Edited by ShortGolfer

My BAC level is now at a respectable level, so I will respond again... sorry.

Somewhere, somehow you are losing your speed in your swing.  I am not an instructor, but I chimed in earlier to imply low flexibility is not the reason for the power outage.

There are a lot of great instructors on this site, but you have Monte opining, and as a former WLD Champion I would pursue his thoughts on this lack of distance because it might be physical to a point, but not too this point.

Perhaps on-line lessons, or if you are able, one his clinics might be in order.  Just a more cohesive and explanatory thought than before.