Bargain tour-quality balls

playit

I haven't played in 8 years, but back when I was playing a LOT, a few years prior to that, I played Taylormade red or black. It was a tour-quality ball. I liked it as much or more than a ProV1. But one reason I played them was because I could find super deals and I don't know why that was, lol. But I'd buy several dozen for me and any friends who wanted any. Are there any balls these days where they have good sales? I mean, I could pick those balls up cheap relative to the normal price. Like, $20/doz and I think they sold for $35-$40 as I recall. Of course, I want distance, but I also want to be able to spin the ball on short wedge shots. And reasonable durability. You guys see anything like that these days where you can buy a bunch at big discount?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, playit said:

I haven't played in 8 years, but back when I was playing a LOT, a few years prior to that, I played Taylormade red or black. It was a tour-quality ball. I liked it as much or more than a ProV1. But one reason I played them was because I could find super deals and I don't know why that was, lol. But I'd buy several dozen for me and any friends who wanted any. Are there any balls these days where they have good sales? I mean, I could pick those balls up cheap relative to the normal price. Like, $20/doz and I think they sold for $35-$40 as I recall. Of course, I want distance, but I also want to be able to spin the ball on short wedge shots. And reasonable durability. You guys see anything like that these days where you can buy a bunch at big discount?

The first question I would have is what is your handicap and playing ability?  If low single digit or better then a tour caliber ball may be what you're wanting.  However, if you are upper single digit or higher and you don't want a rock hard ball and cost is an important factor I would also agree with Snell or Vice.  I would also consider the Costco Kirkland golf ball.  The Costco ball is a good ball with tour-like performance.  The high single digit and double digit handicap golfer most likely will not be able to discern the difference between this ball and a Titleist ProV1, Taylormade TP5 or comparable ball.  Cost wise the Costco will be among the best and provide a decent ball.

• Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I quit playing due to shoulder injury, got disgusted after I kept trying to come back post-surgery, doing exactly what they said. Prior to surgery, best hdcp index was +1.2.

Nobody is mentioning big discount sales. Do you still find these? I don't mean a couple bucks off. I mean, enough of a sale, you load up and buy dozens. Perhaps the market is not as competitive now, I dunno.

• Like 1

Practice ProV1 

Same thing as full price ones 

• Like 1

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

This is a good option: The Srixon Z-star.  I play these or the XV, whichever is on sale. My SS is 105-110 but I can't discern a difference. 

$25 is as cheap as you will find for a tour-level 3-piece ball.  I also concur with the others: Mizuno RB, Snell, and Vice are great as well.  They all work well enough for me; 5HC here. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Srixon-Z-Star-Golf-Balls-12-Pack/573611830

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, playit said:

I quit playing due to shoulder injury, got disgusted after I kept trying to come back post-surgery, doing exactly what they said. Prior to surgery, best hdcp index was +1.2.

Nobody is mentioning big discount sales. Do you still find these? I don't mean a couple bucks off. I mean, enough of a sale, you load up and buy dozens. Perhaps the market is not as competitive now, I dunno.

Usually in the next few months you'll see Srixons go for $20-25 per dozen, but there hasn't been much lately. Things are different in the golf industry right now, you don't find a ton of blowout deals like you used to. Demand is up and supply seems to be interrupted. I'd look at the Maxfli Tour 2019 ball at Dicks or Golf Galaxy at 2 for $45 right now.

2 minutes ago, playit said:

But, I assume these are not legal to play in events.

Practice balls are conforming.  Treated the same as logo balls.  TP5 and TP5X practice balls are also out there for decent prices.  Usually less than ProV1 practice balls.  Prior models of many balls can be found at discounted rates.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RFMedic said:

I saw Maxfli's on sale the other day 2 dozen for $35 at Golf Galaxy

That's a common price for many Maxfli surlyn balls but would be equivalent to a BOGO deal for the Maxfli Tour and Tour X which are their urethane models.  I don't think I've seen them do a deal like that in well over a year.  Even the current 2 for $45 on the prior generation is better than I've seen in quite some time.  

4 minutes ago, cardigan said:

That's a common price for many Maxfli surlyn balls but would be equivalent to a BOGO deal for the Maxfli Tour and Tour X which are their urethane models.  I don't think I've seen them do a deal like that in well over a year.  Even the current 2 for $45 on the prior generation is better than I've seen in quite some time.  

Yeah, when I started playing again summer of 2020, everyone talked about how good of a deal balls were in the fall, but I didn't really see it.  Not only are more people taking up the sport, but the ones playing now are the ones losing the most balls.  It must be great for manufacturers when not only are more people playing, but the average handicap on the course has risen!  That is winning the lotto twice in a week! 

Case in point; I was teeing off on the executive course nearby. There were 3 guys teeing off in front of me.  The path to the green is approximately 40 yards wide, with water on both sides but ending 20 yards shorter from the green.  Their tee is from 135 yards.  They lost 6 balls (3/3/1).  Not only did they have to be at least 20 yards offline with their wedges, but they had to be 20 yards short as well.  Then, they were taking multiple putts on the green and taking forever to tee off (5 minutes in some cases).  It turned what is normally a 50-55 minute round with nobody in front of me to a 2:15 round.  

OT I know, but crap like that makes me want to find a private course to join  

• Like 1

I'd give the Maxfli Tour's a try. All of the testing I've seen through forums and you tube show they may be 1-2 yards shorter and spin the same as a Pro V. People here don't like it I guess because they have the titleist hat, glove bag and clubs they've payed 3k for so they have to play the $50 per dozen ball to match, but I bet you will find if you covered the logos, 95/100 here couldn't tell the difference. 

• Like 1

I have played Srixon ZStar & XV, Maxfli Tour CG Gloss, and Snell MTBX- have had great experiences with all of these, little to no drop off from the best balls and all about $30-35/dozen if you pick your spots. I did not have good experiences with Mizuno and ProV1 Practice (almost all are V1xs and mostly '17, '19 models, some '15 models. Also, the V1x isn't a great ball for me to start)

1 hour ago, Londo said:

I have played Srixon ZStar & XV, Maxfli Tour CG Gloss, and Snell MTBX- have had great experiences with all of these, little to no drop off from the best balls and all about $30-35/dozen if you pick your spots. I did not have good experiences with Mizuno and ProV1 Practice (almost all are V1xs and mostly '17, '19 models, some '15 models. Also, the V1x isn't a great ball for me to start)

For practice balls, I'd recommend only buying balls where the year and model are indicated.  Typically they will be unboxed.  You may have to shop around for Titleist (you never know what you are going to get in their official boxes of practice balls).  TP5 and TPX practice balls with the year and standard vs X listed are available at a bunch of places online.

20 minutes ago, J Wheazy said:

Anyone try the Calaway Diablo Tours?  Dicks usually has a sale, 2 dozen for $45 or something like that.  I like them

Those are surlyn balls so they wouldn't be considered "tour quality".  Callaway typically has a few similar but not necessarily identical (but likely identical in some cases) balls in that space that appear to be made for certain retailers (DSG, Costco, etc.).  When Costco has a ball, it's usually a much better deal.  Most recently the Hex Tour was available at Costco at 2 dozen for $30.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2021 at 4:48 PM, RoyalMustang said:

My local course has TP5X for only $14.95 (per sleeve). Is that a good deal? 

Five bucks apiece is no bargain. You can find them for $40 a dozen. 

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

On 9/28/2021 at 1:14 PM, RobotDoctor said:

The first question I would have is what is your handicap and playing ability?  If low single digit or better then a tour caliber ball may be what you're wanting.  However, if you are upper single digit or higher and you don't want a rock hard ball and cost is an important factor I would also agree with Snell or Vice.  I would also consider the Costco Kirkland golf ball.  The Costco ball is a good ball with tour-like performance.  The high single digit and double digit handicap golfer most likely will not be able to discern the difference between this ball and a Titleist ProV1, Taylormade TP5 or comparable ball.  Cost wise the Costco will be among the best and provide a decent ball.

What would be a good, inexpensive ball for someone like me, who's HC is about 100-110(high HC). I certainly can't afford(& won't buy) Pro-V1's. I liked the Maxfli Noodle for a bit, but I also like the Wilson Duo Soft.

You have any suggestions (ANYONE can chime in here, please 🙂 )?

14 hours ago, cardigan said:

When Costco has a ball, it's usually a much better deal.  Most recently the Hex Tour was available at Costco at 2 dozen for $30.

Are the Hex Tour balls the Kirkland's, or is that the actual name(brand) of them?

Oh, & please pardon my idiocy here, but what's a "Surlyn" ball(& me being a high HC) is this a good or bad thing, in terms of: Should I use "Surlyn" balls, or a different kind, as with my HC, I don't think it really matters much?

Wilson Staff at some point will deeply discount their tour ball and I have purchased them for as low as $17.95 a dozen which is a steal as I believe they are the best tour ball made and often are overlooked.  This year may be different though because there is a golf ball materials shortage so golf balls may not get discounted this year because of the shortage of golf ball making supplies so you may not find as good of a deal this year.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Righty to Lefty said:

Wilson Staff at some point will deeply discount their tour ball and I have purchased them for as low as $17.95 a dozen which is a steal as I believe they are the best tour ball made and often are overlooked.  This year may be different though because there is a golf ball materials shortage so golf balls may not get discounted this year because of the shortage of golf ball making supplies so you may not find as good of a deal this year.  

Yeah, I really like the Wilson Duo Softs, I think they're great & seem to play ok. I like Maxfli Noodles too & have never had issues with them.

Wilson's stuff is great & often overlooked. My buddy loves WS stuff, thinks their drivers are fantastic.

Oh yeah, Shhhh!(I don't care, this is for EVERYONE to know & use 🙂 ). It's a "secret" 🙂 I was just @ Big 5 earlier Wednesday & I overheard a manager(I think) claiming, they're going to be having a huge sale on golf balls soon(like real soon from what I gathered), so keep your eyes out anyone /everyone interested, there might be some good deals to be had soon. Also, Keep in mind, X Mas is just 3 mos away, so some places might be anxious to have "door buster" like sales.

Edited by GolferJeff
  • Like 1

Just now, GolferJeff said:

Yeah, I really like the Wilson Duo Softs, I think they're great & seem to play ok. I like Maxfli Noodles too & have never had issues with them.

Wilson's stuff is great & often overlooked. My buddy loves WS stuff, thinks their drivers are fantastic.

I will never pay 44 a dozen for anyone's golf ball but the  Wilson Staff FG tour golf ball from last year is fantastic as were the previous generations.  I haven't hit their current tour ball because they haven't been discounted yet, but I'm sure they are great also.  The FG Tour X ball from a few years ago is the single best golf ball I have ever played.  I tested it against 9 other tour balls and the results were quite eye opening.  I then bought 29 dozen of them at $17.95 a dozen but am now down to 7 or 8 dozen and the day that I run out I will shed a tear!! Their newer versions are good also but that FG Tour X showed me that all golf balls are not created equal.  

• Like 2

Srixon z stars are sold as a bogo around Father’s Day.  There are also the Taylormade tp5 practice balls.  At around 20$ a dozen they are a great value.  Usually I can’t find what the aesthetic issue is or it is just a slight out of alignment with the graphics/lettering.

the max fli tour at dicks and gold galaxy are also a good value.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Righty to Lefty said:

I will never pay 44 a dozen for anyone's golf ball but the  Wilson Staff FG tour golf ball from last year is fantastic as were the previous generations.  I haven't hit their current tour ball because they haven't been discounted yet, but I'm sure they are great also.  The FG Tour X ball from a few years ago is the single best golf ball I have ever played.  I tested it against 9 other tour balls and the results were quite eye opening.  I then bought 29 dozen of them at $17.95 a dozen but am now down to 7 or 8 dozen and the day that I run out I will shed a tear!! Their newer versions are good also but that FG Tour X showed me that all golf balls are not created equal.  

That's for sure. I also try to avoid using white balls, I prefer Blue, Orange & Yellow, as they're much easier for me to see & find if I need to.

Yeah, Walmart has pretty good deals on gbs usually. I just go there, Big 5, or Roger Dunn. I'm a bargain shopper(have to be on my extremely tight budget). But will shop anywhere that's affordable.