Irons for a bogey golfer

playit

Based on what my brother tells me (lives distant to me), his handicap is likely around 18. He is one to think that technology is his answer. Based on his descriptions and me seeing him swing a good while ago, he is not generating much clubhead speed and I think he needs to fix his swing first, maybe even get some pro lessons, but he might not listen to me. As for buying new irons, what do you think would be the best way for him to figure out what he is best suited for? His first set was some Eye2 clone component clubs he put together. Then he bought some used Ping GI irons, I forget which model. He tends to think he should get more of a blade shaped iron and learn to hit it but I favor him using GI technology to gain whatever advantage that allows. Regardless, how can he evaluate and determine what is / should be a good choice?

There is no right answer.....Yes lessons, but 35yrs of golfing tell me a set of irons can provide better results than expected....

Some golfers hit blades better- even 20+ hdcp - maybe they are terrible with woods or have a short game using opposed thumbs 

You just don't know until after the purchase......

• Like 2

Ping Sunday Bag
9 Clubs of Freedom

Game improvement irons can help where accuracy is concerned, but they won't improve distance. You can buy all the clubs you want, but you can't buy a good swing.

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with senior flex graphite shafts

JumboMax Ultra Lite size M on driver, size S on the rest

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

PXG!

0211 DC.... $80.....Easy to hit, long, great feel, and cheap

Buy All-New PXG 2021 0211 DualCor Golf Irons | PXG

CALLAWAY Customs (Black w/Silver) "The FREAK" Mavrik Sub Zero Driver, 9* (10*), Accra TZ6/M5 72g X

CALLAWAY Apex UW 17* LAGolf Tour Issue Prototype Trono 75x

PXG GEN4 0311ST, Xtreme Dark, 4 - 9, CT Lite/Std LE Black X, PW, GW, PX 6.5 Blackout

PXG GEN4 0311T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - 9, CT Lite/Std LE Black X, PW, GW, PX 6.5 Blackout

PXG GEN4 0311XP/GEN0311P, Xtreme Dark, 5 - 9, CT Lite/Std LE Black X, PW, GW, PX 6.5 Blackout 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 56*/10, 60*/7, PX 6.5 Blackout //  CALLAWAY JAWS MD5 Custom Wedges, 54*(55*)/10S, 60*/08C; PX LS 6.5....TOULON GARAGE Austin Custom Rose Gold // SCOTTY CAMERON Santa Fe T3 Custom Antique Copper  .... STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550// Cobalt Q6 Slope

If he is not going to work on his game then get something like the Cleveland halo xl’s.  It will make life easy on him.  If he is, and lacks club head speed, something like the pxg 0211’s are fairly inexpensive and will get him some distance and forgiveness (plenty of similar options but pxg is competitively priced).  Sub 70 699’s are a good option also.
a lot of people on here think the only way to play golf is seriously with lessons and a desire to improve.  Some people don’t want to work hard at their recreation and will have more fun with some shovels that make life easier for them.

• Like 3

Until he figures out his swing, he can play anything that isn’t too expensive. For me, it is not worth dropping more than 300 dollars on a set of irons and if you can get away with a driver and 3 wood for another $300 then there you go

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5*  TP7HD 

Adams 18* 

Mizuno 921 Hotmetal 4-Gw Steelfiber 110S

Mizuno T7 54/58 KBS 

Cleveland Frontline Elevado
Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

If his handicap is an 18, he's scoring in the low 90's, maybe a high 80 here and there. A lot better than the avg weekend hacker, so something in his game he is doing right consistently. What makes him think new irons will drop his handicap? So ask him which club(s) in the bag usually bring about the wayward shot? Driver? FW? Still bagging old loft 3 & 4i? 15 year old wedges which don't put any spin on a chip? Bullseye style putter with electrical tape on a warn out grip? (I'm exaggerating here) Rather than fix all the clubs, maybe just update some. Replace the long irons with a hybrid or two. Dump the 3w for a 5w. A new wedge that is a prior model for some cost savings. A different putter or a super-stroke style grip to take the wrists out of the equation. If he can replace the clubs which are not performing, maybe he can drop some strokes off the handicap. Just a thought.

Ping G400 Max 10.5°, Ping Distanza R flex, std length

**Cleveland Launcher Turbo HB 3W, R flex std length in bag for Fall try-out
Ping G400 3W & 5W, 14.5° & 17.5°, Ping Alta CB 3w, Grafalloy Prulaunch 45 5w, both R flex std length, both at small + setting.
Ping G30 4 Hyb, 22°, Alta CB R flex, std length

Ping G 5 Hyb, 26°, Alta CB R flex, std length

Cleveland Launcher UHX 6-D Wedge + CBX2 SW, std loft/lie, Dynamic Gold DST 98 steel R flex, std length
Cleveland Smart Sole SW, 58°, Dynamic Gold wedge flex, std length

Odyssey #7, SuperStroke Flatso 2.0, 35"

Srixon or Callaway, softer/lower compression balls

3 hours ago, jomatty said:

If he is not going to work on his game then get something like the Cleveland halo xl’s.  It will make life easy on him.  If he is, and lacks club head speed, something like the pxg 0211’s are fairly inexpensive and will get him some distance and forgiveness (plenty of similar options but pxg is competitively priced).  Sub 70 699’s are a good option also.
a lot of people on here think the only way to play golf is seriously with lessons and a desire to improve.  Some people don’t want to work hard at their recreation and will have more fun with some shovels that make life easier for them.

In addition, some people are more realistic about their abilities and accept that age and wear/tear can take you to a place where lessons won't necessarily save the cat.

The Halo XLs are great clubs. Terrible for the ego, great for the ball flight...

• Like 3

G400Max Xtorsion 60S | Cobra F9 3W Devo 7S | F9 3H Devo 8S

XL Halo 5H | G425 6-7H Tensei OrangeS |  Halo XL 8-DW CypherS

Glide3 Eye2 55-60 Recoil Proto W | Nova or ER2B

7 hours ago, playit said:

His first set was some Eye2 clone component clubs he put together. Then he bought some used Ping GI irons, I forget which model. He tends to think he should get more of a blade shaped iron and learn to hit it but I favor him using GI technology to gain whatever advantage that allows.

Advice from a teaching pro I worked with for four years: Get clubs for the swing you have today, not the swing you hope to have next year. If he has an 18 HDCP, he needs to stay away from blades.

If he's smart he would:

1. Take a golf lesson and work on getting wobbles out of swing.
  2. Follow up lessons (and practice!!!) with a fitting.

He's trying to buy a golf swing with hit-and-miss trial of different clubs. It doesn't work.

As an 18ish HDCP golfer, he needs clubs that won't hurt his game.

If he doesn't follow steps 1 and 2, write him off as a lost cause.

• Like 2

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2021, post-MAX changeover)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, set 9.5°; weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

This is the wrong forum to ask about clubs for an average golfer.  Most people here will suggest irons that are commonly played on the PGA tour so make your own conclusion about that.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 4 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
Mizuno JPX 929 Hot Metal w/Nippon 950S
Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
Ping Anser - the "real deal!"

He already has the irons to help his game, but I would like to know why his swing is slow, compared to what? If it is that slow, then it sounds like graphite shafts are in order. They will reduce physical issues that we face as we get older and the extra length and flex can really help. I ordered Ping G710 with 1/2" over and the Power Spec lofts., and they are much longer for me. There are options that a fitter could help him with, and I think the shaft is critical here. 

Ping G Max 10.5

TM Sim Max 5 & 7 wd  

Ping G410 4, 5, & 6 hy

AP1 714 7-aw2 

MD5 54* 10ss

Toulon Columbus 

https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/clearance/clearance-single-irons/

He could try a light or ladies 7 iron with a graphite shaft. 

The Apex 19  7I with a ladies shaft on sale right now has an LL flex. Details: | Shaft Type: Graph Design Tour AD 50i | Flex: Womens

Edited by ShortGolfer

If we're seeing these....

On 9/29/2021 at 12:42 PM, jomatty said:

f he is not going to work on his game then get something like the Cleveland halo xl’s.  It will make life easy on him.

On 9/29/2021 at 3:19 PM, ephmen said:

Cleveland Launcher UHX on clearance now. Great irons, very forgiving, not too chunky. 

21 hours ago, platgof said:

I ordered Ping G710 with 1/2" over and the Power Spec lofts., and they are much longer for me.

Where did this come from?

22 hours ago, Nessism said:

This is the wrong forum to ask about clubs for an average golfer.  Most people here will suggest irons that are commonly played on the PGA tour so make your own conclusion about that.

I may be out of the loop, but I doubt that Rory and Jordan play UHX or G710 iron...

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2021, post-MAX changeover)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, set 9.5°; weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

1 hour ago, Esox said:

If I had one choice to fit someone with a club that would provide good distance and directional control on mishit shots, yet be a set one could use at most any handicap, I'd tell them to get a set of Titleist T300's.

Or Ping G425's.

But if he wants to move to 'more of a blade iron' the Srixon ZX 5 is an iron that looks more player/bladey in terms of size, shape and appearance at address but has plenty of forgiveness and help built into it. 

Edited by kiwihacker
  • Like 1

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX 2 50°/10°, RTX 2 54°/12, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

2 hours ago, Esox said:

If I had one choice to fit someone with a club that would provide good distance and directional control on mishit shots, yet be a set one could use at most any handicap, I'd tell them to get a set of Titleist T300's.

T300 compared with the new XL Halos

G400Max Xtorsion 60S | Cobra F9 3W Devo 7S | F9 3H Devo 8S

XL Halo 5H | G425 6-7H Tensei OrangeS |  Halo XL 8-DW CypherS

Glide3 Eye2 55-60 Recoil Proto W | Nova or ER2B

1 hour ago, Esox said:

He sure hit them well. I know they say pretty is as pretty does, but those Halos are hideous. A bag full of hybrids. I could never bag them.

I bagged the original hi-bores the summer of their release. It stayed extremely wet that whole season.....I had so much fun bagging those clubs 🤣 even shot a 68 

If it were dry - no way! but in lush conditions....those things were easy

Ping Sunday Bag
9 Clubs of Freedom

2 hours ago, Esox said:

He sure hit them well. I know they say pretty is as pretty does, but those Halos are hideous. A bag full of hybrids. I could never bag them.

If they dropped your handicap by ten strokes you wouldn't care what they look like. Probably before your time, but there was a song called 'Get an ugly girl to marry you' that had as one verse:

Say man.
Hey baby.
I saw your wife the other day.
Yeah?
Yeah, she's ugly.
Man, she's ugly but she sure can cook, baby.

I care about clubs that can cook. I didn't buy them to look at them.

• Like 2

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with senior flex graphite shafts

JumboMax Ultra Lite size M on driver, size S on the rest

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

7 hours ago, Billfitz said:

I care about clubs that can cook. I didn't buy them to look at them.

I understand. Going to the thick top line of the T300s, coming from old Yonex Tour blades and Mizzy MX20's, there was a bit of an optical adjustment for me.  The good part was that the T300's have less offset than the MX20's, and they much reduced my over drawn to downright hooked shots. I got used to them. I am sure one could easily adjust to an 8 iron that looks like a fairway wood at address if it produced desirable results, heck I started carrying a 7 and 9 wood for the results......

On 9/29/2021 at 2:40 PM, playit said:

Do you guys thinks fitting sessions work? Do they truly reveal what would be a good choice? (The only thing that matters is do scores go down after that choice.)

They work without a doubt. I hit a dozen different clubs with different shafts in some before getting my current irons.