Percentage of go kids who get cut after 1st year in College

I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but the only time I've ever heard of any golfers (boys or girls) getting "cut" was because they either had off the course issues (failed drug tests, trouble with the police, etc.) or because they literally were failing all of their classes and were not academically eligible to remain enrolled at that school.

I've never once heard of anyone getting let go from a team because of their performance. Sports (especially golf) has a ton of ups and downs, and coaches know this. Just because you performed poor one semester or one year doesn't mean you won't quickly turn it around.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but the only time I've ever heard of any golfers (boys or girls) getting "cut" was because they either had off the course issues (failed drug tests, trouble with the police, etc.) or because they literally were failing all of their classes and were not academically eligible to remain enrolled at that school.

I've never once heard of anyone getting let go from a team because of their performance. Sports (especially golf) has a ton of ups and downs, and coaches know this. Just because you performed poor one semester or one year doesn't mean you won't quickly turn it around.

Some kids do not like being away from home and their parents. Other do not adjust well and I heard of a few that just didn't pan out or can't stand the coach after they are on the team..

A lot kids also transfer which I don't think is a great thing for their education either. I would think it makes sense from a education standpoint to be able to complete 4 a year degree where you start.

I asked this question because in a few amateurs events we played with the girls in college talked about how common it is to have kids that just do not fit well for the team and just kind of disappear after the first year and few mentioned that if they don't improve they may lose their scholarship money.

Edited by tiger1873

17 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

Some kids do not like being away from home and their parents. Other do not adjust well and I heard of a few that just didn't pan out or can't stand the coach after they are on the team..

A lot kids also transfer which I don't think is a great thing for their education either. I would think it makes sense from a education standpoint to be able to complete 4 a year degree where you start.

I asked this question because in a few amateurs events we played with the girls in college talked about how common it is to have kids that just do not fit well for the team and just kind of disappear and few mentioned that if they don't improve they may lose their scholarship money.

All of these examples involve a player leaving voluntarily. These aren't examples of being "cut" from a team. It might be a good idea to change the title of your thread to reflect what you are trying to discuss if you want a more engaged conversation.

I played golf for 4 years in college and know dozens if not hundreds of others who did the same. Again, I've never heard of a single person losing their scholarship for on-course performance reasons. I'm sure it has happened at some point in time to someone somewhere, but I know from first hand experience that it is something that would be EXTREMELY rare especially in golf. 

• Like 4

I did not play college golf, but I did play college baseball. In my experience, usually the coach makes promises and the freshman will show up with unreal expectations. Then the player finds out that he is third string with low chances of seeing playing time in his first few years. So the freshman then decides to transfer to somewhere that he is more likely to see playing time.

• Like 2

Driver: Wishon 919 THI 11* Motore Speeder 7.3 TS X

4 Wood: Wishon 949 MC 16.5* Motore Speeder 8.3 TS X

3 Hybrid: Wishon 335 HL 21* Motore Speeder 9.3 TS X

4-Utility: Wishon 585 HI 24* Project X 6.5

Irons: 5-9 Wishon 555C/M Project X 6.5

Wedges: Wishon PFC Micro Tour 48*,52*,56*, 60* Rifle Spinner 6.5

Putter: Wishon Smooth Series 1

3 hours ago, Abh159 said:

All of these examples involve a player leaving voluntarily. These aren't examples of being "cut" from a team. It might be a good idea to change the title of your thread to reflect what you are trying to discuss if you want a more engaged conversation.

I played golf for 4 years in college and know dozens if not hundreds of others who did the same. Again, I've never heard of a single person losing their scholarship for on-course performance reasons. I'm sure it has happened at some point in time to someone somewhere, but I know from first hand experience that it is something that would be EXTREMELY rare especially in golf. 

I am more worried about what happens after the first year.  If you lose your scholarship then it going to be an issue,   It seems to me that seeking out a high ranking school is maybe not in your interest unless you looking to perhaps go pro.  The more I look at schools d2 or a lower ranked D1 seems to be the sweet spot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turles20 said:

I did not play college golf, but I did play college baseball. In my experience, usually the coach makes promises and the freshman will show up with unreal expectations. Then the player finds out that he is third string with low chances of seeing playing time in his first few years. So the freshman then decides to transfer to somewhere that he is more likely to see playing time.

"I heard that a lot kids don't cut in college and get dropped after the 1st year / semester.  Not sure the percentage but a few people told me it's a high number especially for girls. "

Still nothing to do with losing the scholarship.  This is when you as a family and player need to determine during the recruiting what are you looking for.

Yes, I can get a book scholarship at U of Florida but I might not ever see the course.  Does the coach envision me starting in my Junior year.?

Son's coach told one kid dont look to start until Spring of Sophomore year if you develop and work on his game.

To @Abh159point kids leave.  This kid apparently thought the coach was BSing so he is transferring.

23 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

I am more worried about what happens after the first year.  If you lose your scholarship then it going to be an issue,   It seems to me that seeking out a high ranking school is maybe not in your interest unless you looking to perhaps go pro.  The more I look at schools d2 or a lower ranked D1 seems to be the sweet spot.

What exactly are you worried about??

As I've mentioned several times already, it is EXTREMELY, EXTREMELY RARE that someone would be kicked off a team or lose their scholarship over on-course performance. Granted, if they showed up on day 1 and all of a sudden couldn't break 90 for 2 years then that is a different story. However, college golf coaches know that players will go through hot and cold streaks so they aren't going to strip someone of their scholarship over a bad semester or one bad year. 

If you are fortunate enough to have your choice in where you go play college golf you end up with this dilemma... Go to a smaller, less competitive school where you are "guaranteed" to be the star, or go to a big time (relative) program where you might actually have to work hard to earn playing time. Personally I'd chose the latter 100 times out of 100 and anyone who is even remotely competitive would want to do the same...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

What exactly are you worried about??

As I've mentioned several times already, it is EXTREMELY, EXTREMELY RARE that someone would be kicked off a team or lose their scholarship over on-course performance. Granted, if they showed up on day 1 and all of a sudden couldn't break 90 for 2 years then that is a different story. However, college golf coaches know that players will go through hot and cold streaks so they aren't going to strip someone of their scholarship over a bad semester or one bad year. 

If you are fortunate enough to have your choice in where you go play college golf you end up with this dilemma... Go to a smaller, less competitive school where you are "guaranteed" to be the star, or go to a big time (relative) program where you might actually have to work hard to earn playing time. Personally I'd chose the latter 100 times out of 100 and anyone who is even remotely competitive would want to do the same...

As a parent looking at different options in the next few years I am concerned about my kid getting a decent education.  

I looked at plenty of rosters and they change quite a bit.  This indicates either someone was not happy or they left.  No need to read more into this than that.   Players not graduating in 4 years to me is a red flag.  May not be a deal breaker but if the majority don't graduate I would tend to think there are issues.

I really don't care if there officially kicked off or encouraged to be transferred. They may not be officially kicked off.   But being encouraged to leave is the same thing. 

Very few players turn pro that play college golf. unless you turn pro being in a NCAA final doesn't mean much but a decent education does.

How many college kids go on to being a pro????? hardly any in the big picture.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, kekoa said:

We have been to a few golf camps at top D1 colleges and the coaches were asked about this topic and both said it is very...very...very...very rare.  Basically almost never happens.  

There not going to tell you the negatives in golf camps.   You have to talk to college players to get the real story.   Play  few amateurs go the dinners if they have them and you learn a lot.  The players loving college golf are many times in D2 schools.

Edited by tiger1873
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

There not going to tell you the negatives in golf camps.   You have to talk to college players to get the real story.   Play  few amateurs go the dinners if they have them and you learn a lot.  The players loving college golf are many times in D2 schools.

Didn't you hate on D2 schools about 6 months ago?

Honestly, there is a lot to digest in your posts.

You have to be happy where you end up playing.  The number 1 question your kids should ask themselves is " is this a place I can enjoy even without golf."

Not will I lose my scholarship.

I highly doubt another golfer will spill the beans on a program and give up all the inside secrets.

Most people IMHO probably think college is high school again just a little harder.

I can tell you my son's team has had issues with folks showing up to team lifts.

Here is an overview of his schedule.  He is on an ROTC scholarship kid and a Golf athletic scholarship.

Monday  is something like 2 classes in the morning. Practice 2:30-5.  Usually range and as holes as possible
Tuesday 600-0650 ROTC PT, 0700-0800 Golf PT, Laundry, Practice 2:30-5  -  ROTC class 7-9:30pm off campus.  Its a mile walk from the parking lot to his dorm.
Wednesday 0600-0700 ROTC PT 2 classes in the morning. Practice 2:30-5
Thursday 600-0650 ROTC PT - 0700-0800 Golf PT -  Practice 2:30-5  2 Online classes
Friday 2 classes in the morning Practice 2:30-5

Saturday and Sunday Practice rounds.  Homework.

Usually student stuff.  Laundry, groceries, etc.

• Like 2

Based on the comments and what I am reading you can't lose you scholarship based on Athletic performance.

How ever it appears that when it comes time to renew anything can happen.   

Looking over rosters I can already see issues with some schools. Others seem to be pretty loyal. A few top D1 programs seem to churn through a lot players.

3 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

Based on the comments and what I am reading you can't lose you scholarship based on Athletic performance.

How ever it appears that when it comes time to renew anything can happen.   

Looking over rosters I can already see issues with some schools. Others seem to be pretty loyal. A few top D1 programs seem to churn through a lot players.

A coach can ask a player to take less money to benefit the team in landing a new recruit.  Doesn't mean the player has to, but will probably irritate the coach if you don't.

My daughter had a great collegiate experience.  Her golf experience was ruined by coaching tyrants at her University.  6 of the first 7 signees to this program filed a complaint with the athletic program under allegations of racism, sexual harassment, and mental abuse.  There were also NCAA violations that were minor and swept under the rug, but did violate practice time standards.  The Head Coach would threaten money to the girls when she didn't get what they want out of them.  The University did an internal investigation and asked the head coach to leave or be fired.  There are benefits for the coach to resign rather than be fired.  Assistants are generally on a 1 year contract and his was not renewed.  Unfortunately for an SEC school, they picked up the assistant coach who was in the middle of the racism and sexual harassment controversy.  

Understand one thing, even with attorneys as well as advocacy groups, and complaints involved, the entire NCAA system is set up to protect the University and Coaches.  It isn't often that a University will get rid of coaches because of the things I mentioned above because it is an image thing and an admission of guilt.  For this school to release the coaches is a big deal.

Bottom line, know what you are getting into and ask questions.  People aren't always who you think they are.  There were red flags the first month my daughter was on campus.  Things like this are uncommon, but they do happen. I am not going to say any more, but if anyone wants to PM me, feel free.

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, pbuck said:

I graduated recently and played 4 years in college for a top 30 program. I'm not sure where this information is from either. I've only seen this happen once, and it was a player that had been injured so many times he was unable to play. Any coach that would "cut" a player would have to have a very legitimate reason, because this decision would most likely have to be carried out through the AD as well. I had many friends who were recruited for top 20 teams and only played a few events in their entire 4 years, they still weren't cut. Coaches will DEFINITELY reduce your scholarship, but not your spot on a team. I wouldn't believe your sources on this. 

To me losing scholarship money or not being able to play because of team politics is just as bad being cut.   I would think the coach and players and even school know the best way to get rid of someone is to get them to transfer. 

no-one likes to talk about it but there is a lot churn of both players and coaches that move around. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, chrissdc said:

A player cannot lose athletic scholarship money due to athletic performance.

What they offer the first year has to be carried or increased every year.

A player can only lose athletic money if they mess up off the course, poor grades, behavioral issues etc.

Unless the NIL shows a decrease after signed for the first year.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tiger1873 said:

To me losing scholarship money or not being able to play because of team politics is just as bad being cut.   I would think the coach and players and even school know the best way to get rid of someone is to get them to transfer. 

no-one likes to talk about it but there is a lot churn of both players and coaches that move around. 

I don't know why we're talking about it like it's taboo, people transfer, it's completely normal. It's no different than a new employee not liking his boss and finding another job a year later. The transfer process is a hassle and it has to be initiated by the player, not the coach. Plenty of people get recruited by Illinois, OSU, Texas, and Stanford, then when reality hits and they transfer. 

Sure I guess a coach can be a ****** and put a player in the dark until he transfers, but if you don't spot that cutthroat character in a coach in the recruiting process then that's on you.

16 hours ago, chrissdc said:

A player cannot lose athletic scholarship money due to athletic performance.

What they offer the first year has to be carried or increased every year.

A player can only lose athletic money if they mess up off the course, poor grades, behavioral issues etc.

This is not true... I know from first hand experience the University of Tennessee for a long time has promised kids a full ride scholarship as a recruiting tactic then slowly decreases their scholarship throughout their college career. 

Where are you getting this from?

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 10:17 AM, tiger1873 said:

1/4 scholarships for college golf are  usual, half less common, and full scholarships are rare. If a kid's golf course performance does not justify him/her earning a scholarship for the next year, he/she is still welcome to stay in the program and compete for a spot on the team's  tournament roster. 

• Like 2

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

36 minutes ago, pbuck said:

This is not true... I know from first hand experience the University of Tennessee for a long time has promised kids a full ride scholarship as a recruiting tactic then slowly decreases their scholarship throughout their college career. 

Where are you getting this from?

I am basing it off casual conversations and the numerous websites out there I already posted one above but here is another one below that explains it pretty well.

Most scholarships are a 1 year contracts from my understanding. So if that is case it's easy to see how things can change year to year.

https://www.athleticscholarships.net/question/can-a-coach-take-away-my-scholarship-without-telling-me

Edited by tiger1873

1 minute ago, tiger1873 said:

I am basing it off casual conversations and the numerous websites out there I already posted on but here is another one.

Most scholarships are a 1 year contract from my understanding.

https://www.athleticscholarships.net/question/can-a-coach-take-away-my-scholarship-without-telling-me

Why are you so worried about this?  Perform and there won't be an issue.

• Like 3
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

1 minute ago, tiger1873 said:

I am basing it off casual conversations and the numerous websites out there I already posted on but here is another one.

Most scholarships are a 1 year contract from my understanding.

1 minute ago, leezer99 said:

Why are you so worried about this?  Perform and there won't be an issue.

Agreed! No athlete just loses their ability to compete the second they step foot on a college campus, unless they were wrongfully recruited (which happens). 

I don't think OP is actually reading into this, rather trying to stir up everyone.... 😑