2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Do you run Stricker right back in 2 years in Rome?

JaNelson38

20 minutes ago, Greg_B said:

He's just stirring a pot that doesn't need to be stirred.  But got some clicks.

The whole point of the so called "task force" that popped up after Phil-gate was to have a long term plan.  You don't toss it out just because we won a Ryder Cup we were supposed to win.  You check the box and apparently the plan worked - which includes assistants who are being groomed to be captains. Furyk could have easily captained this team to a win, but no he's an idiot because we lost in France, haha.  Couples could have captained this team to a win from the clubhouse.

Players need to perform.

We win one - make that guy captain again, no make him permanent captain.  Win in Wisconsin - we better make that the permanent venue, lol.  

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 2

I actually think that Zack, if he gets the nod, will do a nice job. Two Players that I would not have thought were Zack fans, and I'd have put money on them NOT being Zack fans, though please bear in mind that I lost $2500 on this Cup🏆😬, indeed spoke highly of him. 

He'd be a solid choice, and screw Shedloski, he stole that "absof*****lutely" from me as I used that in a post on the board the first week that I joined here, when he was still in diapers👶🏻

Putz😏

Cheers🍻

RP

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I would like to see Zack Johnson named Captain. In recent years the 4 or 5 assistant vice captains seems silly. So for Rome, just  Johnson with no assistants.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

3 minutes ago, Stetson884 said:

I want Fred Couples as a Captain So Bad! His calming and fierce attitude is perfect!

You might get him.  Who Zach names as assistants (if he is announced in a few months) may be a tip off as to who else may be being considered for future captains.  I suppose if having Freddie involved so much is a sign that there is a change in terms of whether he wants to be or others want him to actually be a captain he could actually be next so we get him before he's too old to be less effective than he will be in two years.

LOL, I'm not his biggest fan - lots of work involved in being Ryder Cup captain - if he is selected just hope he puts in the work.

35 minutes ago, Stetson884 said:

I want Fred Couples as a Captain So Bad! His calming and fierce attitude is perfect!

Couples will be 67 in 2027, and without a doubt completely detached from any of these young guys currently making up the core of the team.  Freddie barely even plays on the Champions Tour anymore.  That's not necessarily a bad thing, but does the US want a captain that barely picks up the clubs anymore?

One of the reasons why Stricker is so respected and liked by his peers is because he has backed it up on course - he's played with all of these guys and still been somewhat competitive on Tour (cripes, he almost won in Phoenix in February).  Zach Johnson the same way, although to a bit lesser extent.  Of course, Phil and Tiger too.  I think Freddie was involved at WS mainly because he is one of Strick's best friends.....I cen't remember off-hand, but I dont think he was a vice captain in Paris under Furyk.

The one thing about running Stricker back in Rome is that he won't have a lot of the other 'stuff' he had to deal with at WS.  He won't have to worry about anything regarding course set up, or how things are run, all of the infrastructure stuff, etc....the Europeans are the hosts.  All he has to do is basically decide the players.  Its far less on his plate than what he had for this past Ryder Cup.

I have no idea on the leadership style of a guy like Matt Kuchar, or a guy like David Toms. Or how fellow players feel about either of them. But I think either one of those guys may get a look at captaincy before Freddie.

I do agree with the previous post that whomever is named as vice captains for Rome will be in the succession line.  We know Phil and Tiger will certainly be there.  Who the other vices will be is the big question.

Edited by JaNelson38

i feel like the team we had -- anyone could've been captain and they were goin to beat up Europe...

• Like 2

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

1 hour ago, Forged4ever said:

Oh Dear God😜🤪

Only in golf, would this be considered "ruthless," 😂😂😂😂😂

Had this been said in any of the football locker rooms that I had the privilege of occupying for the better part of 17 seasons, we would have b**** slappedthe clown that said it😂😂

THIS is what's wrong with the game today!!

Its gotten so barbarous, brutal, ferocious &....

RUTHLESS!!!

I'm not even gonna comment on the author of this article as he is employed by the Man😂😂🤙

Hey, it's Tuesday morning, I'm bored and it's just sinking in that I pissed away $2500 and didn't even have fun doin it!!

Now THAT sux😜🤪

Not to worry, I've endured worse😊

"STEP ON THEIR NECKS"

"RUTHLESS"

Thank the Good Lord above that one, Tiger🐅 is injured and unable to lead this pack of Barbarians, and secondly, that metal spikes are banned, or this woulda been a friggin Blood Bath!!

Fairways Greens & Fair Skies 4ever My Friends
RP

A4695BCE-8156-42FA-828B-4156DE999891.jpeg

BB61B399-F84C-46C8-AE41-432F2CCC99C1.jpeg

Hell, I told my partner that in a 2v2 scramble with buddies.  He was feeling sympathy because we were 7 up (lucky string of birdies) at the turn and got all wishy washy and we bogied 14 and 15 after going 9 up.  We play match and stroke so we play all 18 regardless of the match score.  3 way Nassau and presses.  We were not going to lose the back 9.

Edited by Naptime
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, gioguy21 said:

i feel like the team we had -- anyone could've been captain and they were goin to beat up Europe...

Well, I don't know about anyone, cuz I believe that there were a few in the mix who would screw up a wet....

ah, forget it, you're right😜

Have a great day Brotha👊
RP

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

2 hours ago, JaNelson38 said:

Couples will be 67 in 2027, and without a doubt completely detached from any of these young guys currently making up the core of the team.  Freddie barely even plays on the Champions Tour anymore.  That's not necessarily a bad thing, but does the US want a captain that barely picks up the clubs anymore?

One of the reasons why Stricker is so respected and liked by his peers is because he has backed it up on course - he's played with all of these guys and still been somewhat competitive on Tour (cripes, he almost won in Phoenix in February).  Zach Johnson the same way, although to a bit lesser extent.  Of course, Phil and Tiger too.  I think Freddie was involved at WS mainly because he is one of Strick's best friends.....I cen't remember off-hand, but I dont think he was a vice captain in Paris under Furyk.

The one thing about running Stricker back in Rome is that he won't have a lot of the other 'stuff' he had to deal with at WS.  He won't have to worry about anything regarding course set up, or how things are run, all of the infrastructure stuff, etc....the Europeans are the hosts.  All he has to do is basically decide the players.  Its far less on his plate than what he had for this past Ryder Cup.

I have no idea on the leadership style of a guy like Matt Kuchar, or a guy like David Toms. Or how fellow players feel about either of them. But I think either one of those guys may get a look at captaincy before Freddie.

I do agree with the previous post that whomever is named as vice captains for Rome will be in the succession line.  We know Phil and Tiger will certainly be there.  Who the other vices will be is the big question.

While I agree with your thoughts on this, there are some guys for whom their chronological numbered age is just that...

A number

Then there are others for whom that number represents a badge of honor, a link to an era, and ultimately, ala Tom Watson(Whom I think the world of and respect greatly), a lead ball around their neck. 

For Freddy, except physically, where he's a massive train wreck, his age is nothing more than an irrelevant number.

As any of the regular members know, I've never been a big, or even little, fan of Freddy, however that said, he does not act his age, he still Plays off-season games with a lot of these guys, including Dustin, Harris & Tony Finau, who I believe to be three of the older members of the team, and his personality is such that, when he chooses to, he gets along with guys of ANY age.

He also was a 3-Time victorious President Cup non-playing Captain, the last in 2013, so he knows what to do, when to do it and most importantly what not to do, what NOT to say and when to keep his thoughts in his head, which is not easy for any of these guys, especially the younger ones who every thought ends up on some social media venue.

All this said, I would have to agree with ya that Freddy's ship🚢 has sailed.

Jesus, I posted a positive post about Norman, I'm defending Freddy, WTF😝

I liked myself better on meds😜🤪

Great post👊

Stay Well🍻

RP

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

There is a potential cat amongst the pigeons.  Was listening to Faxon on Breed's show today.  Everyone assumes Mickelson for Bethpage.  But in a couple weeks, the Saudi Golf League announcement will happen, and if he is part of that, forget about him being a captain.  The establishment doesn't like it when someone goes against the establishment.  

Things could get real interesting. 

• Like 1

I'm a no on Phil ever captaining.

I think what Stricker showed is that it's not rocket science.  Let the players lead, help set their own schedules, and go play golf.  You don't need inspirational videos or have to tie the players up with a rigid schedule every day aside from dinners and such.

A guy like Phil thinks he's the smartest guy in the room - I guarantee you he's thinking "If I was captain, we'd have had 21 points, not 19" and will do something quirky that will blow up in thei face.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 10:24 AM, Stetson884 said:

Fred would get lost driving to the course.  

"I thought it was a left turn because most turns are left and then after I found it was right I didn't know if they said left was right or right was right.  We'll win if they don't hit too many mediocre shots but if we hit mediocre shots we probably won't win unless we end up sweeping the singles."

Even though I have always like Stricker and Azinger, two winners, neither were direct factors in their teams winning.  I did like Azinger bringing in familiar Seal team leadership training, though.  It really helped.

What helped our team to win was the young men came in with more "I am proud to represent America" attitude, and they wanted to win for America.  Plus, they had a bit more chemistry than teams past.

People keep forgetting - The Ryder Cup is NOT just golf but a contemporary David against Goliath 3-day event.  Team members must come with a deeply seated proud desire to win for their country.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

12 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Even though I have always like Stricker and Azinger, two winners, neither were direct factors in their teams winning.  I did like Azinger bringing in familiar Seal team leadership training, though.  It really helped.

What helped our team to win was the young men came in with more "I am proud to represent America" attitude, and they wanted to win for America.  Plus, they had a bit more chemistry than teams past.

People keep forgetting - The Ryder Cup is NOT just golf but a contemporary David against Goliath 3-day event.  Team members must come with a deeply seated proud desire to win for their country.

Or rhetoric aside, just the more talented US team played to their abilities and boat raced a team that didn't have as much firepower. 

• Like 3

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

Walk away Steve.

Vindicated on your picks, and for your handling of the Reed situation. Being able to nullify the Brooks/Bryson spat.

Knowing that your decisions and pairings were inspired, and that your understated humble manor allowed your team to shine.

From the other side it was like watching a horror movie unfold from start to finish. However it was still possible to appreciate how effective the whole US team was and the level of play.

Go out on a high. 

Roll on Rome!

• Like 2

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

5 hours ago, bubbagump said:

Or rhetoric aside, just the more talented US team played to their abilities and boat raced a team that didn't have as much firepower. 

you and i could've captained this team to a win ... "who wants to play together? ... we want brut or dry champagne for the celebration?" ... that'd be that ... 

21 hours ago, King_Slender said:

I'm a no on Phil ever captaining.

I think what Stricker showed is that it's not rocket science.  Let the players lead, help set their own schedules, and go play golf.  You don't need inspirational videos or have to tie the players up with a rigid schedule every day aside from dinners and such.

A guy like Phil thinks he's the smartest guy in the room - I guarantee you he's thinking "If I was captain, we'd have had 21 points, not 19" and will do something quirky that will blow up in thei face.

I don't think any captain in the past wanted players having to go to black tie dinners, etc., once the event was on in the past, but until it became a "crisis" that the US wasn't winning more, the suits always overruled because they wanted their perks honored, and likely rings kissed.  But once they stopped winning at least half the time, you could finally get through that all the glad handing demands(that is what they are) was detracting from the team's performance.

I actually think Stricker showed what a captain can do.  He went to bat for the guys(as described above), he made some good, controversial picks that some other captains may not have made, he got everybody out the first day, and made good pairings.  

It was on a different discussion board for a different sport but it fits:  the players are the ones who play, but the suits are the ones who put them there.   

• Like 1