Best clothes for winter golfing

1 minute ago, dropkicked said:

My playing partner does.. Not sure if they are for rain or colder weather but they are a FJ brand and only available in black.

Does he take them both off to putt?

Titleist TSi3 driver 9* 

Ping Anser 14.5* 3 wood

Titleist TSi2 4 21* 4 hybrid

Taylormade 21 P790 5-P irons

Cleveland CG10 51* Gap

Vokey SM8 55* Sand

Cleveland CG10 60* Lob 

Scotty Cameron Special Squareback Select 2 putter

1 minute ago, dropkicked said:

Yes, 😄

Damn, I like having warm hands but that seems like a bit of a pain. 

Titleist TSi3 driver 9* 

Ping Anser 14.5* 3 wood

Cleveland CG10 51* Gap

Vokey SM8 55* Sand

Cleveland CG10 60* Lob 

18 hours ago, Ruleschamp said:

Do any of our European friends at WRX use anything from Sunderland?  The website looks like it may be aimed at a little older crowd, which I am, as the sizes appear to be more regular than really tapered.   Looks like they have several mid layer and gilet combos, but I have no idea if they are actually warm or just some cheap rubbish.

Sunderland are popular over here, probably behind Galvin green for popularity and ahead of more companies like proquip. Quality brand, sizing more generous than some others. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SouthBayGolfer said:

I saw that but I am 6' and 175lbs, I don't think a small would fit me. Medium probably but doubtful on the small. If my local shop has these in stock I will try them on and see though. 

The size S fits me at 5'7", 150 lbs. You would need at least a M. 

The Ping Norse is probably ok for cart golf, but, it is too warm for me, when, I walk.

As for a neck gaiter/buff/snood. I have an old Turtle Fur fleece one, that, I bought for skiing. We lucked out last year with the weather, so, I haven't had to use it for golf, yet.  It looks like rei has a fair selection online, if you wanted to buy one.

In colder weather I wear three layers of clothing (top) and two layers (bottom).  Depending on temp and sun/wind I have different thickness of base layer, sweater, outer windbreaker.  This gets me through a round with no problems.  Purchase quality gear and you won't regret it. Cheaper in the long run - spend good money once and be done. I specifically use UA base layers, Mizuno Windlite sweaters or vests, and Zero Restriction outer layers.  

Edited by cristphoto

The Nike TW sweaters are very warm.

If it’s windy I will pair the sweater with a light windbreaker vest, as I like to keep my arms out of jacket sleeves. 

Cobra King LTD Pro 8.5 LAGP Tour AXS BLU 60X

TM Sim2 Max 15.0 Ventus Black Velocore 7x

TM M3 19.0 Diamana WB 80x

TM 2019 P790 4-P Project X 6.5 Taper

Vokey Sm8 50F 60M Project X 6.0 Taper

Cleveland Zipcore 54 Project X 6.0 Taper

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock LAGP TPZ 180 | Bridgestone Tour B X (Testing Pro V1x Left Dash) 

Multiple layers depending on the temp and how cold it is and will allow for removing one or two if necessary, mittens that are easy on easy off for in between holes, a hat that covers the ears is a must, and in the U.K. I know they call them a "snood" but something that covers the nose, mouth, and neck is mandatory for me also. I will also wear my rain pants with thermal compression layers underneath so that the wind doesn't cut through.  I also wear my rain boots that keep my feet warm.  Man...playing in the winter is a lot of work now that I think about it! 

Snood from Bunker Mentality

Snood-B-Blue-W_091fbf02-016f-4865-ab53-3f3e28deadc0_1800x1800.jpg?v=1615824916

Footjoy Specialty Boots (They are actually really light but very warm and comfortable as the wind doesn't cut through them at all) 

FootJoy Specialty Golf Boots

Titleist Cart Mitts

Sunice Thermal Pullovers are fantastic but have to shop around to find reasonable prices. 

S7700-1531-5-4-01.jpg

Of course when layering up the fit of things is important so that you are warm but not restricted so making sure everything fits properly is paramount.  

17 hours ago, SouthBayGolfer said:

Do you own that one? Does it work well? seems pretty cheap for what it is. 

I bought this vest on the recommendation from others here. It works well but sizing is a little odd. I had to order a different size because it was a little small for me. I gave the first one to my wife. While the larger size was a bit longer, it wasn't as fitted as I would like. It's still warm though! I would recommend it for the price.

6 hours ago, Righty to Lefty said:

Multiple layers depending on the temp and how cold it is and will allow for removing one or two if necessary, mittens that are easy on easy off for in between holes, a hat that covers the ears is a must, and in the U.K. I know they call them a "snood" but something that covers the nose, mouth, and neck is mandatory for me also. I will also wear my rain pants with thermal compression layers underneath so that the wind doesn't cut through.  I also wear my rain boots that keep my feet warm.  Man...playing in the winter is a lot of work now that I think about it! 

Snood from Bunker Mentality

Footjoy Specialty Boots (They are actually really light but very warm and comfortable as the wind doesn't cut through them at all) 

Sunice Thermal Pullovers are fantastic but have to shop around to find reasonable prices. 

Of course when layering up the fit of things is important so that you are warm but not restricted so making sure everything fits properly is paramount.  

Good info, thank you for the details! 

Titleist TSi3 driver 9* 

Ping Anser 14.5* 3 wood

Cleveland CG10 51* Gap

Vokey SM8 55* Sand

Cleveland CG10 60* Lob 

5 hours ago, x5andr6 said:

I bought this vest on the recommendation from others here. It works well but sizing is a little odd. I had to order a different size because it was a little small for me. I gave the first one to my wife. While the larger size was a bit longer, it wasn't as fitted as I would like. It's still warm though! I would recommend it for the price.

I will keep that in the back of my mind, not sure if it is necessary in the climate I play in or not. I do hate being cold though so maybe a good option to have. 

Titleist TSi3 driver 9* 

Ping Anser 14.5* 3 wood

Cleveland CG10 51* Gap

Vokey SM8 55* Sand

Cleveland CG10 60* Lob 

3 minutes ago, TheGuywiththeWhiteBelt said:

Im a Galvin Green believer. My pull over is super warm yet not restricting and the rain gear is great here in the NW. 

Never heard of it, I just checked the website, those are some steep prices! I will not play in the rain so not sure I need hardcore raingear but it will certainly be a bit wet out here. 

Titleist TSi3 driver 9* 

Ping Anser 14.5* 3 wood

Cleveland CG10 51* Gap

Vokey SM8 55* Sand

Cleveland CG10 60* Lob 

20 minutes ago, SouthBayGolfer said:

Never heard of it, I just checked the website, those are some steep prices! I will not play in the rain so not sure I need hardcore raingear but it will certainly be a bit wet out here. 

It is expensive, though its usually pretty discounted at our club with "member pricing" which makes it a little more reasonable. Also you can usually find their stuff for sale on sites like trendy golfer, etc. 

22 hours ago, bellken said:

The size S fits me at 5'7", 150 lbs. You would need at least a M. 

The Ping Norse is probably ok for cart golf, but, it is too warm for me, when, I walk.

As for a neck gaiter/buff/snood. I have an old Turtle Fur fleece one, that, I bought for skiing. We lucked out last year with the weather, so, I haven't had to use it for golf, yet.  It looks like rei has a fair selection online, if you wanted to buy one.

On 9/29/2021 at 9:49 AM, SouthBayGolfer said:

Definitely don't have a neck layer, any recommendations? 

Something like this wool one. I use a Turtle Fur fleece for skiing but they are a bit bulky for a golf swing - keep in mind skiing temps are typically below freezing and golf does not require that level of warmth. 

https://www.rei.com/product/789718/buff-lightweight-merino-wool-multifunctional-headwear?sku=7897180005&store=30&cm_mmc=PLA_Google|21700000001700551_7897180005|92700058213452608|BA|71700000074727234&gclid=Cj0KCQjwwNWKBhDAARIsAJ8HkhfMl1tW6Oylme_Jbeojz892IDSz-yLN5tXcUaFKaK-wZ9NMa_EwVoUaAsqMEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Also want to reiterate merino wool as a base layer. Wool naturally adjusts to your body temperature and perspiration so it is much more versatile than a standard compression base layer. In addition to being very warm I actually find that wool allows me to keep outer layers on as I warm up, which is very convenient. I play down to the low 40s and usually have long sleeve wool base, golf shirt, sweatshirt/sweater, and maybe a vest if it’s windy. I wear corduroy pants and don’t need an additional bottom layer, but I always walk when I play.

• Like 2

D| Ping G400 HZRDUS Smoke Black 60 6.5

4W| Cobra F9 Tour 16* PROFORCE V2 Black 7F5

H| Ping G400 22* PROFORCE V2 Black 85F5

4-P| New Level 902 DG S400 TI

GW| Maltby DBM DG Black Onyx S400 TI 

SW| Maltby M-Series+ Tour DG Black Onyx S400 TI

LW| Maltby Tour Grind MG DG Black Onyx S400 TI

P| Yes! Evelyn 12

Ball| Snell MTB Black

51 minutes ago, RolandofGilead said:

Something like this wool one. I use a Turtle Fur fleece for skiing but they are a bit bulky for a golf swing - keep in mind skiing temps are typically below freezing and golf does not require that level of warmth. 

https://www.rei.com/product/789718/buff-lightweight-merino-wool-multifunctional-headwear?sku=7897180005&store=30&cm_mmc=PLA_Google|21700000001700551_7897180005|92700058213452608|BA|71700000074727234&gclid=Cj0KCQjwwNWKBhDAARIsAJ8HkhfMl1tW6Oylme_Jbeojz892IDSz-yLN5tXcUaFKaK-wZ9NMa_EwVoUaAsqMEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Also want to reiterate merino wool as a base layer. Wool naturally adjusts to your body temperature and perspiration so it is much more versatile than a standard compression base layer. In addition to being very warm I actually find that wool allows me to keep outer layers on as I warm up, which is very convenient. I play down to the low 40s and usually have long sleeve wool base, golf shirt, sweatshirt/sweater, and maybe a vest if it’s windy. I wear corduroy pants and don’t need an additional bottom layer, but I always walk when I play.

Good tips, I think I need to make a trip to my local REI and grab some wool base layers. 

Titleist TSi3 driver 9* 

Ping Anser 14.5* 3 wood

Cleveland CG10 51* Gap

Vokey SM8 55* Sand

Cleveland CG10 60* Lob 

• 2 weeks later...

I really liked a pair of nike golf pants I got last year. I think they were the flex repel or the winterized golf pants. Pants are windproof, water resistant have have a brushed fabric on the inside to keep the legs nice and warm. Really liked the idea of wearing more normal flexible golf pants when its cold vs long johns or rain pants 

Walking winter golfer in PNW.  I find that an umbrella on my push cart solves most rain issues because I stay under it except when hitting or putting.  If it's raining and blowing hard enough that the umbrella won't keep me dry then I'm not going to be golfing that day.

Long pants, warm socks, water proof shoes, and usually just a shirt with a 1/4 zip pullover will keep me warm down to 40 F.  Any colder and I'll add another thin layer, usually a long sleeve t shirt.

If it's frozen I'll add long johns but I rarely play frozen conditions with temp greens anymore.

• Like 1

A good compression base layer is key.  I try to wear a little as possible to avoid swing restriction.  A good wind blocker vest is good too, keeps the arms free.  Wasn't much of a vest guy until I started wearing one duck hunting now I wear one all the time in the winter.  Good duck hunting clothing works well on the course too as being restricted isn't good for shooting.  

The old tried and true.  Mizuno Windlite 

Keeps me warm with just a short sleeve golf shirt underneath even in low 40's degrees.

TM SIM 8* | AutoFlex SF505X at 46.75"

Mizuno ST-Z 15*| Diamana D+ White 7 X 

TM P790 2 IRON UDI | HZRDUS SMOKE 100 6.5

SRIXON ZX7 3-PW | Mitsubishi MMT 125 TX

Cleveland Zipcore Tour Rack 

50* (Mid) Rounded Edge | Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 125 TX

54* (Full) S Grind | Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 125 TX

TM MY SPIDER X BLACK 34"

TM TP5X

I'd try different things on at REI - you'll find something for sure.

I got an Arcteryx Atom light jacket a few years ago - incredibly warm/light.  Great products from that company.

Driver (9.0) - Cobra F9 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips