Maybe the easiest "ground force" concept to implement?

me05501

This video popped up a week or so ago, and it seemed like such a simple way to feel ground forces that I had to try it. I'm liking what I'm seeing in terms of ball flight, accuracy and speed/distance.

There are three simple ideas here: 

• Squat a bit in the backswing to get down into the ground and load your lower body
  • Explode up through impact, especially with the lead leg
  • Turn aggressively through and beyond impact 

Between this concept and Monte's recent output I'm starting to see the results that I want, and it seems both simple and repeatable.

I've got a golf weekend coming up Fri-Sun...hoping I can stay committed to these feels throughout. 

Callaway Big Bertha 21 9* w/ HZRDUS Yellow 6.0

Callaway Mavrik Max 3+

Callaway Rogue 4 wood

Srixon ZU85 4/23

Srixon Z565 w/ Matrix Ozik F15 shafts 5-PW

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX4 54* and 58*

Cleveland Huntington Beach #11S

1 hour ago, me05501 said:

This video popped up a week or so ago, and it seemed like such a simple way to feel ground forces that I had to try it. I'm liking what I'm seeing in terms of ball flight, accuracy and speed/distance.

There are three simple ideas here: 

• Squat a bit in the backswing to get down into the ground and load your lower body
  • Explode up through impact, especially with the lead leg
  • Turn aggressively through and beyond impact 

Between this concept and Monte's recent output I'm starting to see the results that I want, and it seems both simple and repeatable.

I've got a golf weekend coming up Fri-Sun...hoping I can stay committed to these feels throughout. 

Hmm… I’d take issue with describing it as squatting in the backswing. If anything the trail leg is extending in a good swing in the backswing. Any squatting movement would occur in transition. The slight lowering of the head occurs from hip depth and front lateral bend.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Snarkesor said:

Hmm… I’d take issue with describing it as squatting in the backswing. If anything the trail leg is extending in a good swing in the backswing. Any squatting movement would occur in transition. The slight lowering of the head occurs from hip depth and front lateral bend.

Yes on reflection my understanding but push through (for want of a better term ) from a slight squat still relevant.

Edit: wonder if this was what Chipa was trying to describe with his push from right leg....or am I totally off the mark here!

Edited by Nickc

1 hour ago, Snarkesor said:

I agree, thinking squat in the backswing could be hazardous for some people. I used to squat right off the ball and my trail knee would actually increase in flex. As you could imagine, my tilts were way off and I had no extension of the spine. I was incredibly inconsistent. Had to learn to pivot better.

I think extension, squat, extension is a much better way to think about using the ground.

Doesn't this get into something that I've been trying to figure out lately. You are supposed to "extend."  Early extension is literally just doing that too early. Is this correct way to think of it?

The thing is, before I started taking golf lessons, tried everything to stop early extending, etc. when I timed my crazy steep swing correctly, and extended a lot (but technically early), I think I was getting a lot of power.  It's just hard to play consistent golf that way.  The weird thing is, with all my focus on not humping the goat, it's like I've trained all that natural extension out of me that, instinctually, wasn't completely incorrect, just early.

Am I making any sense? lol

Edited by chigolfer1

Who is this monte person.... I keep seeing people mention him

• Haha 1

Ping G400/ Ping tour 65 s

Ping 410 3w / Ping tour 65 s 

Nike VRS covert 5w/ kurokage black s

Titleist 718 T-mb 4 iron / amt white s300

Titleist 716 AP2 5-pw/ amt white s300

Cleveland Rtx4  48(bent to 50)mid, 54 mid, 58 mid / dynamic gold s400

Nike midnight method 006/ Black SS Gt 1.0 w 25g counter core.

On 9/28/2021 at 2:22 PM, Snarkesor said:

Yeah it’s just semantics really, but I think the term squat could lead to some misinterpretations.

It's not just semantics, it's inherently incorrect and important to point out. The "squat" should not occur in the backswing, it should be happening early in transition. When this guy is squating in the backswing he is maintaining too much flex of his trail knee. For the backswing it's the opposite, you should be extending/getting taller, such that you can squat/regain flexion in the transition, and then extend through impact. Lot's of amateur's don't properly extend in the backswing which causes a cascading effect of compensations (early extension being one of them)

Monte has a ton of material on the proper sequence, AMG calls it surfing down hill I think, Jake Hutt says Tall/Small/Tall, GG says t*ts up, d*ck down

Edited by Krt22
  • Like 2

Think about how you'd lower your hips if you were about to tackle someone, you'd have to bend your knees. And then think about if you were to transfer your weight from your strong side to your finish side while in this tackling position and how you have to rise out of this squat to complete your swing.

• Like 1

TaylorMade JDM SLDR TP 430 10*         Diamana X-17 60X

TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15*                            Diamana ZF 80TX

Bridgestone J33 AirMuscle 19*                Velyx Rome Wildeye 988X
MIURA CB 57  4-6                                     MCI MMT-125TX

MIURA MB-101  7-P                                   MCI MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Proto  52, 57, 60                      MCI MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 1.5 34/350 Beached Prototype (A010656)

52 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

It's not just semantics, it's inherently incorrect and important to point out. The "squat" should not occur in the backswing, it should be happening early in transition. When this guy is squating in transition he is maintaining too much flex of his trail knee. For the backswing it's the opposite, you should be extending/getting taller, such that you can squat/regain flexion in the transition, and then extend through impact. Lot's of amateur's don't properly extend in the backswing which causes a cascading effect of compensations (early extension being one of them)

Monte has a ton of material on the proper sequence, AMG calls it surfing down hill I think, Jake Hutt says Tall/Small/Tall, GG says t*ts up, d*ck down

You're correct, of course. If all someone did going back was to squat deeply, with a limited turn and level hips like a shortstop it wouldn’t be a good move. But if that feel is combined with making a good turn back and not swaying off the ball, it’s really just another way to feel loading. Your lead hip will still be a little lower than your trail hip. You may feel like you’re squatting but it’s really just feeling proper loading without losing your posture. 

I follow the guy who made the vid and I don’t count him among my favorite instructors at all. His own ball flight tends to be low and hooky and not what I’m after. But the concepts in this video are working well for me and give me something positive and athletic to think about. That’s something I definitely need, but others maybe not so much. 

Callaway Mavrik Max 3+

Callaway Rogue 4 wood

Srixon ZU85 4/23

Srixon Z785 AW

2 hours ago, Krt22 said:

It's not just semantics, it's inherently incorrect and important to point out. The "squat" should not occur in the backswing, it should be happening early in transition. When this guy is squating in transition he is maintaining too much flex of his trail knee. For the backswing it's the opposite, you should be extending/getting taller, such that you can squat/regain flexion in the transition, and then extend through impact. Lot's of amateur's don't properly extend in the backswing which causes a cascading effect of compensations (early extension being one of them)

Yeah perhaps I was being too charitable. I really like Gankas’ idea of 2 out of 3 extensions on the backswing: trail leg, thoracic spine, but NOT lumbar/pelvis. Keeping that front/side bend intact in the backswing has been crucial to me.

1 hour ago, me05501 said:

You're correct, of course. If all someone did going back was to squat deeply, with a limited turn and level hips like a shortstop it wouldn’t be a good move. But if that feel is combined with making a good turn back and not swaying off the ball, it’s really just another way to feel loading. Your lead hip will still be a little lower than your trail hip. You may feel like you’re squatting but it’s really just feeling proper loading without losing your posture. 

I follow the guy who made the vid and I don’t count him among my favorite instructors at all. His own ball flight tends to be low and hooky and not what I’m after. But the concepts in this video are working well for me and give me something positive and athletic to think about. That’s something I definitely need, but others maybe not so much. 

The issue is in the video you can see him rehearsing adding trail knee flex in his effort to squat in the backswing. The under-educated golfer can easily do exactly that and make their swing worse. Low and hooky is common for someone who doesn’t properly extend in the backswing (speaking from experience, it’s my core swing flaw)

• Like 1

I can't bring myself to watch the video. I going to assume the theme is for anyone or everyone to become a jumper. Well, you know what, not everyone should be a jumper.

Dustin Johnson could start jumping and probably never make another cut.

This is everything that's wrong with golf instruction and YouTube. It's like reading the jacket cover jacket of book and thinking you know everything inside. I guess it's just the new normal.

What is the number one parameter that determines and matches if someone should be a jumper? Anyone want to guess?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soloman1 said:

I can't bring myself to watch the video. I going to assume the theme is for anyone or everyone to become a jumper. Well, you know what, not everyone should be a jumper.

This is everything that's wrong with golf instruction and YouTube. It's like reading the jacket cover jacket of book and thinking you know everything inside. I guess it's just the new normal.

What is the number one parameter that determines and matches if someone should be a jumper? Anyone want to guess?

Pulse?

1 hour ago, Soloman1 said:

If I remember correctly according to Wright balance lower core golfers turn through and upper core golfers jump.  Dustin Johnson vs. Lexi Thompson I suppose.

Driver Maltby KE4 w Aeortech Steelfiber SS65 shaft 46.5”
3 wood Rogue subzero 15 degree with Paderson KG70 F30
Hybrids: 3, 4 and 5 Rogue with Steelfiber HLS980 shaft
Irons: 6 through wedge PXG 0311 with Steelfiber i110cw shaft
Wedge: 50 deg 10 deg bounce MacDaddy 4 S Grind
Wedge: 56 deg 10 deg bounce Jaws S Grind
Wedge: 62 deg 10 deg bounce MacDaddy 4 C Grind (bent to 62 degrees from 60 degrees)
Wedges with steelfiber i110 shafts.
Putter: Strokelab EXO 7; 39.25 inches; 77 degree lie angle; Takimac arthritic grip

I had these thoughts in my OP before editing for easier reading, but it seems relevant based on where the discussion has gone:

We’re all different. We have different bodies and brains. We understand words and concepts differently. 

Therefore an idea that suits one person is not necessarily going to suit the guy next to him, who has different tendencies and issues he’s trying to correct. 

For me, however my brain has digested this concept has been positive. It feels subtle to me. I don’t know if what I’m doing would even look any different from what I was doing before, but I like the results I’m seeing and it’s simple to implement. 

There is a concept of the ideal

swing that gets discussed to death on these forums…what is correct and what is incorrect. But even among the world’s elite players there are notable variations in technique.

They're all just trying to find what works best FOR THEM. 

We’re all just trying to find what works best FOR US. 

I think we all understand how hard it is to tell someone what they should be doing based on their own description of their swing or ball flight. It’s equally impossible to tell someone what they shouldn’t try, IMO. 

Callaway Mavrik Max 3+

Callaway Rogue 4 wood

Srixon ZU85 4/23

Srixon Z785 AW

Squatting in the backswing???? Yuck.....now if you are getting at starting the squat near the end of the backswing as you begin the pressure shift..fine.  Adding flex to the rear knee though in the backswing is a no no as it will restrict your hip turn and most people actually need more not less.  The rear leg is supposed to straighten when you go back.

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic 9* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD M9003
FWY: Taylormade Rocketballz Tp 14.5*
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 18*
Irons: Srixon Z765 3-5 iron, z965 6-PW, Project X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: Cleveland CG14 1 dot
Putter: Taylormade Daytona Rossa with agsi.